Steam Store price $ ≠ €

gage_czgage_cz Join Date: 2010-01-23 Member: 70271Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Dollar ≠ Euro</div>Hi guys, I am just wondering what will be the price in Euros?
There is well known "problem" where some games are much more expensive in Europe, because their price is $ = €

I read somewhere (I think it was interview with somebody from Tripwire Interactive - Red Orchestra developers), that the game price in America and Europe is determined by developer not Valve. For example, Red Orchestra 2, had almost the same price in $ and €.

Comments

• ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    The prices aren't just direct conversions?

That's weird.
  • falcfalc Join Date: 2011-03-18 Member: 87128Members
    Taxes are a reason, why most of the prices don't have a "direct" conversion.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2012
    <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/wp1oo/do_you_think_gems_are_too_expensive_for_eu_zone/c5fay5u" target="_blank">Maybe I should bookmark this or something.</a>
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This reflects tax-exclusive v. tax-inclusive pricing.

In America, you pay the price you see plus sales tax.

In Europe, you pay the price you see. The vendor pays VAT out of that price.

VAT rates in EU range from roughly 15%-25%. We pay based on the location of our EU office, in UK, so we pay a flat 20% for all of EU.

€1 = €0.833 base + €0.167 VAT

€0.83 base = $1.02 (at today's exchange rate)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • gage_czgage_cz Join Date: 2010-01-23 Member: 70271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968141:date=Aug 29 2012, 01:18 PM:name=falc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (falc @ Aug 29 2012, 01:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968141"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Taxes are a reason, why most of the prices don't have a "direct" conversion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Price of many games in Euro is much higer than "game price" + "tax". I think that the price you see in store is without tax and tax is added during the purchase, but I am not sure now.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1968134:date=Aug 29 2012, 06:11 AM:name=gage_cz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gage_cz @ Aug 29 2012, 06:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968134"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is well known "problem" where some games are much more expensive in Europe, because their price is $ = €<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

VAT
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    Its intended. Thats why you got much more toothpaste in one pack when you buy it in Germany instead of the USA. Thats why the same car cost much more in Germany as in the USA (even if its produced in Germany). Try to educate yourself in economy. This "problem" is a system. Prices get adjusted on the wealth of the country you are selling the product.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Well taxes are one reason and that's fair enough. It does not always explain the whole difference though. The "system" is set up somewhat unfairly. While big money has no problem to benefit from a globalized economy, us normal people are apparently not allowed to do so. AFAIK Valve is an American company. The Steam store is an American store. Why does it matter that I am living in Germany, when I buy software over the Internet from an American store? I don't know why. But it does. I should be able to buy software under the conditions of the country of the store. Instead I can only buy them under German conditions. With a German price tag. Under German laws, meaning sometimes only a cut, yet more expensive version of a violent game is available to me. Meanwhile big companies get to exploit people in 3rd world countries easily, maximizing their profits.

It's not exactly fair. /rant off
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Many countires rely on various source of income to fund their hospitals, roads or military or whatever. Most countries get this from taxing their peoples income, and also from adding taxes to all sales. Some countries have a flat tax, others have variable taxes, with a higher tax on certain products.

So if people in germany spend all their money bying videogames in US, or buy cheap stuff in China, then money will flow out of Germany to US and China, and the stores in Germany will not earn as much money, and they will fire people, and eventually you will not be able to get the same amount of money you are used to since noone has jobs in these countries.

So the government allows you to buy things from US and China, but adds a tax on top. This means that even if you send your money outside Germany, some still end up with the government, and they can continue to fund their hospitals and armies...

It's a very complex system, and while some can take advantage of it, and others are stuck paying the price, it's still better than no system.
  • JowJow Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106032Members
    I can just remember the good old days on Steam when a dollar was 50p and they didn't charge in local currency still, games were ridiculously cheap.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    There's also the concept of purchasing power parity. Ideally, one should have to the a similar amount of labour in each economy to earn enough money to buy a specific product.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1968168:date=Aug 29 2012, 02:06 PM:name=Grimfang)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grimfang @ Aug 29 2012, 02:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...]

