Auto Team Balance, and problem of stacking.

MelatoninMelatonin Babbler Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14551Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">as an optional server setting.</div>Stacking is a problem.
Stacking happens all the time.

because both NS, and NS2 have two main sets of core players, the public server players and the clan players, there exists a wide range of skill levels, and it is very common to see players who play with lots of clan players (and are as a result more practised and knowledgeable).
Its not unreasonable for these more skilled players to join random games when they are not playing organised matches (often its benign, but rarely you do see a 'pubstomp').

When this happens, people take note, they see one or two players tearing up a server, and they have the following options
1: ignore this and play whichever team they want
2: join the same team as them, and have a 'more enjoyable' game

I say more enjoyable, because, although NS2 does a good job of letting the losing team have fun, winning is better! it feels better. People like to win.
and its very common to see a teamstack, following a single good player. (this isn't the only factor ofc, but its a major one... sometimes you can sense an impending alien win because the marines did so well last match for example).

so often games come down to a clearly unbalanced state within the first 10 seconds of being back in the ready room, with people waiting in the ready room, all trying to get on the 'better team'.
it happened in NS1, and it's happening in NS2.

this sucks!
I want balanced games, games with some back and forth dynamic play, not the largely one sided affair that so often happens at present.

Now, against a brute force solution, like random all:
I often play with a couple of good players and we like to join the same team, so I guess I am as guilty of stacking as anyone. When I talk about an enforced random, they are against the idea, they like being able to play with their friends.
this is a fair point, it almost negates the need for a ready room at all.

I think any solution to the stacking problem, should be nuanced.
either, make the server setting optional, so that there still exist servers where playing with friends is possible, or else implement the fix in such a way that people have time to join friends before randomisation occurs.
(I also recognise that forcing team joining means that AFK players will be taking up resources, instead of simply taking up a slot in the server, but think this a fair trade of for more balanced games.)

Ideally, I would love to see a 15/ 20 second grace period between matches, where players can join either team (as happens now), but when the game starts all players still in the ready room are allocated a team based on last games scores (an attempt to even distribute the good players).

what do you guys think?

Comments

• RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    Very good points, dont thinnk ive never tried to play a game with even teams either, one team always have 1-3 more players. thats just not fun way to win, then the rest go to ready room and after other side wins, people leave and server is empty.

This have happened so far 27 times aka pretty much all games ive played until one side have one.

We are in 2012 games need auto team balance, and an option to mix teams after game is over,
  • DarkomicronDarkomicron Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75256Members
    edited August 2012
    Although I get what you're going at, I think you can't 'solve' this problem without taking away something that people appreciate. You cannot force people into different teams than they want to play. If a player is really good with marines and plays NS2 to play as a marine, you can't tell him to go to aliens because he's too good to play marine. People want to play with their friends, like I do myself. Even if we fight a stacked team we can put up a fight and have a really fun game (lost 3 in a row today, but all the games were close and cool).

Even if you make seperate servers, you will just create a more confusing and complex option to join servers, and one of the gamemodes will probably barely be played. (i.e. everyone goes to auto balance servers and nobody is able to play with their friends anymore because those servers are empty).

So tl;dr... I don't think you can do anything about it without destroying some people's game experience.
  • bigflopperbigflopper Join Date: 2012-03-21 Member: 149141Members
    How about this, if one team has 1+ more players make it so that the outnumbered team gains some sort of advantage that they don't have through extra numbers. In games of 9 v 9 any team with even 1 more player has a distinct advantage. Take this advantage away by giving the lesser team more hp, more damage, more res or slightly faster respawn to make up for being a man down. Maybe you could let the server decide which method to implement and when a new player joins the lesser team, take the advantage away. Cause right now as it stands the team that is outnumbered almost always goes on to lose the match. The devs wouldn't even have to implement this, it could be as easy as making a server side mod, therefore making it optional.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    pretty much need to have a public server mode (the way it works now), and a match making mode. Match making mode has tracked states and a penalty for quitting game early.

I think the Devs have talked about putting in a match making / stat tracking system post 1.0 release.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1965345:date=Aug 20 2012, 05:05 PM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Aug 20 2012, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->pretty much need to have a public server mode (the way it works now), and a match making mode. Match making mode has tracked states and a penalty for quitting game early.

