Some Gorge adjustments that will bring them back to their former glory

kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Last desperate plea before release :(</div>As we all know there are a lot of disappointed players in regards to the gorge the core of the issue is from what I can see is limited building of structures compared to NS1...

This is my solution..

When you evolve to a gorge you no longer gain personal res your personal res goes directly into the team pool..

Gorge can build crags, whips, hydra's shifts and resource nodes from team res.

3 hydra and clog limit is removed gorge can still build these for free but they are now on a timer one of each structure per x minutes.. Gorges can store up these structures at 1 hive they can store 2 of each at 2 hives 4 and so on and so forth, this would allow gorges to make a decision between slowly building up an area's or saving up to be able to rapidly lock down an area... So it works the same as using pres did but removes the resource component...

The reason these change would work is because you now need to make a trade off when you pick the gorge do you want a strong builder unit at the expense of a higher life form late game this trade off is what keep the free hydra's and cogs part balanced which isn't the case currently.

The ability to build more types of things gives back that variety that players want...

What do you guys think?

Comments

• WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    so you can have griefer gorges reslock the team? nty.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1957391:date=Aug 5 2012, 12:09 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 5 2012, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957391"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so you can have griefer gorges reslock the team? nty.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can do that now but with a gorge that is far more boring to play...

The res lock issue is a broader game design issue which needs to be solved regardless of how the gorge works....
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    your idea of drawing from team res would make it infinitely easier to troll. at least you can vote to eject the khamm, how are you going to vote kick the gorge that's spamming 10 whips in the first hive?
    <!--quoteo(post=1957396:date=Aug 5 2012, 12:12 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 5 2012, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->your idea of drawing from team res would make it infinitely easier to troll. at least you can vote to eject the khamm, how are you going to vote kick the gorge that's spamming 10 whips in the first hive?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Put a timer on how many they can place... The gorge is also contributing back to the team resource pool...

Dumbing down the game play because someone might troll every now and again is very lame all you will end up with is a game with very little depth..

Right now anyone can jump in as alien commander and waste all the team res in the exact same fashion... So not a lot would actually be different..

Same can be said for marine commander...

Generally speaking that type of deliberate trolling happens very little and most servers have admins which can ban players.. The biggest risk is new players but hey every game has a learning curve..
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The way you suggest it, the gorge can spend faster than he adds res. You say anyone can waste so much res as a commander, but only 1 person can waste it at a time. That is if they were wasting it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1957409:date=Aug 5 2012, 12:34 PM:name=james888)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (james888 @ Aug 5 2012, 12:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957409"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The way you suggest it, the gorge can spend faster than he adds res. You say anyone can waste so much res as a commander, but only 1 person can waste it at a time. That is if they were wasting it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But who says its being wasted the gorge will be placing structures to help the team, sure there is room for some abuse but it makes the game far more flexible and interesting...

The same thing somewhat happened in NS1 someone had to save for hive someone had to save for upgrades etc but it all worked out fine because at the end of the day because NS is a team game and the team with the best communication and organisation wins...

I don't understand this aversion to having some risk in the game it's that risk reward factor that makes things exciting..
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think this is a problem anymore as alien commanders don't rely on drifters to build now. You just need a commander that can coordinate with his gorgies.
    <!--quoteo(post=1957412:date=Aug 5 2012, 12:42 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Aug 5 2012, 12:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think this is a problem anymore as alien commanders don't rely on drifters to build now. You just need a commander that can coordinate with his gorgies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But do you not find the gorges boring given the same limit of structures they can place...

Not to mention u can gorge up and defend a corridor for quiet some time while gather massive pres die then go straight to fade/onos which is not that balanced... Gorges are very strong early game since they can instantly lock down marines until they get upgrades then they are pretty rubbish late game since marine upgrades rape their structures...

The gorge is very broken currently just no one plays the game seriously enough to see it yet...
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957413:date=Aug 4 2012, 06:45 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Aug 4 2012, 06:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957413"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But do you not find the gorges boring given the same limit of structures they can place...

Not to mention u can gorge up and defend a corridor for quiet some time while gather massive pres die then go straight to fade/onos which is not that balanced... Gorges are very strong early game since they can instantly lock down marines until they get upgrades then they are pretty rubbish late game since marine upgrades rape their structures...

The gorge is very broken currently just no one plays the game seriously enough to see it yet...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bile Bomb for Marine buildings. So they're still great for the late-game and they're not completely useless. You wouldn't want a Commando Gorge that can do everything. It's good to have aliens with different strengths and weaknesses.

Edit: The only thing I don't like is when I gorge again, all the buildings I had up disappear... If you ask me, they should only disappear if you go Lerk/fade/Onos... ;_; Same restrictions, but keep your buildings up if you're staying Gorge for most of the game. I've never played a Gorge in NS1, so take this opinion however you like.
    Only if the commander researches it now...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1957413:date=Aug 4 2012, 10:45 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Aug 4 2012, 10:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957413"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But do you not find the gorges boring given the same limit of structures they can place...

