Xenocide

Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
<div class="IPBDescription">rarely seen</div>to be honest, i only see this in games where the aliens are having trouble finishing off the last base of the marines. is it simply too expensive compared to vortex umbra and stomp? are people rarely using it when researched?

Comments

• ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I feel like I can do more damage by staying alive and risking some more bites off.
  • KalrellKalrell Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1962629:date=Aug 14 2012, 11:48 AM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Aug 14 2012, 11:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962629"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel like I can do more damage by staying alive and risking some more bites off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed.
    Currently doesn't feel like the old xeno at all.
    Most of the time I explode and no marines die at all, making me question: Why did i bother exploding again?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah for a last ditch effort and sacrificing yourself, it does surprisingly little...
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2012
    I feel the spawn time is just too long to justify it; In the game's previous incarnation you spawned much faster. Perhaps if dying to xenocide allowed you to shave off a few seconds of your respawn time I might resort to blowing myself up more.

edit: obviously I don't mean if you were a marine and died to xenocide. ;)
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    Decrease dmg. Passive ability on dead. Win.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    Imo, the issue here is the whole "No Personal Res while you're dead" paired with the sometimes lengthy spawn times on the alien side. Using xenocide ends up costing you resources by denial. Not to mention it simply doesn't kill people. (I'm not sure the damage values, but as a marine, I've died to Xenocide once, ever, and I was already incredibly low. Xeno has the tendency to put you at a low health value, but almost never finishes off marines, from my experience)
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A third hive ability should do more damage. It is end game when aliens have 3 hives. Why not make it effective (= killing marines in close vicinity) but with an easy counter.
    For example: health is going down while charging xeno. If you get killed before you explode you do no damage.
    This way marines have a chance to counter it, but it feels rewarding when you can make real damage.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962652:date=Aug 14 2012, 09:57 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Aug 14 2012, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imo, the issue here is the whole "No Personal Res while you're dead" paired with the sometimes lengthy spawn times on the alien side.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1

No pRes while dead is at odds with xeno.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    To tag on to _Necro_'s suggestion, perhaps the damage Xeno does should be a function of how much health you have as a skulk. Right now xeno does light damage which I think is why it doesn't do much damage versus marines (typically armor-3 marines by the time xeno comes around) and structures. Perhaps a portion of that damage could be armor-piercing based on how much armor the skulk has? So a carapace skulk would be much more effective when xenociding, but harder to get into position.

As a disadvantage, perhaps as you are in the process of xenociding your ability to leap is cancelled and you move much slower?
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1962668:date=Aug 14 2012, 02:40 PM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Aug 14 2012, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962668"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... perhaps the damage Xeno does should be a function of how much health you have as a skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is even better. An easy function like Xenocide does X points of damage for every health+armor point the skulk has.
    This way marines have a chance to counter it and skillful skulks can make massive damage.
    Also disabling of leap while charging the Xenocide is necessary, but please no slowdown. Skillful movement should be rewarded, not prohibited.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1962668:date=Aug 14 2012, 04:40 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Aug 14 2012, 04:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962668"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To tag on to _Necro_'s suggestion, perhaps the damage Xeno does should be a function of how much health you have as a skulk. Right now xeno does light damage which I think is why it doesn't do much damage versus marines (typically armor-3 marines by the time xeno comes around) and structures. Perhaps a portion of that damage could be armor-piercing based on how much armor the skulk has? So a carapace skulk would be much more effective when xenociding, but harder to get into position.

As a disadvantage, perhaps as you are in the process of xenociding your ability to leap is cancelled and you move much slower?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So, if u decide to use xenocide marines can shoot u easily dead or nearly down and u do no/littel damage? Nah.

I dislike the current design of this ability. U have to decide to atack normal with bite and do some dmg and die(or stay alive) or definitly die with xeno and do some dmg o_O. Sry, thats an useless lategame-abilty. It should work passiv and instant on every dead. That would be a real "upgrade". A reliable dmgincrease in lategame vs lvl 3 armor-rines and exos.
    <!--quoteo(post=1962678:date=Aug 14 2012, 03:11 PM:name=Mr.Greedy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.Greedy @ Aug 14 2012, 03:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962678"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, if u decide to use xenocide marines can shoot u easily dead or nearly down and u do no/littel damage? Nah.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is needed to have counters. You shouldn't be able to jump into marine faces and go BOOM without the marine can do anything against it.
    Use it with a little brain. Ambush them. Use it on a ceiling and just let you fall down on them.