I think the Devs have talked about putting in a match making / stat tracking system post 1.0 release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ^

This is largely how other games (e.g. SC2) have solved the pubstomping program. You create a matchmaking system that matches people in leagues based on a measure of skill. That way, people are able to play against people of similar skill.
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    Simply will not work with the NS2 player base. Need thousands and thousands of players for skill based match making to be effective. Even then it doesn't even work well (sc2)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I'd say just improve the res tick and spawn speeds - just small enough to not be too good for them though -, any combat bonuses can be very balance

Also you got to take note that most people prefer to be on the losing side, and just keep going to that team each game.

And to scardy, you have got to remember that sc2 has a MUCH MUCH bigger community than ns2 does, regardless the similarities, and also their games don't require to be at least 5/5 or 6/6 to be balanced fair and fun, they can do 1v1's, so that kind of matchmaking i don't think would work very well.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965379:date=Aug 20 2012, 07:42 PM:name=mf-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mf- @ Aug 20 2012, 07:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simply will not work with the NS2 player base. Need thousands and thousands of players for skill based match making to be effective. Even then it doesn't even work well (sc2)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Got any data / source on that? My experience seeding tournament brackets for the local fighting game community leads me to believe it really isn't that hard. It becomes pretty clear with in 10-20 matches which players are better than other players. Keep in mind the goal isn't to exactly rank players, but rather put them in general brackets. Even just, novice, regular, and pro brackets would do a lot of good in NS2.

Also can you define, not working that well? My understanding is the win/losses on match making services like Battle.net and DOTA are in the 50% +/- 5% for the vast majority of players. That sounds like it is working to me.

<!--quoteo(post=1965391:date=Aug 20 2012, 08:49 PM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Aug 20 2012, 08:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965391"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And to scardy, you have got to remember that sc2 has a MUCH MUCH bigger community than ns2 does, regardless the similarities, and also their games don't require to be at least 5/5 or 6/6 to be balanced fair and fun, they can do 1v1's, so that kind of matchmaking i don't think would work very well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

DOTA and LoL do a good job regardless in the 5v5 team setting, why would 6v6 or even 8v8 be much different?

If you want to worry about a problem match making in ns2 might have, it is the added complication of Commanding. How do we incorporate this aspect of the game into a ranking / match making service?
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    You need thousands of players to properly populate 16 or 20 player games with players of a similar skill in a reasonable time. Nobody wants to wait 20 minutes for 18 pro-players to queue up. And if you fill in the empty spots with lower skilled players then you simply run into the same problem you have now.

DOTA and LOL have thousands of players. Matchmaking is a lot easier when you have a huge pool of players to draw from.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965400:date=Aug 21 2012, 06:18 AM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Aug 21 2012, 06:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DOTA and LoL do a good job regardless in the 5v5 team setting, why would 6v6 or even 8v8 be much different?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm a fairly experienced LoL player by now and I can tell you that there's often a big skill gap between people in the same bracket (elo range). This is largely due to the system only accounting for wins, not for game stats. The phenomenon you see, is 'carrying', where lesser players get to be amongst the greater; all because the better players win the game <b>for</b> them. Everyone who wins gets more elo points = rises in the charts.

If NS2 were to implement such a system, the servers could no longer be dedicated (or at least, they'd have to be controlled by this matchmaking system), there would have to be thousands of players to be able to match them properly (based on skill and location (for connection speed)) and many of those thousands of people would have to <b>want</b> to play 'ranked' games.

That's a lot of hurdles.
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965400:date=Aug 21 2012, 02:18 PM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Aug 21 2012, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Got any data / source on that? My experience seeding tournament brackets for the local fighting game community leads me to believe it really isn't that hard. It becomes pretty clear with in 10-20 matches which players are better than other players. Keep in mind the goal isn't to exactly rank players, but rather put them in general brackets. Even just, novice, regular, and pro brackets would do a lot of good in NS2.

Also can you define, not working that well? My understanding is the win/losses on match making services like Battle.net and DOTA are in the 50% +/- 5% for the vast majority of players. That sounds like it is working to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're comparing fighting games (1v1) against a 6v6 format. Totally different, not to mention your personally seeding tournaments, not an algorithm.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm not saying that a matchmaking system wouldn't have problems, but it would be an improvement over the current system. In particular, I view it working in two ways:

<u>Matchmaking</u>
    - A gather-like system where people fill up a lobby of something like a 6v6 or 8v8 of people in roughly the same league.

<u>Server Current Skill Rating</u>
    - Basically, it would be a five bar graphic (think L4D1/2 ping bars) that shows up next to each server in the server browser that shows how many players in that server are in the same league as you (i.e. 5 bars = 90+% of the players are in the same league, 4 bars = 75%, 3 bars = 50%, 2 bars = 25%, 1 bar = <10%). That way when you can add skill range of players in a server to factors you use to choose which to join.

