Alien upgrades are too easy to snipe

ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
I just played a few games where a single marine (the same guy too, damned annoying) was able to sneak into our base and kill the majority of our upgrades before we were able to get there. We (or at least I) responded immediately but the structures are just too damn squishy.

This would be slightly okay if aliens were able to do the same thing to marines, but they cant. I know someone is gonna come in here and say "two gorges with bilebomb can rush in there and maybe get a structure down!". But theres a difference between two people needing to cooperate AND spend pres in order to MAYBE take down the arms lab and one marine rushing up to the structure for free and taking it out while the alien team is busy elsewhere.

Even if those gorges did get the arms lab down, its an extremely simple matter to just build it back up and get your upgrades back. It's much more costly for the aliens to have to constantly replace their upgrades when they can be sniped so easily.

If the marines had to go through a similar ordeal to get their upgrades back perhaps it might be worth it to snipe the arms lab.

tl;dr its not fair that a single marine can be so detrimental to the alien team's progress over and over again when the aliens have to cooperate AND INVEST heavily in order to MAYBE temporarily set the marines back.

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    This will be addressed in Build 216 according to <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119435&st=100&p=1954110&#entry1954110" target="_blank">Charlie's post</a>. Meanwhile, placing Shell/Veil/Spur near a Shade should buy your team sometime before the rambo requests a scan!
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2012
    Was it me? :> Anyways it all comes down to scouting as aliens and that's what public is lacking and ramboing in public is just something that people just tend to do as marines which leads to something like this but in a pcw it's not viable almost ever and if someone does that and gets your shell or spur your scout has been awful and you deserve to lose it so it's fair.

However I feel like aliens need to be able to do this to marines too but it'll create really problematic scenario where one or two skulks can just keep marines tied in their base and they can't move anywhere so it'll be really tricky and hard to balance this thing out and I'm not sure is this really even a problem to be honest, it's just how public works; it just lacks and will always lack teamplay because people don't take it that seriously.

tl;dr it all comes down that people don't scout or teamplay that well on public so ninjas will get into your hive and do that when in pcw ninjaing isn't viable tactic almost ever because you'll be spotted and if not you deserve to be able to take aliens upgrade down.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    This frustration comes from not defending or hiding your upgrades sufficiently.

As a khammander, if you are not requesting your team to be in defending distance of your hive(s), then you need to devote some Team Resources to setting up static defenses.

Obviously, whips are an excellent option here: parking a few of these around your upgrades will make it that much harder for a marine to cozy up to a shell/veil/spur and axe it to death. As well, they can't just lob grenades in. Flamethrowers and arcs however, are a different problem.

Shades are a must, as they will make it a lot harder for a marine to locate your upgrade structures. I have taken to dropping my structures outside of the hive, counting on marines to assume they are there and to either hunt around for them or rely on commander scans to find them. Plus if you use shades, you can disable arc attacks that use scans for targetting.

Becoming a gorge as a khammander is a really good idea - it means you can drop some hydras in the hive for additional static defense, as well as put clogs around your upgrade structures.

Redundancy is also a good strategy - especially if you are swimming in Team resources. Drop additional upgrade structures across your hives and evolve them at will. Too often khammanders evolve the carapace shell and figure that's job well done and forget about it.

Finally, though I haven't done this myself, you can always use the shift's echo ability to transport structures from one part of the map to another. So if you are watching helplessly as a marine saunters into the base to kill your upgrades (again) you can *ZOINK* them to another part of the map.

To conclude - the khammander is far from helpless in protecting the upgrade structures.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    The shift seems to have many options available for protecting against attacks like these. I wasn't commanding these games so perhaps there was more our commander could have done.

Still going for shift first means giving up cara or regen or adrenaline for the far less useful camo or the (perhaps more useful but not as useful as cara/regen) feign death.

Increasing upgrade structure health would make it so you don't have to nerf the marines to balance this, everyone is happy except the rambo getting away with killing structures all the time.

