Finisher

dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
edited July 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Aliens needs an finishing ability.
In 212 the turrets are broken, they explode from time to time, need an powerpack sometimes and they decrease serverperformance cause lua spam. Thats why i disabled them on all of our server temporary.

The interisting fact is, that aliens still have problems to end the game.
Btw, i dont like the fact that aliens need great coordination to finish those games. Ok, it works in clanmatches or gathers maybe, but nearly never in pub games.
You can say "hey, must be an stupid alienteam, you can vortex this or bilebomb that". Sure, but i see so many stalemates on the turretless servers like before with turrets.

So we have the same old stalemates right now like ages ago. But this time without turrets.

These stalemates are boring, marines go in with an arctrain and soon with exo and have no problems to finish an game.
Aliens need ages to finish an game.

The alien-com need an super powerfull ability he get with 4 hives for example. Something like nuke. It must cost tons of res and must have an super huge cooldown.
This ability should be like an initiator for an final rush.

Does someone remember the scene in lord of the rings where 1 orc ran in with an torch to the great wall to fire the bomb?
So give an emp-bug to the alien com. If he can reach the base, he can disable things in an defined radius for 30 sec.
Or an acidrain cloud to the com he can cast in an area with the same effect.
It must be something that isnt growing on infestation cause if so, we still had the stalemates if some arcs are in marinebase.

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2012
    End-games nuke sort of abilities have been tried before, and what happened is the team turtling until it gets that tech, then goes on to win... so you gotta be careful with such ideas.
    Though on the other hand, I'm not sure if this one is vulnerable to such an effect; if the aliens have 4 hives, then they've pretty much won already.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    Sure they won, but 40min ago. DC covered in Flamers, GLs, 3 ARCS and JP they can turtle up for ages, and if a Fade enters the base it burns and gets EMPed --> dead.

IMO it is because of the Onos, he can't even deal with 1 JP marine and 3 Rines with W3 will hunt that slow fattie down in 1s.
    And Xeno is absoluetly UNUSED in pub, i have never seen it in action in this build, even if it is researched.
    200 light dmg? Really? You would need 3 Xenos for a A3 marine in the face. It needs to be increased.

Focus is also something that should be considered to come back, it was important to deal massive DMG to a single target. Maybe get a Upgrade that tunrs your primary to heavy DMG but it has a lower RoF and costs 20% more energy. Wouldn't be OP since it is the same as focus (focus did DBL DMG and Normal DMG to heavy DMG does also dbl the DMG), because all primary attacks do normal DMG now.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    As each alien lifeform gets straightened out I think this will cease to be a problem... The alien commander doesnt need some kind of end-game ability to coordinate attacks, all that is needed is teamwork on the alien side. The onos currently has problems dealing with marines, and fade tends to be a glass cannon. I think once some of those issues are resolved the alien team will be able to end games much quicker.
  • tux77tux77 Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152340Members
    Focus is the only viable abilities for late game finishing against jp lvl 3/3 or HA etc .... And give onos the power to eat again HA or marines willbe very OP than EXO comme if you can focus them or devor them .

FOCUS IS VERY IMPORTANT IN NS FOR LATE GAME THE MOST IMPORTANT AND IT MAKE SKULK DONT BE USELESS EVEN IF ITS THE LATE GAME.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1950026:date=Jul 9 2012, 08:29 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jul 9 2012, 08:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The alien commander doesnt need some kind of end-game ability to coordinate attacks, all that is needed is teamwork on the alien side.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's kind of the thing though, marines can end the game if they have oodles of resources by spamming siegemobiles, no teamwork required.

Even if we went back to the NS1 unmoving siege cannons model, they'd still be able to finish the aliens off with relative ease since they don't have to go through the static defences; defending the cannons against aliens is very straightforward compared to giving cover to the bilebomb gorge as an onos, or putting up enough umbra for your mates while also surviving yourself as a lerk.

