Players to Sacrifice personal Res for Team Res

xDaitenshixDaitenshi Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154718Members
edited August 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
After playing several games one thing in particular stood out to me: if a situation arises where either team's "Resource Collector" is destroyed early game, and said teams does not have enough resources to build another then that team is screwed right off bat.

I understand that this is entirely situational and generally the fault of the players for leaving the base so exposed, but it is a serious bummer when it happens.

What I suggest is letting the Players sacrifice their personal Resources to boost the Teams/Commanders Resources.

For balance and abuse issues I suggest this is only available to be done when the opposing team kills the "harvester" in almost a last hope kind of things. If necessary it can only be done up to the amount that the Harvester Costs or the exchange rate can be 1:2/Pres:Cres

In this case the Team who killed the harvester still has gotten an advantage for destroying it, but it's not so much of an advantage that it ends the game then and there. Short games just aren't fun when they end in that manner.

Share your thoughts!

Comments

• plausiblesargeplausiblesarge Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154558Members
    in A way I wish players could sacrifice 5 Pres for 1 Tres, and commanders could sacrifice 5 Tres for 1 Pres. Thile this is abusable, it means that the alien commander with 150 Tres because he already has all the upgrades and such, can cash that in and finish off an onos egg, although I dont know how balanced that would be, especially for the marines, so my official position is a solid "this should be tested in an internal build"
  • xDaitenshixDaitenshi Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154718Members
    Yeah, My personal opinion follows that of yours, I think it should be just generally transferable. My major worry was the how abuse-able it was
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    By design, these two resources are not transferable. The separation of Tres and Pres was due to each resource being the foundation for very different systems within the game, and are not supposed to influence each other except for where tech timings are concerned. This is why each commander can only use Pres pre-loaded eggs or weapon drops; things which each team's players can normally acquire by themselves.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    On the read of just the topic, I thought, no - way to abusable. Everyone on the team would just donate all their res to the khammander, and bang, instant 2 hive and abilities. But it could be viable if the exchange rate was punitive enough.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957429:date=Aug 5 2012, 02:17 PM:name=DarkOmen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkOmen @ Aug 5 2012, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By design, these two resources are not transferable. The separation of Tres and Pres was due to each resource being the foundation for very different systems within the game, and are not supposed to influence each other except for where tech timings are concerned. This is why each commander can only use Pres pre-loaded eggs or weapon drops; things which each team's players can normally acquire by themselves.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Was one of the best asymmetrical aspects of NS1, enjoyed staying skulk saving up the res to be able to drop the 2nd or 3rd hive for the team
    The fact aliens had only 1 pool (personal) that doubled to cover any team expenses worked really well.

Sadly for the alien comm to work this had to be abandoned as it was no longer feasible (unless all alien things where free for khamm to build).

The idea in OP is interesting, perhaps expanded upon a little.
    Perhaps gorges(or all life forms?) can click on a harvester and donate in blocks of 10.
    With all alien upgrades costing res (ie cara etc) this exposes the aliens by sacrificing tougher lifeforms to perhaps help drop 2nd hive faster.
    I would suggest conversion at 0.4 of p-res value (so max p res 100 = 40 t res (hive cost).
    This would severely set back the individuals ability to get lerk or fade and give his team a small boost.

I actually think this could be kicked around and made into a nice aspect of the alien economy and help address lifeform explosions.
    This would be interesting res sink for aliens, offset ability to go lerk or fade with donating res to help build a couple of whips around your upgrades.
    The staggered arrival of lifeforms in NS1 was due to aliens having viable P-res sinks that helped the team at individual sacrifice. Currently aliens dont have anything other than evolving lifeforms to sink res into.
    So whilst upgrades cost 1 res each, this hardly dents anything and reduces the likely hood of dieing (fewer deaths = less cost to p res).
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957429:date=Aug 4 2012, 10:17 PM:name=DarkOmen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkOmen @ Aug 4 2012, 10:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By design, these two resources are not transferable. The separation of Tres and Pres was due to each resource being the foundation for very different systems within the game, and are not supposed to influence each other except for where tech timings are concerned. This is why each commander can only use Pres pre-loaded eggs or weapon drops; things which each team's players can normally acquire by themselves.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    On the topic: I dont think it's worth to change such basic dynamics like transfering pRes to tRes just for the case that the base-rt gets destroyed. This should be a really rare case and if it happens the team probably deserves to loose.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is why each commander can only use Pres pre-loaded eggs or weapon drops; things which each team's players can normally acquire by themselves.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't agree on this and don't see a problem with the comm getting lifeforms/weapons with tRes, seeing how it is just another form of strategy he's trying to accomplish.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    For the very situational problem of becoming res locked (and it is a problem), i would suggest that the first (that is, from 0 to 1) extractor be free on both sides. No team can win on 1 extractor, and no team likes losing due to being res locked. 1 free rt wont cause THAT many balance issues because 1 rt total will not win the game.