Xeno is now so weak, because it is frustrating for marines. There is only a little time frame to counter it right now (= Killing the skulk before he goes off.) If it is easier to counter for good marines it can have more effect for good aliens. Sure, the slowdown is not needed, but no leap is a must. You shouldn't be able to just jump into their faces you should need to play with skill.

It's an easy to understand fact: If the marines get a fair chance to counter Xeno, it can have much more damage.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Sadly xenocide blows, only death that happens most of the time is the skulks.
    I have blown up right under a mrine jumping over me...he lived...I quietly raged to myself.

Seriously xeno is a joke, it should do a lot of damage, with certain death to any marine/s within 1.5 metre radius of the skulk.
    Currently your best bet of killing the marine is to have camo, silenc and a marine thats kinda not moving around a lot (lagged helps).
    <!--quoteo(post=1962688:date=Aug 14 2012, 05:28 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Aug 14 2012, 05:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is needed to have counters. You shouldn't be able to jump into marine faces and go BOOM without the marine can do anything against it.
    Use it with a little brain. Ambush them. Use it on a ceiling and just let you fall down on them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So u want downgrade xeno to a defense ability? That happens if u want to change xeno like that.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Xeno is now so weak, because it is frustrating for marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Xeno is useless o_O.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is only a little time frame to counter it right now (= Killing the skulk before he goes off.) If it is easier to counter for good marines it can have more effect for good aliens. Sure, the slowdown is not needed, but no leap is a must.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do u know that xeno drains your energy very fast? U are unable to leap 2 million times. And especially in lategame there are enough counters (jp,all lvl 3 wpns, exo nexttime) to avoid xeno or never let it happend.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You shouldn't be able to just jump into their faces you should need to play with skill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah, understood. Skill is only needed on alien-side.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's an easy to understand fact: If the marines get a fair chance to counter Xeno, it can have much more damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And I say change xeno to a damage-increasing ability how I described in my last post. Also a fair counter vs marineupgrades.
  • FateofmanFateofman Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154928Members
    What are the actual damage stats and damage type of xeno?

Maybe instead of doing up front damage it could do some bile-bombesque damage?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Can't say I got a lot of kills in NS1 with xenocide either, usually only if the marine spawn was thoroughly spored beforehand, or if I used the good ol' leap&focus bite.
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962722:date=Aug 14 2012, 09:43 AM:name=Fateofman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fateofman @ Aug 14 2012, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962722"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What are the actual damage stats and damage type of xeno?

Maybe instead of doing up front damage it could do some bile-bombesque damage?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Xenocide does light damage... which is crazy in my opinion if you are going to classify this "ultimate" skill on the same page as mines..

I hope when Exosuits make it in, a bunch of skills will be realigned to something similar to NS1.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Xeno is back? when did this happen. I havent even seen it used yet.
    <!--quoteo(post=1962717:date=Aug 14 2012, 04:38 PM:name=Mr.Greedy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.Greedy @ Aug 14 2012, 04:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962717"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So u want downgrade xeno to a defense ability? That happens if u want to change xeno like that.

Xeno is useless o_O.

Do u know that xeno drains your energy very fast? U are unable to leap 2 million times. And especially in lategame there are enough counters (jp,all lvl 3 wpns, exo nexttime) to avoid xeno or never let it happend.

Ah, understood. Skill is only needed on alien-side.

And I say change xeno to a damage-increasing ability how I described in my last post. Also a fair counter vs marineupgrades.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seems like you don't want to understand what I'm saying. I'm sorry for this but won't try it again.
  • FateofmanFateofman Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154928Members
    edited August 2012
    Ok, well according to <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Skulk" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Skulk</a> it does 200 light damage, which means it does what... 50 armor damage? so in late game when xeno is available, it not going to take out an 'Armor 3' upgrade, it barely takes out an 'Armor 1'...which is...sad to say the least...

