Norwegian Translation

ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
edited August 2012 in Translation
<div class="IPBDescription">Norwegian translation of NS2</div>I'm currently doing my best to translate to Norwegian language. I've contributed with something close to 30% of the language so far, and hope more Norwegians at least will contribute voting if not translating also. I see lots of votes missing around the middle. Seems like people start at bottom or top, then scroll down or up, before they give up because there's simply so much to scroll through. This leaves as said an empty hole in the middle of the translation, so please scroll through the whole thing and help vote at least. Thanks!

Comments

• MikrostormMikrostorm Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154608Members
    gone trough around 10% now, working on it :) Norwegian that is!

-Mikrostorm
  • kevad95kevad95 Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154607Members
    I would love to help but am a litle bit unsure were to find this list, with some help finding it will go trough it all to help you.
  • CrabfruitCrabfruit Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154646Members
    I'm also going through a lot of the strings and adding translations where I feel there's needs for a better string, or where there's anything lacking. Also upvoting the already excisting translations that fits and downvoting the ones that aren't as good.

kevad95: Here's the translation page. You might need to register there to be able to read and write <a href="http://translate.unknownworlds.com/?module=admin&sm=translation&lid=10" target="_blank">http://translate.unknownworlds.com/?module...tion&lid=10</a>
  • CrabfruitCrabfruit Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154646Members
    Here's a question that should be answered and defined when we're translating. Should we translate all the strings into Norwegian, even unit-names and so? The other possibility would be to fully translate "tooltips" while letting object/unit-names be English in all other text-boxes.

The problem with not deciding on this early is that we'll have a possible outcome of a very mixed translation, some English words, some Norwegian words, in both tooltips and descriptions. The guidelines say this: <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You SHOULD NOT TRANSLATE anything vital to the communication of the game, like structure names, alien names, abilities, upgrades, etc. A way to discover if something is translatable or not is asking yourself: "Will people using different translations be able to communicate what's the game status or request something?". For example, if you joined a spanish server and read "Tienen Hive en Data Core, han puesto Shades, tendrán Celerity en cualquier momento", you may not know exactly what is being said, but you can tell what is going on, as "Hive", "Shade" and "Celerity" will be (or should be) the same in all translations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would say we should follow this when we translate - and we should go over the strings already translated and edit it to reflect this. Also, do we have a community-chosen admin who's actively following the additions in the Norwegian translation?
  • tankefugltankefugl One Script To Rule Them All... Trondheim, Norway Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8641Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'll aid the translation!

The guidelines Crabfruit mentioned should be followed, although we should probably expand on that a bit:

Alien lifeform names, such as Skulk, Fade etc., upgrades and abilities, and structure names should be conserved by the guideline example. But what about terms such as Commander, (Kommandør), Armory (Arsenal or Våpenarsenal) and Shotgun (Hagle)?

Once we actually have an overview of what should be translated and what should not, the task should be easier, and likely more focused on making the sentences norwegian in structure rather than norwegian words with an english structure.

=)
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    "You SHOULD NOT TRANSLATE anything vital to the communication of the game, like structure names, alien names, abilities, upgrades, etc."

I vote for keeping English words on names vital for communication. If we use "Shotgun" instead of "Hagle" then people saying "SG" will understand it's a "Shotgun".
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1956595:date=Aug 3 2012, 10:03 PM:name=Thrillseeker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thrillseeker @ Aug 3 2012, 10:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956595"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"You SHOULD NOT TRANSLATE anything vital to the communication of the game, like structure names, alien names, abilities, upgrades, etc."

I vote for keeping English words on names vital for communication. If we use "Shotgun" instead of "Hagle" then people saying "SG" will understand it's a "Shotgun".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I totaly agree with this, names structures etc should have the same names as in english.
  • tankefugltankefugl One Script To Rule Them All... Trondheim, Norway Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8641Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Excellent! Let's go for that, then!