I do not think Tres and Pres should EVER be interchangable in any way. It defeats the purpose of having a personal res pool at all.

I've played a few games where marines sniped down base rt, right after Kahmm upgraded hive and cara (or other ups) and was left with 8 res and no harvesters. At the same time, the 2 close rts went down. Primarily this happens in the first few minuets of the game. Granted this is due to the aliens not defending properly, but it then took an additional 10 min for marines to get into the hive and take it down (probobly because they didnt have any tech either). The teams were evenly matched and aliens might have been able to come back, but instead were waiting to die in base for 10 min due to being res locked (especially without the option to recycle something)
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957643:date=Aug 5 2012, 10:18 AM:name=crypt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crypt @ Aug 5 2012, 10:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't agree on this and don't see a problem with the comm getting lifeforms/weapons with tRes, seeing how it is just another form of strategy he's trying to accomplish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's done this way, because commanders could just swap positions with other players and evolve to Onos / litter the ground with mass weapons from their rich pockets anyway. Without this, there would be a "right time" for an alien Khamm to jump out of the chair and evolve to Onos every single game (this used to be the case). IMO, the proper solution would be to just remove Pres income for commanders while in the chair, but that's just me.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    If you get reslocked it's your and the alien commander's fault. You don't need workaround mechanics to alleviate a problem which is directly caused by the players themselves. If getting res locked is such an issue that you think it warrants intervention by the devlopers then simply save 10 tres that you never spend. Drop hives at 50 tres. Drop cysts at 11 tres.

If you always have 10 backup tres, you don't need ridiculous mechanics like this put into the game. You can fix your own problem, so go ahead and fix it.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957824:date=Aug 5 2012, 04:35 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Aug 5 2012, 04:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you get reslocked it's your and the alien commander's fault. You don't need workaround mechanics to alleviate a problem which is directly caused by the players themselves. If getting res locked is such an issue that you think it warrants intervention by the devlopers then simply save 10 tres that you never spend. Drop hives at 50 tres. Drop cysts at 11 tres.

If you always have 10 backup tres, you don't need ridiculous mechanics like this put into the game. You can fix your own problem, so go ahead and fix it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well where i understand it's the Commanders fault it's almost saying it's okay to punish the rest of the players for the commanders total negligence or ignorance. I personally think it would be more fun overall if there was a Chance, however small, that an early rush to kill an extractor can be recovered from if a reslock happens. Even if you say "just kick the commander and wait till next game" or anything of the sort; it's still no fun to lose due to early rush. While i may be suggesting a specific method, basically i just wish the players have more influence when the situation arises.

Yes, a good Com/player will prevent this from happening. Yes, it is due to the Com/player's negligence. Yes it can be easily avoided.

But I'm sure mostly everyone will agree it's just not fun to lose so quickly or win so quickly. I'm trying to search for a way to enable games to last and keep going and develop into "good games", especially since in Pub games not every commander will be as stellar as people want them to be.

<!--quoteo(post=1957758:date=Aug 5 2012, 03:00 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Aug 5 2012, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957758"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For the very situational problem of becoming res locked (and it is a problem), i would suggest that the first (that is, from 0 to 1) extractor be free on both sides. No team can win on 1 extractor, and no team likes losing due to being res locked. 1 free rt wont cause THAT many balance issues because 1 rt total will not win the game.

I do not think Tres and Pres should EVER be interchangable in any way. It defeats the purpose of having a personal res pool at all.