Supsu would you mind linking a video showing a scout keeping an upgrade structure from being killed? I understand the concept I'm just having a hard time imagining the execution actually working.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Personally I think this mechanic is applied backwards. It should be marines who lose upgrades by the destruction of their technology. not a lifeform that has aquired a biological evolution. It just seems more intuitive if this game mechanic was the other way around.

Players spawning in should be the only ones effected by this upgrade loss too. Otherwise it's like a hidden modifier.
    <!--quoteo(post=1955462:date=Jul 31 2012, 10:18 PM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Jul 31 2012, 10:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The shift seems to have many options available for protecting against attacks like these. I wasn't commanding these games so perhaps there was more our commander could have done. Still going for shift first means giving up cara or regen or adrenaline for the far less useful camo or the (perhaps more useful but not as useful as cara/regen) feign death.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sure you mean the Shade hive, which allows for development of camoflague, silence and feign death. I think silence is highly underrated - it's a great ability, even into middle game. That said, I realize that many players insist that "you can't win games without carapace or regeneration."

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Increasing upgrade structure health would make it so you don't have to nerf the marines to balance this, everyone is happy except the rambo getting away with killing structures all the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the balance is right, actually - it's a real incentive to protect your hive, and a lesson that all khammanders must learn.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Supsu would you mind linking a video showing a scout keeping an upgrade structure from being killed? I understand the concept I'm just having a hard time imagining the execution actually working.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think he's talking about drifters, I think he is actually suggesting that players acting as scouts inform the khammander of imminent threats.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    edited August 2012
    Drifter is a good keyword. I haven't seen many comms using them since you don't get 3 for free. They are not that expansive and if you place them around the hive, you have a good early warning system. I just whish I could place them inside a vent (like warehouse). And if you have a lot of res, just build a small drifter army (4-7) and attack lone marines. They can deal some damage but the bet part is, he won't be thinking on attacking the upgrades while he is attacked (at least if the upgrade isn't almost down yet). That can buy you the time you need to get your team to kill him. I am using this for protecting well known sneak pg places and it worked well - at least as long as the drifters aren't getting stuck on top of some walls!

Oh and I can't say it enough, if you are a comm and you are in the hive watching someone destroying the upgrades next to it, burn in hell! ;) Alien comms can't beacon, so they should get out and protect the hive area. I don't know how many times I got killed by rines in a hive that I would leave almost dead and the comm was just watching me and the upgrades die from above instead of jumping out and finishing them/supporting me!
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Maybe armslab could be weaker to make it easier for skulk or two to focus it down.

For alien structures getting sniped;

As a commander:
    use foresight
    use drifters
    listen to your enemies moving on the map
    jump out of the hive to defend if someone still manages to get into your hiveroom

As alien player:
    Scout the map where no other aliens are
    use parasite
    communicate early when you spot something

Theres 2-3 routes into your hiveroom, and one of them usually being the only realistic choice for someone to get there. If you dont scout that you deserve to lose the structures.

Scouting is so basics, you need to know what your enemy is up to, so you can try and respond to it before its too late.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    become a gorge as the comm, place clogs all over your upgrade structures and place hydras by them (or by a chokepoint in which the marines get in)...profit?
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    Just remove that upgradebuildings from Aliens. Make those upgrades directly researchable in the hives. Shadeupgrades in shadehive etc. . If the shadehive dies -> all shadeupgrades lost.

