marine black armor

pvthochpvthoch Join Date: 2012-03-28 Member: 149528Members
edited September 2012 in NS2 General Discussion

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    You had to pre-order the game back when black armor was offered.

That or buy a code from someone who did for a lot of money.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Selling black armour 500 dollars.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Cheap!!!

I want at least 50,000 Euro's for mine. I might have my Black Armor a while...
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    On the <b>black market</b>?

Ok, that one was bad.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited September 2012
    The black armor was a special one time offer for anyone who pre-ordered the (twice as expensive) alpha version in NS2 nearly 2 years ago before the game was anything even remotely close to playable.
  • Raptor091288Raptor091288 Join Date: 2002-07-15 Member: 955Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1970644:date=Sep 3 2012, 04:10 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Sep 3 2012, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The black armor was a special one time offer for anyone who pre-ordered the (twice as expensive) alpha version if NS2 nearly 2 years ago before the game was anything even remotely close to playable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And only fools would pay half-price to NOT get the black armor back then. I know a bunch of people that didn't pre-order it because it wasn't exactly finished at the time... They missed out on the black armor and will forever be jelly of mine. I'm actually glad I'm seeing a smaller and smaller ratio of black armor vs normal armor, not because I'm becoming more and more special, but because it means more and more people are buying the game, though the fact mine is 'special' definitely helps. Used to be everywhere on everybody, not that I've kept track but it seems like it's about 1 in 3 right now.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    They should really make a Black Exo special edition for steam pre-orders, or maybe on launch.
    I'd buy a second copy of NS2 just for that, keep the Black Exo code and gift the NS2 copy to a friend.
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2012
    Though free things come along when you know people and wh-I mean be nice enough.
    @ Onii-chan Saba has been talking about a 'rustic' Exo that looks like it's been in a few tussles for the past gen or two and made it through. Whether or not Saba will actually do anything or any of it being true is improbable. >.>
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yup, in short, black armor was a bonus for anyone who paid for the $40 pre-order around the alpha period instead of going with the $20 pre-order. I remember deciding I didn't care about NS2 at that point, they deserved my monies just for having made NS1 :D
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    I have black armor. I deserve it because I'm special. It makes me a better person than those trashy greenies.
  • MorshuMorshu Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155539Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Speaking of black armor is it true you do 3% additional damage like some people were saying couple months back? :P

Other than that I wouldn't like to see them 'sell' the black armor along with the steam pre-order since those people craving for it didn't care to pre-order the game when the offer were standing but now the offer is LONG gone then they should deal with it and leave it at that.

If anything they could add a skin for the Exo or maybe even the skulk perhaps? (rusty, scars, chomp marks, missing fangs/etc.) if it's going to be some kind of 'unique' skin coming along with the pre-order.

But I figure there won't be anything like that but the supposedly 10% off when pre-ordering if they are going to have that like most releases on STEAM.

PS:
    Hurray for unknown worlds! NS2 finally hits on STEAM! MMMMMMMMMMMM!
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    I don't think I've ever actually noticed a Black Armor in-game. I have to look for it the next time I game. As for myself, I'm not sure if I have it. I think I paid full-price back in the day, but it was so long ago...
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1970820:date=Sep 4 2012, 11:56 AM:name=Namm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namm @ Sep 4 2012, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think I've ever actually noticed a Black Armor in-game. I have to look for it the next time I game. As for myself, I'm not sure if I have it. I think I paid full-price back in the day, but it was so long ago...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the premium pre-orders got a an activation code for the alpha/beta game and then another code for activating the black armour as a DLC. If you haven't added the separate armour code, then armour stays green.

Oh, and if I'm incorrect, please say so. This is how I remember it from years back, and I don't have access to my Steam right now!
  • ExitusExitus Join Date: 2003-06-17 Member: 17424Members
    As a Old Fart .. let old people have their black armor ;)
  • rinerriner Join Date: 2010-01-04 Member: 69881Members
    cant believe this day has come!!! on the i time i bought the alpha pre release with black armor i thought, fk this armor everyone will have it anyway...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    I encountered a server full of Green armoured marines in the readyroom, needless to say, I got swarmed with questions as to WTF my armour was black. I never would've thought that day would come what with more black armoured marines than green, the tables have turned!
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1970922:date=Sep 4 2012, 11:37 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Sep 4 2012, 11:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I encountered a server full of Green armoured marines in the readyroom, needless to say, I got swarmed with questions as to WTF my armour was black. I never would've thought that day would come what with more black armoured marines than green, the tables have turned!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

tell them you earned it by shooting cardboard cutouts on rockdown
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I now regret not getting black armor. Thanks kouji
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1970959:date=Sep 4 2012, 02:30 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Sep 4 2012, 02:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tell them you earned it by shooting cardboard cutouts on rockdown<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes, great times!
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I still think we need a term for the black armor.
    Something like "First Wave" or something else indicating we've been around since the beginning of the war.

