Build 217 Feedback

internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
edited August 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Gogogo!</div><ul><li>Seeing hives/chairs through walls is annoying and silly. If you have to permanently mark them, put them on the MAP.</li><li>The map is really hard to read (at least for Veil) - make things bigger, with more contrast between markers and the floor/walls (so it isn't all a smokey orange/blue mess)</li><li>Veil is a really faithful remake and seems like a lot of fun (is the southern most hive borrowed from another NS1 map? I swear I recognized it..)</li><li>eating exosuits piloted by confused new people is funny</li><li>celerity is still clearly the best upgrade and nobody buys it early so you have to spend the whole game running around at a snail's pace as the skulk</li><li>You can run out of energy by biting continuously as a skulk without adrenaline/nearby shifts - is this intended? is it 'going overboard'?</li><li>the halo around players is horrible...either go all the way and make it look like <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGZrGn7bscA" target="_blank">warsow</a>, or leave this out so it looks like NS</li></ul>

Now post yours!

Comments

• DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    orange highlight of both allies and enemies as alien is a bit confusing. also, being in vents bugs out said highlights.
  • VarXXVarXX Join Date: 2011-01-24 Member: 78824Members, NS2 Playtester
    You can turn off the highlights in the options menu. Turn Tooltips off
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1967813:date=Aug 28 2012, 08:15 PM:name=VarXX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VarXX @ Aug 28 2012, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can turn off the highlights in the options menu. Turn Tooltips off<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that's a TOOLTIP?

aaaaaaaaaaaaah
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->celerity is still clearly the best upgrade and nobody buys it early so you have to spend the whole game running around at a snail's pace as the skulk<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Considering carapace is now completely useless. I'll have to agree. But doesn't matter, you're forced to rush two hives, skipping upgrades before then. Leaving the slow effect on it was a terrible decision.

This is clearly the marine favored patch. We're about to see the win ratio shoot up for marines.

Exosuits are repaired too quickly by armories, welders and MACs. Not really sure why exosuits 2 do not require three tech points since onos stomp does.
    Jetpacks are still way too gd cheap. If you die using an exosuit, don't fret, just purchase a jet pack.
    Armories should have never started repairing armor again.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    I love the patch so much, everything is working grea. Love the new hive sign. So sweet you can see aliens in front of you better and also the amazing animation through the walls. Very logical :D love it. Love of it ALL !!!!!!!!! :D This is the best patch ever !!!!!!!

But what I dislikes:

- I'm not a big fan of the mini map though, I do understand the background is getting blurry but please dont blur the "map itself" when pressing c. Needs to be more shaper and highlighted. No soft gray, Soft gray doesnt fit blurry background. :(

- Also when marine commander drop structors, you'll see the blue animation of the structor, once you as a player click on it it just rechange animation to orginal colour. From super bright to normal colour in one micro second. It's not nice in visual perspactive :(

- The button of the screen when a hive is under attack or command station, you can't barely see the text, also a very ugly animation with text. Hopefully uwe improves that upon release.

- No more marine health bars off comm view :(

- Once entered a server, I cannot look in the server browser for other servers :( :( :(
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I like the new l4d style glows, perfect for parasited marines.

I don't like the minimap, it's hard to read, I don't like the blur and the big flashing arrow that shows up every time you toggle it.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    You can turn off the objective markers (the hive/command-station markers through the walls) by turning off "show hints" in the options.
    edited August 2012
    any chance of dual punching arms? i'd totally trade in the miniguns for the ability to grab fades by their heads and legs and pull them apart. or the ability to spin the torso 360 degrees at high speeds with both arms stretched out knocking aliens away.
  • BeelzebubBeelzebub Join Date: 2012-08-12 Member: 155506Members
    Gotta say AWESOME first game with the UWE crew, I wish it didn't crash out half the server though.. Those of us left on it called it a draw, but it was epic for sure. I'm really enjoying this build and was anticipating it for a long time. Still had a bug where Sub Access RT wasn't getting the initial cyst and starts dying as soon as the map starts. I'm predominately aliens and I felt it was pretty balanced. Love the faster cyst build time, the spending of tres instead of pres. Not sure if its completely balanced but with the addition of exosuits, it seems aliens got a fair enough buff. Can't wait to play more of it though, I've only had enough time to play a few games tonight. Looking forward to seeing more action asap though.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love the alien highlights, they're just what was needed to reduce dependency on night vision. A couple thoughts though:

