216 is UP! Downloading now

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1960067:date=Aug 9 2012, 05:41 PM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Aug 9 2012, 05:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They really need to stop so much focus on the 'new' players. Let there be a bit of a learning curve and a bit of difficulty to the game, hell maybe then they'll gain some common sense and some type of brain function.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Except that NS1/NS2 in previous builds had little to no indication of even the basic objectives. Pretty much every FPS or RTS tells you the minimal amount of info needed to play the game.

Granted, I'd still want an 'off' switch for us experienced players who don't need the hints/reminding.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1960077:date=Aug 10 2012, 12:47 AM:name=spaceturtle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spaceturtle @ Aug 10 2012, 12:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The "progress bar" is horrible, that is for sure. It looks so jarring, immersion breaking, and to top it off is completely redundant since the welder has a % indicator AND there is a progress circle around the object. The old way was intuitive and clean, the new one feels like I am being slapped in the face with unnecessary information that I already have access to. I suspect this feature won't last, because it makes the game look amateur.

That said, I really am digging the patch outside of that minor issue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok, here is a mockup showing the direction the progress bar panel is going to go. This isn't just for welding/building, it is also for when you look at structures instead of the current displayed text that shows up above the crosshairs, and where you will see the the hive/command station health when under attack.

[attachment=36112:ProgressBarPanel.jpg]

Over the next few patches we are going to be adding/removing/polishing many of the UI elements in the game, to make them more informative, more visually cohesive, and less cluttered and redundant.

--Cory
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Removed Hive Sight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

??? Can we get elaboration on this? What does Parasite do now, just mark them on the full map?
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Aliens no longer lose an upgrade which they already have evolved once the upgrade structure is destroyed."
    how is that an improvement?

also, progress bars are fine, but would be nice if they moved to the welder/builder tool screen when welding/building.

"Armories heal armor. Armories now take "energy" to heal (1 energy = 1 heal = 1 second). Armories can have a max of 10 energy. So if an Armory isn't drained too much, it will heal everything full speed, but if a lot of marines start leeching, it will slow down. Armories start with 0 energy (so will be full after 10 seconds)."
    mistake. the great thing about armories not healing armor is that it creates teamwork. please revert this to 215 (you can keep the charge-up armories, just remove armor healing).

"Fixed bug where research at buildings was not canceled when the structure became unpowered."
    please don't, just freeze the research progress.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    Syknik I totally agree with you. Thanks for your thoughts. :)

Can't remember when I last time raged, but this is the time for me to rage like a cry baby. But still, I do it for the love for this game. For me being an old veteran.

I'm afraid, that the uwe won't listen to us :/ Now when seeing the hive/command station the entire game. There won't be no more mistery, no more exploration. You'll always know. Not even a sneak base establishment :( I have no fun if I see the hives and CCs all the time. This tiny change, changes the entire ns2 gameplay.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The game runs soooo much smoother now. Really good job here!

Aliens probably need a buff because of that.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Really unhappy about this patch so far.

<!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Performance has gone up for me. Not sure about hit reg yet, seemed off compared to last build but haven't play enough.

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Too much redundant information on the screen. Please stop dumbing down the game. People will learn and can always ask questions. It doesn't take that long to get the hang of this game.
    Armories healing armor....
    Alien energy got nerfed big time especially for gorge, skulk, and lerk.
    Why are alien upgrades so easy to kill in comparison to marine buildings. I am so sick of marines just running in our hives and going straight for the upgrades, and they can usually alwasy take them out before anyone can get back to it because alien don't have PGs like marines do.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1960099:date=Aug 9 2012, 06:08 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 9 2012, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, here is a mockup showing the direction the progress bar panel is going to go. This isn't just for welding/building, it is also for when you look at structures instead of the current displayed text that shows up above the crosshairs, and where you will see the the hive/command station health when under attack.

[attachment=36112:ProgressBarPanel.jpg]

Over the next few patches we are going to be adding/removing/polishing many of the UI elements in the game, to make them more informative, more visually cohesive, and less cluttered and redundant.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that new bar takes like 400% more screen real-estate to relay the exact same information the small text does currently :(
  • Gravity GraveGravity Grave California Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148556Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I honestly can't believe the red hive/CC indicator is here to stay. Not only does it detract from the role of the commander, it outright competes against it. New players will be like moths to the flame instead of paying attention to what the comm says. You guys can't be so inflexible about this... at the most it should show up permanently on the mini-map, not on the main screen.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I actully like the old bars and think they work perfectly
  • LXJLXJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155188Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960126:date=Aug 9 2012, 05:28 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Aug 9 2012, 05:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960126"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that new bar takes like 400% more screen real-estate to relay the exact same information the small text does currently :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was much better in the old patch. Having the 'percentage' on the structure was much cooler.
    The progress bar is a big no, no and as I've already said is going backwards.