Sounds better for me. This will prevent upgradesniping.
    <!--quoteo(post=1955521:date=Aug 1 2012, 05:09 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Aug 1 2012, 05:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->become a gorge as the comm, place clogs all over your upgrade structures and place hydras by them (or by a chokepoint in which the marines get in)...profit?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've seen you do that, and it makes a lot of sense, but I've found that when I do it those sneaky marines still find a way to sneak in. Also takes so long to get it done right, by the time I get it set up reasonably well I have 50 Team Resources waiting to be used...
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1955538:date=Aug 1 2012, 07:42 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Aug 1 2012, 07:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955538"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've seen you do that, and it makes a lot of sense, but I've found that when I do it those sneaky marines still find a way to sneak in. Also takes so long to get it done right, by the time I get it set up reasonably well I have 50 Team Resources waiting to be used...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed, I think it should be easier to use Clogs as a "building defender" or outer shell or something. Clogs don't really do anything but block atm, and it seems a bit short sighted to leave them to such a simple task when <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118513" target="_blank">just a few tweaks</a> would help them be so much more useful.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    A marine "sneaks in" to your base.

Build a couple drifters. Problem solved for 3-9 tres!
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited August 2012
    My general comm build order is 2 RTs-> 2nd Hive -> Leap research. There's sizable time frames to hop out and go gorge/setup hydras in anticipation of the crag/cara research that comes next.

And it's not soley the comm's job to make sure the upgrade structures don't die- it's really a team responsibility. It<i> is</i> sort of like your main base and if marines are getting in there often and long enough to kill your tech structures over and over again then I'd think the structure survivability is the least of your problems.

Things that contribute to the upgrade structures getting sniped:

-Absent minded gorges - place hydras in key chokepoints to make it much more difficult for rines' to get anywhere near your main hive, and make sure to heal any damage from previous assaults so that stuff is not just sitting there in a weakened state when/if those marines make it back for round2+. I see a lot of gorges just build sand castles as close to the marine base as they can and ignore what is going on everywhere else in the map. If the marines keep sneaking in through north tunnels, move the sand castle there!

-Absent mined skulk play - you should be scouting for marines and if you notice they are gunning for your upgrades then at least 1 skulk should probably dedicate his existence to making that marines attempts fail miserabley

-Drifters - as people said above even just making one drifter and putting it in a key location to scout your weak/less active half of the map for rambo/james bond rines trying to sneak in the back door can be a massive help. Drifters are a great early warning system for anything, really- PGs, surprise marines pushes, RT harassment etc. Really under rated and under used in the early game.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not the structure itself that is problematic or too weak/snipable but the mentality of teamwork and strategy that is lacking on the alien team. Sniping upgrades is something that is completely preventable and it punishes an alien team for sloppy play imo. It is basic strategy- either you respond to marine attempts to snipe your tech structures or you don't and get punished for it over and over again. I don't see the problem with this- the answer should not be "well buff the shell and make it unsnipable". =P
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the answer should not be "well buff the shell and make it unsnipable"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I think ppl need to think out side the box. Don't place them in the same place everyone else does. Clog them, or put 2 whips around them like i do. I get so upset when i read threads. So many people are just bad, and are trying to get thing fixed that don't need fixing. The case is there just bad. And im not even that great of a player. This thread the gorge bile bomb thread, and many more. Why is this stuff never a issue when i comm or play?
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    You can to diffent things against rambo marines. All discussed here before, there is no need for an buff on upgrade hp or armor.

- place drifter at hotspots
    - go gorge and build some cloqs around your upgrades
    - build a whipe beside the upgrades
    - if an upgrade goes down, dont build a new one @ the same spot
    - if an marine comes to hive again and again, told that to your team so they can scout the routes morew

But the most important thing are the drifters.
  • DethGauntDethGaunt Join Date: 2003-06-02 Member: 16938Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1955557:date=Aug 1 2012, 12:47 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Aug 1 2012, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955557"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think ppl need to think out side the box. Don't place them in the same place everyone else does. Clog them, or put 2 whips around them like i do. I get so upset when i read threads. So many people are just bad, and are trying to get thing fixed that don't need fixing. The case is there just bad. And im not even that great of a player. This thread the gorge bile bomb thread, and many more. Why is this stuff never a issue when i comm or play?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^^ agreed 100%. Concerns me that a lot of the feedback UWE are getting is from these whines.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    I understand that there are things aliens can do to protect their structures and that SORT OF understand that simply buffing the survivability of the structure itself would be a bad thing.

