Infest Marine: Tier 3 ability for skulk

VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
Forget Xenocide. This would be much more fun.

Similar to Xenocide in that the skulk would need to time his sacrifice just right to infest a marine. Once sacrificed the skulk would gain the first person view of the marine he infested. If the marine doesn't reach an armory in the given time frame the skulk will get control of the marine for a limited time until it is either killed by another marine or a timer runs out killing the marine and handing control back over.

An indicator could be made letting the marine know he has been infested and needs to heal at an armory.

What do ya'll think? Could be fun?

Comments

• uspowersquadronuspowersquadron Join Date: 2012-08-11 Member: 155450Members
    i think the idea of forcing marines to, (and i think there is no better words for it) "Spy Check" their comrades would really destroy the marine experience. it works in tf2 cause everyone has so much ammo, and all the guns are big aoe or miniguns, ect, but not in this game, imo.

if you want to shoot marines as marines, wait for the marine vs marine mod thats supposedly already in the works.
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    edited August 2012
    Yeah this idea wouldn't require a spycheck it would be pretty obvious who is infested. There would be no way a skulk could spy on the rines.
  • uspowersquadronuspowersquadron Join Date: 2012-08-11 Member: 155450Members
    o i c. well personally i still dont like it because aliens 1 weakness should be ranged weapons, and imagine a GL JP vs human base. idk that just seems op as hell but to be honest i play as marine and i think any way you did that it would break the balance.

or did u mean like starcraft where he doenst shoot or anything he just suicide bombs or something? cause i would hate that even more

but i do like the idea of the aliens having abilities that not only pester the marines, but screw with their heads too. (second guessing how far they are from armories ect)

a cool twist on this idea would be planting an egg in the marine so that he would spawn an alien in like 25 sec if untreated, killing the marine. "Alien" style.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1961412:date=Aug 11 2012, 04:49 PM:name=uspowersquadron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (uspowersquadron @ Aug 11 2012, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->a cool twist on this idea would be planting an egg in the marine so that he would spawn an alien in like 25 sec if untreated, killing the marine. "Alien" style.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a cool idea too. Balancing is definitely something i was thinking about for infest marine. The limited timer for the skulk to operate would not be so long that he could hurt the marines map control or take out a base, just a little twist on the forementioned xenocide. It should be long enough for the skulk to take out 1 or 2 marines if it doesn't get immeditaely taken out.

As far as preventing getting infested in the first place, setting the skulk on fire could disable the ability as well as making the ability require being directly next to the marine.

It could even be worked to where the marine needs to be parasited first before the skulk could infest him
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd rather make it so that they start getting interference with their vision, start moving slower or something of that sort.
  • Chuck_NorrisChuck_Norris Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149779Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->a cool twist on this idea would be planting an egg in the marine so that he would spawn an alien in like 25 sec if untreated, killing the marine. "Alien" style.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>Not sure</b> if it should be a player spawning or maybe a babbler attacking anything he can get.

You probably dont want to spawn in marine base just to get killed after 10sec
  • Angry Hillbilly 2Angry Hillbilly 2 Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149741Members
    Why do i get hilarous memoris of Neo jumping inside smith from the matrix :P
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    edited August 2012
    Would be nice when a skulk parasites a marine and then kills him within 30 sec that he gets the option to take over the marine body (after having that tier 3 ability researched).

I've suggested infested marines before as well, would be a nice feature, but I'm afraid it might be a bit too late in development.
    <!--quoteo(post=1961565:date=Aug 12 2012, 12:44 AM:name=Angry Hillbilly 2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angry Hillbilly 2 @ Aug 12 2012, 12:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961565"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do i get hilarous memoris of Neo jumping inside smith from the matrix :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's exactly what i thought of when i was coming up with the idea.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Could be a research to make parasite a t3 upgrade, so when a parasited marine dies it spawns a babbler or 2 (wish i knew exactly what they were/did, never got to see them in the game before they got the axe)
  • Chuck_NorrisChuck_Norris Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149779Members
    For all those not knowing what babblers are:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZzbQR_5_a4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZzbQR_5_a4</a>