Future Military - Not that efficient it seems.

XaragothXaragoth Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154720Members
edited August 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Or rather: Starship Troopers was right!</div>So, after playing a lot of NS2, I noticed how incredible ineffective the Frontiersmen Equipment is. Yes, yes, this is clearly for balance, but come on, let's have some fun shall we?

So, the Frontiermen. Mankinds first line of defense against the Mutants from outer space. Appearently they are equipped with advanced tech. Also they are rigorously trained and highly disciplined. So says our glorious Wiki.

So, that leaves me with quite a few questions in that regard...

Sentry Turrets have a tracking system for hostiles. Why did nobody ever install this into Assault Rifles? The Xenos are highly mobile, so any kind of small edge to keep aim on the target would be a question of life and death. Also, appearently in the future we have forgotten that we once installed grenade launchers on our rifles. Not to mention all the other toys we can add to modern weaponry.

Shotguns appearently still work like they did during WW1 and not like they do today, not to mention how much we could have advanced those things after we discovered how to travel in space properly! Shotguns are being loaded by adding a single slug after another. Instead of just hammering in a new magazine like sensible military personal would do, when you fight a race of killers that can speed down a hallway at 300 miles an hour and leap at you. You clearly have time to reload, while those Skunks eat your face off.

So, why is it that we use Flashlights? The most uneffective way to survey darker areas known to mankind. Every Child knows when you finally manage to get your light on the Fade, it will already stand right in front of you. One would think by now we would use at least Infrared goggles, if not a combination goggle of Infrared/Nightvision.

Appearently we forgot about the most basic way to catch birds and fish we have ever invented. Behold the wonder of the NET. Not only would it tangle up Lerks, it could also be shot with a line attached, so we can just electrocute them and pull it back into the netlauncher (which preferably would either be a 2nd barrel of the shotgun or a underslung AR attachment).

Our Grenade Launchers seem to only have one grenade we can use in the future. Maybe we ran out of deadly gas, napalm and stuff. We probably use that to power space travel these days.

What else might we have done with all that free time? ... oh yeah.

We could have made Chainsaw Axes. One would think some weapon nerd somewhere still likes Warhammer 40k in the future. If we can make flying robots, we can probably also make a weapon that cuts up Aliens before they cut you up.

If we have the ability to build Phase Gates, why don't we invent a weapon that distorts the phase of the Aliens in an unstable way, sending half of their ugly faces hurling into some other plane of existance?

I have no idea why anyone even in the future would be insane enough to use Gas for a Flamethrower. They clearly want that tank blowing up their soldiers. Not to mention they don't want them to spray liquid fire all over the Aliens, so they just burn to death.

We also forgot how to weld some steel plates over our vents. Or put mini Phase Gates into them that send the aliens into a giant death trap we brought with us to instantly shred them.

And last but not least my favorite.

We appearently forgot how Doors work. Or that they even exist. Because NO ONE. And I mean NO ONE, has had the common sense to weld most of the doors shut so that the Aliens can't just run into our base of operations and tear the place to shreds.

Oh and we also forgot to bring Tanks. And Nukes. Mostly Nukes.

So ... yeah ... I guess our future is not bright if we meet some agressive Aliens :P

Comments

• GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    this put a smile on my face :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The background of the TSF is basically futuristic human combat on a budget. This is why it seems like a combo of amazing technology (instant teleportation, flying robots, siege cannons that can shoot throw walls) and basement bargain hardware (e.g. rifle, pistol, axe, GL, FT all seem worse than current human technology).

There is also the all-purpose answer to all confusion: nanites!
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I also think that quite a few modern day soldiers could probably tell you stories about how they were promised new equipment, but when they got to the frontlines, the logistics wasn't in place, politicians slashed the budgets, and they have to do with old equipment that should have been scrapped long time ago.