A follow-up question: How should we deal with plurals? "Fades" vs. "Fader", "Skulks" vs. "Skulker"? It doesn't show up that much but it looks a bit cringe-worthy either way. I am leaning towards the norwegian plural suffix "-er" though.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1956869:date=Aug 4 2012, 08:21 AM:name=tankefugl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tankefugl @ Aug 4 2012, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956869"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Excellent! Let's go for that, then!

A follow-up question: How should we deal with plurals? "Fades" vs. "Fader", "Skulks" vs. "Skulker"? It doesn't show up that much but it looks a bit cringe-worthy either way. I am leaning towards the norwegian plural suffix "-er" though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Onos is not a verb so I would rather vote for "går Onos" than "Onoser" (which really isn't a word, because Onos ain't a verb). Onos is character name, but having said that, NS1 treat the name also as a verb, when they use words like "Onosing", so I do understand if people want to say "Onoser" but in the end it's not correct. Should be "goes Onos" / "going Onos" in NS1 as well instead of "Onosing" which is so wrong.

That's like saying: "Thrillseeking" if I was to be a character name ... "going Thrillseeker" would be much more correct, even if this is a bad example you get the point.

Sorry if I'm ###### here, but seeing UWE using words like "Onosing" I don't see why we could not use "Onoser". I just personally don't support it, but I can live very well with this solution as well ;)
    Don't apologise, Thrillseeker. It's important to weight in viewpoints and opinions, in particular as constructive as yours.

I agree with you completely on your point regarding "går Onos" vs. "Onoser" as a verb. However, I was actually speaking of plural: Multiples of Onos such as "En onos", "flere Onoser", "alle Onosene" etc.!

For example, let's look at the sentence: "Allows Skulks to self-destruct, damaging nearby enemies". I'd say that this should translate to "Lar Skulker selvdestruere og skade fiender nær seg" or something similar.
    <!--quoteo(post=1956902:date=Aug 4 2012, 11:44 AM:name=tankefugl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tankefugl @ Aug 4 2012, 11:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For example, let's look at the sentence: "Allows Skulks to self-destruct, damaging nearby enemies". I'd say that this should translate to "Lar Skulker selvdestruere og skade fiender nær seg" or something similar.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ever tryed translating Dutch into Norwegian? If you do that you can't say it streight forward you have add exstra words etc. to get it correct.

Exsample: "Lar din Skulk selvdestruere og skade fiender nær seg" (or something like that)

What do you guys think?
    edited August 2012
    @tankeful: Yes, It actually seems like i misunderstood you the first time :) Too quick to reply there. I think it's a bad culture (if i can use these words) to put "-er" "-ene" on everything without thinking what you really put them on. It's just a too common solution for most people, i think, simply because of lack of alternatives. I'm struggling myself to find an alternative solution to avoid the "-er" "-ene" etc. but since this is not only a name, it's also a race, I guess you are right, maybe it should be used like you propose. As said, I'm out of ideas when it comes to this. I'm so hang up in the "name" but i also forget we talk about a "race" here. Onos is firstly a race (or sub-race of aliens) (if you ask me), but also a name.

@kevada95: I also agree that translating word for word from English to Norwegian will make less sense in some situations, than actually rearranging the whole sentence, so it becomes proper Norwegian. I think people should not be afraid rearrange the sentences (even add and remove words) if the end product of that sentence makes more sense / is more understandable in Norwegian.
    I like your take on the sentence, kevad95.

The swedish translation thread had some good points. I'll just paste my reply to that thread below.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the approach of using swedish names in the descriptions only, while keeping english for the titles. We might simply adopt that in the norwegian translation as well.

An idea, unless it bloats too much, might be adding both terms in the descriptions. A tooltip like "Allows welders to be purchased at the armory" could have something like "Tillater kjøp av sveiseaparat (Welder) fra våpenarsenalet (Armory)" and its swedish equivalent.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957111:date=Aug 4 2012, 04:45 PM:name=tankefugl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tankefugl @ Aug 4 2012, 04:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957111"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like your take on the sentence, kevad95.

The swedish translation thread had some good points. I'll just paste my reply to that thread below.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Brilliant idea to have english names locked in like "(Welder)". I vote for this.

