We need a more generic trailer

WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
The 2 more presentable videos for NS2 being used currently, I think, aren't great representations to new players.
The video on the Steam Store page is the Exosuit Reveal and the video on NaturalSelection2.com is still Gorilla.

The Exo Reveal is far too focused on 1 facet of gameplay and I don't think represents NS2 very well to new, prospecting players visiting the pre-order page on Steam. Someone who has never seen NS before and watches that video will think the game is focused around getting a mech suit.

Meanwhile, Gorilla is pretty well out of date now. It's style is a much better overall representation of NS2. We could really use an updated video, similar to Gorilla, that focuses on orienting prospecting players to what NS is and what makes it different from other games out there. Show off the vast differences between playing the 2 sides, give equal screentime to the rine and alien commanders and how they are so different, etc.

We're in need of something that puts NS2 in a nut-shell that anyone can understand and say "Wow! That looks really different and interesting!"

Comments

• DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, we definitely need more commander play and structures in the videos, otherwise people will think it's just something like AvP.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1971967:date=Sep 5 2012, 11:11 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Sep 5 2012, 11:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1971967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, we definitely need more commander play and structures in the videos, otherwise people will think it's just something like AvP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Pretty much the feel I got from the Exo video.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Agreed, and I've mentioned it in another thread that they should put Gorilla as the default trailer on steam(that has more buildings being built and commander view stuff) and Exo as a 2nd trailer.

Or does steam only allow you to put up one trailer?
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1971967:date=Sep 5 2012, 10:11 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Sep 5 2012, 10:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1971967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, we definitely need more commander play and structures in the videos, otherwise people will think it's just something like AvP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dunno, it cannot have too much otherwise it may lose the energy of the trailer. First person is far more engaging than command view, whats important is that they show there is a commander.

I do agree though that the exosuit trailer has very little biting in it - mostly marine play, with bit of onos and fade. One of NS2s highlights is seeing through an aliens mouth.
  • KrizzenKrizzen Join Date: 2011-12-16 Member: 138181Members
    I agree.

If I didn't know what NS2 was about, after watching the Exo video, I'd say it's about running around as a mech blasting little aliens.

Honestly, they should focus on the basics, and only THEN highlight the big stuff. Show some marine on skulk action, and some commanding... then just a few seconds of the good stuff.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    Same here, awesome idea
  • SPASMadnessSPASMadness Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156958Members
    edited September 2012
    I think they'll do it for the final release. Making these videos take time and they just released an awesome one. They have a lot to do right now and this is not a priority, a launch trailer will probably show up in october.
  • KrizzenKrizzen Join Date: 2011-12-16 Member: 138181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1972220:date=Sep 5 2012, 04:29 PM:name=SPASMadness)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SPASMadness @ Sep 5 2012, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think they'll do it for the final release. Making these videos take time and they just released an awesome one. They have a lot to do right now and this is not a priority, a launch trailer will probably show up in october.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly, the video overall wasn't too mind-blowing like I would expect, though I have to say the cinematic part was fantastic.

Also, NS2 is currently #5 on Steam's Top Sellers list. With a better video, they could be 4th, or 3rd, or... you get the idea. Presentation is *absolutely crucial* in any storefront.
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    Agreed. The trailer will be misleading to people who don't know what NS is all about...
    Many people who will open the steam page, most likely will watch the first minute of the trailer without even reading the game description. As soon as they will get the impression that "it's just another shooter" they will leave the page NEVER TO RETURN :O

Even if UWE decide to mainly focus on showing First-person view, they need to show the viewer that there's some type of team work, strategy involved. I showed the trailer to one of my friends who's a big fan of RTS games, but the trailer ended up giving her headache because there's just too much going on. Don't get me wrong, the trailer is AWESOME, I even had goose bumps, but it's because the trailer is mostly targeted at people who played NS1 and/or NS2, she kinda ended up missing the point of the game.

<b>Creating an appropriate trailer should be a priority to UWE if they want to get more attention.</b>
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited September 2012
    We need a launch trailer that's almost entirely gameplay (skulking, lurking, shooting various guns, and commanding as both sides) with short cuts to cinematics from the various release/reveal trailers.

Hugh's got gameplay footage to spare. Maybe we can use some of that.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Something a little more unique perhaps?

<fade in marine 1st person view, game starting>
    *player 1 in mic* Who's gonna command?
    *player 2 in mic, preferably with a fat loser voice* "I suck at commanding!"
    <camera focus on player 3>
    *player 3 in mic, preferably epic voice, see if Samuel L. Jackson is available* "I'll do it."
    <1st person marine moves into CC and drops an armory, saying> "Go go, guys, get me some rt's!"

I think something like that would really peak my interest, instead of a classic AAA-title movie-style opener. Just throwing it out there.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just add the gorilla and fade trailer to the steam site.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, yes. All of you are right. Let's wait for October for a new trailer to come.

But if anything, this trailer should act like a movie trailer as best. A mix out of this should fix all problems:

1/10 - Atmossphere
    2/10 - Universe
    3/10 - Game Technology
    4/10 - First Person Element
    5/10 - Real Time Strategy Element
    6/10 - Aliens
    7/10 - Marines
    8/10 - Environment
    9 /10 - Moddability
    10/10 - Future ahead
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I am inclined to agree, but let's keep it realistic. Who's going to make another trailer, and what work will be postponed for that? They already made quite a few trailers, and it's not like they're a big studio with a whole department full of people doing nothing but make trailers and other PR work. And Hugh is good but he can't make 5 clones of himself. I wonder if someone in the community is skilled enough and willing to make a trailer for them.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Here's a small suggestion: Record your own ingame footage and combine it with the existing trailers - BOOM! :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Something like this pre Onos and EXO footage (#13 on me NS2 playlist @ <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtA7RU4nlRQ" target="_blank">build188</a>), but having some commander stuff in there as well?
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1972815:date=Sep 6 2012, 10:33 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Sep 6 2012, 10:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972815"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Something like this pre Onos and EXO footage (#13 on me NS2 playlist @ <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtA7RU4nlRQ" target="_blank">build188</a>), but having some commander stuff in there as well?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That was pretty much all atmosphere. I'm more with whoppaXXL's suggestion.

<!--quoteo(post=1972809:date=Sep 6 2012, 10:20 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Sep 6 2012, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am inclined to agree, but let's keep it realistic. Who's going to make another trailer, and what work will be postponed for that? They already made quite a few trailers, and it's not like they're a big studio with a whole department full of people doing nothing but make trailers and other PR work. And Hugh is good but he can't make 5 clones of himself. I wonder if someone in the community is skilled enough and willing to make a trailer for them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Making these trailers is part of Hugh's job, I'd certainly hope he has the time for it. Aren't all the big conventions over with? I know that stuff was sucking up all his time before.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1972242:date=Sep 5 2012, 10:06 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Sep 5 2012, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972242"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Something a little more unique perhaps?

<fade in marine 1st person view, game starting>
    *player 1 in mic* Who's gonna command?
    *player 2 in mic, preferably with a fat loser voice* "I suck at commanding!"
    <camera focus on player 3>
    *player 3 in mic, preferably epic voice, see if Samuel L. Jackson is available* "I'll do it."
    <1st person marine moves into CC and drops an armory, saying> "Go go, guys, get me some rt's!"

I think something like that would really peak my interest, instead of a classic AAA-title movie-style opener. Just throwing it out there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You are damn right. Would be <i>the</i> perfect introduction.