Project L2P

LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited July 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Laying the groundwork..</div>Hey guys,

I recently posted here in Squad 5 about my idea: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119454" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=119454</a>

I feel like if we got this going as something we sent new players towards whether it be through server MOTD's, stickies, tweets and streams it would be overall good for the community and influx of new players. Obviously I won't be able to do this entirely alone but between myself and a team member on s.C, I'll be doing a large amount of the instructional video series for each aspect of the game. Likely just 10 minute short videos on doing the basic stuff with things like Marine Commander, Skulk gameplay or Fade gameplay.

In addition, I hope to have a couple streamers broadcasting to that channel I created here: <a href="http://twitch.tv/l2pns2" target="_blank">http://twitch.tv/l2pns2</a> that will do helpful commentary as they play. This would be on top of the instructional videos on youtube and I think would be beneficial to those that enjoy more of the live stuff.

And lastly, I would aim for those that are experienced in the game to join the steam group and be somewhat "available" to new players that join the group and have questions about the game. Completely optional of course, but it would be appreciated!

<a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups/l2p-ns2" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups/l2p-ns2</a>

Comments

• DggMuffinDggMuffin Join Date: 2012-05-28 Member: 152684Members
    I'm fairly new to streaming, but I've been playing ns2 for almost a year now. I would be happy to do occasional games (with commentary) on your twitch stream to help new players/comms.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited July 2012
    Just my 2 cents: for people to really, really bother watching tutorials en masse, we need something like a 2 minute flash-track that simply goes thru the core mechanics. A 10 minute video that says "tutorial" on it is an instant "b*tchplease.jpg + [x]" reaction for me. (Not to say tutorials are bad, but... Laziness.)
  • DggMuffinDggMuffin Join Date: 2012-05-28 Member: 152684Members
    edited July 2012
    I had this problem too when learning to play at the beginning, and I actually watched a lot of good video tutorials by Fatman/Littlecoat. The problem with making an OFFICIAL(ish) 5min tutorial video is that features are being added/deleted weekly. Most of the stuff I learned in those videos do no apply to the current version of NS2.

I think somewhere that people could watch gameplay videos (this twitch stream) accompanied with some commentary (so they don't feel completely lost) would be good for new customers with peaked interest. As soon as NS2 goes feature complete, I am 100% with you Mestar, a short video with all the "must know" mechanics should be created.
  • RaikoificationRaikoification Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127076Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1952423:date=Jul 18 2012, 04:11 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Jul 18 2012, 04:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1952423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just my 2 cents: for people to really, really bother watching tutorials en masse, we need something like a 2 minute flash-track that simply goes thru the core mechanics. A 10 minute video that says "tutorial" on it is an instant "b*tchplease.jpg + [x]" reaction for me. (Not to say tutorials are bad, but... Laziness.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    agreed, a 10 minute tutorial is kinda.... too long imo
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Well thanks for the suggestions. I'll see how it goes with a fast track 2-3 minute video. Willing to try pretty much anything.

Obviously I will wait until the game is more feature complete before making a solid amount of resources available.
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    Just linked both your posts in my commander guide. Great to get some videos up. Im starting to update my post now the game is nearing completion.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Well you can probably make tutorials on mechanics that aren't likely to change:

-How to position yourself as a marine, knowing how to engage, what weapon is best for what situation.
    -How to ambush as a skulk, circle strafing and biting, parasite two biting, etc...

And convey some numbers people might not be clear on like what armor level corresponds to number of bites / swipes.
  • Locke504Locke504 Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71511Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I wanted to do something like this a long time ago from both the alien and marine commander perspective, but as it was mentioned above, the game is constantly in flux and a instructional video now might be obsolete in a week.

That said, I think a few short videos maybe outlining the core gameplay mechanics (res gathering, team work, map control) could withstand the test of time.

If I can help out, let me know.

-Locke
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    HI mate,

I am well up for helping you out with this, and i cna record some simple vids for ya, with a voice over as a tutorial.

The only concern i have, is that now isnt the right time! Really, we need to make sure the game is as close as possible to its final state, im not sure if we could get the playtesters / developers to give us a hand, by letting us know when the game is unlikely to change, wither that or, we will just have to wait for the release, and then attempt to get the tutorials done.

