Comments

• CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    haha that was quick
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    new main menu item

TRAINING! woooo
  • YashokiYashoki Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59256Members
    Waiting for patchnotes!
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    Couple of initial thoughts after playing for ten minutes:

Parasite effect is incredibly ugly. I really don't understand how anyone could think that was a good idea? I assumed the nano-shield and catalyze effects were temporary (they're also hilariously ugly) but this makes it seem like they're all intentional.

Blur effect on the minimap is both annoying and pointless. If you want to add things like this, they need to be "depth of field" effects, that you can turn off in the options menu.

Hives are visible through the walls for all marines when they've been spotted. What the?

I really liked the improvements in the last couple of patches, but so far this is looking like a very sour lemon.

Edit: Only one upgrade per chamber, so no cara and regen at the same time. At least that's one good change.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Think its time i went on steam then
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1959944:date=Aug 9 2012, 03:54 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Aug 9 2012, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Couple of initial thoughts after playing for ten minutes:

Parasite effect is incredibly ugly. I really don't understand how anyone could think that was a good idea? I assumed the nano-shield and catalyze effects were temporary (they're also hilariously ugly) but this makes it seem like they're all intentional.

Blur effect on the minimap is both annoying and pointless. If you want to add things like this, they need to be "depth of field" effects, that you can turn off in the options menu.

Hives are visible through the walls for all marines when they've been spotted. What the?

I really liked the improvements in the last couple of patches, but so far this is looking like a very sour lemon.

Edit: Only one upgrade per chamber, so no cara and regen at the same time. At least that's one good change.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree on all these points....especially with the new parasite look.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1959944:date=Aug 10 2012, 12:54 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Aug 10 2012, 12:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Couple of initial thoughts after playing for ten minutes:

Edit: Only one upgrade per chamber, so no cara and regen at the same time. At least that's one good change.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Parasite effect is placeholder (looks like someone exploded a glowstick in your face xD)

Hives visible - don't like that one myself how it is currently, but the implementation will probably change a bit.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Any performance-improvements to report?
    <!--quoteo(post=1959952:date=Aug 9 2012, 04:07 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Aug 9 2012, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any performance-improvements to report?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Anecdotal, but my FPS is down a bit.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    as for balance, look here if you are impatient:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117569&st=60&gopid=1959954&#entry1959954" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...p;#entry1959954</a>
    (remember this is inofficial though, some unknown mechanic-changes can also have an impact on balance)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love the new menu. I love the new ui enhancements for the marines.(Only played them so far.)

I would really like to see a loading bar instead of the useless rotating circle.

Thanks for officially adding fullscreen windowed mode. Plus I got a mild performance increase I believe.

Great patch from what I played so far, excluding the glowing red hives across the map.
  • MelatoninMelatonin Babbler Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14551Members, Constellation
    anyone else feel like hitreg is tighter?

agree that parasite effect is ugly (I never had a problem with nano shields.)
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Is the Alien vision suppose to make everything except for marines and buildings pitch black?
    <!--quoteo(post=1959974:date=Aug 9 2012, 03:22 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Aug 9 2012, 03:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959974"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is the Alien vision suppose to make everything except for marines and buildings pitch black?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds like you are using a mod that hasnt been updated for 216
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited August 2012
    the hideous Parasite effect is of course very placeholder.

Glowing red hives and cc icon's are here to stay, sorry. They will probably be decreased a bit in size and maybe made a little less intense, but they are necessary for players to know where to go, and what the objective is. Every FPS game has something like this. Maybe it will be added as an option to turn off later.

