Spy party beta

ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
<div class="IPBDescription">Anyone else in</div>I just got an invite to the spy party beta. I paid my $15 and I'm installing it now. Did anyone else get invited in this wave?

--Scythe--

Comments

• Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    I haven't gotten into it at all, and do not intend to. However, one thing is nagging me a lot:

Didn't Giant Bomb have a video about the game? Where they sat down with developers and played it? Because, I can't find that anywhere, and I wanted to post it here in this thread to answer the inevitable question: 'what the hell is Spy Party?'.

Now I feel like a <a href="http://www.tjhowse.com/blatanttheft/Look%20at%20DCS%20A-10C%20_%20Rock,%20Paper,%20Shotgun_files/ridiculous_2.png" target="_blank">crazy person</a>. Surely that video exists, right? Please?
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    It does! I remember seeing it. It might have been during a live stream at some point.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Quick question. What is spy party :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    edited August 2012
    You have to disguise and act like a bot while another person has to identify you. :P
    Sound like a good ol'fashioned game of hide and seek :P ill check it out
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    So it's The Ship then?
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1963455:date=Aug 15 2012, 10:02 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Aug 15 2012, 10:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So it's The Ship then?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's what I thought...
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963455:date=Aug 15 2012, 09:02 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Aug 15 2012, 09:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So it's The Ship then?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If I describe Natural Selection 2 as "a game with aliens and marines and the aliens run around climbing on walls and there are RTS elements too because each side builds buildings and so on" and you said "So it's Tremulous then?" you'd sort of be right but you'd also be missing 99% of what makes Natural Selection different from Tremulous. When you say "So it's The Ship then?" you're sort of right but you're missing 99% of what makes Spy Party different from The Ship.

Spy Party is 1 vs 1: 1 sniper, 1 spy. The Ship has tons of people. The sniper can basically see the whole room (or most of it) through their scope, whereas in The Ship you roam around a large level. Spy Party is 1 round and then it's done (or I guess 1 round as Spy and 1 as Sniper). The Ship has respawning and goes on for a while. Spy Party is all about mind games and deception and bluffing. The Ship is all about bodily needs and choosing the right items and finding your target and not being seen by security with weapons and stuff like this.

Basically you just played one of <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/175586/cliff_bleszinskis_game_developer_.php" target="_blank">Cliffy B's game developer flashcards</a>, the "It's just X+Y" card, only this this case it's the "It's just X" card.
    edited August 2012
    Actually I just played the "I have played neither of those games but maybe if I make oversimplified statements I'll get some actual info about the game" card. Apparently it worked! Thanks, you've been the most helpful so far.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    edited August 2012
    More info: in Spy Party, the spy has a number of objectives (like "bug the ambassador, retrieve the film hidden in a book in the bookcase, make contact with the double agent") which they have to accomplish while they think the sniper isn't paying attention. All of these actions are accomplished via fast little minigames: if you do well, you do the action faster, and if you screw up you do it slower or don't accomplish it (can't remember which). If the sniper notices any of things, you're dead, so you have to be very careful. If the sniper suspects you are the spy because you aren't acting naturally, that will also get you killed, so you need to act like the rest of the characters and wander around the party, talk with people, drink martinis, etc. There are like a billion YouTube videos of it but here's a random one to check out:

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dUxz4WKkIk"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dUxz4WKkIk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    This game is really made by the *____-agency*, it's a tournament, and the winner is drafted into service. If you ever get invited to a secret beta within the beta, beware, you may be playing more than a game.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    It's basically a turing test. Passing means you die.

It's very very hard for newbies. They strongly suggest playing against people on your own level, hence my looking for anyone else just starting out.

--Scythe--
    Makes sense. An experienced player will be very familiar with how the AI acts and what does and doesn't look natural.

I wouldn't call it a turing test. I'd call it a reverse turing test: Can a human successfully impersonate a computer?
    Been watching a lot of gameplay. Looks really fun
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Zomg I won! Against someone who'd never played before, but a win is a win! He dropped the secret passphrase when only a few guests were in conversation, so that narrowed it down a heap. He also made a beeline for the window and checked his watch with 10 seconds on the counter, trying to add more time. I shot him in the face.

--Scythe--
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I heard that mentioned in the video posted. Is there any way you'd avoid being spotted when checking your watch?
    <!--quoteo(post=1963917:date=Aug 16 2012, 10:06 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Aug 16 2012, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I heard that mentioned in the video posted. Is there any way you'd avoid being spotted when checking your watch?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can time your watch-check with an AI's. It's a pretty brief motion so if the sniper's not looking you might get away with it. You can also check your watch without adding time, but that's of no use if you're desperate for extra time.

--Scythe--