Parasite concept.

antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">Wouldnt this be awesome?</div>Imagine that if you parasite a marine, you would have the option to "see through his eyes" in a first person perspective via the marines perspective.

You could only have one marine "parasited" at a time, and the parasite would last 1-2 minutes.

Then you would simply press Q or whatever button and gain instant vision to whatever the marine sees.

Parasites would not show you where marines were on minimaps, but you could use your view of his surroundings to determine his location and the possible locations / strategies of his teammates.

Comments

• 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    I don't really like this idea, but apart from that, i think it can't be implemented, unless they have a first person spectator system implemented, which will take a long time.

I don't like it, because i think that parasites are not only for a single skulks information, but for the whole team as well.
  • RicenchickenRicenchicken Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154777Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960533:date=Aug 10 2012, 11:04 AM:name=3del!)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (3del! @ Aug 10 2012, 11:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't really like this idea, but apart from that, i think it can't be implemented, unless they have a first person spectator system implemented, which will take a long time.

I don't like it, because i think that parasites are not only for a single skulks information, but for the whole team as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The skulk that parasited the marine could see what they have in their base and plan an attack accordingly.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    you mean like this suggestion I posted about 12 hrs ago? lol :)

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119970" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=119970</a>

its more or less the same idea, except skulk does para - commander does the viewing
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would like that parasites implode in marines after a minute or so, killing the marine and spawning a bunch of babblers. Of course as a upgradable skill via hive.

I'm not a fan of too much camviews.
  • DietOliveDietOlive Join Date: 2012-08-10 Member: 155232Members
    edited August 2012
    I would like the parasited marine to give vision to the commander as if he was a friendly unit, anything more than that and parasite would be too powerful IMO.

(Edit: and for the ground aliens to see him through walls and on the map ofc)
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ^ I like this idea. I'd say that it does no damage, but allows vision through walls and to the commander. You could even get rid of the marine showing up on the map for everyone (except comm since that's all they see). Atm, I feel like parasite is pretty useless since the damage is negligible, especially after armor upgrades and it's not worth possibly sacrificing the element of surprise to stick my head out and parasite them. Plus, the giant green marine thing is just a bit obvious :P.
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
    Cool yes but awful when it comes down to gameplay.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    If you already parasited him, you know where he is.
    No need to see his point of view for that.
    Also, being "afk" as a skulk, viewing a marines perspective, might just get you killed.
  • PhenakistPhenakist Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154948Members
    In regards to the first responder, I don't see how it would be impossible to implement, it's an overlay screen. Of course I an sure I have over simplified the coding needed, however impossible I really doubt it.

Speculation aside, parasite needs to be more effective in one form or another. Currently as soon as I am parasited I take a 10-15second run back to my forward armory to get rid of it instantly so they can't see where I am anymore, not exactly worth the effort on the skulk's part.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963460:date=Aug 15 2012, 10:10 AM:name=Phenakist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phenakist @ Aug 15 2012, 10:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In regards to the first responder, I don't see how it would be impossible to implement, it's an overlay screen. Of course I an sure I have over simplified the coding needed, however impossible I really doubt it.

Speculation aside, parasite needs to be more effective in one form or another. Currently as soon as I am parasited I take a 10-15second run back to my forward armory to get rid of it instantly so they can't see where I am anymore, not exactly worth the effort on the skulk's part.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wow, you don't think taking a marine out of the picture for 20-30 seconds is worth it? If every marine I parasited did that I'd use it a lot more!
  • PhenakistPhenakist Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154948Members
    In the early game, I would say it was worth it as forward bases and armories are sparse...but really, they are ineffective at achieving anything once the marines have a competent commander and forward armories, that 20-25seconds is down to 2-5 with backup from 5+ marines
  • CasusCasus Join Date: 2009-07-16 Member: 68153Members
    I'd like parasite to work like it did in NS1...this day glow green, map only thing is not satisfying.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Parasite already has a pretty strong use. At the start of the game a parasite will make a marine take 2 bites instead of 3 which is a big advantage.

If their going ot leave it in this day glow nonsense maybe make it so it indicates his hp. From bright green to red? Tbh I want hivesight back, marine comm already has much better awareness of the enemy (can actualyl see skulks in their territory rather than just a black fuzz) so why not hivesight? Made offensive gorge easier too if you had some good skulks early on