--Cory
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1959980:date=Aug 9 2012, 04:26 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 9 2012, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe it will be added as an option to turn off later.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

oh yes, please. please. please. <u><b>please.</b></u>

or at the very least make it easy to mod out- currently the UI elements in the game are in like 10+ different lua files/folders.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959944:date=Aug 9 2012, 05:54 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Aug 9 2012, 05:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Couple of initial thoughts after playing for ten minutes:

I agree with all of these points. Also what's the purpose of having a hp bar when attacking a hive, or building something, i don't understand why that's needed, lets clutter up the screen some more... Either way, I feel at this moment in time that this patch has a couple of pointless new additions.

edit: Why add a placeholder, just keep it as it was until the new one is complete, it's just weird having something so ugly in whenever it doesn't have to be.
    edit2: Cory, as long as you can toggle off/on those glowing red cc/hive icons, then i'm fine with it. Plus I really don't think it shows 'what the objective is' or 'where to go'. I think all it does is confuses new players and rather than the new players doing what they should be doing, they're attracted to a CC and will just get randomly picked off. There has to be a better way.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1959978:date=Aug 9 2012, 06:25 PM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ Aug 9 2012, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds like you are using a mod that hasnt been updated for 216<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No mods here.

Just ran "verify integrity of game cache" and it found 1 file was bad and reaquired. Now AV is working fine again.
  • YashokiYashoki Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59256Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959983:date=Aug 9 2012, 11:30 PM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Aug 9 2012, 11:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with all of these points. Also what's the purpose of having a hp bar when attacking a hive, or building something, i don't understand why that's needed, lets clutter up the screen some more... Either way, I feel at this moment in time that this patch has a couple of pointless new additions.

edit: Why add a placeholder, just keep it as it was until the new one is complete, it's just weird having something so ugly in whenever it doesn't have to be.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm with Syknik.

Why do I hate visible CC/Hive? Because it's redundant information. Once we know where the hive is at, it's not going to move anywhere. It's up to the commander to keep everybody on track. The goal is to kill the hive, great! But I can't just walk in and poke it dead. There is a build up to that hive getting down and I feel like having that by having giant red 'go here' button it makes people more likely to just walk there and die. Why did the game tell me to go to this giant fortitied area? I don't know why I need to be constantly reminded that there is a hive there. I enjoy commanding and once we find where the hive is, I know what area to avoid and where we need to build against. I'm not going to forget what the objective is. The game yells at you as you start to destroy the enemy base. Having an "objective" is great, but it's not like we're playing NS2: The RPG and along the way to Data Core I'm going to be stopped by a friendly gorge to go pick up lerk pelts (somebody needs to make an NS2 RPG).

The progress bar while building is again something that seems redundant. I have a builder item that tells me the percentage, and the ring around the building, why do I need a bar as well? This also goes for the alien hive health. I'm personally against health bars by principle because I feel that there are better ways to display health. Maybe in a future update we can have physical scaring on the hive to show how destroyed it is getting or even have a hive list with health, just a suggestion, but I'm not happy with more clutter on my screen. The UI is nice and clean, yeah it's huge and it takes up a lot of screen real estate, but it at least looks nice and is for the most part, unobtrusive.

I'm going to keep any responses or this post or even this thread into this one I made <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119960" target="_blank">here</a>.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1959980:date=Aug 9 2012, 06:26 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 9 2012, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Glowing red hives and cc icon's are here to stay, sorry. They will probably be decreased a bit in size and maybe made a little less intense, but they are necessary for players to know where to go, and what the objective is. Every FPS game has something like this. Maybe it will be added as an option to turn off later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry, but I disagree. It's not like everyone should rush the hive by knowing where it is. You also don't know the path to it, so I find it rather confusing. My main point is: The hive is most of the time not the main objective, but rather it's rts or expansions.

If you want player to know where the other team is located, just show it on the minimap, but not in the first-person perspective.
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959980:date=Aug 10 2012, 09:26 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 10 2012, 09:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the hideous Parasite effect is of course very placeholder.

Glowing red hives and cc icon's are here to stay, sorry. They will probably be decreased a bit in size and maybe made a little less intense, but they are necessary for players to know where to go, and what the objective is. Every FPS game has something like this. <b>Maybe it will be added as an option to turn off later</b>.

