UI guidance for new players

2»

Comments

• countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited August 2012
    The biggest thing I'd miss is 'silent' CC and Hive Drops. The other team has to find out on its own how many stations the enemy has, otherwise it isn't really strategical interesting. Maybe there could be an option to mark the hive/cc when it is discovered.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1

I absolutely agree with the op in every point.

Only thing I want to add is, that this automatic waypoints should be distinguishable from the ones the commander places. Every new player should know, that this are some kind of tutorial-waypoints that can be turned off.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It feels like the icons werent thought through attacking the CC/hive isnt always the objective. The real objective is the the commander tells you.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965186:date=Aug 20 2012, 08:50 AM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Aug 20 2012, 08:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The biggest thing I'd miss is 'silent' CC and Hive Drops. The other team has to find out on its own how many stations the enemy has, otherwise it isn't really strategical interesting. Maybe there could be an option to mark the hive/cc when it is discovered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That actually is how it works right now. The hive/chair doesn't show up until someone spots it.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited August 2012
    Oh. Well I think I'm gonna...oh, look, what's over there? ,(>.>)>
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    edited August 2012
    I too like the current automatic (build) orders. Many times in NS1 there was something in need of building in base and people spawning there either did not notice it or just chose to ignored it.

Now about that opening post, I totally agree with the 1st point as it would be almost infinitely better solution than the current ugly and sending-noobs-to-certain-death red hive & cc markers in your screen. The 2nd point is more complicated because it would be pointless to give a defend order to a RT that's being attacked by 4 skulks on the other side of the map. Yes, it'd be down before your trip there is even halfway done. And what it comes to the points 3 and 4, I think they should just come up with some sort of squad system like someone proposed in this thread already.

And needless to say, there should be some sort of competetive mode where all these noob-aids would be turned off by default.
  • VicVic Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75106Members
    Took the liberty to fork this thread into <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=120284" target="_blank">a different suggestion here</a>, would this work better?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Departing from this thread, instead of automatic waypoints, how about reusing the rally point for a command station to set a move order for the fresh spawns next to it? It would be an easy, non automatic, entirely at the commanders latitude tactical guidance to direct fresh spawned players towards the most urgent objective.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    default orders suck.

IF any hand holding should be done it should be done to the COMMANDER.

Hey Commander 3 of your players are attacking this command chair, MAYBE you want to coordinate a FULL ATTACK?
    MAYBE?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I think thats what we're talking about, king, giving the commander a prompt so as to:
    1) teach him priorities
    2) not interfere with a strategy he is developing

And these can always be toggled off with the current tool tip/ auto help check box in the options.