So if people in germany spend all their money bying videogames in US, or buy cheap stuff in China, then money will flow out of Germany to US and China, and the stores in Germany will not earn as much money, and they will fire people, and eventually you will not be able to get the same amount of money you are used to since noone has jobs in these countries.
    [...]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First that should be my own decision, and that's what big companies and banks are doing anyway. Second in the case of Germany it would actually be a good thing. We're having a huge trade surplus. And a trade imbalance, no matter the direction, is never healthy long term. And last but not least since the average Joe (or Fritz) has to deal with the negative side of globalization constantly it would only be fair if he gets access to the benefits as well.
  • FunkyFungusFunkyFungus Join Date: 2003-09-09 Member: 20691Members
    if you like the game buy it :)

to expensive ? wait for a steam sale :P
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited August 2012
    Valve cant be bothered with basic maths.

<!--quoteo(post=1968235:date=Aug 29 2012, 10:29 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Aug 29 2012, 10:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And last but not least since the average Joe (or Fritz) has to deal with the negative side of globalization constantly it would only be fair if he gets access to the benefits as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFVdvXGIT34" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFVdvXGIT34</a> ?
  • falcfalc Join Date: 2011-03-18 Member: 87128Members
    You know what? That video is in fact blocked in germany because of license issues (like so many other music videos). Money is a ######. :)
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    That's why I pre-ordered, I paid the dollar-price.

But to all you economy-smart-guys: all the factors you count - taxes, wealth and so on - do always line up to be perfectly $=€ in the steam store? Yeah, that makes sense.
    They don't do the math, they just wanna earn with a little trick. It's like buying tasty chips. When you open it, only half of the package is filled. You say 'fck you company'. But hell, the chips are soooo tasty and the advertising burned them into my head. You'll buy them again. The companies know that.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    Buy now, im sure it will be 35 Euros instead of 35 Dollar (~28€)
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968370:date=Aug 29 2012, 08:12 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Aug 29 2012, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Buy now, im sure it will be 35 Euros instead of 35 Dollar (~28€)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hugh said somewhere that the final game will be less expensive than these late beta-pre-orders...
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    It's not just tax.

Most digital sales in New Zealand occur at a much higher price for the customer relative to other countries.
    <!--quoteo(post=1968333:date=Aug 29 2012, 07:12 PM:name=falc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (falc @ Aug 29 2012, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know what? That video is in fact blocked in germany because of license issues (like so many other music videos). Money is a ######. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah ultimate irony right in the face. Would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968413:date=Aug 29 2012, 09:07 PM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Aug 29 2012, 09:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968413"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hugh said somewhere that the final game will be less expensive than these late beta-pre-orders...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Where?
    I can't belive hugh said "less expensive" ;-)
    Ns2 isn't expensive in my mind.
    I guess it will cost 19 Euros and 19 dollars
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968515:date=Aug 30 2012, 12:10 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Aug 30 2012, 12:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968515"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where?
    I can't belive hugh said "less expensive" ;-)
    Ns2 isn't expensive in my mind.
    I guess it will cost 19 Euros and 19 dollars<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://kotaku.com/5938305/a-team-of-seven-is-making-a-game-that-shouldnt-be-possible" target="_blank"><i>"Theirs is a refreshing mentality, but it might be premature to say that it's worked. Unknown Worlds can't sustain themselves as a company based on pre-orders alone: 40,000 was a great start, but once they launch, they'll have to sell at least a few hundred thousand copies of the game to stay alive, Jeremy says. They haven't finalized a price yet, but Jeremy promises that Natural Selection 2 will sell for under $35. It'll be out at some point soon for PC only."</i></a>

The beta does not cost 19 dollars. It is 35 dollars.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    I live in Washington state, USA. We've got sales tax a hair under 10%, and Steam takes that into account, meaning I paid about $38.50 for NS2. Not every state in the US has sales tax. That VAT is included in pricing in the Eurozone, versus sales tax being added on top in the US, is a little quirky but not really that big of a deal.

Impulse/GameSpot, amusingly, gives "promotional" rates to Washington residents, equal to a hair under 10%. Short version, anything I buy from that service shows as costing, say, $10, with $0.98 tax, and $0.98 "promotional discount," or rather, Impulse/Gamespot has chosen to soak the cost of sales tax rather than pass it on to the customer for reasons I'm unclear on, but certainly benefit from.