sorry to say,but... waaaait for it!

2»

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1961816:date=Aug 13 2012, 05:53 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 13 2012, 05:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i'm sorry but that's completely disrespectful to your fanbase, many of whom STILL have issues with the performance of this game. Did you whip out your UWE blinders for this one?

You cannot on the one hand say that the devs are aware of the performance issues and that they're nowhere near what they need to be, then on the other hand praise the great performance of the game.

Even with the recent performance gains, I would qualify my experience with the engine as on the low end of "acceptable" - this is a night and day increase from the low point of ns2 optimization, but please do us all a favor and don't ###### over a portion of your fanbase.

It is important to remain positive about the outlooks of the game, WITHOUT denigrating those of us who have been here from the beginning, those of us who helped make this entire game possible. Please consider this as a PR representative for the company.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In simple terms:

- We are not happy with performance
    - Every programmer works on performance every day. (In fact, Max is in the office this Sunday with me working on performance right now).
    - It is the case that sometimes people have a great experience on lesser hardware. I was an example of this, on NS2HD. OP is another. His opinion is just as valid as yours. Sensitive devs like Cory and I will rightly leap to the defence of those who wish to express their positive opinion, only to be hounded by endless negativity.

You just put me up as a massive straw man. Evidently I don't have the confidence of those who 'made this entire game possible.' Please excuse me, I will leave the thread and get back to being an inadequate fanboy. You can then proceed to tear up my PR efforts without my niggling interruptions.
  • Locke504Locke504 Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71511Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Stenben, we're all thrilled you're enjoying the game. Obviously, most of us are pretty passionate where this game is concerned.

If this passion looks like it's taking the form of whining or constant complaining, it's because the game does still in fact have serious performance issues and it is much MUCH better to work those out in the beta, than try to release a game that a significant number of people will find unacceptable.

I think it's safe to say everyone who bought into the early beta, and certainly the developers, want this game to succeed. I've personally been waiting for ns2 since they first announced doing it on source, and I'm more than willing to wait a little longer for them to get it right if that means the games future success.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1961824:date=Aug 12 2012, 04:06 PM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Aug 12 2012, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You just put me up as a massive straw man. Evidently I don't have the confidence of those who 'made this entire game possible.' Please excuse me, I will leave the thread and get back to being an inadequate fanboy. You can then proceed to tear up my PR efforts without my niggling interruptions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

mainly i was referring to your 'usual pessimistic 1000+ post people' comment. that was totally uncalled for. i'm sure you and the rest of the dev team are tired of constantly hearing the complaints about performance issues, but just do yourself a favor and don't say things like that. it breeds resentment. take it out on a punching bag or something, just not on the forums.
  • weywey Cineastè Join Date: 2003-06-01 Member: 16910Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1961822:date=Aug 12 2012, 10:05 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 12 2012, 10:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wasn't saying his 20 FPS is great performance, I was merely saying that if he is enjoying the game, then there's no need for everyone to convince him otherwise, due to their general unhappyness. We understand that the game is not performing as well as should be expected for a large majority of the players, and are working diligently, days, nights and weekends to improve it. Nuff said.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    With "fanboy", I meant stenben. I was also quoting him and not Squeal_Like_A_Pig: "the playability and performance of the game at this stage (build 216) is great.. hands down!".
    That being said, it just feels really wrong when the devs endorse the small part of the community that praise them and mostly ignore the rest.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2012
    Where was all this "ignoring" ??
    Cory responded to that massive criticism thread.
    The devs read the forums constantly?
    I dont get where.....?

If the great feedback (and it almost always is) is delivered in a great way, you might see more "endorsement" .. but some are so frustrated and beyond that point that they don't realize the environment they help create. Its a viscous cycle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    <!--quoteo(post=1961841:date=Aug 12 2012, 03:24 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Aug 12 2012, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961841"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where was all this "ignoring" ??
    Cory responded to that massive criticism thread.
    The devs read the forums constantly?
    I dont get where.....?

If the great feedback (and it almost always is) is delivered in a great way, you might see more "endorsement" .. but some are so frustrated and beyond that point that they don't realize the environment they help create. Its a viscous cycle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If not every single post gets quoted and answered directly people always think no one read it.

What should the devs say to post 121343214532562 stating: "Performance still sucks!".
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1961834:date=Aug 12 2012, 08:14 PM:name=wey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wey @ Aug 12 2012, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961834"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That being said, it just feels really wrong when the devs endorse the small part of the community that praise them and mostly ignore the rest.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hi Wey. You are special. You matter to us. :P

--Cory
  • FunkyFungusFunkyFungus Join Date: 2003-09-09 Member: 20691Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1961627:date=Aug 12 2012, 01:13 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 12 2012, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.... I like 217 more with the magic Max and Dushan stuff...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    whip in some magic physX :D !!

ot: all so getting fps between 65-15 fps but i don't measure fun in fps ;)

and enjoying the game at any frame rate.

keep making YOUR game uwe ;)
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1961946:date=Aug 13 2012, 01:52 AM:name=FunkyFungus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FunkyFungus @ Aug 13 2012, 01:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ot: all so getting fps between 65-15 fps but i don't measure fun in fps ;)
    and enjoying the game at any frame rate.

keep making YOUR game uwe ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is very true. I play game for fun, not because they might have an fps over 9000. NS2 is fun, the other games aren't :)
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    *very rude post about how stupid I find some people that only try to voice their disrespect to uwe and think their opinion on what is fun is the only valid.*

*Another paragraph stating that this kids really going on my nerves and I wish they would just shut up.*

I need to be nicer...
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Some general ideas that might improve the discussion:

- Stop referring to performance in vague qualitative terms ("great", "fine", "horrible"), this lead to meaningless debate about what "fine" means. Just give some more quantitative assessment with possibly some subjective qualification : "I get 20 fps in combat and that's fine for me", "I get 30 fps in combat and it gives me horrible headache".

- Stop referring to simplistic imaginary groups of people ("the fanboys", "the pessimistics", "the competitive players").
  • lazylazy Join Date: 2005-07-23 Member: 56631Members
    20-30 fps is bad. Try harder.