I think thousands of concurrent players on release is not unreasonable. The <a href="http://ns2stats.org/" target="_blank">ns2stats.org</a> playercount values regularly show hundreds of concurrent players and its not even running on all servers.

Also, the matchmaking system doesn't have to work 100% to be valuable. Even if it only increases the number of balanced matched by 10%, that will be an improvement. The concerns about carrying are real, but can be mitigated by modifying how the rating systems are calculated.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Honestly, I think some sort of ingame (main menu) chat room would be a better solution. Perhaps with a few pre-setup rooms for regions, which you can join (autojoin upon game start option).

That would give an easy in-game solution to talk to people and organize pugs (Pick up groups, premade teams to fight eachother, consisting of (mostly) non-affiliated players). Basically a replacement for the old IRC solutions.

Not sure how difficult it would be to implement such a thing technically though. I would consider it an alternative to a matchmaking system - human matchmakers! :)
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    What I wouldnt give for a server that forces random. As is I flat out stay away from some servers (immune is generally the worst for this) because I know for a fact that theres going to be massive stacks on 1 side. HBZ is often quite bad for it too. There really needs to be a server option to force random, or maybe someone just needs to make a custom ready room which just has spectate and random doors.
    <!--quoteo(post=1965509:date=Aug 21 2012, 08:19 AM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Aug 21 2012, 08:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I wouldnt give for a server that forces random. As is I flat out stay away from some servers (immune is generally the worst for this) because I know for a fact that theres going to be massive stacks on 1 side. HBZ is often quite bad for it too. There really needs to be a server option to force random, or maybe someone just needs to make a custom ready room which just has spectate and random doors.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Needs to be a servermod, otherwise people will just join via j1/j2 in the console. Also, random without sorting based on skill can just as easily stack teams (though, it would still be an improvement over the current system).
    <!--quoteo(post=1965418:date=Aug 20 2012, 11:26 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Aug 20 2012, 11:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nobody wants to wait 20 minutes for 18 pro-players to queue up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

people already do wait hours to play a good pug. see ENSL gathers.

Also, no match making is going to be perfect, it just has to work reasonably well. Sure some times match making is a bit off in LoL/SC2, but on the whole they work pretty well. I concede that it is entirely possible that NS2 may have long queues then these games.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    There definitely needs to be a longer start before matches begin. I like to force randomteams or run voterandom on servers, but sometimes a team ends up with 2-3 players who went to grab something to drink and now their team is severely hurting.

Maybe in the future there could be integration with ns2stats and consider things like k/d, playtime and overall score while setting up teams - instead of just a random shuffle? I am no coder so I don't really know the limits of that.
    The old Tactical Gamer NS1 server had a simple win/loss stat tracking and team balancing mod that did a pretty good job. I believe all it did was try and balance the average win/loss percentages of the players on each team.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965418:date=Aug 21 2012, 07:26 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Aug 21 2012, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You need thousands of players to properly populate 16 or 20 player games with players of a similar skill in a reasonable time. Nobody wants to wait 20 minutes for 18 pro-players to queue up. And if you fill in the empty spots with lower skilled players then you simply run into the same problem you have now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not about every player on the team being of equal skill. It's about the average skill of the teams being closer together. E.g. if 2 top players are playing they don't both get put on the one team.

I think this can be achieved pretty easily (although not perfectly) by tracking elo rankings via K:D. Then just have the servers mix the teams up based on average elo, so each team has an equal number of good players and an equal number of noobs. Of course you would still get times where it is stacked a bit but it would be much better than completley random. I hope this is what ns2stats.org is going to implement.
  • deckdeck Join Date: 2012-08-21 Member: 156067Members
    If there was a way to party with your friends, then random/auto balancing would be a proper response. That way the party is randomly put on a team, while keeping friends together. I think that limiting people from playing with their bros could turn them away from certain servers. Not only that, but some people just want to the play the game how they want. Whether that means all the want to do is join the same team every round, that is how they like to play the game (I've seen people who only play marines and I've seen people who only play aliens). With the relatively small player base right now, I don't feel that telling them how to play will be beneficial for player population growth.

Stacked teams suck. It's rather boring to be on a team of 8 vs a team of 4. It is also frustrating to be on that team of 4 vs that team of 8. Team stacking is an issue with any team based FPS -- it is just the nature of pubs.