Marine upgrade : faster reload

schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
<div class="IPBDescription">weapons training lvl 1</div>why not? aliens have adrenaline which is essentially a fast reload.

this upgrade would make marines reload somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 the speed.

researchable in the arms lab.

Comments

• DarkomicronDarkomicron Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75256Members
    Sounds good, the more options a commander has the better. However, it does need balancing. I think marines > aliens if they are constantly firing (in damage), the weakness of the marine is that he has to reload so he cannot damage continuously, that's the moment the aliens can take the lead in this battle. If you take away that downtime then skulks might have too much of a problem getting through marine fire.
  • SaschaSascha Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72444Members
    edited August 2012
    I agree and support this idea maybe a bigger clip upgrade wouldn't hurt too. :)
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 to 100-round Ammo Drum upgrade for LMG :)
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    I don't agree with this suggestion, it would mess up the rhythm of melee/ranged combat.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    Woot Bring back catalist!!
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've thought about these upgrades as well. However I think the fast clip dump and reload time is a crucial part of the flow of combat in NS2. Good players will bait as many shots out as they can and then close the gap during a reload or force them to their pistol. A faster reload would be incredibly powerful against early game aliens and they would definitely need a boost to something to counter it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    Like maD maX said, this is where catalyst packs come into play (movement speed and rate of fire increase) and it comes with the added benefit that it isn't permanent, which IMHO would be bad. And costs res to drop.
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    Maybe have it only affect the LMG so it's more viable in late game? Also if it is only the LMG then I don't have to have nightmares about a shotgun/GL with half the reload speed. =P
  • OprahOprah Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155615Members
    I believe after 9 kills with the Assault Rifle you unlock this. It's right after the UAV.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    Let's bring in rechargeable shields, dual wielding shotguns, and marines dropping grenades when they die while were at it!
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    I'd like to see something like a 99-round W-mag (magazine body splits and folds up on either side of the magazine well, turning it into a sort of bulky box that fills mostly the same profile) as an upgrade for the LMG, but deciding when to reload is a significant part of marine vs. skulk play. Marine players who reload after popping off 3-5 rounds leave themselves vulnerable to skulks, and while a larger magazine will stave some of that off, skulk players should have the opportunity to "wait for the reload" to attack marines and try to get some advantage for their timing ability.
  • TiomatTiomat Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155713Members
    Problem I can see is then your maxed marines become even stronger, knocking the balance even more away from skulks being effective in combat later game. Having the panic moment when fighting a few skulks as you run out of ammo is one of the bits I enjoy! Switching to pistol, knowing you have limited shots to kill them before they turn your face into a small decorative ornament ...

Adding something which could be reasonably beneficial (imagine a gl with 1/4 the reload time) needs a trade off of some form.

You could turn it into a pres upgrade, say 5-10 pres, to give you a 100 round clip (and correspondingly more total ammo) or a 200 round drum with no reload at all. Turn the LMG into a support weapon for a small cost. Doesn't cost much as the benefit isn't massive, but costs enough that if you keep getting it each life then you likely will have difficulty purchasing the higher end tech later. It would have to be non-droppable on death or something though.
  • BeelzebubBeelzebub Join Date: 2012-08-12 Member: 155506Members
    I'm hearing a lot of.. Aliens have "this" so marines should have their own version of "this". The game shouldn't work that way, each team should be uniquely their own.