No point having a video that includes infestation spikes and nano shield if these dont make it to the final build.

Hunter
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think videos are ok for basic tips, but honestly the best help you can give people is just playing the game, doing common combat situations over and over... I'd be interested to hear how you plan on actually teaching people advanced combat techniques and tips on aiming and such... Generally speaking every program like this from NS1 accomplished very little.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    i too plan on making a tutorial vid but i'm reluctant to do it now as A. the game isn't even released yet and B. so much has/is/will change from now until release. I was willing to make one just a few builds ago and look how obsolete it would have been by now.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1952553:date=Jul 19 2012, 05:31 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Jul 19 2012, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1952553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i too plan on making a tutorial vid but i'm reluctant to do it now as A. the game isn't even released yet and B. so much has/is/will change from now until release. I was willing to make one just a few builds ago and look how obsolete it would have been by now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure the things that will change will have an impact on the things that should be shown in a SHORT video... I'll give it a go:

Game is Kharaa versus Marines <i><b><snaps from marine view into alien view></b></i> Kharaa can be many different lifeforms <b><i><fast flip all lifeforms> </i></b>Here's the map on which you fight <b><i><a commander view of the entire map, (just any map) zooming into the actual map, fast-forward running through the map in marine view></i></b> Your goal as a Marine is to kill the Kharaa hive, from which Kharaa spawn <b><i><flip from viewing hive to viewing marine command station></i></b> As Kharaa, you will try to destroy the marine command station. When the game starts, each team selects a commander. The job of the commander, is to build things for the team in an RTS view. <b><i><while saying this, fast forward both a Skulk and a Marine going into hive/cc and into command view, dropping a building. For marines, show a marine building a dropped structure></i></b> Structures are built with resources, and resources are gained by controlling certain key points of the map <b><i><fast-forward from marine base to the nearest res node, showing marines running to it and one guy building it></i></b>

...yeah. That's about it. Then you could make another 2min video, with "advanced basics", like 2 bites + parasite, ARCs, skulk leap, fade blink, gorge bilebomb, etc. Basically anything you feel like.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1952579:date=Jul 19 2012, 09:36 AM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Jul 19 2012, 09:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1952579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure the things that will change will have an impact on the things that should be shown in a SHORT video... I'll give it a go:

Game is Kharaa versus Marines <i><b><snaps from marine view into alien view></b></i> Kharaa can be many different lifeforms <b><i><fast flip all lifeforms> </i></b>Here's the map on which you fight <b><i><a commander view of the entire map, (just any map) zooming into the actual map, fast-forward running through the map in marine view></i></b> Your goal as a Marine is to kill the Kharaa hive, from which Kharaa spawn <b><i><flip from viewing hive to viewing marine command station></i></b> As Kharaa, you will try to destroy the marine command station. When the game starts, each team selects a commander. The job of the commander, is to build things for the team in an RTS view. <b><i><while saying this, fast forward both a Skulk and a Marine going into hive/cc and into command view, dropping a building. For marines, show a marine building a dropped structure></i></b> Structures are built with resources, and resources are gained by controlling certain key points of the map <b><i><fast-forward from marine base to the nearest res node, showing marines running to it and one guy building it></i></b>

...yeah. That's about it. Then you could make another 2min video, with "advanced basics", like 2 bites + parasite, ARCs, skulk leap, fade blink, gorge bilebomb, etc. Basically anything you feel like.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, that sounds pretty spot on. I've got the time and a good editor on my side so I think this is what I'll shoot for.
    If anyone wants to contribute just mediafire me the raw footage for editing!

And yeah DJ, I'm keeping in mind with the whole drastic change thing. I will try to keep things minimal to what will not change ever. (I hope)
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    Hope something like Mestaritonttus idea will be officially in the game, with some kind of cool reward(like this pax thing) so new ppl <u>want</u> to watch it/or a series of tutorial videos... (kinda similar how sc2 did it with archivements, points and avatars for those training missions - just that its not interactive since we dont have proper bots for such complex gameplay.
  • JoracyJoracy Join Date: 2012-06-17 Member: 153367Members
    This is a really fantastic idea, I wish I was able to help, but I doubt I really can. I came into NS2 with a good chunk of NS1 experience, but I remember what it's like trying to learn a game like NS from scratch.