Black Mesa 2012 media - preparing for release

Comments

• Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    edited August 2012
    But the enemies don't use HL2 ai, but new AI in fact. They just share some of the behavior code that all NPCs use

The leaked video was done on easy difficulty, and the revised video that was supposed to be released was going to be done on hard.

The gunplay in both HL1 and HL2 is a byproduct of a number of changes to the engine. Things like the weapon bob/sway in HL1 vs HL2, hit detection, movement speed, death

animations/physics, and weapon animations create the feel of the gunplay. Yes the movement speed is like HL2, but the weapon animations, weapon sway, and even the actions

on death are different at times thanks to the gibbing system. The other things are fundamental changes that are a part of source, and to attempt to change those things would

be a waste of time and effort for minimal gain for a mod. And it's not like they just took every HL2 weapon and gave it a new model, they actually made new weapons for much

of the HL1 arsenal, minus exceptions like the crowbar, shotgun, etc. since there isn't a need to make drastic changes to them except through tweaks.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963764:date=Aug 15 2012, 09:09 PM:name=Bloodshot12)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bloodshot12 @ Aug 15 2012, 09:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But the enemies don't use HL2 ai, but new AI in fact. They just share some of the behavior code that all NPCs use

The leaked video was done on easy difficulty, and the revised video that was supposed to be released was going to be done on hard.

The gunplay in both HL1 and HL2 is a byproduct of a number of changes to the engine. Things like the weapon bob/sway in HL1 vs HL2, hit detection, movement speed, death

animations/physics, and weapon animations create the feel of the gunplay. Yes the movement speed is like HL2, but the weapon animations, weapon sway, and even the actions

on death are different at times thanks to the gibbing system. The other things are fundamental changes that are a part of source, and to attempt to change those things would

be a waste of time and effort for minimal gain for a mod. And it's not like they just took every HL2 weapon and gave it a new model, they actually made new weapons for much

of the HL1 arsenal, minus exceptions like the crowbar, shotgun, etc. since there isn't a need to make drastic changes to them except through tweaks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's nice to get information on the mod, I guess

but really a lot of this back and forth about "will

it be any good, XYZ looks bad, I liked HL1 more"

and so on is sort of beside the point, for two

reasons:

1) This is never going to come out.

2) Even if it does come out, it'll be a mod, which

means everyone can play it for themselves

to see if it's any good. So there's no reason to

worry about whether it's good or not, like a

normal game which you have to buy, because

no matter what, you can try it out.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Let's not make this a trend okay?
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    For people who dont know.

This isnt HL1 on Source, for whatever reason Valve told them they are not allowed to copy HL1s map layout completely, its a free mod so I dont know why but it happened.

So what its going to be is HL1 re visioned, it wont be dramatically changed but it will feel new which is good, also all the sounds/voices/textures everything actually is all custom.

You can actually see in this video that the rocket segment in "On a rail" doesnt look like it does in HL1

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbwAG9NFrtk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbwAG9NFrtk</a>
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    I guess it's nice having options but I'm facepalming at the people going 'IRONSIGHTS OMG NOOO'. Seriously? Get the hell over your nostalgia. Half-Life 1 was a good game because of the technology advance in gaming it represented FIRST, and the game world SECOND. It was not really at any point particularly praised for its incredible shooting mechanics.

I'm fine with not going total mainstream-o-matic but whining that you move slower is just retarded. Why is it even an option to have "HL1-style movement"? Are we saying that the best part of HL1 was that Freeman ran at 30MPH and could bunnyhop? That isn't why we played HL1.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It isn't? I dunno, I really enjoyed being able to go fast while shooting at things that went less fast, except in multiplayer where everything went so fast it blurred.
    <!--quoteo(post=1965861:date=Aug 22 2012, 02:29 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Aug 22 2012, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It isn't? I dunno, I really enjoyed being able to go fast while shooting at things that went less fast, except in multiplayer where everything went so fast it blurred.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think you think that this game thinks it's Tribes.
    I don't think I've ever met anyone who liked HL1 just because it's fast. Seriously, there are plenty of games that do a better job at being fast.
    <!--quoteo(post=1965867:date=Aug 22 2012, 04:41 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Aug 22 2012, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you think that this game thinks it's Tribes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think you think that he thinks that the game thinks it's Tribes. Not sure what he thinks though.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It's not JUST because it's fast but cutting the movement speed in half would obviously affect gameplay...
    <!--quoteo(post=1965928:date=Aug 22 2012, 07:50 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Aug 22 2012, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965928"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not JUST because it's fast but cutting the movement speed in half would obviously affect gameplay...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Would it?

