Game Price

Comments

• NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    Wait for release sales, see how it goes, <i>then</i> lower price if things don't pan out well.
  • CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
    edited August 2012
    I've heard several times that most of the (all?) DLC for NS2 will be free. That is something that I think would make people who think 35$ is too steep reconsider. We've all gotten so used to having to pay over and over for the same game today that it really needs to be pointed out.

If that indeed is the plan, it should be made more clear, as well as be proudly put up as a selling point imo.
  • NukoeNukoe Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154821Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1963173:date=Aug 14 2012, 06:32 PM:name=Cim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cim @ Aug 14 2012, 06:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963173"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've heard several times that most of the (all?) DLC for NS2 will be free. That is something that I think would make people who think 35$ is too steep reconsider. We've all gotten so used to having to pay over and over for the same game today that it really needs to be pointed out.

If that indeed is the plan, it should be made more clear, as well as be proudly put up as a selling point imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would help, make it a bullet point in your steam features. Also, add a refer a friend option to reduce the price to 30ish. Make it a bullet point in your steam features, and release a four pack.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    Is paid cosmetic DLC something that people would really object to? As long as it is as tasteful and unobtrusive as the black armor, which most people don't even notice in game.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    If $35 is breaking your budget then you obviously won't own a PC rig good enough to play the game in it's current state as it also requires high end PC gear to play it.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    The price is just fine. And Valve is not an anomaly. CS GO is exactly the same game as CSS, TF2 was a bestseller and after they drained it as much as they could, they introduced a micro economy, made it free and now thousands and thousands of new players are potential customers of this micro economy which will bring them even more money. Nothing anomalous about Valve, a greedy corporation just like any other (referring to the price conversion from USD to EUR, which according to Valve is 1 to 1). The price is fine for a game with so much replayability.
  • HellstrofHellstrof Join Date: 2012-08-11 Member: 155459Members
    Price is fine if you realize awesomeness of the game. Demo is a must, free weekends at the launch will do the job too.
    Also it would be nice to have something like invitation system, when you can get couple of your friend to play with you for weekends.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I personally wouldn't mind if the price dropped, at this price we're technically paying for the pre-order alpha/beta access, plus the finished game at release. We've had our fun and definitely have already got our money's worth. So once the game is out, the rest of the people didn't get the chance to play the alpha/beta, they just get the finished game without any of the perks (black armour). So I find it'd be okay to lower the price a bit. (25$'ish i'd say)
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1963228:date=Aug 14 2012, 09:14 PM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Aug 14 2012, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963228"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally wouldn't mind if the price dropped, at this price we're technically paying for the pre-order alpha/beta access, plus the finished game at release. We've had our fun and definitely have already got our money's worth. So once the game is out, the rest of the people didn't get the chance to play the alpha/beta, they just get the finished game without any of the perks (black armour). So I find it'd be okay to lower the price a bit. (25$'ish i'd say)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're right. I'd of paid any price just to try the game ASAP... I'd of pulled my hair out of my head if I hadn't and just waited for the release and watch YT videos...

UWE I still love you no matter what :D Don't forget it!
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I've said this before, but seriously guys, ITS UNDERPRICED, not OVERPRICED.
    Most of the people ###### about it's price would buy call of duty modern warfare 5 or 6 for 200 bucks, even if its the EXACT SAME as 1 2 3 or 4. So they can go FK themselves, kindly, whilst i enjoy this fun, modable, underpriced, full of content, (TWO GAMES IN ONE, FPS, STRATEGY) and funnesness.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Serious fanboy explosion?

Lower the better for more players, but dont go bankrupt! We would not get updates (which would not be true if the game was successful though)
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Normal game price here is 49,-€.
    You are an indi-studio, so people expect lower prices. <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->(-)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    The graphics of this game can compete with games from non-indie developers. At least they can when performance is fixed. Thous contradicts the first point. <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->(+)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    This game is 10 times more complex than any CS:GO or CoD. More complexity is more development expense. So the price should go up. <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->(+)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    More complexity leads to more long play value. You can play the game longer before you have seen anything, therefor a higher price is ok. <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->(+)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    The game is multiplayer only and has only a few maps. <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->(--)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    There will be free patches after release. This should be communicated more open. <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->(+)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    There is no alternative in this genre. NS is the only really consequent RTS/FPS hybrid. <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->(+)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<u>Conclusion:</u>
    <b>All in all, the price is just right.</b> If you would be called "EA" instead of "UWE" you could sell the exactly same game for 50 bucks. (despite performance issues... you know.)
    As others have said, most people who want lower prices wouldn't play this game for very long. It is simply the wrong target audience.
    A lower price will only generate a little plus in sales. The main problem of this game is, that it isn't known enough. As soon as you get the performance right and hit 1.0 you should make a "free weekend" on steam. People should try the game to see if it fits. You will get publicity by this and when the people have played the game and had fun, they will buy it for this price.
    When sales are going down after release you can lower the price in a steam sale event.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    How is that a fanboy explosion?!
    They are indie, they are producing a fantastic game, so i say the thing's underpriced, if a bit loudly, and you say i had a fanboy explosion?! Pah!
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    Assuming the game ships with acceptable performance for both client and servers the price is right. That is looking to be incredibly unlikely though.

