Your feedback on our tweets here

Comments

• phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Hard one really, because you don't want to upset the people who paid to be in at the earlier stages when you needed the funding, but I suppose you could argue that they paid extra to be part of the development...

I wonder if you allowed a "refer a friend" reduction for people buying as a result of their friends in the alpha / beta ? - that way, people already playing will be able to get other interested parties a copy for slightly less. Perhaps make it so that they don't get access to the beta now, but they get immediate access on full release.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Playing around with the NS1 Fade blink. Forgot how nice and smooth that was. Trying to incorporate some of that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I like the sound of that, nice.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The current blink is great IMO... It shouldn't be completely smooth, it's a teleport. Emulating the one from NS1 was never the idea.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    I always felt the NS1 version gave me more freedom in my movement, I don't really get that same feeling with the (current) NS2 version. It has always felt like I'm not really connected with the environment.
    Hoping this will change it though :)
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963122:date=Aug 14 2012, 07:08 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Aug 14 2012, 07:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The current blink is great IMO... It shouldn't be completely smooth, it's a teleport. Emulating the one from NS1 was never the idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I enjoy what blink currently is. I love the translucent effect the fade leaves behind, but maybe adding the momentum/air control aspect from NS1 could be killer.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1963122:date=Aug 15 2012, 01:08 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Aug 15 2012, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The current blink is great IMO... It shouldn't be completely smooth, it's a teleport. Emulating the one from NS1 was never the idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Shadowstep is a nice teleport ability, the current blink isn't.

Playing fade would be so much more enjoyable if NS1 style blink was the slot1 alternate and slot2 was shadowstep.

With regards to the latest tweet: Hell yeah, a built in gather system would be fantastic. Just connecting to any empty server won't work though. They either need to be 12 slot servers or passworded -- otherwise random people will join, and it won't be 6v6, and what would be point be then?
  • NukoeNukoe Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154821Members
    If you're going to reduce the price, add something for people who bought it at the original so they won't feel shafted<.< imo....or yeah, use the refer a friend thing. My friend may not mind taking the chance on this game for a slightly lower pricepoint.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963181:date=Aug 14 2012, 09:42 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Aug 14 2012, 09:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963181"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With regards to the latest tweet: Hell yeah, a built in gather system would be fantastic. Just connecting to any empty server won't work though. They either need to be 12 slot servers or passworded -- otherwise random people will join, and it won't be 6v6, and what would be point be then?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

as a q&d pub solution for getting people to play when servers are either full Or empty. not a bad solution. all the people joining will be random so if a couple extras join in the mean time, no big - its a pub. limited specific game sizes would be a cool feature. if there are ample servers at release i could that as being an option
  • Jonp_11Jonp_11 Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20161Members
    Please add an auto retry option for joining servers, or will NS2 servers work with the Steam server browser at launch?
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited August 2012
    I kinda wish that blink didn't push you forward, instead you go cloudy/invisible like you do now, but you just move in any direciton you want really quickly.
    So you can circle strafe while blinking, or just do an accurate side strafe, jump blink etc.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    For the pick-up game, you should have a few options if you want to get one going.

Make it so that someone needs to be the server host.
    If someone has a private server, they can put that they will be the server host, they enter the ip and password and when there are 12 people it auto-connects them to that server. (Details about the server should be visible, location, ping to server, slots)

Secondly, you need to be able to choose the map.

Make it so that there NEEDS to be atleast 2 commanders and they need to be on opposite teams. Just toss in a check box, that if you're willing to be a commander you click it and if a PUG is looking for a commander, he's added to the pug (over a regular player).

I also wouldn't mind a feature which you can choose which type of skill level of pug you'd like to join. ex: Beginner, Good, Top Tier. That way if people who are especially good want to only pug with people who know the game very well and want a challenge, they can select Top Tier, beginners also could play with other beginners and that way rather than just getting demolished, they can play the game with other people who are trying to learn the game.

Also, I feel as though people who are willing to be a commander in the game, their record should be kept, their lose/win ratio as a commander. (That way people can get a feeling of their skill level) Or maybe even just 'min/hours' played as commander.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963020:date=Aug 14 2012, 05:00 PM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ Aug 14 2012, 05:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tweeting about potentially lowering the price is probably a bad thing....anyone who is on the fence is going to wait for a price drop now.

IMO the price is at the right point. Maybe a few free weekends would help, let people try out the game before dropping the money<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed. We can worry about the price after release and sales die down.

Comparing the price to CS:GO is unfair, since Valve always release F2P and cheap games simply to bring people to the Steam platform. They are swimming in money. Suppose the average consumer doesn't care about this though.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1963226:date=Aug 15 2012, 06:00 AM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Aug 15 2012, 06:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For the pick-up game, you should have a few options if you want to get one going.

Make it so that someone needs to be the server host.
    If someone has a private server, they can put that they will be the server host, they enter the ip and password and when there are 12 people it auto-connects them to that server. (Details about the server should be visible, location, ping to server, slots)

Secondly, you need to be able to choose the map.

Make it so that there NEEDS to be atleast 2 commanders and they need to be on opposite teams. Just toss in a check box, that if you're willing to be a commander you click it and if a PUG is looking for a commander, he's added to the pug (over a regular player).

I also wouldn't mind a feature which you can choose which type of skill level of pug you'd like to join. ex: Beginner, Good, Top Tier. That way if people who are especially good want to only pug with people who know the game very well and want a challenge, they can select Top Tier, beginners also could play with other beginners and that way rather than just getting demolished, they can play the game with other people who are trying to learn the game.

