Smite

Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
<div class="IPBDescription">beta keys!</div><a href="https://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/" target="_blank">Smite</a> is yet another MOBA (DotA game), this time you play as a god from various pantheons, right now they have Greek, Hindu, Chinese, and Norse (more gods and pantheons are most likely to come). It is currently in closed beta, and as far as I know you can buy access to it (and also recieve some ingame currency at the same time), but it will be free to play once released.

The key difference between Smite and most other MOBA games is that Smite features a 3rd person view, rather than the traditional isometric/RTS view. This also means that all the abilities are skill shots as opposed to just having to target the enemy in traditional MOBAs. Additionally, I'd daresay this game has a smoother learning curve than most other MOBAs, as they've implemented autolevelling and autobuying (this can all be turned off). Furthermore, you do not combine basic items into more complex ones, instead you simply buy an item and upgrade it, so you do not need to keep track of a bajillion items, and how they combine together.

The game is not without its kinks though - it being early beta and all. What immediately comes to mind is that the HUD is at times a bit lacking in terms of information (for instance you cannot currently see the effects of various buffs on your hero), and not surprisingly some of the gods are rather overpowered. Still, the game is very playable, and good fun.

Now, it just so happens that I have 2 beta keys for this game that I can give away (well, a friend of mine does, but he's willing to let me give them away). First two people to PM me will get the keys. Each of these people will probably even get 2 beta invites themselves shortly after unlocking Smite on their hirez account.

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Basically it's like Super Monday Night Combat except with larger maps and traditional fantasy setting.
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bK7BLq-HLIQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bK7BLq-HLIQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    It should probably be pointed out that this is made by Hi-Rez, same people that did Global Agenda and Tribes Ascend.
  • Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    edited July 2012
    Oh yeah, that's a good point, I had it in the thread title, but it turned out too long.

Btw, both keys have been claimed (I'll send them out once my friend comes online on MSN again, which will happen at the latest tomorrow, but I imagine he'll be around some time this evening).

However, anyone else wanting a key shouldn't give up hope. These two new accounts will probably get two invites themselves (one of them have said he'll sent any beta keys back), but to facilitate sharing these keys I'd prefer if you just call dibs in this thread (just so keys will not have to go through me and my forum messages)

TL;DR: Keys claimed. Call dibs in this thread to claim any potential keys that might show up.

Edit: Both keys should have been sent now, Thansal and zimzum, let me know if you have any problems. (Kind of worried as I cannot see the my messages to them in my Sent PMs folder)
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    Yay! Thanks DHP.

And yes, if/when I get keys I will post about it to this thread (huzaah for NSOT, and all that jazz)
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    It looks interesting. Normal mobas are not really my type, but SMNC is pretty fun, so I'd like to take a look at this.
    huh, would you look at that. Everyone in beta (including people who just got in) gets 2 keys.

Who wants a key? (post here so people can tell when they are gone)
  • WtfXemnessWtfXemness Join Date: 2012-07-02 Member: 153850Members
    i would like a beta key. thx :D
    So yah, I'm doing the normal of not handing out keys to people that just joined the forums, I have RL friends that I could hand them out to also if no one from the community really wants them.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    thanks for the key. I'll post when I get any betas to hand out.
    edited July 2012
    Oh! Oh pick me! Me! Here! Me! Pick me!
    edited July 2012
    I dono.

I mean, do I really want to give lolf a key?

:P

oh, right, ign is obviously thansal
    Apparently you do want to give me a key. <3

I don't have any keys yet, as it turns out. But maybe soon.
  • Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    edited July 2012
    Ingame name is PaganBaconsmith (which incidentally is pretty much the name I use now for my online alias needs)

Edit: btw, in the game there's a cutoff point between accounts that are level 5 or below accounts that are 6 or higher. Those below level 6 can only play novice games that are only populated by other players that haven't reached lvl6 yet. In short: Level 1-5 players cannot play with players of level >5.
    I now have three beta keys. First three to post get one. I reserve the right not to hand out keys to new accounts or excessively rude people.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    ~tilts head thoughtfully~

I dunno... I guess I could ask for a key but I'm so busy I dunno if it's worth it. I'm sure there's people out there who might appreciate it more. But hey, if you have one hanging about you don't want I won't say no I guess :3
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1948673:date=Jul 3 2012, 08:38 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 3 2012, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I now have three beta keys. First three to post get one. I reserve the right not to hand out keys to new accounts or excessively rude people.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes please. :)
    edited July 2012
    Alright Geminosity, I'll put you on the "maybe" list then. I'll send you one tomorrow if nobody else asks for it. One key for Angelusz, two more keys to go.

Edit: If at any point we end up with multiple people offering keys at the same time, please indicate who you're asking for a key from so we don't end up sending out multiples.
    I've got 3 beta keys to give out. Same as above, first to pm me gets them.
    That used to be a recipe for disaster with this kind of thing, because you'd end up having to send out three keys, 27 replies with "sorry they're gone" AND explain the situation to the people going "omg your inbox is full" in the thread.

This forum is kind of empty these days.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Hmm, I'd love to try this. Anyone want to send me a key? :)
    Just sent you a PM Psyke

I have 2 keys left.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Oh go on then, I'll give it a try...
    edited July 2012
    I'll send Shockeh a key. Down to one.

Edit: So I finally got around to playing this, and I'll say the same thing I've said about every moba: There needs to be an "ignore everyone who isn't on my friends list" option. I just don't want to ever hear these people say anything.