Slender

PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
<div class="IPBDescription">You seriously need to play this game right now</div><a href="http://www.spiele-umsonst.de/slender-t3841.html" target="_blank">http://www.spiele-umsonst.de/slender-t3841.html</a>

Couldn't find english download links, just scroll to where it says direktdownload - windows.

I will not say anything about the game, just try it.

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    No real info here except that it's horror. Bit more in the comments, but those appear to be spoilers. Also I can't be arsed to translate them for you.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    The game's based off the 'slender man' meme. If you're super curious you can go read up on it at 'know your meme' (and there's a youtube vid too). Not sure if that's spoilery or not though so you might want to wait until after you play it? (I still haven't, too lazy :3 )
    <div align='center'>Yaaaaaaay!

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4MXYC_jX2Wc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4MXYC_jX2Wc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center> <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MXYC_jX2Wc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MXYC_jX2Wc</a> </div>
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Hot damn thank you. I forgot this was sitting on my desktop from a day or two ago. Reminded me to try it.

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>
    The first time I ran into him, holy crap. The audio had been building perfectly to that point. I ran away for a bit and then just stopped since I was too damn excited at how much it made my skin crawl. Sadly standing still in a horror game turns out to be a bad choice.</span>
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>I ran into him after exploring the little house, just stood right in the hallway. I actually screamed out loud and woke my roommate. I had to stop playing to calm my nerves.</span>
  • esunaesuna Rock Bottom Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Members, Constellation
    edited July 2012
    I played this a few days ago and there might be one slight flaw to it. I'll give a short breakdown of my experience and see if you can guess the flaw.

I start up, it tells me that there's 8 notes / letters / papers / whatever they are I forgot and I have none of them. Fair enough, I figure I'll head into the forest and see what I can find.

I follow the fence along, thinking that there might be something on it, hit a corner, no luck, start heading into the forest.

Through a short while in the forest I come to a long clearing. Kind of like a path, I take a right, head along and see what I can find.

Come across what appears to be a giant sausage. Ok, it's a tree, but unlike other trees this looks like a big-ass sausage jammed into the ground, I wander around it, find a note telling me to run, or he comes, or something along those lines. Click the mouse on it and I have the first of the notes.

I start back into the dark forest until I come to another clearing. This time I head along it again and, sure enough, I come across another point of interest, again with a note attached.

At this point I notice the background sounds and other ambient noises getting louder. Cool. No sign of the skinny prick yet so I press on.

I come by another 2-3 points of interest, the mystery machine from scooby doo, broken down truck and trailer and a an abandoned, unfurnished toilet block.

Each pickup increases the sound and on the latter of my discoveries the screen turned to static. I hightailed it into the forest, not looking back, until the static went away.

On the last one I didn't actually find the note, so I pluck up the courage to turn back and head back into the toilet block to find my precious note.

I take it slow, ready to peg it at the first sign of static, but all seems good. I enter the claustrophobic corridor, taking my time, I turn the next corner, enter the next room, turn the next corner, always on my guard, tense, highly strung. I turn the next corner to find myself back where I entered, so I turn back and head back to a fork in the layout and traverse the other path. I'm feeling a bit more cocky, I pick up the pace a bit considering I've already covered this ground before.

It's at this point that I am sprinting. I turn the next corner and it's there, shivers run down my spine, the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

It's Chunkyman. Slenderman's normal height, fat-suit wearing brother.

I laugh.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1951049:date=Jul 12 2012, 08:25 PM:name=esuna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (esuna @ Jul 12 2012, 08:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll give a short breakdown of my experience and see if you can guess the flaw.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm gonna guess it's the Chunkyman part.
    <!--quoteo(post=1951049:date=Jul 12 2012, 09:25 PM:name=esuna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (esuna @ Jul 12 2012, 09:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I played this a few days ago and there might be one slight flaw to it. I'll give a short breakdown of my experience and see if you can guess the flaw.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You used the wrong aspect ratio for your monitor?
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1951075:date=Jul 12 2012, 04:47 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Jul 12 2012, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm gonna guess it's the Chunkyman part.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is all kind of strange.

Because you're Stickman.

Yet your avatar says "Totally not fat."

So you're saying you're a stick man that's not fat... you're not Chunkyman.

Are you Slenderman?
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1951167:date=Jul 13 2012, 03:22 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Jul 13 2012, 03:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is all kind of strange.

Because you're Stickman.

Yet your avatar says "Totally not fat."

So you're saying you're a stick man that's not fat... you're not Chunkyman.

Are you Slenderman?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I stand by my misleading avatar.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    Ok, so I've played it now and knowing the slender meme/myth isn't spoilerish.

At first I was genuinely bored, wandering about being all 'meh, I cant open doors?' Then, after wandering about I 'met' him for the first time and got a genuine jump-fright. After that the game was fairly intense. Good stuff, even though the slender monster himself isn't all that scary visually. The mechanics and awesome ambient music/sound more than make up for that though and get your heart racing. To be honest, you could replace the model with a my little pony or something and it'd still be terrifying, but if they had a genuinely messed up model it would've added a lot :P

While I know a few things now about his movement rules it's still somewhat vague how the creature moves and I'm curious if it's scripted/generated or if there's some genuine tracking of motion in some form. Either way, it seems to do it's job :3
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited July 2012
    I ###### hate horror games.

Ask me if I ever finished Amnesia... D: Or Penumbra.

If I ever work up the courage to play this I'd probably wee myself in mere anticipation of being freaked the ###### out.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Yeah, I'll second that. When it's at the point that I physically can't progress out of fear it stops being fun...
    Bizarrely, I played through Amnesia in an almost serene state of acceptance. I have no weapon, no means of defending myself at all, so there's nothing to panic over. I either find somewhere to hide and smush my face into a corner until spookysounds stop, or my death is as inevitable as only rigid game rules can make it. Okay, it had its moments, but overall I perceived the game as much more atmospheric than scary.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    This is a free scare. I enjoyed it.