Or you could imagine that the fights we play are after the initial battles, where the good stuff have been used up :) So this is what we are left with :)
  • XaragothXaragoth Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154720Members
    edited August 2012
    Ye, but tbh ... We aren't talking about our regular wars here. We are talking about war against a race that might very well devour us all. I doubt they would cut their budget :P

I actually wonder nobody suggested to just blow the entire planets with nukes until they look like black glass from orbit. That's what we usually do when we want something really, really dead.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chainsaw Axes<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yes please.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1959287:date=Aug 8 2012, 03:23 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 8 2012, 03:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The background of the TSF is basically futuristic human combat on a budget. This is why it seems like a combo of amazing technology (instant teleportation, flying robots, siege cannons that can shoot throw walls) and basement bargain hardware (e.g. rifle, pistol, axe, GL, FT all seem worse than current human technology).

There is also the all-purpose answer to all confusion: nanites!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, nanites. Also I suppose the bacterium disabled many of our higher capabilities.
    <!--quoteo(post=1959300:date=Aug 8 2012, 09:38 PM:name=NolSinkler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NolSinkler @ Aug 8 2012, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959300"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, nanites. Also I suppose the bacterium disabled many of our higher capabilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like the door panel.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    Fun read. And don't forget about the jetpack technology that requires no limbs to operate which leads us to believe it is in fact operated by a processor connected wireless to the brain?
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959307:date=Aug 8 2012, 09:41 PM:name=cake.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cake. @ Aug 8 2012, 09:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959307"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fun read. And don't forget about the jetpack technology that requires no limbs to operate which leads us to believe it is in fact operated by a processor connected wireless to the brain?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ha, yeah. That one too.

Also we forgot how to use LMGs and RPGs. Clearly a hail of bullets and a rocket to the face would be pretty effective.

Not to mention somebody probably should have found a way to make .50 work with some kind of automatic gun.

I'd call it the Onos Puncher. Because it would make holes into it :P

Also, why did nobody try to interrupt the Aliens with some waves in a different spectrum of hearing. I bet they don't like screaching noises.

Or maybe that's our normal human voices and that's why they bite us ... hrmmmmm.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited August 2012
    pretend they're warhammer 40k guardsmen and it'll all make sense.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1959330:date=Aug 8 2012, 01:06 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Aug 8 2012, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->pretend they're warhammer 40k guardsmen and it'll all make sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

pew pew flashlights!
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1959332:date=Aug 8 2012, 04:08 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Aug 8 2012, 04:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959332"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->pew pew flashlights!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

forget that, i send mine in close combat whenever i get the chance. maybe i just have lucky high dice rolls.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1959294:date=Aug 8 2012, 02:29 PM:name=Xaragoth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xaragoth @ Aug 8 2012, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959294"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually wonder nobody suggested to just blow the entire planets with nukes until they look like black glass from orbit. That's what we usually do when we want something really, really dead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They nuke the planet if the marines lose.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    It's so that aliens don't get completely walked over. Imagine having this shotgun instead of the crap one they have in game:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

Wouldn't be so fun to be an alien against guns like that.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    there was some backstory about the bacteria interfering with the advanced tech weapons of the marines. the answer is always nanites. and bacteria.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959339:date=Aug 8 2012, 10:19 PM:name={GGs} Chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({GGs} Chicken @ Aug 8 2012, 10:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's so that aliens don't get completely walked over. Imagine having this shotgun instead of the crap one they have in game:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

Wouldn't be so fun to be an alien against guns like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You didn't get the thread :[ I clearly said "Yes, yes, this is clearly for balance, but come on, let's have some fun shall we?"

We are just having some fun. We clearly need one of these threads for Aliens too!

Also, there is an easy solution to that. We just toughen up the Aliens :P

It wouldn't be too bad to have a AA-12 Style Shotgun. If it feels more fun firing, while being balanced ;)

<!--quoteo(post=1959347:date=Aug 8 2012, 10:32 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 8 2012, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959347"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there was some backstory about the bacteria interfering with the advanced tech weapons of the marines. the answer is always nanites. and bacteria.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Acceptable, but that doesn't help against a lot of what was brought up ;D

