Three VERY IMPORTANT questions

Rapid_SausageRapid_Sausage Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154811Members
edited August 2012 in Technical Support
Hello everyone, i've been following NS2 for quite a while, and i didn't get really interested until now.
i'm thinking about pre-ordering the game but i'm quite worried about 3 very important subjects (to me).

<b>1. Will my laptop run it?:</b>
I know laptops aren't meant for gaming, but this is the only thing i got now and it's the only thing i'll have for another year, i'll be happy to be able to just run it with medium textures and reasonable particles and 2x AA, everything else on low/none. (under current beta conditions)
<b>CPU: i5 520m 2.4ghz~2.93 (2 cores)
GPU: Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (1gb)
RAM: 4gb
WIN: 7 64-bit
Res: 1366 x 768</b>

<b>2. Pricing:</b>
Will the game cost the same on release as it is now? (i.e $35)

<b>3.Region:</b>
I live in Egypt, and one of the many downsides to that is that many companies tend to single out middle east availability for their games.
Will NS2 be region locked in ANY WAY (particularly to Egypt)?

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    1. It will run on your laptop, but not necessarily well. You'd likely have to disable all of the available graphics options to get roughly 20-30fps on average.
    2. Probably. The only thing I could really see happening is combo deals, but that's really just speculation.
    3. NS2 will be distributed through Steam, so if you can run Steam then you can run NS2.
  • Rapid_SausageRapid_Sausage Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154811Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957773:date=Aug 5 2012, 11:21 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 5 2012, 11:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957773"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. It will run on your laptop, but not necessarily well. You'd likely have to disable all of the available graphics options to get roughly 20-30fps on average.
    2. Probably. The only thing I could really see happening is combo deals, but that's really just speculation.
    3. NS2 will be distributed through Steam, so if you can run Steam then you can run NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

not everything on steam is available to me, some games are blocked.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some governments tend to ban particular types of games, which the developer has little control over (e.g. the Quake series is banned in Germany and can't be bought on Steam with a German IP and/or credit card).
    I don't see why UWE themselves would decide to lock out any particular part of the world. It doesn't make any sense for them at all.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957804:date=Aug 5 2012, 12:09 PM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Aug 5 2012, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some governments tend to ban particular types of games, which the developer has little control over (e.g. the Quake series is banned in Germany and can't be bought on Steam with a German IP and/or credit card).
    I don't see why UWE themselves would decide to lock out any particular part of the world. It doesn't make any sense for them at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

our government never banned any games (except extreme cases like Dante's Inferno due to strong religious issues), it was always on the developer side.

for example, age of empires online is not available in my country, and there's no reason why my government would be the ones responsible.
    can i get more replies please :S
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1957731:date=Aug 5 2012, 10:55 AM:name=Rapid_Sausage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rapid_Sausage @ Aug 5 2012, 10:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>2. Pricing:</b>
    Will the game cost the same on release as it is now? (i.e $35)

<b>3.Region:</b>
    I live in Egypt, and one of the many downsides to that is that many companies tend to single out middle east availability for their games.
    Will NS2 be region locked in ANY WAY (particularly to Egypt)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

2. This has not been decided yet. This is not saying it will go up, or down. Just no decision has been made.

3. There is no plans to region lock it from the developer side.
    <!--quoteo(post=1957973:date=Aug 5 2012, 07:27 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Aug 5 2012, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2. This has not been decided yet. This is not saying it will go up, or down. Just no decision has been made.

3. There is no plans to region lock it from the developer side.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i just hope that after i pay for the game, steam won't refuse to let me download the game.
    i'll be very, very, VERY upset should that happen.

and will have quite a long talk with customer support.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1958083:date=Aug 6 2012, 03:18 PM:name=Rapid_Sausage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rapid_Sausage @ Aug 6 2012, 03:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i just hope that after i pay for the game, steam won't refuse to let me download the game.
    i'll be very, very, VERY upset should that happen.

and will have quite a long talk with customer support.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is no customer support. Your "long talk" will be: "I demand a refund!" - "OK." - "What?!" - "OK." - "OK."
    <!--quoteo(post=1958119:date=Aug 6 2012, 06:31 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Aug 6 2012, 06:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is no customer support. Your "long talk" will be: "I demand a refund!" - "OK." - "What?!" - "OK." - "OK."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i hope i don't need to.
    if it's not available in my country they shouldn't be accepting payments from that country in the first place.