Aiming bonus for crouched marines?

Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
Title says it all. There should be some slight advantage to aim if you're dedicated to sitting still rather than jinking all around.

Comments

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited August 2012
    what kind of aim bonus are you thinking of, you didn't really say. Are you saying that the cone of fire should be narrower? or the rifle does more dmg etc?

also I've read a few times that crouching in real life makes it hard to aim than standing :P

edit: in a way it crouching gives your team mates a bonus since they can shoot around you easier.
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    edited August 2012
    Please take call of duty with you and leave. This will NEVER be implemented in a game like NS
  • RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    It would be worth trying out for sure. I'd love to trade in the jumping jack marines for ones who actually try to dig in and aim at advancing aliens.

Why not an increased damage bonus?
    A laser sight on the pistol increased damage.
    Presumably it's simulating more accurate but slower shots at vital areas.
  • Insurance SalesmanInsurance Salesman Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152617Members
    Um... how much more accurate do you want the guns to get? They're already practically pin-point accurate as it is (and probably should be considering the strength and speed of their opponents).

Besides, it's not like crouching doesn't have a use already. You can crouch to work your way through vents, under clog walls, or to allow your teammates to fire over you.
  • NukoeNukoe Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962020:date=Aug 12 2012, 08:38 PM:name=mf-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mf- @ Aug 12 2012, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please take call of duty with you and leave. This will NEVER be implemented in a game like NS<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll agree that too many FPS games take elements from CoD for no reason, but improved aim when crouching is not an excusive CoD trait lol. We can't just yell CoD at the suggestion of new ideas for the FPS mechanics.
  • H3lixH3lix Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154722Members, NS2 Map Tester
    there are times i have found myself crouch moving around corners with a shotty. 1) it puts me at the same level as skulks for a easy 1 shot kill 2) if i am playing against newbs it is even easier to kill the since they never jump :). I wouldn't consider this a "bonus" but it goes along way vs newb skulks, lol
  • MorshuMorshu Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155539Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't see why this would be needed now with the improved hitreg for the marines and all.

Personally I think crouch is good enough for what it does, lowers you so the rest of the team can shoot over you and assist.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2012
    Afraid I have to say no too, as every gun is pin-point accurate as it is.

A damage increase could be interesting, forcing marines to decide between mobility or firepower. But then I don't see how crouching would logically make your bullets hit harder. ;)

Perhaps this could be a feature exclusive to the exo-suit though, assuming they get a weapon with a lot of spread (mini-gun).
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The only weapon with any type of inaccuracy is the shotgun (its spread pattern). All the rest are pretty much fully accurate except for bugs with hitreg and the weird GL nade issue.
  • DietOliveDietOlive Join Date: 2012-08-10 Member: 155232Members
    While crouching in real life makes it easier to aim I do not think that feature fits with this game as it does slow down gameplay a lot.

This game is more about team play and speed than slow accurate aiming (tho slowing down your shots helps shotgun play).
    This is a game about tactics and teamwork, and this would expand your tactical options by choosing between mobility or firepower.

Plus it would look cooler to see marines kneeling down against advancing aliens rather than their first instinct being to flop around like fish out of water whilst unloading clips.
  • DietOliveDietOlive Join Date: 2012-08-10 Member: 155232Members
    If aiming is improved by kneeling down you might as well have aim down sight and go the full step.

You shouldn't have to stop a 'marine train', get on your knees, aim and fire to shoot two skulks.

Besides, a marine that is immobile is almost as easy to chew on as a powernode.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1962314:date=Aug 13 2012, 11:40 AM:name=DietOlive)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DietOlive @ Aug 13 2012, 11:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962314"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If aiming is improved by kneeling down you might as well have aim down sight and go the full step.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I just like some rewards for more tactical and calculated marine behavior.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You shouldn't have to stop a 'marine train', get on your knees, aim and fire to shoot two skulks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You probably wouldn't need to in that situation.