If this goes live with bad performance, it won't matter what price you charge.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1963346:date=Aug 15 2012, 04:57 AM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Aug 15 2012, 04:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If this goes live with bad performance, it won't matter what price you charge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Right, so I would think the smart plan would be to keep the game in beta, however long it takes, until performance is where it needs to be, as long as UWE can afford to.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    I think Australians should probably stay out of this thread, since we can't really offer much value.

Any game under $90AUD is a good deal. Any game that normally sells for $35USD in the US would go for at least $60AUD, and up to $100AUD.

Maybe you should raise the price for just AuroN2?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1963205:date=Aug 15 2012, 03:44 AM:name=cake.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cake. @ Aug 15 2012, 03:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(referring to the price conversion from USD to EUR, which according to Valve is 1 to 1).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is due to VAT, which the US doesn't have. It doesn't add up to exactly the same amount but it's a difference of less than a dollar.
    <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/wp1oo/do_you_think_gems_are_too_expensive_for_eu_zone/c5fay5u" target="_blank">details</a>
  • therake6therake6 Join Date: 2011-12-04 Member: 136544Members
    I try not to include valve games in any pricing arguments. I'm pretty sure valve makes all of their money from steam, then breaks even on the games they make
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963228:date=Aug 15 2012, 05:14 AM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Aug 15 2012, 05:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963228"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally wouldn't mind if the price dropped, at this price we're technically paying for the pre-order alpha/beta access, plus the finished game at release. We've had our fun and definitely have already got our money's worth. So once the game is out, the rest of the people didn't get the chance to play the alpha/beta, they just get the finished game without any of the perks (black armour). So I find it'd be okay to lower the price a bit. (25$'ish i'd say)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't care awfully much if the price actually goes down, but I absolutely don't want any kind of general "We've had our fun with the beta" excuse build up for it. Some people still can't even play the game, others much rather spend their time elsewhere at least until the game is finished.

I'm definitely fine with people being happy with the beta time, but it's very up to everyone decide by themselves what's it worth. I absolutely don't want to see the beta time as some kind of makeshift product that's supposed to magically make up for the price difference if someone gets unhappy about it.
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963317:date=Aug 15 2012, 05:56 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Aug 15 2012, 05:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Normal game price here is 49,-€.
    You are an indi-studio, so people expect lower prices. <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->(-)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    The graphics of this game can compete with games from non-indie developers. At least they can when performance is fixed. Thous contradicts the first point. <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->(+)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    This game is 10 times more complex than any CS:GO or CoD. More complexity is more development expense. So the price should go up. <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->(+)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    More complexity leads to more long play value. You can play the game longer before you have seen anything, therefor a higher price is ok. <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->(+)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    The game is multiplayer only and has only a few maps. <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->(--)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    There will be free patches after release. This should be communicated more open. <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->(+)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    There is no alternative in this genre. NS is the only really consequent RTS/FPS hybrid. <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->(+)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<u>Conclusion:</u>
    <b>All in all, the price is just right.</b> If you would be called "EA" instead of "UWE" you could sell the exactly same game for 50 bucks. (despite performance issues... you know.)
    As others have said, most people who want lower prices wouldn't play this game for very long. It is simply the wrong target audience.
    A lower price will only generate a little plus in sales. The main problem of this game is, that it isn't known enough. As soon as you get the performance right and hit 1.0 you should make a "free weekend" on steam. People should try the game to see if it fits. You will get publicity by this and when the people have played the game and had fun, they will buy it for this price.
    When sales are going down after release you can lower the price in a steam sale event.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you forgot that the game comes with all the source code + sdk <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->(++++++++++++++++++++++)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    and steamworkshop for maps and mods <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->(+++)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • [R8]DJBourgeoisie[R8]DJBourgeoisie Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62176Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1963110:date=Aug 14 2012, 11:42 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Aug 14 2012, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->CS:GO has pretty bad graphics. Its just a relaunch of CSS.

