Game Price

Death_by_bulletsDeath_by_bullets Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27336Members
<div class="IPBDescription">wtf is all the khommotion?</div>Why is there a lot of fuss over the price of NS2?

The game is $34.95 which is a deal compared to other games. I saw the post about CS:GO which is 15 bucks. That is an anomaly in the game world (not counting FTP games) to have something so polished for so cheap (Thanks Valve). I believe your price is fine because even if you dropped it to like 15 or 20 bucks, your aggregate sales would need to make up 200 percent to achieve the same amount (Assuming fixed rate of sales and all other things equal)

Maybe I'll make a graph....

Comments

• Tom_Hanks13Tom_Hanks13 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155569Members
    I saw that twitter post too and personally think the price is fine at the moment. MAYBE $30 if they feel they must drop price. I do think that they should do what steam does and occasionally do a weekend sale or promotion of some type. Those types of sales always lead to more people finding out about the game than would have otherwise.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    I think $30 (or 29.99) would be a little better to attract impulse buys. Beyond that, I think steam sales and free weekends should be plenty to attract people with tight wallets.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited August 2012
    I've always liked the "less is more" philosophy, i would have kept the game at it's original 20 bucks. 35 bucks for a multiplayer-only game is/was a ballsy move. would the counter strike series be as successful selling it at a much higher price? more than likely. but selling multiplayer-only games at a low price ensures the flow of new players is always there, keeping the servers full for the devoted fans.

although i wonder why UWE brings up this topic now. surely they don't plan to cut the price after so many people have already bought the marked up price of 35? that would just be a kick in the balls.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Red orchestra 2 was multiplayer only and it did just fine at 40 dollars for regular or 50 dollars for speciall edition. Leave it how it is!!! 35 dollars is a steal for this game!!!
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited August 2012
    as abysmal as it was, RO2 did have single player. and whats equally abysmal is it's ever staggering concurrent player count (a few shy of 1,200 players today). having been in it's beta, experiencing the game's launch in the mess it was in, and seeing these numbers now after only a year since it's release, i can't call that doing just fine.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    So if I waited for a polished game with the Exosuit, I could of saved 5 dollars on the full game?
    ###### me.
  • KuikiKuiki Join Date: 2012-02-03 Member: 143467Members
    I paid 28,71 Euro compared to a full price game with 49,90Eur-59,90Eur its still cheap. The guys who are crying, are the kiddies of a crack community because ns2 has no crack/gamefix cause spider/fairlight/Skidrow/Revolution make no cracks when the game has an update every week :-P
  • [R8]DJBourgeoisie[R8]DJBourgeoisie Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62176Members
    35 for a game most people have never heard of that is multiplayer only and no bot support is a bit steep.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2012
    $35 USD converts to roughly £22. So I'm content. :P

I'd say they'd do well to hold off until steam sales, then maybe in a few months (depending on how well the game is doing) knock off $10 or so. Decreasing the price now, while they are completely justified to do so, would leave a bad taste in the mouth of people who have already bought the game.

Remember what TB did for the sales. I'm sure being featured on steam will have a similar effect.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962987:date=Aug 14 2012, 01:57 PM:name=Kuiki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kuiki @ Aug 14 2012, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I paid 28,71 Euro compared to a full price game with 49,90Eur-59,90Eur its still cheap. The guys who are crying, are the kiddies of a crack community because ns2 has no crack/gamefix cause spider/fairlight/Skidrow/Revolution make no cracks when the game has an update every week :-P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Am I a noob for not understanding what this post even means?

Ok you paid the same price as me. I'm just saying I thought that by pre-ordering the game, I'd get it cheaper than the full price. What do you mean by crack community? Drug users?? Crackheads crying because they're broke?
  • StopSpazzingStopSpazzing Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42529Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1962952:date=Aug 14 2012, 01:03 PM:name=Atone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Atone @ Aug 14 2012, 01:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think $30 (or 29.99) would be a little better to attract impulse buys. Beyond that, I think steam sales and free weekends should be plenty to attract people with tight wallets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    34.99 is fine...BUT would be great if people recommended other people to get the game off 5 bucks, bringing it to 29.99. Like a discount system.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1962998:date=Aug 14 2012, 10:17 PM:name=CobraCommander)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CobraCommander @ Aug 14 2012, 10:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962998"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I a noob for not understanding what this post even means?