Not sure how to solve it without allowing aliens some direct equivalent, shooting through walls makes a huge difference.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    All it takes is one guy to rally the Alien team to finish. There's been plenty of public games I've stepped into and basically rallied the team to a finishing strategy and executed it.

The stalemates occur because everyone is still doing their own thing and there's no person rallying the team for the final push.

Last night we went with 3x gorges rushing to their Command Station with Bile Bomb while the Marines were pushing our Hive and downed their CC so fast it was GG almost instantly. You can't tell me Aliens don't have finishers ^^ It's just the playerbase atm doesn't know about them but that will change as players learn etc. in time.
  • haprohapro Join Date: 2012-03-27 Member: 149492Members
    My idea in the past was not to give the winning team a win button but to give the losing team a salvage button. After some conditions are met (enemy has 80% of hive/harvester locations, etc.) the commander can trigger an evac and the winning team has 5-10 minutes to win. Rather than pointlessly stalemating, this gives the winning team incentive to go all-out, and also gives the losing team some motivation to keep playing until the end of the round instead of just getting bored and readyrooming. The winning team would still "win" the round but it would be a moral victory for the evacuees if they can hold.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2012
    @Locklear

Believe me, we had plenty of good players in the alienteam.
    We talk and try to coordinate. Fades vortex the arms lab, onos go in with gorges lerk spraying umbra, Alien com spam phantasm.

It was impossible t0 end the game. And the marines had no turret in dc.
    After 30 min, we do it with a massive gorge rush.
    A "normal" pub team never could win this stalemate.

This game was one of the worst i ever played and it shows me the real problems of the current ns2.
    As i said, that aliens need much more teamplay to finish the game is an huge design issue right now. Aliens normally designed to be more independent. This work till endgame.
    Marines need teamplay till endgame, then they have an easy time and dont need it anymore.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    I agree with the original poster in principle.

Disregarding the competitive/gather arena, in the public game world, it quite often can become the marines turtled on 1-2 res nodes until full Jetpack/W3/A3/Arctrain at which point the alien team has zero chance of winning regardless of strategy or execution.

The alien team distinctly has no coup-de-grace maneuver even on a game where 99% of the map is cysted and controlled, if the Marines are fairly competent.

The current iteration of NS2 is 'Can you keep the marines below 3 nodes for the entire game, mass onos and rush the comm chair and/or powernod before they can get jetpacks and/or w3a3+arcs'. (In the world of pubs).

I have commed several games on the Marine Side where we literally held no more than 2 nodes all game and end up winning at 90+ minutes due to the inability of the alien team to ever collapse the marine turtle. Onos die with 3-4 LMG W0 clips. A couple full W3 Shotgun clips.

I'm not sure on the best resolution for the problem, as introducing new abilities/'Nukes' would introduce a plethora of new problems... but something is definitely off in regards to the 1-2RT megaturtle and win capability of the current build/s.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    This is a problem with the economy/tiering system in a way.

I believe Aliens can still win right now, but it's only if the Marines were largely incompetent anyways. I've seen 90 minute games where the Marines are really competent shooters and can hold off mostly any type of rush. Even multi-onos.

It's still a matter of strategy though, if Aliens just go straight for the Command Station with Bile Bomb and Onos atm it will go down in seconds. Yes, it's imbalanced imo that Marines can pull out loads of tech from 1 Command Station (very little map control) but that will have to be something Charlie has to make up his mind on.