2 bites does more damage...
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962737:date=Aug 15 2012, 01:03 AM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Aug 15 2012, 01:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Xeno is back? when did this happen. I havent even seen it used yet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I can't remember and I can't find a place to read back through patch notes to find out, which is really frustrating. I'm pretty sure it was reintroudced after build 209, when the alien ability unlocks were tied to the number of hives. At 2 hives the kham can research leap. At 3 hives, the kham can research xeno. It often doesn't get researched because it's one of the lowest priority 3-hive unlocks, and once the aliens have had 3 hives for a long time the game is ususally over...
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962737:date=Aug 14 2012, 10:03 AM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Aug 14 2012, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Xeno is back? when did this happen. I havent even seen it used yet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because it's completely useless and throws you into the alien spawn wave of oblivion.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well they are some good reasons I probebly havent seen it. Oh well, seems like I am always last to hear about these things.
  • [TGL]Thunderhorse[TGL]Thunderhorse Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148134Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Team up with a lerk or something, have him gas then leap in and go boom and you will have a high chance of killing them. Think the whole idea behind xenocide is to combo it with other classes.
  • OprahOprah Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155615Members
    The biggest problem i have with Xeno is you can't bite people after you use it. In NS1 you could xeno, leap, bite someone once or twice and then finish them off with xeno. Also I'm not sure if Xeno does any damage to structures, if it does it does very little. It's really useless in this regard. At least if it did some damage you could hop into an unoccupied base, chew down on something and then blow yourself up when the marines show and repeat. Also with the spawn times it's a little useless and considering how by the time you get it the Marines have 90 armor.. The only way I can see it being used properly is if you rush it and then get 2 or 3 skulks to blow up together. But even then you better get down at least 2 or 3 marines otherwise they'll take your RT for it.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962838:date=Aug 15 2012, 03:57 AM:name=[TGL]Thunderhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([TGL]Thunderhorse @ Aug 15 2012, 03:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962838"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Team up with a lerk or something, have him gas then leap in and go boom and you will have a high chance of killing them. Think the whole idea behind xenocide is to combo it with other classes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This line is getting brought up for every discussion with aliens..."Just play smarter/use more teamwork".
    Sorry but as a suicide bomber (xenocide skulk) I dont really want to bring an entourage with me, xeno is about running headlong into a group of marines and blowing yourself up...it is meant to be a way for you to do more damage than had you stayed alive and tried to bite.
    This as others have said, is where xeno fails.

Beef it up to the point marines fear hearing the xeno whine as the skulk charges them...now they just laugh knowing the skulks about to explode doing almost no damage to them.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962760:date=Aug 14 2012, 11:33 AM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Aug 14 2012, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well they are some good reasons I probebly havent seen it. Oh well, seems like I am always last to hear about these things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alien Commanders don't research it. It's been in the game for a good 8 patches now I think. We don't research it for the same reasons said in this thread: puts you in the awful wave spawn system, penalizes you with no resources while dead, eats up eggs when you spawn, does pitiful damage, takes you out of the game for when you could have been doing something else more useful (chop rts), it's a noob bate ability, and I could go on.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    edited August 2012
    40 tres, hard to use, no pres while dead, long respawn, and hardly any damage when you consider marines will have level 3 armour at this point.

Not worth it.

I'm not sure if xeno needs to be reworked, or just tossed out the airlock. Maybe skulks need a different endgame ability (or is that heresy?).
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962733:date=Aug 14 2012, 07:57 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Aug 14 2012, 07:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962733"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can't say I got a lot of kills in NS1 with xenocide either, usually only if the marine spawn was thoroughly spored beforehand, or if I used the good ol' leap&focus bite.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would get a surprising amount of kills sometimes. Usually because of previous damage or a free bite I get in before going kersplode.

The point of Xeno in NS1 was so you didn't have to live to do damage/get kills. Respawn was relatively cheap. If you got lucky and got kills you got res. And it was way better than giving the enemy team res by getting killed, and you could do more assured damage than hoping you survived the HMG/SHOTGUn/HA bulletstorm. Silent Xeno+Leap done right gave the Marines no chance to respond, meaning free AoE damage.

As for NS2, no Pres on death, long spawn times, and generally lackluster feel hurts it. You don't get as many spectacular OMG I JUST KILLED 3 MARINES WITH XENO.

Giving it a slight damage or AoE buff might help make it more viable. Also, it has to be paired with something to quickly get in, and there has to be enough incentive that you'll die too quickly. With carapace, Skulks can actually survive to get a few bites off, and you don't deny RFK to the enemy team. All of these in effect make Xeno not a viable choice.
  • BillaxBillax Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154886Members
    I think something that needs to be stressed is that you have to have 3 hives to research xeno, and spend a lot of res on it. I really think super late game abilities like this should have a huge impact. It's laughable that you would consider using an ability (bite), that you get for free at the very beginning of the game over a 3 hive tech ability. Getting 3 hives is not easy to do, you should be rewarded with awesome abilities that tip the game in your favor. This seems to be going along with their philosophy that every ability should have exactly the same power but just be different and have tradeoffs, a philosophy I really like less and less as more games do it (looking at you D3). It really kills the potential fun in a lot of games, because balance is being put over fun. IMO it's not just xeno either, things like onos just seem really boring to play, even if they are totally balanced, they're just not fun, again my opinion.