Also, why can't we throw our Axe? I'd totally attach a wire to it, so I can pull it out of the corpse of a Gorge :P
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Yeah. In my defense I saw the wall of text and just went off the title.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    Expandable Soldiers and Weaponry stick together. The Prototype weaponry is for monitored real-time testing. Even if the Marines lose everything they built, scientists still get the data on how the JP and Exo tested against Spikes and claws. Marines never get anything past Prototype, sadly.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1959333:date=Aug 8 2012, 01:09 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Aug 8 2012, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->forget that, i send mine in close combat whenever i get the chance. maybe i just have lucky high dice rolls.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eh, whatever holds the line long enough for the tank shells to land.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are some good mod ideas in here. Imagine NS2 extreme. Give marines uber cool tech and buff the aliens enough for it.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    High tech equipment? All i want is a big fishing net to catch lerks ><
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    Just two things, Flamer throwers with tans don't explode when shot they simply fizzle, its not like they are under high pressure and even if this was the case it still wouldn't explode

And then there is someone claiming the TSF weaponry is worse in terms of damage output or something? How can you be certain, maybe the current tech weapons wouldn't even dent the alien armor/skin :P
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    ahh how I miss the days of when kharaa could use phasegates in ns1 - nothing quite like getting your seige location destoryed by an onos, which then would proceed to phase into your base and continue the rampage there, and then to phase out again at which point it would destory the phasegate on the other end so that it couldn't be followed.

good times :)
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Epic thread. I totally wish everything you said could be true :D
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When you see Exo suit with dule miniguns or dule railguns, you tone will soon change young padawan
  • kobjaguerkobjaguer Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100088Members
    maybe if khaara blood as like the "alien" movie , and if we get the parasite style mindcontrol on marines, make a ###### arc go boom in the wrong way or get a HA reverse rush lool
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    Instead of investing in futuristic gadgetry, we just dumped all of our money into developing nanites. After all, what good are high tech goodies if you can't materialize them out of thin air?
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    BFGs will balance fades. Also plasma weaponry is awesome. I wouldn't mind if they wanted to implement LMGs into NS2 and make it like the plasma rifle from Doom 3 instead with the same functionality to differentiate it from the assault rifle.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959426:date=Aug 9 2012, 12:50 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 9 2012, 12:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just two things, Flamer throwers with tans don't explode when shot they simply fizzle, its not like they are under high pressure and even if this was the case it still wouldn't explode<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hello Kouji, how nice of you to join us :D

Lies, all preposterous lies! Clearly liquid is superior to gas! Just look at water! In gas form it's not as delicious as in it's liquid state! Not to mention it's frozen state! Freezing Flamethrowers, that's where it's at! With chocolate sauce on top! But yes, you are right. It was just for comical purposes and the clear hope I could trick you into making a "Hell In Space"-Flamethrower :P

I still hope you guys turn the Flamethrower into something more like the one from Killing Floor ;)
    Because 1. We all want those Alien Bonfires and 2. will probably look so much better, giving it a nice feel. Last I checked a lot of people were confused about it, since it's a siege weapon and doesn't deal so much damage. At least it would look a lot more powerful and fun that way. Think about it for after 1.0 as a nice optical upgrade? Pretty please? Would also give a nice visual to the current DoT aspect it already has.
    Look, you already love the idea. I CAN SEE IT! ;D

<!--quoteo(post=1959426:date=Aug 9 2012, 12:50 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 9 2012, 12:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And then there is someone claiming the TSF weaponry is worse in terms of damage output or something? How can you be certain, maybe the current tech weapons wouldn't even dent the alien armor/skin :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I heard Carapace is broken, so we don't even discuss weapon balance anymore until you guys fix it *chuckles*

If it doesn't make a dent, we nuke the place. Clearly. I mean, that's our solution TO EVERY PROBLEM EVER INVENTED. And if that doesn't help, well, we can always build a Nuke firing a Nuke firing a Nuke. WE WILL HAVE SUPERIOR FIREPOWER AND THOSE ALIENS WILL LIKE IT! ;D

But I hope you guys get maybe a few ideas out of this thread. While it has comedic value to some degree, it also might supply a few ideas to improve gameplay - gotta come up with one for Aliens :)
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nukes are gone... Some time ago, a very advanced alien race, that we named the "(U)ngodly (W)ealthy (E)quipped" ones, destroyed most of our higher tech and send in the Khara for their pure amusement. They just like seeing us struggle. They got some kind of tech that simply alters reality and stripped us of our pretty nukes, auto-shotguns, etc. We called this time the (D)eadly (E)xecuted (V)andalism. A guy named Kabab went really nuts at that time. :P