Now, if it's a pissed off onos charging down the hallway, maybe you might consider that extra damage a lifesaver in groups.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Besides, a marine that is immobile is almost as easy to chew on as a powernode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's why it's a trade off.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1962527:date=Aug 13 2012, 09:20 PM:name=Rise)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rise @ Aug 13 2012, 09:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962527"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just like some rewards for more tactical and calculated marine behavior.

You probably wouldn't need to in that situation.

Now, if it's a pissed off onos charging down the hallway, maybe you might consider that extra damage a lifesaver in groups.

That's why it's a trade off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a little silly, and a classic misconception.

Just because game play is fast paced, doesn't mean it isn't tactical and calculated. There is a lot of thought that goes into where a good marine stands / moves with relation to his team mates and the aliens. Like others have said, crouching when you are in the front is a good idea.

NS chooses to emphasize movement rather then precise aim. It is a stylistic choice.

Having a bonus for standing still goes against the basic feel of the game, imo. It is a twitch based shooter at its heart, with an RTS overlay. This means the action sequences are fast paced, but they are spaced out between calm positioning / advancement plays. I think this is one of the things that makes ns fun.
  • PhenakistPhenakist Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154948Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962020:date=Aug 13 2012, 04:38 AM:name=mf-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mf- @ Aug 13 2012, 04:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please take call of duty with you and leave. This will NEVER be implemented in a game like NS<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A little over-zealous don't you think?

Personally I don't see the need to crouch other than if I am feeling dumb enough to climb into an air vent. You are less mobile which normally makes you a dead marine. Your aim as a marine is already recoilless with the rifle so I don't see how that can possibly be buffed. Damage would make no sense and also has a significant possibility to unbalance early/mid/late game....what would the buff even be?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1963465:date=Aug 15 2012, 02:17 PM:name=Phenakist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phenakist @ Aug 15 2012, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally I don't see the need to crouch other than if I am feeling dumb enough to climb into an air vent. You are less mobile which normally makes you a dead marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well it is fun to try none the less, the general consensus is that as an alien you do not encounter marines in vents. The element of surprise can work in mysterious ways sometimes :D Add to this the fact that vents deny aliens from manoeuvring much, as in they have to walk in straight lines, it can work in favour of marines
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    There are no movement based penalties for accuracy AFAIK, it doesn't seem to make any sense to incorporate rewards.

<!--quoteo(post=1962020:date=Aug 12 2012, 07:38 PM:name=mf-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mf- @ Aug 12 2012, 07:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please take call of duty with you and leave. This will NEVER be implemented in a game like NS<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like sprinting?
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962140:date=Aug 13 2012, 08:33 PM:name=H3lix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (H3lix @ Aug 13 2012, 08:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962140"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there are times i have found myself crouch moving around corners with a shotty. 1) it puts me at the same level as skulks for a easy 1 shot kill 2) if i am playing against newbs it is even easier to kill the since they never jump :). I wouldn't consider this a "bonus" but it goes along way vs newb skulks, lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This, but it's not just limited to newbies. If you can at all times control your aim such that the reticule is over the skulk, you'll never have a problem. But for most of us, we do a bit of predictive shooting. A standing marine shooting at a skulk must aim slightly dowards. That means the bullet will only be at the right height to hit the skulk for part of the bullet's trajectory. Conversely, if you crouch, your bullet will fly continuously at the right height (pretty much) until it hits the skulk. In a way, it's like shooting a target in 3d vs 2d, 2d is much easier.

But because you are so much less mobile while crouching, you are more vulernable once a skulk gets beside you. So you can only get away with it while the skulk is still at range. In practical terms, I find that I crouch for really short periods of time, maybe just a few rounds, but it can make a big difference.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Guns in NS2 are already near 100% accurate.

<!--quoteo(post=1962015:date=Aug 12 2012, 10:27 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Aug 12 2012, 10:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->also I've read a few times that crouching in real life makes it hard to aim than standing :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is. Recoil is harder to resist when you are crouching. When standing you can brace yourself against it.