We should have an admin so that we at least can start approving those translations with most votes. Also, so we can start editing:

"Oppgrader til Avansert Arsenal" [ 16p. / good / bad ]

to:

"Oppgrader til Avansert Arsenal (Advanced Armory)" [ 16p. / good / bad ]

If admin gets edit access too this could be done. But of course, first we got to agree if this is the approach we want.
    edited August 2012
    I have admin, so I'll get on approving and editing things tomorrow morning!
    edited August 2012
    Cool, get that progress bar up from 0%! ;) Deleted some of my outvoted translation to make it more clean.
    Went through the list and approved the obvious ones from our discussion here, so we're at 15% now! I'll go through it again later.
  • WololoWololo Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155037Members
    edited August 2012
    How do we decide when to use parentheses and when to avoid them? Why do some approved translations use them while others do not?

"Harvester under angrep"
    "Hive er ferdigbygget"

Men så:

"Redet (Hive) dør"
    "Redet (Hive) under angrep"

Furthermore, if we're using parentheses, should we translate every name this way? Should we find alternatives to Skulk, Gorge etc and then put the original in parentheses? After all these names make perfect sense as words in English. What about abilities? Should it be "Adrenalinsporer (Adrenaline Spurs)"? What about "Lerk (Lerk)"? "Skulk (Skulk)? To be honest I think it might get a bit messy doing it this way. We wouldn't want the entire screen filled up by alternatives. It would be great though if we could agree on one approach and only approve translations that follow it. Personally I think we should leave parentheses out altogether like every other translation I looked at has (German, French, Swedish) and simply leave names untranslated.

There are also stylistic issues: Should "Gorge building Harvester" be "Gorge bygger Harvester" or the currently approved "En Gorge bygger en Harvester"? The latter is basically "A Gorge is building a Harvester", which they chose not to write because it (like its direct Norwegian translation) is drawn out and awkward. This is not an isolated example, and in my opinion it would be better to cut some of the "en" and "-en" just like they cut "a" and "the".

I'd also like to see structures translated as "strukturer" across the board, since "bygninger" is simply wrong. Alien structures and most marine structures are no more "bygninger" than "høyspentmaster", "statuer", "murer" and "trafikklys" are.

Another problem I found is how armor is translated differently in different places. "Armor", "beskyttelse", and "rustning" were all approved in different places, and "panser" also seems popular.

Finally, I think "utvikle" is used a bit too much, as it currently translates "spawn", "research" AND "evolve" all at once. The problem is that the alternatives I can think of tend to be a bit awkward.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Good stuff guys! Will go through the rest of the list and maybe add in things later, but I really don't have the time until in a couple of weeks!
    <!--quoteo(post=1959150:date=Aug 8 2012, 03:50 PM:name=Wololo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wololo @ Aug 8 2012, 03:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How do we decide when to use parentheses and when to avoid them? Why do some approved translations use them while others do not?

"Harvester under angrep"
    "Hive er ferdigbygget"

Men så:

"Redet (Hive) dør"
    "Redet (Hive) under angrep"

Furthermore, if we're using parentheses, should we translate every name this way? Should we find alternatives to Skulk, Gorge etc and then put the original in parentheses? After all these names make perfect sense as words in English. What about abilities? Should it be "Adrenalinsporer (Adrenaline Spurs)"? What about "Lerk (Lerk)"? "Skulk (Skulk)? To be honest I think it might get a bit messy doing it this way. We wouldn't want the entire screen filled up by alternatives. It would be great though if we could agree on one approach and only approve translations that follow it. Personally I think we should leave parentheses out altogether like every other translation I looked at has (German, French, Swedish) and simply leave names untranslated.

There are also stylistic issues: Should "Gorge building Harvester" be "Gorge bygger Harvester" or the currently approved "En Gorge bygger en Harvester"? The latter is basically "A Gorge is building a Harvester", which they chose not to write because it (like its direct Norwegian translation) is drawn out and awkward. This is not an isolated example, and in my opinion it would be better to cut some of the "en" and "-en" just like they cut "a" and "the".

