Help the new guys, not hinder

2»

Comments

• ZxaberZxaber Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73315Members
    I guess the best advice I could give to new players is:

*Have your first game as marine commander in a small game of around 4v4.
    Ideally after a few rounds of non-commander. Marine commander can require a lot of mutitasking. Its a lot easier to get the basics down without having to worry about 7 other players needing medpacks/ammo packs/ extractors/ phasegates/ scans/ etc...

and

*If you're a new commander, <b>please let your team know</b>
    Most players are more than glad to help you out. Tell us you're new, and we'll help you though the basics.
  • Natural1Natural1 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154651Members
    New chap here. So far, everyone's been offering excellent advice, I'm getting a little bit better playing alien (not marine though; I lag too much to be effective with firearms) and I'm having a blast playing the game. Thanks to all you great teachers out there.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    I want to say welcome to all new players.

Atm i enjoy and hate new players, hard to tell.

Its really cool to see so many new players and it seems 90% have fun with the game.
    Never saw 2 gorges blocking an PG with cloqs before :)

So, new players, some new ideas flow in.

But, if the aliencom say "marines near hive" and give us big [!] to show the spot and all alien run in the other direction, i hate the games atm.
    The marines rush the hive for sure and win the game.
    This has nothing todo with ns2. If the enemy is near the base, its not that good that the whole team is runnig the other direction.
    Maybe the players know that they have better fps in noncrowded areas, who knows ;)

Right now we have players with over 1000 hrs of gameexperience slaughters an full server with new players. Im sure we see old discussions soon in the forum like: Fade op, shotgun op, aliens op, arcs op,...

Please, before complaining about things, play the game a while. There is balance todo for sure. But the fade for example isnt so op most of the new players might be thinking.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    Just a story here

I was playing on OldAssGamers yesterday with two newbie commanders on tram, it is quite essential for this to work is to have two newbie commanders. I've never had this much fun. Sure lots of things went wrong and the round was <strike>quite long</strike> <b>EPIC</b>, but just the sheer amount of comedy gold made me grind from ear to ear. Explaining certain things to the newbies was good for the atmosphere on the server as well. It's quite interesting to see newbies asking questions about stuff that was seemingly obvious from my point of view, but apparently wasn't that intuitive at all.

The follow-up round on docking was even more awesome with lots of rings around the container/pillar/dropship going "Follow me" vs Oni that had no idea how to stop it. Oh and axing an Onos with the whole marine team was awesome stuff and the most fun I've had on NS2 in ages. Especially with the new peeps eagerness to learn stuff.

Sometimes you go serious (fun), sometimes you go in for fun fun fun. The wonders of pub games are just that. Unless you're of the grumpy <b>OMG DO IT LOIK THIS >insert rage<</b> type, I guess...
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1956465:date=Aug 3 2012, 10:35 AM:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA @ Aug 3 2012, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im sure we see old discussions soon in the forum like: Fade op, shotgun op, aliens op, arcs op,...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

be honest, you miss those.
  • ReddayeReddaye Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154781Members
    I just joined up yesterday and so far everyone has been extremely helpful. A few people can get irritated, but they generally do their best to explain stuff to the newer players. Easily one of, if the most friendly online fps community I've come across in quite some time.
  • IckorusIckorus Join Date: 2012-07-12 Member: 154057Members
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, I've been seeing a bit of this too and it's really pretty sad, we should be acting as a standard for the rest of the community to follow instead of acting superior because we happened to buy the game before a certain date; the community was great before TB's videos and nothing should change that.

Besides, I keep getting mistaken for a newbie because I only upgraded my PC to a state that could handle the game a couple months ago and have been too busy these last couple of months to get as much time into the game as I'd like so I'm not such a recognizable name.

@Kouji_San I saw a guy beacon his team back to base because he thought it was a research option.

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Ok, that might have been me.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    <i><!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->I suck at commander.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></i>
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Its been fun so far to mentor the newbies and new commanders.

First questions seem to be "why I can I not build harvesters?" (need cysts) and "How do I get carapace?" (need shells). Need some basic tooltips for commanders about cysts I think. They also tend to not be aware of all the res points, but that comes with experience. Some of the res points are a little hidden though (eg maintenance on ns2_docking was being ignored for a long time)

Had one ######head today who was giving everyone attitude instead of commanding properly, so yelled at him til he left the chair, but otherwise its been pretty smooth sailing.

I've found using the Alert [!] ability to highlight places works well for the new players, as they don't know map locations when I start shouting out where marines are.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957892:date=Aug 5 2012, 06:19 PM:name=Reddaye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Reddaye @ Aug 5 2012, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957892"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Easily one of, if the most friendly online fps community I've come across in quite some time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that's quite a stretch from the NS1 crowd. lets see if it stays that way.
  • ReddayeReddaye Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154781Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957903:date=Aug 5 2012, 07:47 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Aug 5 2012, 07:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that's quite a stretch from the NS1 crowd. lets see if it stays that way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I'm speaking from around 6 hours of playtime since yesterday so I certainly could have missed the elitist horde...but generally the experienced players have been very good. I spent a lot of time researching the game before I committed to buying so I have a maybe better than average knowledge of whats going on, but I still am usually low on the scoreboard. You don't see the heckling a lot of newer players get in other games.

Sometimes it can be annoying even for me when I'm playing Marines (who seem to struggle a lot on pubs atm) and our first time Comm isn't getting us upgraded weapon and armor tech fast enough to deal with the alien carapaces and other upgrades. It's just a game though and if you have tolerance for new players they become experienced players. A year down the road you suddenly have a pretty sizable community with lots of games going on and those former newbies are now seasoned players who learned how to treat the newer players. Those newer players come along through the game and your community just grows stronger.

Hopefully the lag spikes I'm experiencing calm down as NS2 launches because I intend to stick around for a long time. (Yeah, I'm one of the TB hoodlums lol)
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1957902:date=Aug 5 2012, 03:47 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Aug 5 2012, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've found using the Alert [!] ability to highlight places works well for the new players, as they don't know map locations when I start shouting out where marines are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I discovered a hotkey for that. Shift+Click on the map, and it does the [!] alert right there!

Super easy.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Remember, you where like them once
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957920:date=Aug 5 2012, 07:09 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Aug 5 2012, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I discovered a hotkey for that. Shift+Click on the map, and it does the [!] alert right there!

Super easy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol I didn't realise there was another way besides Shift-Click.
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    BUMP. Had a few games last night where for the first time all servers were full with an overflow of new player's. But the vets were going off their nut at them. We almost managed to pull back a complete loss, got half the map control back when every one chilled out.

Relax guys the next few months are going to be full of new player's. Great to see full servers, though UWE how on earth do you expect to get 32 players? The current ones barely hold 18