ns2_veil

oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Thank you who created this map !!!!</div>Veil is sutch a masterpiece, both visual and balance. Amazing graphic detaljs throughout the entire map. Wooow. The best created NS2 map right now.

Veil is my nunber one favourite map right now. :D

Thanks to the creater for creating this master piece. <3 <3 <3 <3

Comments

• ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed. Love this map. Who would of thought that this map could be so good on NS2 after years of playing it on NS1
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    Just waiting on origin, tanith, metal and ellipse now. All 3 are WIP except origin AFAIK
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I will say it is great map visually, but balance, i'll have to disagree with you. Cargo and Sub Sector hives are wayyy too massive. they need to be fixed.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1969105:date=Aug 31 2012, 02:17 AM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Aug 31 2012, 02:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will say it is great map visually, but balance, i'll have to disagree with you. Cargo and Sub Sector hives are wayyy too massive. they need to be fixed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why? They are lerk/jetpack heaven. They are perfect
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
  • Admiral0Admiral0 Join Date: 2005-02-10 Member: 40666Banned, Constellation
    ns_veil, despite the mapper's best attempts, is very imbalanced in favor of marines. Hoping the mapper is paying attention to ns2stats and adjusting accordingly.
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    edited August 2012
    Veil has traditionally been a very marine biased map.

Alien's need to emphasise how important it is to stop marines establishing a base in double. It effectively allows them fast routes to 2/3 hives and all RT's around the map.

If Aliens deny double, you will find that marines = less map control = no 3/3 exo/jp.

Let's face it though, if marines are reaching exo/jp in a standard game they have won anyway. Does not matter how easy it is to defend / attack the hive. That more resolves around jp/exo balance than map design.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    There's also the vent in Sub where a gorge can bilebomb the CC with zero risk unless the marines have JPs or grenade launchers.
    Same for Cargo's vent near the containers, or on the big crane near the forcefield.

Also, you get stuck in the top of Nanogerid's vents if you try to evolve there to try to bilebomb, probably more vents have such issues on the map.
    Either make them tall enough to gorge/lerk in, or block you from gestating.

But agreed. it's an amazing map, right to the marine turting in the start with EXOs and GLs after a big back and forth game that we lost. Just line in NS1. :3
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yer, I nostalgad hard on this one. :) Excellent recreation, massive kudos to fmpone.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Aliens also get screwed on RTs especially if they spawn in cargo.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's face it though, if marines are reaching exo/jp in a standard game they have won anyway. Does not matter how easy it is to defend / attack the hive. That more resolves around jp/exo balance than map design.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed,

Likewise with aliens and umbra, xeno, vortex. It's a shame you only get to use half the games abilities when the games over. Not a fault of the map, it's the same for all maps in NS2 and the ability-by-expansion set up.

I've enjoyed the couple games I've had on veil.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    yeah the map dimensions seem a little big in places. but it definitely is a fun map. the slow skulk movement definitely hampers aliens compared to the ns1 version, whereas marines can sprint around the whole map in the same time.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    I do appreciate the kind words. And thanks for the feedback as well
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Thanks for Veil, you really did a great job.

And I like the new Tram, Mineshaft and Summit as well!
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    Who do I have to throw money at to get a Nothing remake?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Shawn "Fmpone" was the talented mapper behind the new NS2_Veil map. We wanted to give him and his map a proper reveal writeup, but the timing unfortunately worked out in a way that there was just simply no time, with all the rest of the work to get the exo reveal trailer and build 217 out, as well as getting ready for PAX.

He started the map on his own as a community effort, and UWE was very impressed with his attention to detail and his enthusiasm and dedication to recreating such a beloved NS1 map. We brought him on board, and worked together with him to get it completed, and to the impressive polished map that you get to play on now.

The map nicely showcases NS2 graphics and gameplay and we are glad to hear people are enjoying it.

