Exo suits being seperate to marines.

antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">With the option to enter and exit them.</div>I think it would be pretty cool if a marine could hop out his exosuit, repair it up, and then jump back in.

There would be a say 3-5 second delay/animation when doing either one. But it would add alot of strategy and versatility to the options of a marine riding an exosuit and exosuits themselves.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1967855:date=Aug 29 2012, 01:03 AM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 29 2012, 01:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it would be pretty cool if a marine could hop out his exosuit, repair it up, and then jump back in.

There would be a say 3-5 second delay/animation when doing either one. But it would add alot of strategy and versatility to the options of a marine riding an exosuit and exosuits themselves.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep, that is pretty much what I want :P
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    who would buy it? who would drive it? seems like it's really opening things up to griefers. Imagine battlfield 3 where you have to buy the helicopter before some jerkbag can steal it while you repair it.
  • BitcrusherBitcrusher Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156628Members
    edited August 2012
    Simply make it so there is a delay to enter the mech, and it is longer if you was not the person that left the mech previously. The problem I see is if a skulk gets into the mech. MWHAHAH.
  • DavinjaxDavinjax Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156779Members
    If you open your console when you load a map under the current build, there are two 'events' that fail to load:

Exosuit Eject and Exosuit Equip.

I'm sure they're looking at this concept.
  • DarkomicronDarkomicron Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75256Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1967949:date=Aug 29 2012, 05:12 AM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Aug 29 2012, 05:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->who would buy it? who would drive it? seems like it's really opening things up to griefers. Imagine battlfield 3 where you have to buy the helicopter before some jerkbag can steal it while you repair it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Simple: you buy an exo, your ass gets hauled into that machine. But then you can also choose to leave it again, or climb back in etc.

This would be a great feature and I was a little surprised it was not in yet. I hope it's under development.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Just like most games where you buy a vehicle it would just jump you into it. No hijacking.
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    I don't think you should have to jump in it when you buy it, but yes maybe add the option to exit it (AND LOCK IT) or unlock it so you could buy one for a teammate or give him one if you want, and they can't steal it unless you die.

I would love to see an ejections system. Have it so a warning pops up at low exo health saying "EJECT" and if you hit 1 or 2 keys quick enough it will launch the "cockpit" up into the air and then when it lands it will burst open and let the marine escape.

I also want to be able to "upgrade" my exo loadout at the proto lab. Have it so if you have 1 minigun you can pay the extra 25 for dual miniguns instead of having to die and get a new one. Or even give you the option of swapping weapons, so have it so you can go to the proto lab and swap out your miniguns for two powered "fists", stuff like that.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    The exo is more like a unit than a player. Buying stuff for the exo (currently only the extra minigun) and being able to jump out and in would feel and play better. That would require extra animations and balancing though. I'm guessing that isn't high priority for the devs right now.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Exit EXO *beep* *beep*
  • NukoeNukoe Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154821Members
    I'd like this, and have thought of it before. Right now it does not feel like a true exo, and this would help with the immersion.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Also late game starts to have this problem where you have so many exos that nobody can build / repair things. Nor drop their suits in order to do so.
  • GreenFlameGreenFlame Join Date: 2011-03-17 Member: 86860Members
    Yea, I actually thought it would be possible to exit/enter the Exo. Like press drop/pick weapon button to leave/enter the Exo, press E to Unlock/Lock it for other players/have some kind of Exo controller device as weapon #4 to grant access for it to specific players and any other stuff like ability to click the map to send the Exo back to base/any location for repairs/any other kind of things.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    My perspective:
    You can't upgrade your exo with another weapon (from fist to second minigun). You should have saved for the dual-minigun.

You can exit the exo, but the exo will selfdestruct (just become unusable). When you exit, you only have your sidearms with you. (your shotgun, rifle,... is too big to fit in the cockpit)
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    At a guess, its the animation required to make it look good. Coding it so you just pop in and out is easy. But you want the animation to flow right:
    - kneel and pop open while camera moves to third person view
    - marine climbs out and jumps down, the camera swing back to first person view.

and the reverse. Lots of special animation moves there, and the UWE animation pipeline is kinda full with more important things for 1.0.
  • DarkomicronDarkomicron Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75256Members
    You should be able to leave the exo but it will take 3-5 seconds. That way you cannot climb out if you're dying, but you can leave to build stuff or give it to an ally etc.

an 'eject' button is not fun at all. You are the exo, if you die, you die. You should not have two lives, the exo already has tons of armor.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I can even tell you that it's something that was on the exo's wishlist. It's just to much work for 1.0. If all goes well, this'll be implemented eventually.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    despite if it would be nice to have, i think for balance it's better the way it currently is. when the whole team goes exo you face some trade offs (not being able to weld each other, no beacon possible). in theory thats also true for aliens: whole team of onos lacks umbra and heal support (pure onos still works, which is a bit flawed in my opinion), and skulks / fades which would finish off stomped marines. ow, jumping out of the exo makes you vulnerable for some time, but not being able to leave the exo promotes team work more (would need marines / MACs to weld you)
  • BeelzebubBeelzebub Join Date: 2012-08-12 Member: 155506Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969310:date=Aug 31 2012, 09:37 AM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Aug 31 2012, 09:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->despite if it would be nice to have, i think for balance it's better the way it currently is. when the whole team goes exo you face some trade offs (not being able to weld each other, no beacon possible). in theory thats also true for aliens: whole team of onos lacks umbra and heal support (pure onos still works, which is a bit flawed in my opinion), and skulks / fades which would finish off stomped marines. ow, jumping out of the exo makes you vulnerable for some time, but not being able to leave the exo promotes team work more (would need marines / MACs to weld you)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ I agree with this.. being able to exit your exo means cutting teamwork. I forsee a lot of exos going off rambo style, or everyone getting in exo suits/ leaving exo suits in base between phase gates etc
  • TiomatTiomat Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155713Members
    +1 if:

No stealing by fellow marines (Once the system has been configured to a user it cannot be changed? Seat heights or something ...).

Marine exiting the exo only has a welder and a pistol.

An exo that has been exited powers down permanently (blows up) if you die or don't get back in it within 30 seconds.

Entering/exiting takes a good 5 seconds.

Skulks can leap into the exo.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969310:date=Aug 31 2012, 03:37 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Aug 31 2012, 03:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->despite if it would be nice to have, i think for balance it's better the way it currently is. when the whole team goes exo you face some trade offs (not being able to weld each other, no beacon possible). in theory thats also true for aliens: whole team of onos lacks umbra and heal support (pure onos still works, which is a bit flawed in my opinion), and skulks / fades which would finish off stomped marines. ow, jumping out of the exo makes you vulnerable for some time, but not being able to leave the exo promotes team work more (would need marines / MACs to weld you)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think this would actually make it more balanced. Yes, the exo needs some mobility trade offs for its power, but in a game like NS, not being able to beacon your team is a death sentence. The exo itself should not be able to beacon, or phase to a distant location. Moving that much firepower that quickly isn't balanced. However, the player should always be able to phase or be beaconed, so he should have the choice to abandon it if he wishes.

I think an unmanned exo should take triple damage from attacks, which would give aliens enough time to destroy any suits left unmanned after an emergency beacon.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    and then make it so you can have a jetpack while you are inside the exo, and when there are 5 exo's in one area you can all fly out with your jetpacks while the 5 exos transform into voltron... um... nanotron, where each limb of the mega exo is a smaller exo.

TRANSFORM! :)

I like it how it is at the moment - you just need MACS to back you up thats all - if only there was a follow feature...