TWG?

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
<div class="IPBDescription">Come on, we really should you know :)</div>I've Necromanced a thread in the Role-Playing Haven Forum <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=104811" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=104811</a>.

With activity now pretty high on the forums, is now the right time to TWG?

Let me know...

For those who don't have a clue what I am talking about.. Read through this - <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=102174" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=102174</a>

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Going back through <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91224" target="_blank">Freya</a> makes me cringe at past lolfighter's ###### as ###### writing. That link is there for you to laugh at and mock, by the way. But I'm a little proud that it was the longest game by page count. Also holy ###### it was stressful to try to be on top of everything and having to write stories under serious time pressure and with plot constraints, but very rewarding.

If you or someone else wants to start it up again, I say go for it. I'm too busy lately myself, but if you advertise in both OT and General you could probably get enough people together. And what's lost if not? A few minutes to write a post and maybe an hour of organization and planning.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The stories are made up at short notice, what can you do!!! The stories in general are brilliant when the game is going on, but with hindsight and fresh eyes, maybe they don't all stand up so well.

Shame you don't have time for this now, but I am sure if we can get this going again, you will be involved at some point. BTW aren't you the Keeper of the Rules?
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1970872:date=Sep 4 2012, 02:38 PM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Sep 4 2012, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The stories are made up at short notice, what can you do!!! The stories in general are brilliant when the game is going on, but with hindsight and fresh eyes, maybe they don't all stand up so well.

Shame you don't have time for this now, but I am sure if we can get this going again, you will be involved at some point. BTW aren't you the Keeper of the Rules?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Keeper of the Rules does not even sound familiar, so I doubt it's me.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    That was im_lost.

I dono if I would be up for another game or not. I'm not on IRC any more due to having a job where I actually give a darn, so that's a strike against me playing. However, they were a lot of fun.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I was thinking myself that IRC is kindof a dead medium these days, I've never liked IRC, I only ever used it for the TWG's, and hated using it then too :(

I would suppose that first TWG would probably need to stick to the same guidelines though. And it should also be 'Classic' game with just the normal roles to start with.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I might be game as well. Only played a few times and always died quickly.
    Getting there ever so slowly...
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    The amount of effort that was put into TWG is astonishing.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Could some one tell be what TWG is?
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1974258:date=Sep 8 2012, 07:18 PM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Sep 8 2012, 07:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could some one tell be what TWG is?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102174" target="_blank">The Werewolf Game</a>
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    The Werewolf Game. Basic idea is that the there's a group of people being role played by members of the forum over private messages, forum threads and IRC. Some people are werewolves and it's their job to not get discovered by the humans and hunt them down. It's the humans' job to uncover the werewolves and kill then. They do this by voting for who they think is the werewolf. Whoever gains the majority of the votes gets killed off and they drop out of the game. Likewise, the werewolf can choose a human to kill off. You basically have to convince people of what you are to make sure you're not voted off.

The game is played in rounds of Day 1, Night 1, and then Day 2 etc. Everyone is safe during the day phase, it's the night phase where votes are played out, people die and special abilities are resolved. Some humans have special abilities such as being able to scan one person a night and they will be told by the person running the game whether they're human or werewolf. Another human might have the ability to protect a human so if the werewolf targets them during the night, they will prevent the human from being killed.

There are all sorts of variations of these rules. I know one game I was in on here used a map based on rooms and you could move from one to another and search it for items etc.

That's my memory of how the game is played. I'm sure someone can come up with a better description.

Edit: Of course, after all that writing Caboose comes along with a link explaining it. :(
    <!--quoteo(post=1974274:date=Sep 8 2012, 08:16 PM:name=Aldaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aldaris @ Sep 8 2012, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Edit: Of course, after all that writing Caboose comes along with a link explaining it. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The typing is good practice for playing TWG.
    <!--quoteo(post=1974274:date=Sep 9 2012, 03:16 AM:name=Aldaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aldaris @ Sep 9 2012, 03:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Werewolf Game. Basic idea is that the there's a group of people being role played by members of the forum over private messages, forum threads and IRC. Some people are werewolves and it's their job to not get discovered by the humans and hunt them down. It's the humans' job to uncover the werewolves and kill then. They do this by voting for who they think is the werewolf. Whoever gains the majority of the votes gets killed off and they drop out of the game. Likewise, the werewolf can choose a human to kill off. You basically have to convince people of what you are to make sure you're not voted off.

The game is played in rounds of Day 1, Night 1, and then Day 2 etc. Everyone is safe during the day phase, it's the night phase where votes are played out, people die and special abilities are resolved. Some humans have special abilities such as being able to scan one person a night and they will be told by the person running the game whether they're human or werewolf. Another human might have the ability to protect a human so if the werewolf targets them during the night, they will prevent the human from being killed.