<!--quoteo(post=1950196:date=Jul 9 2012, 02:51 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Jul 9 2012, 02:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->= Onos die with 3-4 LMG W0 clips.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It takes 5 Weapons3 LMG clips to kill an Onos. Not 3-4 W0 lol.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited July 2012
    Onos takes 9 full mags with a weapons 0 LMG to take down (with carapace- but who goes onos w/o carapace?). And locklear is right that it's 5 mags for w3 LMG, and 12-13 shotgun shots with w3 (assuming 100% accuracy for all 10 pellets). If an onos has time to get shot 12+ times with a shotgun though he was probably some place that he should not have been (over extended or over committed).
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've seen aliens end stalemates plenty of times by echoing in 10 whips into the marine base. at the rate cysts could be spammed there was no stopping them. 10 whips will murder anything in close proximity regardless of any other issues they have. this strategy combined with constant harassment from alien players gives marines no chance to win if it gets to that point (i.e. fades vortexing arms lab and onoses rushing in at the same time the cysts go down). Its just too many targets in their base so quickly.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Vortex does not remove marine upgrades if you vortex the armslab.. at least that's how it was in b210, was it changed last patch?
    <!--quoteo(post=1950362:date=Jul 10 2012, 11:00 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Jul 10 2012, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950362"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Vortex does not remove marine upgrades if you vortex the armslab.. at least that's how it was in b210, was it changed last patch?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From what I can recall nowadays, it does. Could be wrong though.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1950124:date=Jul 9 2012, 02:10 PM:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA @ Jul 9 2012, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950124"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Believe me, we had plenty of good players in the alienteam.
    We talk and try to coordinate.<!--coloro:#FF00FF--><span style="color:#FF00FF"><!--/coloro--> Fades vortex the arms lab, onos go in with gorges lerk spraying umbra, Alien com spam phantasm.
    <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Found the issue.... why not vortex the ips with fade and get a onos to kill arms lab? Maybe lerks and a fade also kill, 1 gorge bile bomb? I find games pretty easy to finish still. Id say its all due to players.
    "Fixed bug where vortexed arms labs were not updating the tech tree properly."
    edited July 2012
    Ok, then Floodinator, Bicsum and me must be noobs and we dont know how to play the game. Im sure we had 1-2 other "noobs" in the team also.
    Now i know why i see so many stalemates, thx for the info.

Maybe its time for me to play another game. Seems that i never going to learn it.

This must be the only game ever where 2 grenadelauncher and a flamer kill every try of a cystspam in seconds, the only game where multiple arcs kill every nearby structure, the only game where lvl3 marines with jetpacks kill everything went into dc.

And i repeat it again, its an design issue that aliens need great teamwork to finish those games and the solution should be another attack order? Try that on an pure public team without mic.

We fight hard to push the marines back to base. The end should be an reward not an frustrating endless stalemate.
    Endgames for marines are much more fun.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    Rant/Jucci, I don't think the argument was made that in a purely competitive/competent environment the game can't be ended, it's that in a general sense for the average public match, the marines have a strong chance of winning a game turtled on 1-2 RT's and full-teching. It should not be thus, the 'average game full of average players' should end in the team with the superior map control and a flood of resources generally being victorious.

I think it may be a miscommunication that someone was implying it is "Impossible" for a coordinated, properly dispersed alien assault to overrun any level of marine organization. That's another debate. I think the debate here was focused around your typical pub, where you see that 1-RT turtle win semi-consistently.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    i may be wrong, but in pubs ive seen aliens win most games. All this talk is about a ways aliens can win against marine turtles. the fact is they've already won if it becomes a stalemate, its just a matter of time.

Granted theres no EASY way to dig out a marine base, but they cant really come back. marines cant hold more than 1 rt at this point, so flamers and gls are RARE if out at all at this point.

Aliens have everything they need to end the game (whips and echo). Marines are just too good at holding their base against players but not good enough to break out. (btw exo wouldn't help this situation either due to lack of res)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've wondered if maybe this is a good role for babblers. Essentially, make them similar to SC2 banelings in which they are high damage, cheap, low health suicide units that can rush a base and do massive damage in a large radius. For balance, I'd make them require first to be researched from the hive, then require an upgraded crag, and finally give them a limited lifetime (i.e. only live for like 15s so you can't stockpile them).
    What if marines had all the weapons + exo BEFORE the stalemate starts. If one marine drop his flamer, another one pick it up. So you have grenades, flamer and exo soon all the time in base.

