PSA: Please use parasite in the early game

Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
<div class="IPBDescription">not enough players go for 2 bite + parasite kills.</div>Maybe this is preaching to the choir, because people who read this forum already know this but...

As a skulk, you can kill a marine with 3 bites at the start of the game:

marines start with: 100 hp + 30 armor = 160 effective HP
skulks do 75 dmg per bite = 3 bits to kill a marine...

notice that the last bight is barely needed...

Skulks can also get a kill by biting twice and then parasiting once! (or the other way around)

bite does 75 dmg, parasite does 10 dmp, 75 * 2 + 10 = 150 = effective HP for armor 0 marines.

THIS IS HUGE.

If you don't play this way when ever you possibly can, you are taking an even battle, and making it up hill (from a skulk point of view)
<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->
<b>Before you try and close distance, get that parasite! If you are moving in from an ambush, parasite first!</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

It can be hard to do some times, but at least try and get the parasite!

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>The difference between having to land 2 bites, and having to land 3 is HUGE!</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

right now marines go weapons 1 first pretty frequently! The reason they can get away with weapons 1 over armor 1, is because people don't use parasite.

Armor 1 forces skulks to get 3 bites, instead of 2 bites + parasite. In the early game that is pretty much the only thing it buys the marines. USE PARASITE, force the marines to delay weapons 1 / phase tech / shotguns, or by the prices!

Armor 0 weapons 1 marines vs cara skulks should get steam rolled!

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Please give this tip to any skulks you see playing with out using parasite first!</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Comments

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Also it reveals marines for 30 seconds on your map.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1967150:date=Aug 28 2012, 12:19 AM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Aug 28 2012, 12:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also it reveals marines for 30 seconds on your map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Old parasite really needs to come back. Was so much fun marking important stuff for your team, and actually being a big deal if marine got parasited.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    +1 for parasite buildings!

parasite uses ProPlayers ... but not everyone who use parasites is ProPlayer :D
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    The use of parasite as a marking / tracking tool is well known, and people use it for that.

I am specifically trying to get the word out to new players, that it can be used as a replacement for the 3rd bite during the early game.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    YOU FORGOT THE VERY MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL:
    The insane amounts of humiliation it is to be killed by parasite! Do like the pro's - 2 bites then ridicule!
  • PsygonPsygon Join Date: 2012-07-13 Member: 154106Members
    Using parasite as the 3rd bite does not make sense... since you can't be sure that you landed 2 bites (often the client indicates you made a hit even when it didn't happen), and you're already in bite range anyway. Using it as the first gives you away if you're trying to ambush, giving up the element of surprise.

Parasite only helps if the marines already know where you are, or if you want to harass them.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1967192:date=Aug 27 2012, 04:53 PM:name=Psygon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psygon @ Aug 27 2012, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Using parasite as the 3rd bite does not make sense... since you can't be sure that you landed 2 bites (often the client indicates you made a hit even when it didn't happen), and you're already in bite range anyway. Using it as the first gives you away if you're trying to ambush, giving up the element of surprise.

Parasite only helps if the marines already know where you are, or if you want to harass them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

using parasite first doesn't give you away any more then breaking cover does. They still need to pin point your location, exactly the way they would have to the moment break cover. You give away your position with foot step sounds when you move anyway. Plus you can parasite as you start to move, resulting in no extra time for the marines to react.

You do gain a big advantage only needing two bites.

Keep in mind this particular aspect of the game dates back to NS 3.0, so there are countless hours of competitive and pub play that back up parasite + two bites being the way to go.

Unless you are actually a super pro player, I would suggest taking the advice of more experienced / proven players. And I don't mean myself either, I would be very surprised if one of the current NS2 competitive players expressed an opinion different from the OP.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1967192:date=Aug 27 2012, 07:53 PM:name=Psygon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psygon @ Aug 27 2012, 07:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Using parasite as the 3rd bite does not make sense... since you can't be sure that you landed 2 bites (often the client indicates you made a hit even when it didn't happen), and you're already in bite range anyway. Using it as the first gives you away if you're trying to ambush, giving up the element of surprise.

Parasite only helps if the marines already know where you are, or if you want to harass them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

good marines can gain separation with the 2nd bite by jumping, so often you're too far for the 3rd bite.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1967192:date=Aug 28 2012, 01:53 AM:name=Psygon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psygon @ Aug 28 2012, 01:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Using parasite as the 3rd bite does not make sense... since you can't be sure that you landed 2 bites (often the client indicates you made a hit even when it didn't happen),<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can always tell if my bite hit.

<!--quoteo(post=1967192:date=Aug 28 2012, 01:53 AM:name=Psygon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psygon @ Aug 28 2012, 01:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and you're already in bite range anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some skulks play hit and run.

<!--quoteo(post=1967192:date=Aug 28 2012, 01:53 AM:name=Psygon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psygon @ Aug 28 2012, 01:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Using it as the first gives you away if you're trying to ambush, giving up the element of surprise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can sneak up to the marine, parasite him when he's ~5meters away, and then land 2 bites.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    2 bite + para is the best thing in the game ^^
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    I can barely land any hits with parasite. I'm the tool skulk marines see sitting at their entrance, just sitting there making some weird noise. They're confused and scared at first, then they pistol me from across the room. Oh ho ho, and landing two bites? I barely register one sometimes! #FML
  • PsygonPsygon Join Date: 2012-07-13 Member: 154106Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1967201:date=Aug 27 2012, 07:08 PM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Aug 27 2012, 07:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can always tell if my bite hit.

Some skulks play hit and run.

You can sneak up to the marine, parasite him when he's ~5meters away, and then land 2 bites.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How do you tell if your bite hit? I've often got the blood indication more than enough times on a new game marine to kill him, with no medpack spam. I'm not saying it's often, but it's fairly regular. My pings are often below 40 ms, and this is early game when the server is still performing well.

Hitting the marine when he's close seems fine if he knows you're there. Generally when I play skulk I try to listen to marine footsteps and take them from behind. I'm not sure what the reason is, but many players don't seem to pay attention to the skulk footsteps or react to them fast enough if you ambush right. Now, the marine would have to be braindead to not be alert after parasite, considering it makes you GREEEEEEN!!!1 Also the marine footsteps can make the skulk ones a bit harder to distinguish, especially if there's more than one marine moving around nearby.

My argument isn't that you shouldn't try to pick off a marine that is running away with a parasite, but that a skulk is giving away a potential advantage if it is used outside of melee range leading into an attack. And that if the marine is still in bite range, bite till he's dead.