There are all sorts of variations of these rules. I know one game I was in on here used a map based on rooms and you could move from one to another and search it for items etc.

That's my memory of how the game is played. I'm sure someone can come up with a better description.

Edit: Of course, after all that writing Caboose comes along with a link explaining it. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds awsome, I'd love to be apart of it. Also that link is in the start of the thread but I just didn't understand it.
    I suggest someone post in NS2 general. We can have a NS2 themed game scheduled tentatively sometime before release in October. That's where we're likley to actually get a good game with 20ish players. Hell, I'd even host, I have an idea for a story that would attract new <strike>meat</strike> players. But I'm not going to bother if it's just gonna get phased back here.

Comprox, do you think if I did that it might be able to stay there, see if there's interest?
    After reading a few I really got into it and enjoyed them. I really liked the 1st one the best. But then I went to bed and then Bam, I dreamt about this. We where investigatng wearwolf killings and our group (investigators and scientists) was a big group. We where going to diffrent places and towns and then we started dying off. We where getting suspicious of each other but I trusted my partner (a fellow investigator) and we where finding clues each time to whomb it may be. To cut a long story short I was very suspicious of a Head scientist who owned some labs as he was acting wierd and wanted to know everything we did and there was somthing not right about him and then my brother woke me up. I'm pretty sure if I kept on dreaming it would have been him
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1974327:date=Sep 8 2012, 11:02 PM:name=Caboose)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Caboose @ Sep 8 2012, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I suggest someone post in NS2 general. We can have a NS2 themed game scheduled tentatively sometime before release in October. That's where we're likley to actually get a good game with 20ish players. Hell, I'd even host, I have an idea for a story that would attract new <strike>meat</strike> players. But I'm not going to bother if it's just gonna get phased back here.

Comprox, do you think if I did that it might be able to stay there, see if there's interest?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With everything else we let slide in there, sure, as long as it's NS2 themed :)
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    TWG was nutter butters when it was in full effect
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    edited September 2012
    I'm still annoyed that my Evil Plan got nullified on a later TWG; the host decided that the two initial wolves got to pick one additional person to be a Wolf. Initial mails went out defining roles, prior to selection. We realized that we could pick one actual one, then tell random people that they were the 'chosen' wolf, keeping one of the other three people 'hidden' in case the faux-wolf figured it out and defected, as well as to make the numbers match up.

Best case? Almost half of the people playing (three actual wolves, and three faked-out wolves) would be voting along Wolf lines, from the very first night. A master-stroke.
    Medium case? Two of three wolves exposed/put at risk if their assigned fake-wolf caught on, unless fast talking and confusion could save it.
    Worst case? We pick one of the Seer/Guardian/Psychic on accident, and the whole thing becomes exposed with them acting as a double agent, and still building their human-network, but only needing to ID one wolf.

As it happens, the host caught wind of my scheme and said 'no, wait, resetting the game, sending everyone PMs to define their role INCLUDING the chosen convert-wolf'.
    Really was the kind of play that can only happen once, and the host had to go and ruin it.
    I've lost my taste for TWG since then.
    Maybe I've got it wrong, but it sounds like you were trying to confuse people regarding what their role was in the game. I can't really blame a host for putting a stop to that.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    No, that's correct. And in a game focussed completely around social interaction/engineering/manipulation, that's well within bounds, as far as I'm concerned.
    Fair enough. But I can also understand why a host wouldn't want that element introduced into their particular game, and they do have the final say when it comes to rules. C'est le jeu.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    still, good try though that is the stuff dreams are made of
    So, anyone gunna make one of these then? I for one will participate
    I'm still up for it!!!

If we can decide a sign-up by date, and a host can supply us with the game (hopefully a standard TWG 1st time out), we should be good to go. If we state a minimum playercount of say 12 players? to get this going, I'm sure we can get it going..

I'd recommend a 'warm-up' game for those already on the forums to get back into it before we start introducing to the new playerbase that will explode around version 1. If we are already active at that point, it's better than trying to restart once we have a million people here...
    I haven't played one befor but i get the genral idea. I have read a few of the old ones and I am sure I could pick it up quite easy
    OK, how about now? The game is out, there loads of old faces popping out the woodwork, surely now is the time to revive the Epicness of TWG?

Give me a Holla if you are up for it!!!!!
    Still don't have time, but I concur. Now might be worth trying.
    edited November 2012
    Maybe in a few months when the OT section starts to get more visits?
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited November 2012
    I'm just about to hit exams, so I'm not considering starting this right now. A month from now I'm expecting to be gainfully employed, which, while it's a different type of time sync, at least I'd have my evenings free, and I'd definitely be interested then.