WASD as commander is a must (keybind request)

spaceturtlespaceturtle Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154714Members
Currently you cannot move the camera as commander with the WASD keys. There is no ability to rebind this, nor rebind the hotkeys for quick actions such as Scan. Every RTS and top down camera game I play I immediately rebind camera to WASD. Arrow keys or moving the mouse to the edge for me is as uncomfortable as playing a marine without WASD for movement.

I know there are many others like me, as once you get used to WASD for camera in RTS games nothing beats it. Would really like to see the keybinds expanded for this before release. Playing commander with mouse or arrow keys for the camera is really painful, and discourages other players from hopping into it that may otherwise enjoy it.

Comments

• NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1959516:date=Aug 8 2012, 10:33 PM:name=spaceturtle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spaceturtle @ Aug 8 2012, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959516"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Currently you cannot move the camera as commander with the WASD keys. There is no ability to rebind this, nor rebind the hotkeys for quick actions such as Scan. Every RTS and top down camera game I play I immediately rebind camera to WASD. Arrow keys or moving the mouse to the edge for me is as uncomfortable as playing a marine without WASD for movement.

I know there are many others like me, as once you get used to WASD for camera in RTS games nothing beats it. Would really like to see the keybinds expanded for this before release. Playing commander with mouse or arrow keys for the camera is really painful, and discourages other players from hopping into it that may otherwise enjoy it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seconded. It should at least be an <i>option</i>.
  • BlasphemyBlasphemy Join Date: 2008-05-02 Member: 64201Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2012
    This could be neat. Although I never used such functionality in games like Supreme Commander (didn't have WASD, but you could still translate around), I did use it and it was fantastic in Wargame: European Escalation. It would be a problem if things were getting hairy though, as you would have to keep moving your hand across the keyboard for quick commands as if you're playing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. This would be a bit of a problem in NS2 which has a faster pace.

What could really make things neat is if it had a toggle button to it. That way, you could still keep your left hand on home row, while being able to move around quick and easy.

Ex. WASD would be remapped to the movement keys as long as the shift or ctrl key is held down. Then key mapping would be returned to normal once it is released.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    They should make everything rebindable. Also NS2 does not recognize buttons 4 and 5 on my mouse, but I am not sure if that is a problem with the game or my drivers.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    I think they said they are going to make commander keys bindable in the future. In the meantime why don't you just open your minimap as commander and click on it? It works a lot faster than anything else....
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959542:date=Aug 8 2012, 09:04 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Aug 8 2012, 09:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They should make everything rebindable. Also NS2 does not recognize buttons 4 and 5 on my mouse, but I am not sure if that is a problem with the game or my drivers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Check in by dushan: #FIX Use raw input to handle mouse buttons 4 and 5 even when raw input is disabled
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    things would also be easier the camera was somehow smart enough to center itself on the room when you click on the minimap, so that you can franticly click roughly in the minimap, but the camera knows which room you want and it will pick the best location for the best view.

Then you can adjust it as you like with the arrow keys or the screen edge mousing.
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    Starcraft players have managed without for ... what, 12 years? Not exactly "a must". It wasnt in NS1 either. Just get faster and more accurate with your mouse movements...
  • ShadrougeShadrouge Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154833Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1959622:date=Aug 9 2012, 06:30 PM:name=marks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marks @ Aug 9 2012, 06:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Starcraft players have managed without for ... what, 12 years? Not exactly "a must". It wasnt in NS1 either. Just get faster and more accurate with your mouse movements...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Still could be nice as an option for those that find it more natural/intuitive than using mouse for both panning the camera as well as selecting and placing things.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I prefer the current layout, its very easy. I can understand some how people are used to WASD for movement around though.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
  • JowJow Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106032Members
    If they added hotkeyable map locations like in Starcraft that would be great honestly, even control groups but those would be a lot less useful.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 for the option. Cursor keys are to far away to quickly hit ASDF.
    Would like to use WASD and have the other hotkeys on ERTZ
  • LucimoprhLucimoprh Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155113Members
    Yes please, the first thing I did when I tried the commander post was click the wasd keys to move the camera around, and instead started placing weird stuff in odd places instead xD
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1959622:date=Aug 9 2012, 11:30 AM:name=marks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marks @ Aug 9 2012, 11:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Starcraft players have managed without for ... what, 12 years? Not exactly "a must". It wasnt in NS1 either. Just get faster and more accurate with your mouse movements...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except that Starcraft benefits less from constantly following a single unit. If you use WASD to follow a marine, you can keep your mouse pointer with a medpack selected ontop of the marine as long as you want to, without dropping down to move the map.

Another reason to allow players separate binds for comm, is that the combined binds just don't play nice together. I haven't noticed any huge glitches lately, but I still think there's something odd with the weapon slot bindings as commander.
    <!--quoteo(post=1959689:date=Aug 9 2012, 07:20 AM:name=Jow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jow @ Aug 9 2012, 07:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If they added hotkeyable map locations like in Starcraft that would be great honestly, even control groups but those would be a lot less useful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I tend to map hives to number keys, but it would be nice if the HOME key was mapped to cycle through the hives.

I've said it before, I've said it again lol.
    <!--quoteo(post=1959748:date=Aug 9 2012, 10:06 AM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Aug 9 2012, 10:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Except that Starcraft benefits less from constantly following a single unit. If you use WASD to follow a marine, you can keep your mouse pointer with a medpack selected ontop of the marine as long as you want to, without dropping down to move the map.

Another reason to allow players separate binds for comm, is that the combined binds just don't play nice together. I haven't noticed any huge glitches lately, but I still think there's something odd with the weapon slot bindings as commander.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To follow a marine it would be nice if double clicking on a marine make him take focus and have the camera automatically follow him centred (until commander moves mouse to edge of screen, breaking focus).