Personal Waypoints

Rapid_SausageRapid_Sausage Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154811Members
Almost every game, i have to hold my C button to know where i'm going, not everyone is a veteran who knows the maps and their corridors.

Having to hold the C button obstructs visibility, and leaves you vulnerable to damage without you even noticing the marine/alien infront of you because you had a map covering your whole screen.

so, my suggestions is to bring the waypoint function that only the commander has to all other players, BUT only works for the player who requested it.

to give an ingame example, say you just spawned and want to go to somewhere on the other side of the map, so you hold C, press space to bring up the cursor, click where you want to go, and depending on your faction (alien or marine), the client will draw you a waypoint on the ground just as if the commander did it, except only you can see this one.

For marines it would show the optimal way to reach your destination based on whether you have a jetpack or not, and for aliens it will draw the best route taking ventillation shafts into consideration, and your ability to fly.

This might not make a huge difference for veterans, but for people who haven't yet memorized the maps, it's godsend.

Comments

• botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    That's an interesting idea, could be pretty helpful. On a side note - I'd suggest remapping the map key to a mouse button (I use button 5), lets you check whats up quickly while stilling moving or actually sit and look at it. The mini-map is crazy powerful as a tool for information, I use it all the time.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited August 2012
    great idea! a GPS for players basically :)

While we are at it phase gate should show their connection network on the minimap too.

I know this is waaay off(i will keep dreaming) - but what if the game could pick up words that the commander says:

e.g. Commander talks into mic and says "hey Ventilation is under attack"
    The game would understand the word "ventilation" and it would highlight the ventilation area on the minimap. Then if you double tap C (minimap button) it would automatically draw a way point to ventilation for you.

or you could just ignore it if you aren't planning on going there. but at least you would know that something is happening and roughly how far away you were etc.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1959802:date=Aug 9 2012, 10:57 AM:name=Rapid_Sausage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rapid_Sausage @ Aug 9 2012, 10:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->to give an ingame example, say you just spawned and want to go to somewhere on the other side of the map, so you hold C, press space to bring up the cursor, click where you want to go, and depending on your faction (alien or marine), the client will draw you a waypoint on the ground just as if the commander did it, except only you can see this one.

For marines it would show the optimal way to reach your destination based on whether you have a jetpack or not, and for aliens it will draw the best route taking ventillation shafts into consideration, and your ability to fly.

This might not make a huge difference for veterans, but for people who haven't yet memorized the maps, it's godsend.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought there already was a pathfinding set of blue arrows to a given waypoint along the ground. Thye're not very noticable sometimes, but they're there last time I checked. Perhaps we need to make them more obvious, a la UT3.

What would be super duper cool would be a traced path on the map too.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1960003:date=Aug 9 2012, 07:57 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Aug 9 2012, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960003"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What would be super duper cool would be a traced path on the map too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe that's what they're suggesting.
  • Rapid_SausageRapid_Sausage Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154811Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960003:date=Aug 9 2012, 04:57 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Aug 9 2012, 04:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960003"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought there already was a pathfinding set of blue arrows to a given waypoint along the ground.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is, but only the commander can set waypoints.

<!--quoteo(post=1960003:date=Aug 9 2012, 04:57 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Aug 9 2012, 04:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960003"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What would be super duper cool would be a traced path on the map too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1960004:date=Aug 9 2012, 04:59 PM:name=botchiball)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (botchiball @ Aug 9 2012, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe that's what they're suggesting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    no that's not what i was suggesting (but would be pretty useful to have it though).
    what i'm saying is, players in first person can open up their map, and set a destination that will trigger those grounded blue arrows to this destination without having to have the map open at all, and only the person who set it can see the arrows.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would have to be another color than blue for marines as it might get confusing to have 2 waypoints telling you where to go (if the comm gives you one as well)
    <!--quoteo(post=1960748:date=Aug 10 2012, 03:18 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Aug 10 2012, 03:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would have to be another color than blue for marines as it might get confusing to have 2 waypoints telling you where to go (if the comm gives you one as well)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

good point.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960018:date=Aug 9 2012, 05:09 PM:name=Rapid_Sausage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rapid_Sausage @ Aug 9 2012, 05:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what i'm saying is, players in first person can open up their map, and set a destination that will trigger those grounded blue arrows to this destination without having to have the map open at all, and only the person who set it can see the arrows.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ooooooooh. That makes way more sense.
    I like both ideas. +1.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    Breadcrumb trails would be great for starting players, since later we'll be more familiar with the maps and won't need to go through the trouble making waypoints :D
  • afx333afx333 Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155203Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    I really like this idea. Much better than showing the hive-locations like in the current build. Let the player think where he wants to go (if the comm doesn't) and help him get there by waypoints.
  • KalrellKalrell Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oo very good idea.

They have this in the beta of a game that I'm not meant to talk about due to NDA's and its very useful with the scale of maps in that game.

Would be equally useful in NS2 to be able to pick a point and have the normal way point arrows on the ground guide you to it.

Specially for new players, since all the team chat is Ventilation this and Generator that.
    Would be useful for new players to be able to click on Ventilation or Generator and navigate themselves there rather than being extremely lost and confused as to where these places are in relation to themselves.
    the more i play each day the more i feel the need for this feature.

MAKE IT HAPPEN UW