Dude we could turn the tides, a first wave just joined the server.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1970966:date=Sep 4 2012, 12:47 PM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Sep 4 2012, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970966"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still think we need a term for the black armor.
    Something like "First Wave" or something else indicating we've been around since the beginning of the war.

"Dude we could turn the tides, a first wave just joined the server."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

AWESOME QUOTE!
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I like it. "First Wave" marines.

I too am enjoying seeing the diversity in marine colors. It's cool to be able to see in game who has been around the longest, and I've been surprised by how good some of the green armors are. As the game gets closer to release, I feel like I'm actually getting that extra $20 of value out of that armor.

I don't think it would be smart for UWE to score their "first wave" players by offering something even cooler in the future which they would not be eligible for (having already paid for the game long ago).

It would be cool to see something to indicate who had beta access (retroactively given to everyone who bought it from their site).
  • Raptor091288Raptor091288 Join Date: 2002-07-15 Member: 955Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1970972:date=Sep 4 2012, 11:58 AM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Sep 4 2012, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970972"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like it. "First Wave" marines.

I too am enjoying seeing the diversity in marine colors. It's cool to be able to see in game who has been around the longest, and I've been surprised by how good some of the green armors are. As the game gets closer to release, I feel like I'm actually getting that extra $20 of value out of that armor.

I don't think it would be smart for UWE to score their "first wave" players by offering something even cooler in the future which they would not be eligible for (having already paid for the game long ago).

It would be cool to see something to indicate who had beta access (retroactively given to everyone who bought it from their site).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Something simple like the constellation member icon from NS1 on the scoreboard would work for a 'beta icon' type thing. I'm kinda disappointed I never had the chance to do that back in the day, but oh well. I have my black marine armor now and it almost makes up for it.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new pre-order bonus through steam... Provided people that have already pre-ordered get it as well. Wouldn't make much sense for it to be exclusive to people who have pre-ordered AFTER a certain date.
  • falcfalc Join Date: 2011-03-18 Member: 87128Members
    edited September 2012
    Seriously. We need hats... a lot of hats.

Maybe someone give Valve a call? I heard they had quiet a bit experience with such things.

edith:
    And a crossbow would be nice, for the lerk ... when you headshot a marine, they could reintroduce the death scream for this.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    If I'm not mistaken, the black armour is a reference to the black ops model pack from NS1. So yeah, it may not be original, but black ops is what it is.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1970827:date=Sep 4 2012, 04:10 AM:name=Squirreli_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squirreli_ @ Sep 4 2012, 04:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970827"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the premium pre-orders got a an activation code for the alpha/beta game and then another code for activating the black armour as a DLC. If you haven't added the separate armour code, then armour stays green.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are correct.

Also, I am completely digging the thought of "First Wave."
    Now if only it meant you were good!

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tell them you earned it by shooting cardboard cutouts on rockdown<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

done and done
  • Joker_fXJoker_fX Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157399Members
    I played NS1 back in the day when it was just a Mod for HL1 and only had like 4 servers.

so can i get orange armor and be called the "Gordon Freeman wave" ? :P
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1970959:date=Sep 4 2012, 05:30 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Sep 4 2012, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tell them you earned it by shooting cardboard cutouts on rockdown<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't remind me of that map, god damn.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    B.A.D - Black Armor Division
  • Firepower01Firepower01 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154658Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1970756:date=Sep 4 2012, 12:07 AM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Sep 4 2012, 12:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970756"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yup, in short, black armor was a bonus for anyone who paid for the $40 pre-order around the alpha period instead of going with the $20 pre-order. I remember deciding I didn't care about NS2 at that point, they deserved my monies just for having made NS1 :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I paid 35 dollars for my pre-order....