What saddens me is that marines don't have to worry about their structures getting sniped. No effort on their part has to be made. The only argument for making alien upgrade structures unsnipable is the fact that marine structures are nigh unsnipable. And if they are sniped it's a relatively painless fix.
    <!--quoteo(post=1955604:date=Aug 1 2012, 02:37 PM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Aug 1 2012, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I understand that there are things aliens can do to protect their structures and that SORT OF understand that simply buffing the survivability of the structure itself would be a bad thing.

What saddens me is that marines don't have to worry about their structures getting sniped. No effort on their part has to be made. The only argument for making alien upgrade structures unsnipable is the fact that marine structures are nigh unsnipable. And if they are sniped it's a relatively painless fix.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Id say not true. Ive solo'd arm labs many time by my self. Just lack of teamwork.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Imagine an gorge on an suicide mission with bilebomb, cara and adrenalin.

He can "snipe" a base alone in the right moment.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    At least aliens HAVE a viable static defense option (whips, hydras). Marines really don't have any way to defend territory short of a player being there.

But then, this is will be just another case of experienced players saying "everything is alright, you're just bad" (seen that used as an argument far too many times, without giving any real reasons)

Granted that this is kind of true in this case, there are many ways to protect your upgrades as aliens
    <!--quoteo(post=1955654:date=Aug 1 2012, 05:16 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Aug 1 2012, 05:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At least aliens HAVE a viable static defense option (whips, hydras). Marines really don't have any way to defend territory short of a player being there.

But then, this is will be just another case of experienced players saying "everything is alright, you're just bad" (seen that used as an argument far too many times, without giving any real reasons)

Granted that this is kind of true in this case, there are many ways to protect your upgrades as aliens<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Beacon, phase gates, mines?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Chamber placement is one of those things I see many alien comms do poorly, which is why they get sniped. There are a multitude of solutions already in-game that include
    - Placing chambers in uncommon/difficult to reach locations (think vents, corners, behind props, etc)
    - Covering chambers in clogs
    - General defenses (whips/hydras) near the chamber
    - Placing it behind the hive so you can jump out and defend easily
    - Shade cloak
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I'm immensely amused that there's another thread started by Benson complaining about how a Solo bile bomb gorge can wreck the Marine Base.

Granted, Aliens require their tech structures to mature properly. Marines rebuild and regain their abilities. So the loss of Alien Tech is a bigger deal. But the fact both sides are complaining is way too amusing.
  • darkfictiondarkfiction Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75677Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1955464:date=Aug 1 2012, 03:20 AM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ Aug 1 2012, 03:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955464"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally I think this mechanic is applied backwards. It should be marines who lose upgrades by the destruction of their technology. not a lifeform that has aquired a biological evolution. It just seems more intuitive if this game mechanic was the other way around.

Players spawning in should be the only ones effected by this upgrade loss too. Otherwise it's like a hidden modifier.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this idea.
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1955464:date=Aug 1 2012, 05:20 AM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ Aug 1 2012, 05:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955464"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally I think this mechanic is applied backwards. It should be marines who lose upgrades by the destruction of their technology. not a lifeform that has aquired a biological evolution. It just seems more intuitive if this game mechanic was the other way around.

Players spawning in should be the only ones effected by this upgrade loss too. Otherwise it's like a hidden modifier.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. Marines would just lose every game instantly after their armslab had been sniped. Aliens don't lose when their upgrade is taken down, it just puts them behind.

ChickenOfWar: Skulk scouts that marines are coming from some side of the map, he informs the team, people gather, kill the marines. Scout doesn't immediately kill anyone, he just informs people to gather.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    khammander casting umbra ftw :)