--Cory
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd kill for an Origin remake.
    <!--quoteo(post=1969137:date=Aug 30 2012, 10:55 PM:name=fmpone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fmpone @ Aug 30 2012, 10:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do appreciate the kind words. And thanks for the feedback as well<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The map looks very impressive and you probably wanted to remain true to the original but NS1 map layouts do not carry over well into NS2, please consider some revisions to the layout.

Once the balance is fixed it could easily become one of the best maps.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Great map, tested and proven, and it looks good, but go easy with the nostalgia... I rather play brand new maps.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Amazing map, beautiful architecture.

Unfortunately the balance is not so great. I'm pretty sure this is 100% due to the fact that you wanted to stay as true as possible to the original veils layout. Although it won't be as nostalgic, I think some things need to be switched around a little.

Its strange though. I still can't tell exactly what it is that makes the map marine biased. I mean, the nearest tech point to marine spawn is miles away, but for aliens its a few steps. I guess it must have something to do with the massive size + phase gates
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    I haven't played much, but my first feeling was that Cargo is a very open place that's great for non-melee, and if the Marines get Cargo, they have access to the entire map. The Marine base is kind of isolated from the rest of the map too. Not a problem if you got PG's, but it takes a lot of time if you have to run/fly/belly slide all your way to it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1969193:date=Aug 31 2012, 04:15 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Aug 31 2012, 04:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its strange though. I still can't tell exactly what it is that makes the map marine biased. I mean, the nearest tech point to marine spawn is miles away, but for aliens its a few steps. I guess it must have something to do with the massive size + phase gates<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Consider how close the marine base is to res nodes versus the alien start locations and the fact that aliens need to spend time/res on cysts.
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969198:date=Aug 31 2012, 02:32 AM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Aug 31 2012, 02:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Consider how close the marine base is to res nodes versus the alien start locations and the fact that aliens need to spend time/res on cysts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. I thought the same (in reverse) as an alien comm spending res on tons of cysts before I noticed how far tech points are for the marines. It really does work nicely as a dynamic. I'm still getting stuck in vents and odd places, though that may not be an issue with the map itself since i'm getting it on tram and docking too.
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    edited August 2012
    Hive spots need more protection from spawncamping, otherwise it's a great map. I really like the size of the map, now when players make positioning mistakes it actually counts. I can only hope that this is going to be standard size for rest of the maps, because the tactical level rises to new heights with larger maps.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    I love Veil. thanks Devs.
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969148:date=Aug 31 2012, 06:54 AM:name=Atone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Atone @ Aug 31 2012, 06:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969148"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who do I have to throw money at to get a Nothing remake?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes who ?

+1
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love the atmosphere of this map. It is quite a bit different than what we have seen so far. The variety of rooms in this map is fantastic. Great job!
    I guess I just realised the main reason why this map is so marine dominated.

If hive spawns in sub, everything is fine, aliens can go about their game as normal.

If you spawn in cargo, you have to pray that marines don't take sub, because at the moment there is a cyst bug where you can't expand in the direction of pipe, so sub is your only option.

If you spawn in pipe, you are completely screwed, as the only way of expanding is along a main marine thoroughfare, since you can't expand to cargo.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    I'm not certain what you mean. It was a very old old bug where you couldn't cyst through dome properly, but this works afaik at the moment.

So what area are you having trouble cysting through?
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1969472:date=Sep 1 2012, 01:10 AM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Sep 1 2012, 01:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not certain what you mean. It was a very old old bug where you couldn't cyst through dome properly, but this works afaik at the moment.

So what area are you having trouble cysting through?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm unsure of the exact name, but its essentially the right exit of cargo, if you are facing towards double res from cargo. The side that leads to pipe hive. Cysts can't make it from inside cargo, out into that passage, and they can't make it from inside the passage, into cargo. This happened in three separate games to three separate commanders. Two were cargo spawns, one was a pipe spawn.