Ok you paid the same price as me. I'm just saying I thought that by pre-ordering the game, I'd get it cheaper than the full price. What do you mean by crack community? Drug users?? Crackheads crying because they're broke?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Crack as in being able to download and play the game for free. Which I'm not sure if it's possible, but then people love a challenge.

edit: Nice idea StopSpazzing. :)
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would pay $70 for a remake of NS1 on a current engine with slight tweaks, NS2 is well worth the $35 (if everything pans out like it is supposed too).
  • The3SeaShellsThe3SeaShells Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154812Members
    edited August 2012
    I think the game price is indeed pretty steep and I nearly didn't buy it because of this, even with the TB videos getting me stoked for it. I tried to convince a friend who happens to have a lot of disposable income to buy the game so he can play with me, but he didn't budge because he didn't want to pay 35 dollars for a multiplayer shooter when there's so many cheaper or free alternatives. CS:GO is 15 dollars and Planetside2 is F2P, these are high quality titles and if NS2 is going to be competitive in the online shooter market, I think it would benefit from lowering it's price to be more inline with other games.
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111955Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2012
    I do feel it should be slightly cheaper.

But i already own it so irrelevant to me

Also do a 4pack deal or something, people love those
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1963024:date=Aug 14 2012, 05:15 PM:name=The3SeaShells)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The3SeaShells @ Aug 14 2012, 05:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963024"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the game price is indeed pretty steep and I nearly didn't buy it because of this, even with the TB videos getting me stoked for it. I tried to convince a friend who happens to have a lot of disposable income to buy the game so he can play with me, but he didn't budge because he didn't want to pay 35 dollars for a multiplayer shooter when there's so many cheaper or free alternatives. CS:GO is 15 dollars and Planetside2 is F2P, these are high quality titles and if NS2 is going to be competitive in the online shooter market, I think it would benefit from lowering it's price to be more inline with other games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    CS:GO is just a slightly tweaked game that has already been re-released a couple times already, even still Valve is probably the only company in the industry that wouldn't charge $50 for it. So that is hardly inline with the industry. As for Planetside2, while I really liked the original every mirco transaction game ever sucks, not a model that UWE should be following.
    <!--quoteo(post=1963030:date=Aug 14 2012, 11:27 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Aug 14 2012, 11:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for Planetside2, while I really liked the original every mirco transaction game ever sucks, not a model that UWE should be following.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a rather old mindset to have. What about Blacklight Retribution, Tribes Ascend and, the most obvious, Team Fortress 2? Not to mention Guild Wars 2, which albeit isn't free, uses a micro-transaction model in lieu of a subscription fee. Sure some developers do it wrong and allow you to buy power, but the above games completely, or at least mostly, nail it.

Now fair enough if you just don't like the model, but to say the games suck because of it is hardly fair (or true).
  • OprahOprah Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155615Members
    Well considering how most video games now cost $60, I think 35 is a steal. Even if it's just a multiplayer game, games like CoD and Battlefield did fine selling their titles for 60, infact they are still making even more money off of them via DLC, and those games are "basically" single player.
  • Rapid_SausageRapid_Sausage Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154811Members
    edited August 2012
    i don't think dropping the price is an option anymore, not before at least 6 months after game release.

the current game they're offering is the standard edition, which means it's only the game and nothing but the game, no extra goodies or ingame apparel.

lowering the price any time soon will trigger -if i may say- a ######storm of angry pre-order customers.

