Natural Selection Training Map

Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT DeputyThe Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
<div class="IPBDescription">Meat_Popsicle's power to wow</div><div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>Watch out, you are in serious danger of being hit by ~10 tons of nostalgia!</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>

A short story:
Back in 2005 Meat_Popsicle made the one and only single player and Marine training map, to teach newbies about how to follow orders, learn about the Kharaa and a lot more stuff during this awesome training session. It even has bloody voice over and scripted events! So I took the liberty to do a few videos on this one, because I know some of you rather watch videos than downloading and installing stuff. My point is, the concept of this Training Map is beyond awesome for NS2. And it should be easier with Spark I think. I just hope that IF someone goes out and does this it will indeed get support from the devs this time around!

Now from here on out you can do two things, watch the videos <spoiler>. Or download/install/play it yourself <Lonely Kouji during the videos :P> . I'm sure most of you have Half-Life goldSRC and NS+this mod of NS are still downloadable after all this time :D

<div align='center'><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/chRM_HZPCTA"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/chRM_HZPCTA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chRM_HZPCTA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chRM_HZPCTA</a>

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zRKglkuSqz8"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zRKglkuSqz8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRKglkuSqz8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRKglkuSqz8</a>
<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90930" target="_blank">Thread</a>
<a href="http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/;73792" target="_blank">FilePlanet link</a></div>

Comments

• ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    My impression is that stuff like this would actually be harder in Spark, as NS1 was built off the HL engine and therefore had existing triggers and such that make it more suitable for these kinds of scripted single player experiences.
  • HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey, I remember this! I even contributed; I made the texture above the hive. You pretty much can't even see it in game. It was really well done, but came too late into NS1's life cycle to be seen by many new players.

Thanks for the nostalgia, Kouji
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2012
    Didn't know about this yet. Awesome stuff!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    @Arkanti, now that you mentioned those awesome trigger systems and entities in the Hammer editor. I want those so bad in Spark, but my gues is that lua can do all this in a different and probably a better way, right?

Also <b>hotdamn!</b> them video thumbnails on the embedded player are a lot better looking then I'd imagined, at least better then the random 3 thumbs I was stuck with for so long. I only tested them on the tiny playlist thumbs, where they show up as 120x90 or something. I know, I know, it's completely off-topic, but it was quite a timesink getting those new thumbs up and running :P
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Oh damn I remember this. :) Would love to see an NS2 equivalent, official or otherwise.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    You're not the only one grinning. That siege sound made my day, and the HA stomp? Yeeeeah.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Really well done and would love to see something similar in NS2. However, someone would likely have to mod in map triggers/entity I/O for this to work.
  • FunkyFungusFunkyFungus Join Date: 2003-09-09 Member: 20691Members
    edited August 2012
    koji digging up the past :D

a nice quick tutorial video like that should be enough ;)
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    It would be great to see something like this for NS2. There must be some kind of trigger system in spark because doors open when you get near them. If that's not flexible enough I'm sure it's something UWE will want to do since they want spark to be so mod friendly.

I nostalgia'd hard over the welder sound. It's so gritty and industrial. Please bring it back!
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    There is a trigger system. You can program doors to open with triggers, and sounds can be played with them as well. I haven't found a way to time them yet, but it's been done on some maps already.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1966911:date=Aug 26 2012, 08:31 PM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Aug 26 2012, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1966911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I nostalgia'd hard over the welder sound. It's so gritty and industrial. Please bring it back!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Would love a nostalgia mod that replaces all the new sounds with the old ones. :) And brings back the music at the start of the round too. Sure it was a hindrance and you muted it when you got serious, but it was bloody awesome too.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1966913:date=Aug 26 2012, 03:44 PM:name=EgoGamer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EgoGamer @ Aug 26 2012, 03:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1966913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would love a nostalgia mod that replaces all the new sounds with the old ones. :) And brings back the music at the start of the round too. Sure it was a hindrance and you muted it when you got serious, but it was bloody awesome too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can't replace the gold source engine. So many mods that came from it were gold. There will never be anything as audibly impressive as hearing all those HL1 sounds. The crowbar sound, the ammo/health pickup sound, door open sound, etc. Not to mention those gritty textures too and the way that the weapons swayed. I wish we could all stop playing modern games and go back to playing HL1 mods but unfortunately that will never happen.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    Bumpmapping, reflections, shadows and detail textures in my goldSRC with texture res ++. Now what would be awesome, problem is the engine might still choke at higher polygon counts :P

Cry of Fear has some sexy modifications

Earth's Special Forces does amazing animations and world geometry and a moving sky

HL: Town was working on dynamic, no scratch that they had dynamic shadows working in the engine
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome nostalgia, and great map. It's true something like this could be helpfull, if someone had the time to create it.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is really needed for NS2 Release. The only thing I miss would be a few skulks so you can shoot something while learning. For example every time you got out of the chair to build something you should defend the base on an incoming alien attack. The AI we got right now should be capable of simply sending in aliens.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1966913:date=Aug 26 2012, 03:44 PM:name=EgoGamer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EgoGamer @ Aug 26 2012, 03:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1966913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would love a nostalgia mod that replaces all the new sounds with the old ones. :) And brings back the music at the start of the round too. Sure it was a hindrance and you muted it when you got serious, but it was bloody awesome too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The music! The music...my favorite was ns_ambient1. Find it. Listen to it. Remember...
    remember...

Also I remember the training map. Certainly some sort of training is needed for NS2.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    The lecture in the beginning kinda reminds me of the Americas Army games where you had to successfully finish a lot of training courses to be allowed to play certain classes/weapons/maps.

Nothing is more exciting than listening to a 30min course with multiple choice test in the end about first aid in the us army, only to be allowed to press a button ingame. :>
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    How/Why in the world was this not included as an official tutorial to NS1 ???