I've played a few games where marines sniped down base rt, right after Kahmm upgraded hive and cara (or other ups) and was left with 8 res and no harvesters. At the same time, the 2 close rts went down. Primarily this happens in the first few minuets of the game. Granted this is due to the aliens not defending properly, but it then took an additional 10 min for marines to get into the hive and take it down (probobly because they didnt have any tech either). The teams were evenly matched and aliens might have been able to come back, but instead were waiting to die in base for 10 min due to being res locked (especially without the option to recycle something)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is the exact situation I'm talking about. I want to avoid those "Hopeless" situations unless they're well fought for.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1957978:date=Aug 5 2012, 08:56 PM:name=xDaitenshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDaitenshi @ Aug 5 2012, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well where i understand it's the Commanders fault it's almost saying it's okay to punish the rest of the players for the commanders total negligence or ignorance. I personally think it would be more fun overall if there was a Chance, however small, that an early rush to kill an extractor can be recovered from if a reslock happens. Even if you say "just kick the commander and wait till next game" or anything of the sort; it's still no fun to lose due to early rush. While i may be suggesting a specific method, basically i just wish the players have more influence when the situation arises.

Yes, a good Com/player will prevent this from happening. Yes, it is due to the Com/player's negligence. Yes it can be easily avoided.

But I'm sure mostly everyone will agree it's just not fun to lose so quickly or win so quickly. I'm trying to search for a way to enable games to last and keep going and develop into "good games", especially since in Pub games not every commander will be as stellar as people want them to be.

This is the exact situation I'm talking about. I want to avoid those "Hopeless" situations unless they're well fought for.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a team game, if you make mistakes then yes it should affect your team.

I can't imagine how in any game if you can't protect any of your rts and you get reslocked early on, how that would ever turn into a "good game" by getting enough res to drop another rt.

As for Benson's example, if your team is "evenly matched" how do you lose 3 rts simultaneously? And with that type of defending, how could you ever hope to have one more rt help you win?
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1957429:date=Aug 4 2012, 10:17 PM:name=DarkOmen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkOmen @ Aug 4 2012, 10:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By design, these two resources are not transferable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Patent nonsense. They have different scaling rules, but that just means 1 T-res turns into 1 P-res for each player, easy.

Separating T-res and P-res is a cure worse than the disease. There is no way to go lean on the weapons and lifeforms and expand really fast; there is no way to get weapons and push really hard and expand slowly behind it; there needs to be.

You can solve this pretty easily. Just give the comm all the resources as T-res and allow the comm to convert 1 T-res into 1 P-res per player; you can have a "wage slider" that determines the resource split between T-res and P-res, or you can have the comm push a button on the UI and dole out resources directly or you can have setting on res nodes which determines if they extract T-res or P-res.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957980:date=Aug 6 2012, 12:13 AM:name={GGs} Chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({GGs} Chicken @ Aug 6 2012, 12:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a team game, if you make mistakes then yes it should affect your team.

I can't imagine how in any game if you can't protect any of your rts and you get reslocked early on, how that would ever turn into a "good game" by getting enough res to drop another rt.

As for Benson's example, if your team is "evenly matched" how do you lose 3 rts simultaneously? And with that type of defending, how could you ever hope to have one more rt help you win?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The situation i specifically want to fix is the early rush reslock. Once someone has that issue they can learn to defend better instead of having to face defeat so soon. Goodness it's like all these people are horrible at optimism. Which is what this idea essentially relies on. The Chance or Hope that the issue can be corrected and the team adjusts itself properly.

As for it affecting the team it still will, those early resources are valuable and need to be used properly early game. That chunk of resources lost for rebuilding an rts. I specifically want this just for the 0 to 1 Rts.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1958019:date=Aug 6 2012, 04:44 AM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Aug 6 2012, 04:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958019"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Patent nonsense. They have different scaling rules, but that just means 1 T-res turns into 1 P-res for each player, easy.

Separating T-res and P-res is a cure worse than the disease. There is no way to go lean on the weapons and lifeforms and expand really fast; there is no way to get weapons and push really hard and expand slowly behind it; there needs to be.

You can solve this pretty easily. Just give the comm all the resources as T-res and allow the comm to convert 1 T-res into 1 P-res per player; you can have a "wage slider" that determines the resource split between T-res and P-res, or you can have the comm push a button on the UI and dole out resources directly or you can have setting on res nodes which determines if they extract T-res or P-res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

10 points to hufflepuff for suggesting to change the game to be more like NS1 without mentioning NS1!