so unless they add in some extra stuff for people who pre-ordered, i am 99.99% sure that the price won't drop.
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    They need to leave the pricing alone and structure a step down pricing strategy for post launch along with advertising and temporary sales. Face it, this is a niche game and the price tag of $35 is justifiable and proven effective. You have a limited market so make sure you don't diminish your revenue chasing the entire computer gaming market. The people who will only buy the game at $15 will buy it now or a year from now. They will wait. Some people will buy at $30, some at $25, $20 and so on. Once you gut your price and hit rock bottom that is it.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    inb4 the morons who complain that something they bought months earlier is now available for cheaper
  • burntcustardburntcustard Join Date: 2012-06-13 Member: 153223Members
    This article on the issue may be worth a read: <a href="http://www.geekwire.com/2011/experiments-video-game-economics-valves-gabe-newell/" target="_blank">http://www.geekwire.com/2011/experiments-v...es-gabe-newell/</a>

Looking at that, it seems like it would make sense to price NS2 quite low (not free, that's a different model and really doesn't fit). However, I think that NS2 more-or-less breaks (or should break) the rule of "unit elasticity", i.e. half the price = twice the sales, because currently (and I bet even after release) you NEED a powerful PC to play it, and need moderate to high levels of patience, skill and competence to enjoy playing. In my opinion therefore the sort of players who <i>should</i> be having fun in NS2 would generally be those with larger wallets (i.e. older, more mature, or more PC-game-enthusiastic players). That seems like a long winded way of saying "please no 12 year olds playing on second hand laptops", but I think it's a bit more in-depth than that. Also, just because a game SELLS more, doesn't mean it has more enthusiastic PLAYERS - I think pricing NS2 too low could create a lot of sales, but then damage the community (sort of) by having a lot of people who bought it but don't/can't play it, and don't recommend it to friends.

I would approve of seeing the odd free weekend in the distant future (players who hate noobs could avoid those, or play on servers that kick free-weekend-people).
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    CS:GO has pretty bad graphics. Its just a relaunch of CSS.

Plus Valve is an anomaly anyway. They constantly release under-priced or free games, just to suck people into the Steam platform.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would maybe bump it up to $39.99, especially if it ships with 8 maps.
  • StopSpazzingStopSpazzing Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42529Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1963041:date=Aug 14 2012, 03:44 PM:name=Rapid_Sausage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rapid_Sausage @ Aug 14 2012, 03:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i don't think dropping the price is an option anymore, not before at least 6 months after game release.

the current game they're offering is the standard edition, which means it's only the game and nothing but the game, no extra goodies or ingame apparel.

lowering the price any time soon will trigger -if i may say- a ######storm of angry pre-order customers.

so unless they add in some extra stuff for people who pre-ordered, i am 99.99% sure that the price won't drop.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then how about a refer a friend and get 5 bucks back?! Exactly what I said?
  • afx333afx333 Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155203Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    if the game is good. people will pay 35. i say make sure you make some good steam discounts often :)
    i paid 20 for pre-order and im happy...having to pay 35 (never having played NS1) i would wait for sale to buy...it depend how popular the game is i suppose, if there is a good community/servers/popular people will easily pay 35.

look how much morons are buying arma II for to play an alpha buggy game that will be released cheaper or free later this year.
  • BillaxBillax Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154886Members
    I think the price point is fine, but only assuming it runs well if you have their recommended specs. Remember you're basically buying all the mods and maps etc etc that will come with it too.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That is £22.30. That is a real cheap game for the amoount of hours that is going to be put into it. Simple.
  • Rapid_SausageRapid_Sausage Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154811Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963130:date=Aug 14 2012, 05:16 PM:name=StopSpazzing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StopSpazzing @ Aug 14 2012, 05:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963130"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then how about a refer a friend and get 5 bucks back?! Exactly what I said?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

nope
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962981:date=Aug 15 2012, 07:54 AM:name=CobraCommander)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CobraCommander @ Aug 15 2012, 07:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if I waited for a polished game with the Exosuit, I could of saved 5 dollars on the full game?
    ###### me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1

Maybe its the aussie in me (we get boned for game prices) but anything under 90 bucks is a good deal, considering online only at this point I reckon up to 50 bucks is fine.
    But hey us aussies pay almost double for MS office, photoshop etc...heck even steam games cost more if you set your location to australia....