Marine Defense against bile bomb

BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited August 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">What is it?</div>I was just in a game that marines should have won, but couldn't due to constantly needing to defend and repair from gorge suicide bile bomb attacks. 1 or 2 gorges kept suicide rushing our base with adren on and did so much damage that marines couldn't repair fast enough before they came in again. In about 3 waves of this, all our advanced structures and upgrades were gone.

I just want to know, is there any way to defend against this?

Sentries wont work since they'll die from 1 or 2 bile bombs

Mines wont work because bile will kill them all in 1 or 2 bile bombs

You cant move into enemy territory because as soon as you leave base, the gorge comes back and does it again.

Comments

• _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Killing the gorge on its way to the base? Gorges die with one LMG clip. Shouldn't be that difficult.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    This starts with no one in base because they are attacking/expanding. That means the only way to keep your base from evaporating is if the comm jumps out? And keeps jumping out every time because a gorge costs 10 res? Seems like thats kinda powerful, making the comm vulnerable (and not commanding) and all.
  • DethGauntDethGaunt Join Date: 2003-06-02 Member: 16938Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1955504:date=Aug 1 2012, 07:57 AM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Aug 1 2012, 07:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This starts with no one in base because they are attacking/expanding. That means the only way to keep your base from evaporating is if the comm jumps out? And keeps jumping out every time because a gorge costs 10 res? Seems like thats kinda powerful, making the comm vulnerable (and not commanding) and all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? Recently it seems all people do is whine about how things are "imbalanced" because they manage to expose a flaw in your (pretty poor) strategy. Keep one marine in your base to shoot the damn gorge. They die fast, if the marine cant aim get someone else.

Leaving your base undefended and expecting it to still be standing afterwards is a little silly don't you think?
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Plus, gorges are slow. They don't sneak into your base. They have to come from one direction. Why aren't the marines advancing in this direction pushing anything back, including the gorges. I only had problems with bile bombing gorges, when the round was already lost and the base gets overrun. But that is the way it should be.
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You dont seem to think about evolution behind enemy lines.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Defence is to wait for uwe to notice they forgot to revert the range and remove the dot when they put the bilebomb back to the gorge.
  • TimTim Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111958Members
    To be fair, UWE have stated many times turrets are more of a deterrent than a defence. Get one marine with a Jetpack. If they're too problematic - get two marines. You should be wiping out their resource nodes with other attacking marines to prevent their resource regen.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Your flaw was letting aliens get bilebomb before you got GL. Only times a bilebombing gorge is a real problem is when he has hydras to run back to, otherwise they die easily.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1955520:date=Aug 1 2012, 11:04 AM:name=elmo9000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elmo9000 @ Aug 1 2012, 11:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955520"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Defence is to wait for uwe to notice they forgot to revert the range
    ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What I was gonna mention, and have already far back in the past when I was arguing for moving BB back from Lerk to Gorge:

<!--quoteo(post=1927684:date=Apr 20 2012, 03:18 PM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Apr 20 2012, 03:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    BB was fine on gorge, just don't make it do freakin 500 dmg vs buildings and shoot twice as far as GL!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and again after that:

<!--quoteo(post=1949983:date=Jul 9 2012, 04:51 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Jul 9 2012, 04:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    bilebomb firing farther than Gl is back now that BB returned to gorge...is also stupid.

In NS1 the BB range was like 5-7 gorge lengths, in NS2 it's like <u>5 TIMES</u> the NS1 range!
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Also stupid that bilebomb still goes thru floors, so if you can find a vent underneath a marine base it can be pretty silly. Tram is pretty notorious for having lots of these spots.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    One does not simply implement ventilation shafts in a marine base.

But yeah, obviously a bug that needs to be fixed (applies to mines killing stuff through walls and onos stomp going through a lot of stuff too).
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Kill the gorge. There's nothing wrong with bilebomb except for the obvious exploit of shooting it through the floor.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed, bile bomb is 100% fine... you can only really use it when you are either dominating or attack as a team supported by at least a couple of players. Otherwise you are Gorge toast.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1955547:date=Aug 1 2012, 07:07 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Aug 1 2012, 07:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955547"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agreed, bile bomb is 100% fine... you can only really use it when you are either dominating or attack as a team supported by at least a couple of players. Otherwise you are Gorge toast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only thing i would maybe change the effectiveness of multiple gorges. While it should be more effective than one gorge it's ridiculous what happens when 5+ gorges rush into a base.
  • KalrellKalrell Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There seems to often be threads like this, questioning what the defense against X is.