I really don't see how this is any better.
  • Commie SpyCommie Spy Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68008Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959980:date=Aug 10 2012, 12:26 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 10 2012, 12:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe it will be added as an option to turn off later.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dear god please. Ugh...

[edit]

also make that hp bar optional too >:|
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1960074:date=Aug 9 2012, 07:46 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Aug 9 2012, 07:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Call of Selection 2

In the name of accessibility.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. Natural Shiny 2
  • FenFen Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72843Members
    edited August 2012
    Just a few random things

-hive/cc showing...meh,i can live with it,even if i don't really see the point (but i have to agree with people saying that will most likely act as a huge magnet to new players =>leading them straight to death instead of helping them)

-progress bar:seems really pointless while building stuff as a marine (% display right on the construction tool),and at the same time i already have an hard time finding skulks sprinting in the middle of a base buildings without more space taken by ui stuff

-shooting feels way better now.And i mean way way way better,at least for me

-i dropped 5-10fps lower.And since i barely managed to stay in the 20-30fps range with the last few builds (pre-historical cpu ftw -.-)...Ouch :P
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1960067:date=Aug 10 2012, 01:41 AM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Aug 10 2012, 01:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They really need to stop so much focus on the 'new' players. Let there be a bit of a learning curve and a bit of difficulty to the game, hell maybe then they'll gain some common sense and some type of brain function.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1960126:date=Aug 10 2012, 11:28 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Aug 10 2012, 11:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960126"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that new bar takes like 400% more screen real-estate to relay the exact same information the small text does currently :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree, the separate build and health percentage text also looked quite nice and elegant.
  • TwigsTwigs Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155195Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960067:date=Aug 10 2012, 02:41 AM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Aug 10 2012, 02:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They really need to stop so much focus on the 'new' players. Let there be a bit of a learning curve and a bit of difficulty to the game, hell maybe then they'll gain some common sense and some type of brain function.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This so much. The thing is the new red " GO HERE NEW PLAYER " is such an enormous step back, it doesn't encourage them to talk anymore using the voip or the chat which they should be using.
    What I've found is that most new players have little to no issue learning the game as it was prior to 216, you just had to talk to them and guide em through it which is how it should be. Sure having the cc/hive glow red like a neonsign is great and all but it does , as a lot of people has pointed out, ###### all over the gameplay as it takes away the exploration factor but first and foremost takes away a very important factor: Communication. You should have your commander/marines/aliens TALK either via voip or chat and tell the team where said cc/hive is and make it more about teamwork instead of being the first one to rush the other team to have the red shiny there to guide you.

On a side note I do like the changes made to the fade as that was more than welcome, though the armory buff was kinda weaksauce as it aswell takes away the need for teamwork-welding.

I love NS2 and played ns 1 like a madcat, this build though threw me off, I see that you need to cater to new players but please let them do some digging themselves, let there be a learning curv and not have it be like COD where its just shoot at the shinys. Might aswell also point out that I do love the new way upgrades for aliens are handled but that it infact is restricting gameplay in a really bad way, as it makes pretty much all the routes just narrow into one, Carapace, adrenaline/celerity, cloak/feign death which kinda defeats the point of having all those upgrades to chose from to start with which in terms makes all the programming you guys did rendered obsolete.

These were my two cents atleast, thanks for a great game and I do really hope you can listen to the player base on this one and not make it Call of Selection 2 or Natural shiny.

Twigs
  • KalrellKalrell Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now when seeing the hive/command station the entire game. There won't be no more mistery, no more exploration. You'll always know. Not even a sneak base establishment :( I have no fun if I see the hives and CCs all the time. This tiny change, changes the entire ns2 gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Everyone is complaining about the red cc/hive icons taking discovery out of the game.

Let me put this in bold underlined text.

<b><u>The Icons do not appear until someone on your team has seen the cc/hive.</u></b>

As an aside, currently the icons seem to remain even if the offending cc/hive is destroyed later in the game. So unless you run upto it still, you can't be sure it exists or your team already dealt with it.
  • ThursdayThursday Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155202Members
    I am fine with most o this stuff as long is it is able to be turned off in options. I really liked the way the UI was in the last build, all these bars don't feel like they belong in NS2.

Also, armories do not need to heal armor. It was better the way it was.

Performance seems to be much better for me.

I am not sure how I feel about the new way alien upgrades work. It needs more time, but kinda feel like the old system might have been better.