I'd also like to see structures translated as "strukturer" across the board, since "bygninger" is simply wrong. Alien structures and most marine structures are no more "bygninger" than "høyspentmaster", "statuer", "murer" and "trafikklys" are.

Another problem I found is how armor is translated differently in different places. "Armor", "beskyttelse", and "rustning" were all approved in different places, and "panser" also seems popular.

Finally, I think "utvikle" is used a bit too much, as it currently translates "spawn", "research" AND "evolve" all at once. The problem is that the alternatives I can think of tend to be a bit awkward.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great feedback and observations, I must confess I agree on all points. I've been too quick on approving some of the strings (and approving some of my own without allowing for feedback), so I'll backtrack a bit with your thoughts in mind!
    Well, if we're not using the parentheses we might as well go back to a 100% Norwegian translation (No English words at all except from characters like "Lerk" etc. - which is really a "name and should not be translated anyway in any language). The reason we first put up the parentheses was to give better understanding and communication between international player. Having said that, I totally agree with you in your points, this is not an easy task really - to come to a proper agreement on how this should be done. It's very important that words like "armor" "rustning" "panser" don't get approved all at once. Admin must decide which one to use, and stay true to the word he want to replace in this example "armor" with. I think community should decide this, as of now, "rustning" is the most voted word so I don't see any reason to go against what the community wants. If we do this on every word, let the community decide, then "force" the most voted words in all sentences, we won't have this issue.

Example: Translate "Armor"
    - Rustning 22 votes
    - Panser 10 votes
    - Armor 4 votes

Example: Translate "Your armor is weakened"
    - Din armor er svekket. 9 votes
    - Ditt panser er svekket. 12 votes
    - Din rustning er svekket. 10 votes

This is really realistic, you sometimes see this example. In case #1, we have a clear winner. In case #2, the clear winner in case #1 is not the winner, but still close to the winner of case #1. I think that admins should force the word "rustning" on ALL sentences if this got most votes in the "basic translation (case #1)" even if it doesn't got the most voted in other translations (case #2). I'm bad to explain, hope you guys got me.
    edited August 2012
    I'm granted admin now. Should we skip the parentheses and go for pure Norwegian translation, and let the community itself vote for the translation they want (most votes get approved), or should we discuss this further? Need to coordinate this with you guys and tankefugl (admin). Doesn't look like people vote for the entries with parentheses... and people also seem to like to translate "attacks" "abilities" etc even though guidelines say this should not be translated. For example "Bile bomb" has a great translation "Gallebombe", it's really sad if entries like this should go to waste. What's your opinion on this? I personally vote for translating everything except: Lerk, Onos, Gorge, Fade, Skulk, Alien(s), Marine(s), Jetpack, Heavy. If anyone have a good translation to "Jetpack" and "Heavy" I'd vote for translating these as well.
    edited August 2012
    Since I'm getting no response here, I've now removed the parentheses as suggested because this will be too messy. I have also tried to be as fair as possible by letting the community decide which translations to used, and applied these sentences where needed. For examle "armor" has been translated to "rustning", so all future sentences containing "armor" will be <b>forced</b>-translated to "rustning" so we don't end up with duplicates of same translation (as explained in a post above). I have deleted many entries to match up all translations to avoid duplicates. The list should be way less now, and I really hope you guys now could go and vote for entries so i can shorten the list even more. Shorter list --> more people vote :). I did a solo-run on this now, as no response was given in this thread, and if someone totally disagree with the changes made, this can be corrected.

1. Lerk, Onos, Gorge, Fade, Skulk, Alien(s), Marine(s), Jetpack, Heavy <b>have not been translated</b>.
    2. Attacks, structures etc. <b>have been translated</b>, as far as translation is possible. (the reason I chose to go for translation here is because the community came up with such great alternative names, and to drop these would be such a waste in my opinion)

Vote, vote vote! :D
  • NorzoneNorzone Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170649Members
    Come on guys, we need to get that translation done.