Most of the time, its just to go and f-ing kill it. :P
    No need for massive strategy, just go run and kill the offending gorge.

The best time is when hes not yet secured, just run in and kill him before the hydras/crags go up.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1955551:date=Aug 1 2012, 08:17 AM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Aug 1 2012, 08:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955551"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only thing i would maybe change the effectiveness of multiple gorges. While it should be more effective than one gorge it's ridiculous what happens when 5+ gorges rush into a base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lowering the upfront damage and increasing the (non-stackable) damage over time would work. Keeps the dps the same for one gorge, but means that multiple gorges don't scale as well.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1955551:date=Aug 1 2012, 08:17 AM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Aug 1 2012, 08:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955551"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only thing i would maybe change the effectiveness of multiple gorges. While it should be more effective than one gorge it's ridiculous what happens when 5+ gorges rush into a base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you can't kill multiple gorges as they waddle their way to your base, don't blame it on gorges being "op", blame your team for being terrible.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Georges are faily cheap considering its usefullness and also how good they are late game. Overpowered though is a bit excessive. Maybe bile bome is slight OP but like people have said, 1 rifle clip can kill them and a few well placed shotgun shells too, and then they are no longer a problem.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1955575:date=Aug 1 2012, 10:20 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 1 2012, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you can't kill multiple gorges as they waddle their way to your base, don't blame it on gorges being "op", blame your team for being terrible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's not much you can do against such a large group of gorges, even a beacon which you trigger when you see them entering the base can be to late. There's only a small time frame in which you can fight them effectively and that is when they enter the base and aren't spread up and you're lucky and have a GL equipped.

When i play gorge i always go for Adrenaline + Carapace, if we have i also chose Feign Death. If i return form the death i can at least get 2 more attacks out before they kill me again.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1955579:date=Aug 1 2012, 11:25 AM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Aug 1 2012, 11:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's not much you can do against such a large group of gorges, even a beacon which you trigger when you see them entering the base can be to late. There's only a small time frame in which you can fight them effectively and that is when they enter the base and aren't spread up and you're lucky and have a GL equipped.

When i play gorge i always go for Adrenaline + Carapace, if we have i also chose Feign Death. If i return form the death i can at least get 2 more attacks out before they kill me again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How is this any different from GL rush?

You're trying to "break" something that isn't broken nor needs fixing.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1955581:date=Aug 1 2012, 10:33 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 1 2012, 10:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955581"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How is this any different from GL rush?

You're trying to "break" something that isn't broken nor needs fixing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is no big difference and i'm not this happy about how much damage the GL can do, especially to eggs, but this thread is about the bile bomb and not about the GL.
    Your problem is that you're not scouting these massive attacks until they're inside of your base. 5 skulks, which you don't scout until they enter your base, will destroy your CC in similar fashion. Same with 5 marines walking into a hive unscouted.
    <!--quoteo(post=1955584:date=Aug 1 2012, 10:40 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Aug 1 2012, 10:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your problem is that you're not scouting these massive attacks until they're inside of your base. 5 skulks, which you don't scout until they enter your base, will destroy your CC in similar fashion. Same with 5 marines walking into a hive unscouted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I playing 80% aliens, and never had the problem when i play marine since it doesn't happen often. Three gorges are most times enough to kill a base, especially when you have feign death.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited August 2012
    Bullets, and lots of them.

<!--quoteo(post=1955581:date=Aug 1 2012, 11:33 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 1 2012, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955581"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How is this any different from GL rush?

You're trying to "break" something that isn't broken nor needs fixing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is considerably cheaper for one.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    Lol, i like how everyone's solutions is "just kill the gorge, duh". Once players get back to base, thats easy to do, but the gorge <u>WAITS TILL NO ONE IS AROUND TO KILL IT</u>. I cant stress this enough, its not hard to stop a gorge because they ARE squishy, but they CANT be stopped if the whole team is out pushing/harrasing/expanding or generally trying to win the game.

I have never seen ANY player stay in base just to watch for gorges (or any other life form for that matter) when everybody would rather be attacking the hive, attacking alien nodes, building new rts, or just plain doing ANYTHING outside of base.

Just try it. Go play as gorge. Wait for marines to move out of base, or better yet, push on a hive. Run in with adren an wipe out half their base before marines can get back. When they kill you. do it again, only 10 res down the hole each time (thats less than a pack of mines!)