PLEASE do not overly simplify the game. Just add tutorials for new players if your worried about them learning the game, that would be the best option. But trial by fire works fine as well.
  • PatoPato Join Date: 2010-01-19 Member: 70225Members
    Adding my voice against armories healing armor. A step in the wrong direction.
  • prevertbreasthoundprevertbreasthound Join Date: 2003-10-28 Member: 22089Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    One thing I would like to see as a minor improvement to the awesomeness that is the insight mod would be small simple tooltips when mousing over the icons just to help new players. (e.g. mouse over carapace icon and it says carapace). I suppose having the tooltip say what the upgrade does would be nice too, but if that was included it should probably be something that can be disabled via the options menu. Also it would be cool if you could jump to a specific player by clicking their portrait.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1960067:date=Aug 9 2012, 08:41 PM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Aug 9 2012, 08:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They really need to stop so much focus on the 'new' players. Let there be a bit of a learning curve and a bit of difficulty to the game, hell maybe then they'll gain some common sense and some type of brain function.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Amen to that.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1960067:date=Aug 9 2012, 07:41 PM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Aug 9 2012, 07:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They really need to stop so much focus on the 'new' players. Let there be a bit of a learning curve and a bit of difficulty to the game, hell maybe then they'll gain some common sense and some type of brain function.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What make NS difficult to learn is what makes NS fun. If I wanted a shooter that didn't require thinking I'd play CoD.

And I really do not like the command chair status bar, this makes it impossible for a skulk to sneak into a base and destroy the CC while the marines are not paying attention. If the whole marine team doesn't notice their CC going down then they deserve to lose.
  • Chuck_NorrisChuck_Norris Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149779Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960338:date=Aug 10 2012, 01:58 AM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Aug 10 2012, 01:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960338"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What make NS difficult to learn is what makes NS fun. If I wanted a shooter that didn't require thinking I'd play CoD.

And I really do not like the command chair status bar, this makes it impossible for a skulk to sneak into a base and destroy the CC while the marines are not paying attention. If the whole marine team doesn't notice their CC going down then they deserve to lose.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 , nothing to add
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Glowing red hives and cc icon's are here to stay, sorry. They will probably be decreased a bit in size and maybe made a little less intense, but they are necessary for players to know where to go, and what the objective is. Every FPS game has something like this. Maybe it will be added as an option to turn off later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In a strategy game it's not up to the game to decide what the current objective is. The game just need to explain the win conditions, and then it's up to the player to decide what path he wants to take to achieve these conditions. Besides, isn't the commander supposed to tell the players where to go and what the current objective is ?

Would a good chess game tell you where to move your pieces, or let you decide for yourself ?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Every FPS game has something like this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I though you guys were doing a RTS-FPS mix? In addition, that's an argumentum ad populum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_the_majority).
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1960363:date=Aug 10 2012, 05:01 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Aug 10 2012, 05:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In a strategy game it's not up to the game to decide what the current objective is. The game just need to explain the win conditions, and then it's up to the player to decide what path he wants to take to achieve these conditions. Besides, isn't the commander is supposed to tell the players where to go and what the current objective is ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
  • TwigsTwigs Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155195Members
    Just played a game to test cloacking and apparently even if you cloak the hive it still shows up bright red for the entire marine team to see. I just dont get how this could actually be put in to stay, it just takes away a big chunk of the commander and the rest of the teams job to communicate with eachother.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    I thought hive sight was great, amazing if they made it like the outlined players/objectives in Left 4 Dead.

With this red highlight thing I think UWE needs to explore how some relatively complex objective games like L4D display information to their players while being both noob friendly and not intrusive to those who know what they are doing.
  • FateofmanFateofman Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154928Members
    Well using my first post to weigh in,

The hitreg seems so much more tighter, which is great!, but that in combination with some of the alien nerfs means I've yet to see aliens win,

Problem i see is aliens now need a gorge to heal it's units, but no-one wants to be gorge because it's not worth playing.

That might just be my opinion but whatever,

Armories repairing armor could be kept in if they lowered the amount of armor repaired or made it take more charge maybe? keeping marines out of the fight longer seems a good trade-off for teamwork.

The giant glaring icon i would prefer (if it needs to stay) go on the map rather than the HUD, offers more relevant data while not cluttering screen?

well that's my lot anyway...time to keep trying to win as aliens in the meantime
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960115:date=Aug 10 2012, 03:22 AM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Aug 10 2012, 03:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game runs soooo much smoother now. Really good job here!

Aliens probably need a buff because of that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice trolling....

Performance seem down to me atleast and its really frustrating when the release is so close.

And the red icons for hives and command stations, just remove them they are really annoying. Like yuuki sed its up to the commander to give waypoints.
    The build bar that stays in the middle of the screen has to be moved or deleted from the game its terrible to have things in the middle of your screen like that.