Tell me about the Exo.

Locke504Locke504 Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71511Members, NS2 Map Tester
I live in new orleans and have been without power and internet for the last 6 days, so I haven't had any time to check out the Exo suit. (###### you Hurricane).

I've done some precursory reading on the boards to get a rough idea, but if someone would be willing so sumthe pros and cons for me, it would be appreciated.

-Locke

Comments

• TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    390 armour
    Massive damage
    Unlimited ammo, guns heat up and must cooldown

Cannot use phasegates
    Cannot be beaconed
    Move quite slowly
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    And can apparently kill an onos in 1.5 seconds
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Games this week:

Marine team rushes Exo
    Entire marine team purchases exo
    5-9 exo lemming death train slowly beings to roll around the map

The outcomes are usually:

Aliens win because everyone is in exo and cannot defend their base
    Aliens lose because they try to engage an entire exo train
    Aliens win because marine team buys Exo and goes to rambo by themselves in different directions (immediately dying)
  • paellapaella Join Date: 2007-03-23 Member: 60463Members, Constellation
    Yeah it's tough to get a good feel for it. You see tons and tons of exos right now because it's The New Thing and any marine team that has the resources for them will have them.

I did have one game on veil where there was a healthy mix of exos, JPs, and macs welding the exos. Then an alien was all "hurf exos OP" when the reality is that marines just had more RTs the entire game. A team full of 3/3 marines with whatever they want from the proto and armory should really be able to win (and we did).

But anyway, they're fun.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its big with big guns.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    exos are pretty good as a single purchase. they're not very good in large packs because of aforementioned inability to phase/beacon. they are absolutely terrifying if supported with macs/jetpackers with welders. i believe lvl 3 armor gets up to 580 armor
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Level 0 armor is 300, Lvl 1 is 390, 2 is 480, 3 is 570.
  • Locke504Locke504 Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71511Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Can exo's weld other exo's? I noticed there was a free hand in the video. Can that be used to equip other items like welder? Also, can you punch with the free hand?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I updated with most of the features on the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Exosuit" target="_blank">Wiki</a>, have a look see :)
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1970195:date=Sep 2 2012, 05:16 PM:name=Locke504)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locke504 @ Sep 2 2012, 05:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970195"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can exo's weld other exo's? I noticed there was a free hand in the video. Can that be used to equip other items like welder? Also, can you punch with the free hand?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No the free hand is only for punching. You cannot weld or build when in an exosuit.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The basic Exo has a fist and a gun. The upgraded Exo has Dual Miniguns. Railguns will hopefully be available soon too :)
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1970206:date=Sep 2 2012, 05:55 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Sep 2 2012, 05:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970206"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No the free hand is only for punching. You cannot weld or build when in an exosuit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, the free hand can also be given a second minigun once that tech is researched, but other than that it's just for facepunching.

From what I've seen, the Exo works best in smaller rooms/cooridors with limited entrances. When you know your buddies have your back and have welders on you, you just go nuts on whatever is ahead. Many skulks will die to welder flames, no joke.
    The trick is to NEVER leave the pack.
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    Locke, i feel your pain man. I'm in Metairie, but thankfully my family in river ridge had power. I just got power back in my place yesterday. Good luck and i hope Entergy gets their crap together. If anything i think this proves that their monopoly should come to an end.
  • RowenRowen Join Date: 2012-05-04 Member: 151545Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1970208:date=Sep 3 2012, 01:03 AM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Sep 3 2012, 01:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970208"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Many skulks will die to welder flames, no joke.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Personal count is 6 skulks and a fade while welding.

Also, railguns? Do exos need more firepower? All alien things melt when an exo so much as looks at them.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Exos are fun fun fun!

...And also very limited and not nearly as good as jetpacks. Due to beacon/gate/build/weld limitations, its really hard to actually survive using exos. Aliens will often kill either one of your bases while exos are enroute to a hive, and even if they don't, a good fade or two will counter a couple of exos nicely. The alien team has more time to react, and you on the other hand, have your hands tied. Keeping exos alive takes often-squishy welder marines, and keeping your base takes marines too. Solid pressure at either end will land you in trouble :(
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I realy do enjoy playing Exos. You have to know how to play them like HA in NS1 if you are stupid and go without any backup or teamplay you just end up dead. Funny thing is that Onos cant do a s...t to Exo. Exo can only fear Gorge and massive skulk atack at least from my point of view. And i wish HA could weld each other like in NS1.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1970334:date=Sep 3 2012, 11:49 AM:name=CarNagE1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CarNagE1 @ Sep 3 2012, 11:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Exo can only fear Gorge and massive skulk atack at least from my point of view.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fades, man, fades. It takes a while to get the fade in your sights and also spooling the miniguns can take time. The damage dealt by exos comes over time and not in bursts, so its pretty predictable. Add to this that fades can blink in behind exos and swipe a few times and then escape. If there are shotty marines, fades need to target shottys first, but still, fades do a good job countering the exos.

Then again, even inexperienced marines can be combat-effective with exos, while being a good fade is more difficult. If skill levels are low and even, exo will do better than the fade. With high skill levels its the other way around.
  • TheIcarusKidTheIcarusKid Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149258Members
    edited September 2012
    Exos are perfect - the high cost and drawbacks allows them to be insanely powerful while still giving the aliens lots of strategic and tactical options to deal with them. Finally NS2 feels like Natural Selection!

The MAC spam for welding them is a problem but I'm sure that will be addressed soon.

Now all we need is an Onos that's worth the res cost.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Really liked watching a few new players at PAX naturally understand the mechanic of sending MACs out with your exo trains.. while leaving 1 or two Exos in base.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    There is a simple solution to mac spamming on the exo.

Make it so an exo can only be welded by one mac at a time.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    True, but i kind of like it personally.
    Its the same strategy of sending a mac out to one side of the map to build an rt while your marines are putting pressure on a hive. (aliens usually go defend the hive instead of hurting your mac)
    But if it becomes cheesy your solution or making them more expensive works..