- It's still missing that last step - why do marines have to be hurt to become outlined? Seeing marines with perfect clarity is always just one button press away, so that restriction doesn't hinder aliens, just keeps them in night vision. Marines should always glow, and being hurt should make them glow red if you want that distinction to be visible.
    - The outlines should retain their color while Blinking. Otherwise night vision is still mandatory to see marines clearly. In general I think the Blink screen filter is a bit too strong.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1967846:date=Aug 29 2012, 12:52 AM:name=Beelzebub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beelzebub @ Aug 29 2012, 12:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gotta say AWESOME first game with the UWE crew, I wish it didn't crash out half the server though.. Those of us left on it called it a draw, but it was epic for sure. I'm really enjoying this build and was anticipating it for a long time. Still had a bug where Sub Access RT wasn't getting the initial cyst and starts dying as soon as the map starts. I'm predominately aliens and I felt it was pretty balanced. Love the faster cyst build time, the spending of tres instead of pres. Not sure if its completely balanced but with the addition of exosuits, it seems aliens got a fair enough buff. Can't wait to play more of it though, I've only had enough time to play a few games tonight. Looking forward to seeing more action asap though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, the PT's and dev's still had their syncing prog running and things go bad if Brian pulls the big red flashing lever that sends out a new internal build. It's all their own damn fault for depriving you guys of that awesome match :P
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    no one mentioned this yet I don't think:

hydras now cost 3 res to build. max of 3 hydras still.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1967899:date=Aug 28 2012, 09:58 PM:name=Daphisto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daphisto @ Aug 28 2012, 09:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no one mentioned this yet I don't think:

hydras now cost 3 res to build. max of 3 hydras still.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

for the first time since the first alpha build I've seen a few people literally "Rage quit" while playing gorge. all because of that change.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    So much for "Free hydra's are here to stay".....
    <!--quoteo(post=1967934:date=Aug 28 2012, 10:50 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Aug 28 2012, 10:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So much for "Free hydra's are here to stay".....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Even the p.res costing hydras don't even stay.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1967928:date=Aug 28 2012, 10:38 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Aug 28 2012, 10:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967928"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->for the first time since the first alpha build I've seen a few people literally "Rage quit" while playing gorge and finding out about that change.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, also it doesn't look like this was noted in the changelog.

Both marines and Exos take out hydras in no time, too. It's not like they are even powerful.. hmmmm... I am curious about the design decision for this change.
    <!--quoteo(post=1967947:date=Aug 28 2012, 11:11 PM:name=Daphisto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daphisto @ Aug 28 2012, 11:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Both marines and Exos take out hydras in no time, too. It's not like they are even powerful.. hmmmm... <b>I am curious about the design decision for this change</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Massive amounts of marine tears.

I ain't even jokin'.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    If hydras cost pres they should be tougher.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I like the new cloak, it is much more usable now.
  • CharmedCharmed Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155731Members
    Pistols are inaudible to aliens—really frustrating.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1967986:date=Aug 29 2012, 02:36 PM:name=Charmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charmed @ Aug 29 2012, 02:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pistols are inaudible to aliens—really frustrating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:pink--><span style="color:pink"><!--/coloro-->Yeah my team was complaining about that a lot (been playing aliens all day).