The gorge is very broken currently just no one plays the game seriously enough to see it yet...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with the additional structures. Like the upgrade chambers in ns1, there needs to be an ns2 counterpart for the gorge placing upgrade chambers, as he can't change the way how battles play like in ns1. Which does make him feel shallow in comparison.
  • plausiblesargeplausiblesarge Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154558Members
    I think Gorges could remain useful and contribute to the team more if it was exactly the other way around:

They can build Extractors, Crags, Shades etc at a cost to their own personal resource pool. Saving the commander all that money might just win them the game
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    I think it would be interesting if gorges could build more structures - right now they can build hydras and clogs, and that's it. If they could also build the other standard alien structures that could be quite interesting, but I think it would definitely skew the balance of the game. I think the better solution perhaps is to create more and different structures that the gorge can build, the supplements but doesn't copy the abilities of the other upgrade structures.
    That makes sense, because all that extra Res the gorge gains is useless unless you wanna go Lerk/Fade/Onos and some of us want to be Gorge all game for all the support they can give, so adding more structures and making you pay your own res for them would be neat :)
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1957437:date=Aug 4 2012, 11:29 PM:name=CobraCommander)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CobraCommander @ Aug 4 2012, 11:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That makes sense, because all that extra Res the gorge gains is useless unless you wanna go Lerk/Fade/Onos and some of us want to be Gorge all game for all the support they can give, so adding more structures and making you pay your own res for them would be neat :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just ask the Alien Comm to get out and let me drop a life form egg if I'm Gorging all game. Makes use of that res for another person who can put the res to better use.
    <!--quoteo(post=1957443:date=Aug 5 2012, 01:54 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Aug 5 2012, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957443"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just ask the Alien Comm to get out and let me drop a life form egg if I'm Gorging all game. Makes use of that res for another person who can put the res to better use.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah but alien com really sucks it's boring to play and the majority of the player base doesn't want it.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1957445:date=Aug 4 2012, 11:57 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Aug 4 2012, 11:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah but alien com really sucks it's boring to play and the majority of the player base doesn't want it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not your call or mine to have it removed. That's for another topic.
    <!--quoteo(post=1957447:date=Aug 5 2012, 02:03 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Aug 5 2012, 02:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not your call or mine to have it removed. That's for another topic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Of course not but things like alien com is why i don't recommend people to buy NS2...
    I didn't know you can comm with your own res. That's awesome :)
  • plausiblesargeplausiblesarge Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154558Members
    edited August 2012
    Am I the only person in the community who enjoys playing Alien Comm?

And yes, as the commander you can spawn "eggs" at the cost of your own res which allow people to jump inside them and become whatever class the egg was made for for free. So effectively, you can use your own res to buy gorge,lerk,fade,onos for other people
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think their boring with bilebomb back but i could just be too used to ns2 gorging. You can do some interesting stuff with clogs just sayin :p.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    I agree that the gorge needs some more love, but merging him with the role of the khamm is definitively not the way to go.

I really would like to see some sort of skill-based ability so he has a chance to put up a fight against marines
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    edited August 2012
    1 Khammander. 3 Players decide to go gorge. Everyone got a own plan to use the teamres . Round 1....FIGHT!
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957443:date=Aug 4 2012, 10:54 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Aug 4 2012, 10:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957443"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just ask the Alien Comm to get out and let me drop a life form egg if I'm Gorging all game. Makes use of that res for another person who can put the res to better use.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe gorges should be able to buy eggs without jumping into the chair.
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    the alien commander is lame. It would of been so much better if the alien commander was a new alien, like a queen class that only 1 player could evolve into. That queen then builds everything and crawls around on creep. The gorges can then help the queen build stuff aswell as protect the queen. You could then remove cysts from the game and make the queen and gorges able to vomit out infestation on the floors and walls.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1957649:date=Aug 5 2012, 10:33 AM:name=piratedave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (piratedave @ Aug 5 2012, 10:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the alien commander is lame. It would of been so much better if the alien commander was a new alien, like a queen class that only 1 player could evolve into. That queen then builds everything and crawls around on creep. The gorges can then help the queen build stuff aswell as protect the queen. You could then remove cysts from the game and make the queen and gorges able to vomit out infestation on the floors and walls.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Definitively would play that mod if it existed!
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    This entire thread just made me vomit a little in my mouth.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    All the gorge needs in a mini version of the primary chambers to be A LOT more enjoyable (mini crag/shade/shift). they would operate in the same fashion, but to a lesser degree (~50% effectiveness) and the gorge would only get 1-2 of each. Gorge DOES NOT need to be able to spend Tres or drop ANY structures that usually cost Tres. That goes against the very idea of alien kahmmander.

The gorge seems like its going the way of the TF2 engineer. Which is ok i guess, but the engie has A LOT more that he can do besides drop a turret and lol at people. He can make an automated healing bot, and TELEPORTERS. Any combat engineer needs more utility than a way to stop the enemy from moving into an area (eningeers do tend to think outside the box anyway).

I would vote that the gorge can drop a single "evolution chamber" that takes the attributes of the primary structure (crag/shade/shift) as soon as the corresponding hive is researched. This would make the gorge a lot more viable, and keep him useful for longer (apart from bile bomb) since the buffs would scale with the alien Kahmm's research.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Phased to I&S.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957396:date=Aug 4 2012, 10:12 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 4 2012, 10:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->your idea of drawing from team res would make it infinitely easier to troll. at least you can vote to eject the khamm, how are you going to vote kick the gorge that's spamming 10 whips in the first hive?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Give the comm the power to revoke building privileges? Its pretty simple really...