Holy ###### yes please make this an option to turn off.

I'll have to test the patch when I get home from work :)

ps: Not sure why you would want new players constantly running at cc or hive, its not an objective point. However you have made the game open source, someone will mod it out for us eventually.
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111955Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2012
    progress bars and hive wall glow should be more transparent but yall probably working on that already

I like the changes to docking :)
  • LXJLXJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155188Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959980:date=Aug 9 2012, 04:26 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 9 2012, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Glowing red hives and cc icon's are here to stay, sorry. They will probably be decreased a bit in size and maybe made a little less intense, but they are necessary for players to know where to go, and what the objective is. Every FPS game has something like this. Maybe it will be added as an option to turn off later.

That's a load of non sense. I registered on to these forums just to say how unnecessary it is to have the glowing red CC/hive. In NS1, you didn't need it and I don't believe you need it in NS2.

Sorry Cory, but the consumer is always right.

There are waypoints for a reason... In every screenshot we're going to have the Hive/CC in it. At least have what the first hive as text on the HUD somewhere, I'd much prefer that then it always on my screen. It's also very distracting especially in dark rooms.

It's when you stop listening to 'us' the players of the game, it's then it starts to fall apart.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    Hmm, I'm not opposed to the glowing hive/cc although I wonder if it will make new players think they're supposed to charge the enemy base when in fact that is not usually a smart strategy. In any case I sincerely hope the current look is placeholder. The fact that its size does not change with distance is VERY disorienting, and it should probably be an outline instead of solid.

I also don't care for the building progress bar. It's ugly, the ingame floor circle looks cool and isn't hard to understand.
  • L34DL34D Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63280Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1959944:date=Aug 9 2012, 11:54 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Aug 9 2012, 11:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hives are visible through the walls for all marines when they've been spotted. What the?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

srsly guys wtf!! One key feature of NS1/2 was to explore the map and now you are showing where the CCs/hives are. Thats just a facepalm.
    The rest of the patch, it runs smooth. congrats but i have no fun if i see the hives and CCs and i dont think that you should make it optional the first 2-3 min was about exploring now its only about rush the base.

Do you now in starcraft/warcraft etc. at the start where the enemy base is (random spawns). I dont think so. Next patch please.

Not your best patch....
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1960001:date=Aug 9 2012, 06:56 PM:name=L34D)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (L34D @ Aug 9 2012, 06:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->srsly guys wtf!! One key feature of NS1/2 was to explore the map and now you are showing where the CCs/hives are. Thats just a facepalm.
    The rest of the patch, it runs smooth. congrats but i have no fun if i see the hives and CCs and i dont think that you should make it optional the first 2-3 min was about exploring now its only about rush the base.

Do you now in starcraft/warcraft etc. at the start where the enemy base is (random spawns). I dont think so. Next patch please.

Not your best patch....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Come on guys, go open up the game at least before you post. You don't see it unless someone gets line of sight.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    VERY big increase in hitreg and fps for me. That's a huge buff to marines and very positive!
    Why oh why did you buff marines even FURTHER with armory healing armor again ???????????????????
    We finally got some teamwork going with people welding eachother and welders are also good to have for destroyed PNs, now that's all POINTLESS cos you can just run back to armory!
    What about lerk battles again? Marine hugs armory 1-2 sec and the lerks 20s of work is nullified? It's really boring as marine.

As for red glowing hives on HUD, why? Just make them be spotted on minimap, like any other RTS (hives and all other spotted buildings, but greyed out so one knows they're not in LOS).
  • LXJLXJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155188Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960001:date=Aug 9 2012, 04:56 PM:name=L34D)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (L34D @ Aug 9 2012, 04:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not your best patch....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lot's of redundant additions. Build 216 has only made the game worse.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    The primary objectives are here to stay. If you have no trouble knowing what your primary objective is, you are not the kind of player we are trying to help.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Natural Shiny 2.

It reminds me of this video - <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ</a>