Also, I feel as though people who are willing to be a commander in the game, their record should be kept, their lose/win ratio as a commander. (That way people can get a feeling of their skill level) Or maybe even just 'min/hours' played as commander.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This are actually very good ideas. Please make an own thread for this or this will get lost.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the other hand, Marc got a basic Gather feature working. Click "Pick Up Game", then when 12 people ready, auto-connects to empty server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

dat feeling you get when a suggestion you make appears in game.

Very likely just a coincidence, but just let me bathe in my ignorant self importance for a little while. ;)
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the other hand, Marc got a basic Gather feature working. Click "Pick Up Game", then when 12 people ready, auto-connects to empty server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Now go make it advanced Marc!
    So you can sign up as a group, to make sure you get into the same team and match (2-6 players).
    Make sure that you can sign up a specific server(with a password, the game automaticly gives password to the other clients?).

The basic system above, would just be filling up public servers, and not really making pickup games.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1963396:date=Aug 15 2012, 01:01 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Aug 15 2012, 01:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now go make it advanced Marc!
    So you can sign up as a group, to make sure you get into the same team and match (2-6 players).
    Make sure that you can sign up a specific server(with a password, the game automaticly gives password to the other clients?).

The basic system above, would just be filling up public servers, and not really making pickup games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seconded. I think it is important to note that there are a lot of variables that come together which make gathers...gathers.

It is not something you can half ass and get much benefit from, as it will not be like a gather.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    What makes gathers fun?

Each side needs a proper commander.
    Teams should be relative even, in ensl we archive this because most ppl know eachother, so player picks for each side can be relative balanced, and commanders usually get voted as teamcaptains for each side.

But ofc there also lots of games that are very one sided, either because the lack of commanders signed up(so one team that has nobody that really wants to command, and it shows in the results), or because ppl made very bad decisions while picking.
    The result of such games usually is that a lot ppl dont sign up for the next gathers, because the experience from such gathers can be more frustrating than the worst pub games.

edit: also ppl signing up for gathers and then go afk for a long time is a serious issue you have to deal with.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not patching right now is probably a good thing too as so much had changed: 2 new commander UIs, removal pres ma<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait so does this tweet mean marines are going back to a model with no personal res? Or are you just changing how it's represented on the UI?

Don't leave us hanging T_T
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1964110:date=Aug 16 2012, 02:09 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Aug 16 2012, 02:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1964110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait so does this tweet mean marines are going back to a model with no personal res? Or are you just changing how it's represented on the UI?

Don't leave us hanging T_T<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He meant no PRes gain for Commanders (also no PRes icon while in Comm view). Everything the Comm can buy will cost TRes!

Darn Twitter word count :P
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1964113:date=Aug 16 2012, 05:12 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Aug 16 2012, 05:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1964113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He meant no PRes gain for Commanders (also no PRes icon while in Comm view). Everything the Comm can buy will cost TRes!

Darn Twitter word count :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can't wait to see how this plays out, I hope it includes weapons, equipment, and lifeforms.
  • LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I think he meant only the marine commander. the alien commander will hopefully still gain Pres. otherwise Im pretty sure I'll never command aliens again.

I want to be onos at the end mostly because being an alien commander full time bores the crap out of me...
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    does that mean that the exo will now be in 217? *puppy dog face*
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1964113:date=Aug 16 2012, 04:12 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Aug 16 2012, 04:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1964113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He meant no PRes gain for Commanders (also no PRes icon while in Comm view). Everything the Comm can buy will cost TRes!

Oh, I would be so glad about this! It bugged me a lot how the comm still had 2 different types of res and was already about to start a thread because of it.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think he meant only the marine commander. the alien commander will hopefully still gain Pres. otherwise Im pretty sure I'll never command aliens again.

I want to be onos at the end mostly because being an alien commander full time bores the crap out of me...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wouldn't it be better to improve the job as alien-comm then? Switching comms midgame doesn't make much sense.
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1964132:date=Aug 17 2012, 07:33 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Aug 17 2012, 07:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1964132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->does that mean that the exo will now be in 217? *puppy dog face*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cory confirmed in one of the patch threads that exo will not be in 217.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1964132:date=Aug 16 2012, 10:33 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Aug 16 2012, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1964132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->does that mean that the exo will now be in 217? *puppy dog face*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wasn't the EXO supposed to be showcased at Gamescomm? (by the sounds of things)... perhaps we will.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--coloro:#808080--><span style="color:#808080"><!--/coloro-->>Not patching right now is probably a good thing too as so much had changed: 2 new commander UIs, removal pres ma<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->>...2 new commander UIs...<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Bitá Žchn'
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Finally, they fixed the pres problem for commanders, woohoo :D Great decision UWE :)

Putting it to Tres is a great solution, so if you get overflow of resources for your team then spend it on droping them gear. :)

Keep up the good work :D
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1964113:date=Aug 16 2012, 04:12 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Aug 16 2012, 04:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1964113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He meant no PRes gain for Commanders (also no PRes icon while in Comm view). Everything the Comm can buy will cost TRes!

It's not often that they cut off the message in a tweet. I was thinking "wow, it's late for them to revert back to that model!"
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    edited August 2012
    Also what is a UI? I keep seeing the term thrown about.