I really want to know how the aliens should end an game soon aginst an exo with dual railguns standing in an turretfarm and jetpackmarines with flamers and arcs in base.
  • FunkyFungusFunkyFungus Join Date: 2003-09-09 Member: 20691Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1950386:date=Jul 10 2012, 07:10 PM:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA @ Jul 10 2012, 07:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if marines had all the weapons + exo BEFORE the stalemate starts. If one marine drop his flamer, another one pick it up. So you have grenades, flamer and exo soon all the time in base.

I really want to know how the aliens should end an game soon aginst an exo with dual railguns standing in an turretfarm and jetpackmarines with flamers and arcs in base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Overkill!!!!!!!! ^^

but +1 on this

i want to pick up dead bodys as a skulk... onos dies -> i take it ^^
    edited July 2012
    If marines have exos and guns, they probly wont be sitting in their base waiting to be hit, but actually attacking. Stalemates only happen when a team doesnt have the res to push out of their base anymore.

if the team does have guns and exos at the start of a stalemate, its only a matter of time before they cant afford them anymore. guns will get lost, when an exo dies they cant afford another. it all ends up the same, just longer.

Recycling guns is a great feature, and if used PERFECTLY can keep the marines alive indefenitly, but when does gun recycling ever go perfectly?
  • ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    I agree with dePara, during late game public its way too difficult to end the game. And I think dePara and his teammates had the experience and competens to do what they had to do. But as xDragon says, lifeforms just need to be straighten out rather than adding "nukes".
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    Thats why I suggested this topic to give aliens end game tech for once to end games. Your thoughts?

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119180" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=119180</a>
    edited July 2012
    New things don't need to be added. I believe this is a temporary problem of "not being able to end the game" nowadays as they smooth out the economy/tiering system.

I do agree that Marines should not be able to tech up and hold out on 1-2 RTs to make these epicly long stalemates.
    Like any RTS game, expand to other resource or lose.

If they do indeed leave the Marines able to research their entire tech tree from one tech point without issue.. then we may have a problem.
    edited July 2012
    Aliens are also missing things like adrenaline and primal scream.

Honestly the idea of adding a "nuke" or something equally ridiculous should be added only if aliens are still struggling 6 months after 1.0 release. I think most alien losses to turtled rines are to inexperience and lack of teamwork. Just seems like such a kneejerk reaction to suggest/put something like that in a game that is so young (the umbilical hasn't even been cut yet!).

I also think marines have it so much easier in stalemate situations because of Arcs, and I hope the devs do something about them because they are awful on pub games.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1950494:date=Jul 11 2012, 01:35 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Jul 11 2012, 01:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950494"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens are also missing things like adrenaline and primal scream.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I thought its been said "Adrenaline will never be in NS2"? I'd like to see it myself, just thinking I heard Charlie say this.
    <!--quoteo(post=1950564:date=Jul 11 2012, 06:01 AM:name=botchiball)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (botchiball @ Jul 11 2012, 06:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950564"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought its been said "Adrenaline will never be in NS2"? I'd like to see it myself, just thinking I heard Charlie say this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was actually added in b212 (start game and go build a shift hive to see for yourself) but it doesn't work for some reason. I assume it will be fixed next patch ?
  • KasperleKasperle Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31990Members
    I havent seen an argument, why aliens shouldnt have a nuke-ability with 4 hives and for example 1000 TRes. At this point the marines have allready lost...
    I cant really see how that would effect the balancing in any way or how that could change the outcome of the round.
    There is no reason to argue about an ability that ends a long ago lost round ?

Unless ... u want to punish the aliens for not choosing the right strategy to hit turtled marines by steeling everybodys time ... gg.
    Unless ... u want to give the marines enough time to build their arc-train and turn the round.