As long as you can still make the jumps by making them shorter or - even better - doing away with them, and as long as the various 'run from this enemy' considerations are adjusted as well, what would it affect?
    Whether you can effectively move between cover if you want to get closer/further from the enemy, if you can get out of the way of projectiles including grenades, and if you enjoy the feeling of just moving around an area.
    It's not that every game that is faster is also better because of it, I just enjoy being able to move fast in itself. So if that had gone completely from this HL1 remake I would have been saddened.
    <!--quoteo(post=1966085:date=Aug 23 2012, 11:55 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Aug 23 2012, 11:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1966085"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whether you can effectively move between cover if you want to get closer/further from the enemy, if you can get out of the way of projectiles including grenades, and if you enjoy the feeling of just moving around an area.
    It's not that every game that is faster is also better because of it, I just enjoy being able to move fast in itself. So if that had gone completely from this HL1 remake I would have been saddened.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not that that was an issue in HL1 anyway, seeing as how Gordon Freeman was damn-near indestructible anyway.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    All I want is to see Black Mesa given to the boys at Speed Demos Archive. THEN we can talk about fast.

However, I do want to play the game like how Gordon Freeman felt, as in impulse 200 to holster my weapon and cl_drawhud 0 for "realistic immersion" on the hardest difficulty. Oh yeah.
    edited August 2012
    Hey guys remember how this was 'preparing for release' over two months ago?

EDIT: Also, I watched that "leaked" footage. The voice acting for the soldiers is so unbelievably ###### that it may have singlehandedly undermined any shred of optimism I had for the quality of this game.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1966958:date=Aug 27 2012, 03:12 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Aug 27 2012, 03:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1966958"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys remember how this was 'preparing for release' over two months ago?

EDIT: Also, I watched that "leaked" footage. The voice acting for the soldiers is so unbelievably ###### that it may have singlehandedly undermined any shred of optimism I had for the quality of this game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah the voice acting is terrible but what can you do, Its a free mod at the end of the day.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    edited September 2012
    black mesa release date confirmed:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Community Update

We're freaking out over here! It is so exciting to share this news with you!

You can now Download the Black Mesa Soundtrack, courtesy of our very own Joel Nielsen, at the very generous price of whatever you want! Enjoy and share!
    In the near future you'll see our Website, Wiki and Forums all taken down temporarily for renovations.
    On September 14th you will see the first release of Black Mesa! This will include our re-envisioning of Half-Life all the way up to Lambda Core. We believe this is a great way to provide a complete-feeling 8-10 hour experience with a solid ending, make our fans happy and help us make the best overall game possible.

We are still working hard on Xen and BMDM, but instead of making you wait we are giving you Black Mesa as soon as it's ready! We're doing our best to help bring the immense vision of this project into reality, and we are very excited for what the future brings!

High-Fives Yo,
    Carlos Montero - Project Leader<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?p=480683#post480683" target="_blank">bms forum</a>

another puplicity stunt, or will they actually do it this time?

im almost no longer hyped for this anymore, it took 8 years and still no Xen
    Well, this is certainly more than <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118896&st=0&p=1942759&#entry1942759" target="_blank">I predicted</a>, but I can't help but think that this still qualifies as a "told you so." An incomplete release never the less.

Also, I'm still sticking to "I'll believe it when I see it."
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.blackmesasource.com/" target="_blank">Countdown time!</a>
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Something's going to happen. Someone will hack them and delete the source code and all the backups. Meteors will land at all the data centres on earth shutting down the entire internet.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1970019:date=Sep 2 2012, 09:30 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Sep 2 2012, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970019"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.blackmesasource.com/" target="_blank">Countdown time!</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ermagerd! Blerk Mersa Serce.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1970019:date=Sep 2 2012, 09:30 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Sep 2 2012, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970019"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.blackmesasource.com/" target="_blank">Countdown time!</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

countdown timers

always a bad idea

we saw them

and disapointment followed
    I'm looking forward to it! I'm actually a little disappointed that there's no Xen, because I actually enjoyed that part of Half-Life, especially when the non-jumping puzzle parts, and I don't look forward to waiting 6 years for them to finish Xen, but I'm super pumped for the rest of the mod. Half-Life is one of my favorite first person shooters.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7B392D9B49EAF881" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7B392D9B49EAF881</a>

^Soundtrack posted in the correct order you hear it
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1970019:date=Sep 2 2012, 12:30 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Sep 2 2012, 12:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970019"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.blackmesasource.com/" target="_blank">Countdown time!</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Contdown timers never work, there is always a delay
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The large chunk of Half-Life that is finished lets players guide hero Gordon Freeman to a section of the original gameplay known as Lamda Core. Finishing this first chunk should take players between eight to 10 hours.

The final section yet to be finished takes place in the alien Xen dimension. An expanded Xen section would be released at an unnamed date in the future, said the team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahahahaha, that is rich.

So we get to look forward to, presumably, waiting 2-3 years for the complete game.
    edited September 2012
    Who cares? They are giving us most of the game anyway, and better that they expand Xen and make it more interesting then leave it as the cool looking place with sucky gameplay.

And I don't know about you, but I'd rather be able to play it now instead of have to wait even longer to the point where I'd probably be too busy with RL stuff anyway.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKBP5hWuSA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKBP5hWuSA</a>

This track really reminds me of the old Natural Selection ambient music.
    <!--quoteo(post=1970472:date=Sep 3 2012, 11:28 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Sep 3 2012, 11:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hahahahaha, that is rich.

So we get to look forward to, presumably, waiting 2-3 years for the complete game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    2-3 years? You're extremely optimistic!
    <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94128543" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...ls/?id=94128543</a>

Vote for it to get it up on steam