This works EVEN BETTER when the gorge is supported by 1-2 skulks.

I'm not saying its overpowered or imbalanced damage or range wise. I just want to know a way (besides taking one of your players out of the game to defend base) to delay the bile bomb rush and give they players more than 15 seconds to respond. I used to think turrets were good for this, spread them out so 1 bomb cant hit them all and 2-3 turrets will require the gorge to target the turrets first, buying time. Now that turrets are useless (and die is 5 seconds), there is no way to keep any life form from having free reign in marine base.

I guess what im saying is not that BB is overpowered, but marine defense is lacking if their automated defenses cant even keep out what you all seem consider to be a minor threat. Alien whips, placed well (around hive, in areas that have clear LoS to the hive), can keep marines at bay long enough for an effective response by the alines, not to mention that they also negate some damage from a GL rush. Marines have no way to invest in any kind of static defense for a similar effect.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1955602:date=Aug 1 2012, 02:10 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Aug 1 2012, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955602"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol, i like how everyone's solutions is "just kill the gorge, duh". Once players get back to base, thats easy to do, but the gorge <u>WAITS TILL NO ONE IS AROUND TO KILL IT</u>. I cant stress this enough, its not hard to stop a gorge because they ARE squishy, but they CANT be stopped if the whole team is out pushing/harrasing/expanding or generally trying to win the game.

I have never seen ANY player stay in base just to watch for gorges (or any other life form for that matter) when everybody would rather be attacking the hive, attacking alien nodes, building new rts, or just plain doing ANYTHING outside of base.

Just try it. Go play as gorge. Wait for marines to move out of base, or better yet, push on a hive. Run in with adren an wipe out half their base before marines can get back. When they kill you. do it again, only 10 res down the hole each time (thats less than a pack of mines!)

This works EVEN BETTER when the gorge is supported by 1-2 skulks.

I'm not saying its overpowered or imbalanced damage or range wise. I just want to know a way (besides taking one of your players out of the game to defend base) to delay the bile bomb rush and give they players more than 15 seconds to respond. I used to think turrets were good for this, spread them out so 1 bomb cant hit them all and 2-3 turrets will require the gorge to target the turrets first, buying time. Now that turrets are useless (and die is 5 seconds), there is no way to keep any life form from having free reign in marine base.

I guess what im saying is not that BB is overpowered, but marine defense is lacking if their automated defenses cant even keep out what you all seem consider to be a minor threat. Alien whips, placed well (around hive, in areas that have clear LoS to the hive), can keep marines at bay long enough for an effective response by the alines, not to mention that they also negate some damage from a GL rush. Marines have no way to invest in any kind of static defense for a similar effect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you want stale mates? Also there are ways to slow it down.... Nano sheild , beacon , have a marine stay close to base, comm jump out and try depending on how many. Stop being bad, the end.
    edited August 2012
    lol nice answer.

Whips don't cause stalemates, but they do delay marine attacks....oh well, i guess im the only one who thinks marines have no way to hold territory as effectivley as aliens.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited August 2012
    I for one nominate the comm to jump out and kill it.

Alternatively, be more map aware and cut off the access lanes.

Turrets probably need a slight buff if a Gorge can 1v1 them head on, but I haven't seen that happen. And if your turrets are slowly dying to Bile Bombs from around corners, shouldn't you know about it and have someone come defend?

theorycrafting (based on community wiki data):
    EDIT(fixing numbers)
    Bile bomb = 55dmg/sec, over 5 seconds, dbl since Corrosive
    Sentry = 1040 HP
    Assuming full duration, 2 shots and 9.5 seconds.

In NS1:
    Bile Bomb = 200 dmg, 1.5sec/shot
    Turret = 1300 HP
    7 shots @ 1.5sec = 10.5 seconds

Major difference. Since BB is now DoT, you can spread your BB shots at 1/sec around the base and still do the full amount of damage. Unlike in NS1 where you focused down a region. So, yeah, it's significantly buffed over NS1.
  • DeityDeity Join Date: 2012-01-31 Member: 142843Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1955596:date=Aug 1 2012, 11:33 AM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Aug 1 2012, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is considerably cheaper for one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Grenade launchers can be picked up off of the ground by other marines after the marine who bought it died. GL's are only considerably more expensive when you ignore this fact.
    I hear that the commander is always in base.

Perhaps he should get out of the chair for five seconds and defend it?

There are simple answers to a lot of these "problems." We shouldn't be fixing things that aren't broken.