Marine minimap orientation poll

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Here's an example of the minimap rotating (in the upper-left).

<a href="http://youtu.be/h_fsM6LBi54?t=24s" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/h_fsM6LBi54?t=24s</a>

Comments

• TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Obvious answer: both! Let players choose which they want via a config option.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    My first reaction was a "No". Then I watched the video clip and I then thought "Well of course." Typhon is right. Let the player decide
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954113:date=Jul 26 2012, 11:27 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Jul 26 2012, 11:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obvious answer: both! Let players choose which they want via a config option.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1954114:date=Jul 26 2012, 06:29 PM:name=james888)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (james888 @ Jul 26 2012, 06:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My first reaction was a "No". Then I watched the video clip and I then thought "Well of course." Typhon is right. Let the player decide<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    90% of people will just stick with whichever is the default so saying both isn't an answer at all.

Id keep it static so it isn't disorientating when you switch to the big map.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    An option would be great. Barring that, stay like it is. Knowing the map layout is very important in NS, and it's easiest to remember where things are when the orientation remains consistent.
  • LandswimmerLandswimmer Join Date: 2012-07-25 Member: 154346Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954113:date=Jul 26 2012, 03:27 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Jul 26 2012, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obvious answer: both! Let players choose which they want via a config option.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where's the option for this? :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2012
    I tend to lose track of what is north whenever I used the spinning minimap in Battlefield for instance... And I tend to agree with Thyphon

<!--quoteo(post=1954113:date=Jul 26 2012, 11:27 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Jul 26 2012, 11:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obvious answer: both! Let players choose which they want via a config option.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is basically the answer that the Battlefield series uses, it's an option. Making the HuD as configurable as possible is the best way to go, I'd also like to see to see an option to disable some notification and perhaps move stuff around...

I guess the poll is missing an option?

- Make it a user option though the menu
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Well I know that if you ask your users ANY question that says "do you want XYZ to be an option" they will say "yes of course".

...and we're on a tight schedule around here, so I don't want to add something that isn't really worth it.
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2012
    I raised this issue 4 months ago on getsatisfaction* - I think it could help players if the commander yells "get to generator", players could tell at a glance which direction you need to head, rather than working out where the hell you're currently facing, and working out the best direction of travel to get to where you want to be...

Sure, make it optional though.

*funnily enough, it was on the same thread where I said you needed to add some clarity to the players' location on the map, which you've just introduced

Addendum: I'm also talking about rotating the large map, not just the minimap (the player could be centred towards the bottom of the screen, with the map rotating around them, so you always know where you are - that way, you get to see far off place names on large maps, they're not off the screen)
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954131:date=Jul 26 2012, 08:02 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jul 26 2012, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954131"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I know that if you ask your users ANY question that says "do you want XYZ to be an option" they will say "yes of course".

...and we're on a tight schedule around here, so I don't want to add something that isn't really worth it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok, then a rephrasing: If there is sufficient support for a rotating map to justify the implementation work, make it an option. Do not force everyone to use a rotating map.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    don't dumb things down too much. it should be easy to orient yourself on the current minimap, after a small initial getting-used-to phase. if it ain't broke, don't fix it - and the current minimap ain't broke.
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    A rotating minimap would get used if implemented as optional. I would use it because it could help me track the relative position of aliens around me. Some players, however, would prefer to keep the map oriented in a more absolute fashion so that it reflects the orientation of the larged map. I really don't think you'd be wasting your time on this one.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    does the minimap or main map show your waypoint path? cause i would find that heaps more handy than rotation
  • ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    If you're not going to add the option for either, then definitely keep it the way it is. Otherwise the minimap will be too disorientating for navigation and only be useful for tracking enemies.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Stay the way it is. Both the bigmap, and the marine minimap(which i disable anyways).
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    Keep it as is. If you're trying to learn a map, you don't want the layout on the minimap to look different to the one on the overview map. Having to rotate yourself a certain way so that they match before figuring out where to go next would put people right off.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited July 2012
    Yeah I guess it could be confusing to have two different representation of the map.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1954224:date=Jul 27 2012, 04:12 AM:name=Uzguz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzguz @ Jul 27 2012, 04:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Keep it as is. If you're trying to learn a map, you don't want the layout on the minimap to look different to the one on the overview map. Having to rotate yourself a certain way so that they match before figuring out where to go next would put people right off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1954233:date=Jul 27 2012, 10:30 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Jul 27 2012, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954233"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On the large map it needs to stay static, as it gives you an overview of the whole map and gives you an idea of where you are.

All the mini map is good for is understanding where you are in regard to your local surroundings, more specifically where threats are and your positioning to them.

The only point where I think it would be an issue is if you are using the mini map to run to a certain location on the map, but you've still got the large map for that, so no problem really.
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    QUOTE (Typhon @ Jul 26 2012, 11:27 PM)
    Obvious answer: both! Let players choose which they want via a config option.
    +1
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just curious as to what problem this change request attempts to address?
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1954113:date=Jul 26 2012, 05:27 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Jul 26 2012, 05:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obvious answer: both! Let players choose which they want via a config option.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When possible this, but i'm fine with the current system. If you don't have much time and the implementation of this takes long i would cut it for 1.0 and think about of implementing this after 1.0
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I find the mini-map fine as it is. I use it pretty sparingly anyways. Because it's only largely useful for spotting something you hear.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Can't answer this without trying first. Obviously rotating map makes navigating more difficult, and navigating around in NS2 is much more important than in CoD. But does a map that rotates with you help you to face enemies on the minimap in combat? Maybe. With a minimap that turns with you you can aim AT enemies WITH the minimap, while on a static minimap you aim with YOURSELF, rather tha-...who cares lol. Just keep the old one, less messy.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Would the regular map also rotate? If not, a rotating mini map and non-rotating regular map might make orientation super confusing.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    I'd say leave it as it is and spend the development cycles on other stuff. It's an interesting idea but I would only want it if I could have the option to use it or the current implementation.

In other news, I like the poll, and encourage you to do this as often as possible. :)
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    edited July 2012
    i think a rotating minimap is the wrong solution to a problem. basically a rotating minimap is great for when a skulk appears on the minimap very close to you and you have to turn and aim at him quickly, like when there are skulks in spawn but you dont know what way you'll face when you spawn. but at the same time, when that skulk is NOT there and the marine is trying to get from point A to point B, the minimap will confuse more than it helps if it rotates.

what about a turn direction aid in the hud separate from the minimap? like a notification arrow pointing to the left if an alien is in the same room as you to your left. it would provide the benefit of a rotating minimap in close combat, but it wouldnt interfere with the navigational ability of the current static minimap
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd say leave it as it is and spend the development cycles on other stuff.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. Save the "fancy" stuff till after release.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I don't think it would add enough to the game to warrant time being spent on it. There are more pressing issues requiring attention.