- Surprisingly, exosuits don't seem to imbalance things at all. The games I've played today have shown that exos can be brought down easy enough, though they prove very resilient when a squad is welding them. Fun matches though.
    - Also been playing on veil and eclipse! Loving those remakes, so props to the mappers who brought back all those fond memories.
    - A lot of players reported substantial framerate increases too, so this patch turned out very nicely indeed.

You're on the home stretch now UWE. Keep up the good work, we're with you all the way! Much love! <3<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Changed player movement logic to make stepping up and over things more predictable and reliable<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it might even work a bit too good:

Ns2 climbing
    <a href="http://youtu.be/jLG8zcdmJrI?hd=1" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/jLG8zcdmJrI?hd=1</a>

(also works as exo etc)
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    cant view your video
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Now it should be visible.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1967995:date=Aug 29 2012, 07:02 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Aug 29 2012, 07:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967995"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now it should be visible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All I see is spider man playing natural selection.
  • dushandushan Breaker of Games Join Date: 2011-10-30 Member: 130202Members, NS2 Developer, Squad Five Blue, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1967990:date=Aug 28 2012, 08:57 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Aug 28 2012, 08:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it might even work a bit too good:

Ns2 climbing
    <a href="http://youtu.be/jLG8zcdmJrI?hd=1" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/jLG8zcdmJrI?hd=1</a>

(also works as exo etc)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, that was a known issue that I didn't dare to fix for this patch. I'm looking forward to seeing fun exploits in pub games.

Don't get too used to it! :)
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Haha Koruyo, thats some nice mountain climbing :D
  • twincannontwincannon Join Date: 2011-06-14 Member: 104459Members
    Random feedback stuff

+ FPS is much improved again! Best FPS I've had in NS2 ever I think. Even with all the new effects, exo, etc... I was expecting to get terrible fps. Huge surprise!

+ Exosuit is so cool.

+ Veil :O

+ Music! also: Death sounds! Scared me when I first heard them. One quip: they sound really out of place without general pain noises. Like the marine gets bit a few times, is completely fine, then that last bite was just too much "YEARARGHH"

- I basically hate every single change made to the GUI/HUD. :( Sorry... the marines minimap looks like asteroids or geometry wars and removes information instead of adding it or simplifying it; the new CC/hive health bars/evolve progress bars look like something out of mid-90's web design; and the new progress bars above everything are super bland with just the transparent square backing and everything. Also I have no idea why everything suddenly has 2 health bars, why is this... was structure armor implemented? Seems pointless if not. Also I much prefer the old icons for alien upgrades on the evolution menu, new ones are really bland and don't show off as well what the upgrades do (i.e. regen isn't green). Also not a big fan of the smaller map icons.

- Still no indication that you can only have one upgrade per type, I think this will be really confusing for new players, also it just doesn't make much sense to me anyway. Why not let us have cara and regen, or adrenaline and celerity, I just don't get it. If 2 upgrades from the same chamber are too strong, balance them! Probably my least favorite change for the last dozen+ patches, just seems like really poor design, pointless, avoiding a more core issue, etc etc... breaks all the rules imo.

Anyway all in all an amazing update, can only imagine you guys crunched hard for it and it really paid off, the trailer was fantastic as well btw. Gave me shivers, I loved how it showed a cinematic and then oh hey... gameplay footage doing the same thing. When does that ever happen in game trailers? So good.
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    Good to see your still playing NS2 twincannon, I'll have to frag with you on the U.S servers one time.
  • twincannontwincannon Join Date: 2011-06-14 Member: 104459Members
    Another GUI annoyance! I'm full of them! D: where'd the hive info go when looking at the map? Loved that, very handy.

<!--quoteo(post=1968033:date=Aug 29 2012, 02:14 AM:name=mf-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mf- @ Aug 29 2012, 02:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good to see your still playing NS2 twincannon, I'll have to frag with you on the U.S servers one time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hey man, yeah I've been here, but last patch my fps was too bad so I took a break. but it's allll good now :D