Plus Valve is an anomaly anyway. They constantly release under-priced or free games, just to suck people into the Steam platform.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually you are wrong, CS:GO is actually different from both 1.6 and CSS.

FYI Valve does not price games on steam, that is up to the publisher. Valve will make a recommendation of a price point if you want (I've personally gone through that process with them) with statistics provided that will give you the highest potential return.

*Edit*

If you UWE has questions about what price point they should be targeting, they should work with Valve on it as that is part of the benefit of using Steamworks. I can almost guarantee you they will not think 35 is a very good price for NS2.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    @goblin: You are right. That is also a huge point.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1963452:date=Aug 15 2012, 08:59 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Aug 15 2012, 08:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963452"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't care awfully much if the price actually goes down, but I absolutely don't want any kind of general "We've had our fun with the beta" excuse build up for it. Some people still can't even play the game, others much rather spend their time elsewhere at least until the game is finished.

I'm definitely fine with people being happy with the beta time, but it's very up to everyone decide by themselves what's it worth. I absolutely don't want to see the beta time as some kind of makeshift product that's supposed to magically make up for the price difference if someone gets unhappy about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's not our fault, UWE has always been very understanding and have always said that they would refund. If people can't play, then they should have gotten a refund and purchase the game on release whenever it would perhaps be cheaper and playable for them.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    CS:GO full price is 29.99 euros. it's advertised at 13.99 10% off 12.49 for beta, but launch price is 29.99.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963110:date=Aug 14 2012, 03:42 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Aug 14 2012, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->CS:GO has pretty bad graphics. Its just a relaunch of CSS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ehm... CS:GO/CSS = NS/NS2 ? :>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Plus Valve is an anomaly anyway. They constantly release under-priced or free games, just to suck people into the Steam platform.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What? Sry, thats not true. HL2, Portal2, L4d, l4d2 were fullprice games @ release. Only team fortress 2 is free2play now(20-25 dollars @ release, if I remember correct)
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963472:date=Aug 15 2012, 03:27 PM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Aug 15 2012, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's not our fault, UWE has always been very understanding and have always said that they would refund. If people can't play, then they should have gotten a refund and purchase the game on release whenever it would perhaps be cheaper and playable for them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If people went asking for refund when UWE fails to deliver a functional product, UWE would've been bankrupt multitude of times already, probably long before the game made it to the 'beta'.

People have been giving them plenty of understanding and patience because they want an indie company to create something awesome. It's pretty nasty if they're kind of punished for giving UWE that very much needed breathing space and being told "Ohh, but you should've just got a refund."
  • NuxraNuxra Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154976Members
    I think $20 to be honest. This is a pure multiplayer game with no Campaign or anything. Doesn't really feel like there is a whole lot to it. Don't get me wrong, I love this game and it's really fun, but it feels like TF2 almost, and that's free.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963350:date=Aug 15 2012, 08:14 PM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Aug 15 2012, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Australians should probably stay out of this thread, since we can't really offer much value.

Any game under $90AUD is a good deal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

only if you are silly enough to buy games from the shops here - which I guess most people are so $35 is a steal!

I don't want to advertise here, but there is a UK based site that sells the real deal for an average of $45 a game including postage, and you get the box/dvd/manual just like you would in the store. only issue is it takes 6-12 days to arrive, but that doesn't bother me so much, since most games need a patch or two after release anyway.
  • Locke504Locke504 Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71511Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1962964:date=Aug 14 2012, 03:24 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Aug 14 2012, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've always liked the "less is more" philosophy, i would have kept the game at it's original 20 bucks. 35 bucks for a multiplayer-only game is/was a ballsy move. would the counter strike series be as successful selling it at a much higher price? more than likely. but selling multiplayer-only games at a low price ensures the flow of new players is always there, keeping the servers full for the devoted fans.

although i wonder why UWE brings up this topic now. surely they don't plan to cut the price after so many people have already bought the marked up price of 35? that would just be a kick in the balls.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I always considered my 35 dollar purchase my way of financing the actual game, not so much me buying the game. When I originally bought, this game was still in the early early stages and wasn't really playable, and I wasn't even sure the game would ever release.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963504:date=Aug 15 2012, 10:20 AM:name=Mr.Greedy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.Greedy @ Aug 15 2012, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What? Sry, thats not true. HL2, Portal2, L4d, l4d2 were fullprice games @ release. Only team fortress 2 is free2play now(20-25 dollars @ release, if I remember correct)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes. Alien Swarm was first, then they made TF2 free, and now they are going to release DotA 2 for free. Multiplayer games such as these generate alot of activity on the steam service.