Tell me I'm wrong, please!

iggyiggy Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153515Members
edited June 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Finally bought NS2, logged in, and was met with a sad disappointment. After being a long time FPS player (1.6, TFC, Half-Life, TF2, Battlefield) and a long time NS1 player, NS2 feels so clunky on the marine side. It just doesn't have that reaction like feel I loved stealthing to the enemy hive in a combat map. There is a skulk on my toes yet I'm unable to have the proper control (even though I know it's exact location) to kill it. The movement really has no resemblance to the original NS1. Is this just the evolution of the game (or devolution) or is it being worked on? So far I've seen very little besides in game buildings that resembles the NS1 I loved so much.

Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me it's being worked on. Just don't tell me this is how it's intended to be.

In either case, I'm glad I bought the same just due to how much fun I had in NS1. Thanks for the emails Hugh :)

Comments

• JayarisJayaris Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149321Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1945567:date=Jun 21 2012, 06:31 AM:name=iggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iggy @ Jun 21 2012, 06:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Finally bought NS2, logged in, and was met with a sad disappointment. After being a long time FPS player (1.6, TFC, Half-Life, TF2, Battlefield) and a long time NS1 player, NS2 feels so clunky on the marine side. It just doesn't have that reaction like feel I loved stealthing to the enemy hive in a combat map. There is a skulk on my toes yet I'm unable to have the proper control (even though I know it's exact location) to kill it. The movement really has no resemblance to the original NS1. Is this just the evolution of the game (or devolution) or is it being worked on? So far I've seen very little besides in game buildings that resembles the NS1 I loved so much.

Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me it's being worked on. Just don't tell me this is how it's intended to be.

In either case, I'm glad I bought the same just due to how much fun I had in NS1. Thanks for the emails Hugh :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess it's about personal preference, I thought NS1 was horrendously clunky movement in NS2 is from what I can tell reliable and smooth.

As far as the 'proper control' goes - I'm not sure what you mean, if you hear a Skulk behind you, you 360 and kill him. What artificial limitations are in place to stop you doing that?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1945574:date=Jun 21 2012, 04:01 PM:name=Jayaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jayaris @ Jun 21 2012, 04:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you hear a Skulk behind you, you 360 and kill him<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, I'd only do a 180.

:P
  • KalrellKalrell Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can sort of agree.
    I remember when first touched ns2 back in alpha, the nature of the marine having all this stuff like view model bobs and your view moving slightly when axing was a bit off putting.
    But that's unfortunately what most modern games have built in these days, and once you play enough you get used to it.
  • JayarisJayaris Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149321Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1945576:date=Jun 21 2012, 07:03 AM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jun 21 2012, 07:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945576"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I'd only do a 180.

:P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm so powerful, that when I turn around at sharp angles the world spins on it's axis at half the same rate. So I have to spin 360 degrees to actually face 180 degrees from my original viewpoint.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    Tweaking & polishing in last two months of summer should help a lot with the overall experience but there are a number of differences with ns1. Skulk movement is being changed frequently but haven't heard much on the marine side. Maybe with improved frame rate and hit reg they can bump the base speed a bit
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1945567:date=Jun 21 2012, 03:31 PM:name=iggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iggy @ Jun 21 2012, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tell me I'm wrong, please!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nope, you are right! It's even worse if you don't have a top range PC (like top 1%).
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited June 2012
    I don't think there is plan to change the marine movement, but people did complained about it during the beta.

I don't know what it is exactly, but the marine feels fat somehow, if you go back in NS1 you suddenly loose your weight.
  • iggyiggy Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153515Members
    My PC is good enough (i5 with 570gtx).

I don't even know how to describe it. The feeling was just all different than anything I was used to. Really, I wish I could describe it better.

Again, still glad I bought the game (love you unknown worlds).
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Well, there is still an endless amount of polishing to do before the game goes out so I wouldn't judge the current movements as final. Marines can't even properly jump over a rail or onto a box ffs. Stuff like that is going to have to be fixed before launch so I would honestly just wait until release to pass judgments on movement.
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    The movement is much more deliberate, but things like limits on spamming jump and not being able to run backwards make it less frustrating as a skulk.
  • EvilKoaLaEvilKoaLa Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149331Members
    Hey iggy.

As a former TFC player, we may have a common reference point here.

As someone said before, it's like this in all new FPS games, and you get used to it in the end. Actually, I have the same sensation as you when playing Shootmania beta, and when I begun NS2 Beta.

Actually, if you get used to the fact that you are really slow and heavy, it's true that there was a lot of improvements due to the engine. At the beggning, there was just no way you could move as you wish, due to lags.

Let's be clear, it will never be as clean as a TFC or a NS1, but in my opinion, it's getting better. We're just oldschool gamers, and new games aren't designed for us anymore ;(
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1945567:date=Jun 21 2012, 08:31 AM:name=iggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iggy @ Jun 21 2012, 08:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Finally bought NS2, logged in, and was met with a sad disappointment. After being a long time FPS player (1.6, TFC, Half-Life, TF2, Battlefield) and a long time NS1 player, NS2 feels so clunky on the marine side. It just doesn't have that reaction like feel I loved stealthing to the enemy hive in a combat map. There is a skulk on my toes yet I'm unable to have the proper control (even though I know it's exact location) to kill it. The movement really has no resemblance to the original NS1. Is this just the evolution of the game (or devolution) or is it being worked on? So far I've seen very little besides in game buildings that resembles the NS1 I loved so much.

In either case, I'm glad I bought the same just due to how much fun I had in NS1. Thanks for the emails Hugh :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No you're not wrong but you're also not right. :)

The game is still in Beta and is constantly getting worked on and things do change, sometimes a little extreme.

So don't give up on it yet.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1945567:date=Jun 21 2012, 03:31 PM:name=iggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iggy @ Jun 21 2012, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tell me I'm wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, you are right.

The NS2 responsiveness of movement (compared to the HL1 or any Quake Engine) equals an electric wheelchair.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1945585:date=Jun 21 2012, 02:20 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Jun 21 2012, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think there is plan to change the marine movement, but people did complained about it during the beta.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you said that like beta stage is over, I may misunderstood you - sorry.

more to the point regrading OP, you're not wrong. movement has been huge problem, and still is. If you want to see even worse movement, try aliens. No matter how much we want our ns1 alien movement back, charlie refuses to bring it back but in-stand he tries to bring dumbed-down version of it back. (much like many parts of the game aswell)

their is no nice way of saying it, really. because so many already stated the same thing in every way, and we are now stuck with the current gimmick gameplay and broken ideas. Only hope I see, somebody will create mod or after many failed attempts charlie will bring back what worked. (much like he starting to do with recent changes to the game, somewhat)

I still can't believe this game suppose to come out end of summer, so much is missing. it feels so hollow compared to NS1.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1945576:date=Jun 21 2012, 02:03 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jun 21 2012, 02:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945576"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I'd only do a 180.

:P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ^ LOL