I bought the game in 2009 and...

longaslongas Join Date: 2012-06-19 Member: 153449Members
As the title says, I bought NS2 in 2009 (25/06/09) because UW dated the game for "fall 2009" (good lie btw). I've read that they are going to release it this summer (I hope it's true this time :D), 3 years have passed and I have the impression that the community of this game is already dead, the hype is gone. The last time I tried the game was in the first beta and it was so horrible that I decided that I wouldn't play the game until the final version, If some of you guys could tell me what's the state of the game/community in this moment I'd be really glad.

Comments

• MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    If you bought the game, why not fire it up and see for yourself.
  • serpicoserpico Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    Community is far from dead, and the game, even in it's unfinished, unpolished, unbalanced, and unoptimized state, is my current main game. Many of us could say the same. It's a lot of fun. Beta started awful and stayed awful for several builds, but it's a real live game now and winning E3 awards to boot.
  • Angry Hillbilly 2Angry Hillbilly 2 Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149741Members
    edited June 2012
    Dude i can garantee to you that the game is currently in a friggin FANTASTIC state comparied to those early alphas. The hype is most certainly NOT gone. The hype has only just begun. The game has been at PAX, E3 (where it won several awards AND was nominated for others) AND has JUST been at Dreamhack with it soon at RezzedUK. The are so many improvments on that bare bones of an alpha i cannot even begin to describe. Just start playing it man i garanteed you will not be dissapointed :)

P.S. Its still quite buggy as it is a beta but nothing on that alpha :P
  • Classic319Classic319 Join Date: 2010-11-06 Member: 74789Members
    edited June 2012
    wth is the point of this topic? I've actually never seen a forum so active like here. More than hundreds players are almost always online at the beta stage, and the game got success at PAX, E3, and Dreamhack whatever.. awards like 'Best Indie Game of E3' or some awards cannot be given to a game which is dead and hype-lost. I even say as one of those who complaint about this game everyday even just one and half years ago. And i do not whine anymore :)
  • CurveCurve Join Date: 2003-12-17 Member: 24475Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1945029:date=Jun 19 2012, 11:46 PM:name=serpico)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (serpico @ Jun 19 2012, 11:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Community is far from dead<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    hmm well were older, not that wiser and it will be interesting to see how popular this game will be as it lacks features that people expect in a full game (Player models ie male/female, Game types, loads of maps, er).

But for the time being the game has almost all the things from NS1 in it and the game play although imbalanced is quite fun.

Still performs badly on all but the best hardware although I've read that's coming at some point.

Please don't take this in a negative way, it's fun but it still needs work.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    It's down to how much performance they're able to coax out of the game come release in a few months. If it doesn't measure up the hype\demand, the game will die faster than Brink.
  • Angry Hillbilly 2Angry Hillbilly 2 Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149741Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1945038:date=Jun 20 2012, 12:02 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Jun 20 2012, 12:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's down to how much performance they're able to coax out of the game come release in a few months. If it doesn't measure up the hype\demand, the game will die faster than Brink.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well then again thats because Brink was well.....a bit rubbish....(no offence to any brink dev that may come across this). It was messy and lacked polish expected from a AAA title. Indie games get a little more leway in this sense but i reckon the UWE guys can do it :) Late aug i can imagne will be 1.0 and 1.1 by the next couple of days :P i mean look at killing floor. I played the mod back when i was 1.0 all the way to its retail status. That game on 1.0 was buggy as hell and even unplayable due to a server browser bug but a few months later all was fixed and a few years later its sold over 1,400,000 copies and counting :) I think NS2 is gonna be absaloutly smashing given time :)
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    This is a very pointless topic. I'm going to assume you live under a rock and only have access to the internet once every three years. Because there isn't another explanation for you not being able to see all the posts on the forums, all the news, all the videos and all the posts on social media. Pointless, not very bright, and very fat.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    Like others have said.... load up the game and play :)

I think you will be surprised and even glad that they delayed the release. The original alpha's and etc were obviously not even a finished game... were still in beta now but this game is gonna be up and coming very soon. It's going to do especially well in the hardcore PC gamer / competitive scene. I haven't had this much fun gaming and being competitive since the 1.6 days. That says a lot by the way.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Wait for release probably couple months after.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ... not sure if OP is trolling or been without internet for years at a time... hmmmm
  • longaslongas Join Date: 2012-06-19 Member: 153449Members
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not a troll nor I have followed the news about this game since early 2010, that's the reason why I've created this topic after seeing the video of NS2 on E3 where they say that they are going to release the game late this summer. I'll wait until the final release to try it again and see what UW has done these last 3 years, it's nice to read that the game has improved a lot but I'm still a bit worried about the performance as someone has pointed out before.

About the community. I didn't want to sound like a troll, but I've the impression that there aren't more than 200 active players on these forums, which for a 100% multiplayer game is a really low number.
  • haprohapro Join Date: 2012-03-27 Member: 149492Members
    Well, there's about as many active NS2 servers as there are active CS: GO servers.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Keep in mind that only around 20% of ns2 players are forum members. We don't form the majority, but we're the most vocal, for better or for worse.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm pretty sure you're not alone in this mind you, would be interesting to see the statistics of the amount of people that bought the game and have actually played it in the last few months. That number is bound to increase massively as (mainly) performance and balance/gameplay improves. Many are just waiting for that 'moment' really.

I bought it in 2009 as well, couldn't play it since my pc wouldn't run it. I now have a much better pc, and while performance is still abyssal at times, the game is tons of fun, I think I already clocked 150+ hours in just 4- 5 months. Don't expect it to be as polished as NS 1 was just yet, there"s a lot of balancing and optimising that needs to happen, but with every patch I am more confident in UWE's ability to make NS2 a more than worthy sequel.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    I can't believe this game was sold in 2009? For real?

It's 2012. Whar game, whar?
    You never wondered what those Fall2009-gibes were about?
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1945362:date=Jun 20 2012, 02:07 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Jun 20 2012, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945362"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You never wondered what those Fall2009-gibes were about?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought it was because UWE said they would release the final game in 2009 -- I didn't realize they were actually charging money for it then. I would feel ripped off to no end if I bought a game in 2009 and it was not even feature complete in 2012. But I'm rich so I pay other people to feel ripped off for me.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Did you buy a game that was sold as a completed product, or did you buy access to the engine test and alpha?
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1945405:date=Jun 20 2012, 03:01 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jun 20 2012, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945405"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you buy a game that was sold as a completed product, or did you buy access to the engine test and alpha?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I bought access to a "beta" that I assume will be finished within a reasonable time period. But I am not one of those who bought it in 2009 anyway. 2009 to 2012 is quite a long time
  • HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    My favorite part of the "Fall 2009" preorder is the performance requirements. They are just laughably inaccurate.

"1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, a DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows Vista/2000/XP, mouse, keyboard and an internet connection."

I remember reading a post last week where a guy clocked his i7 to 5 GHz to get 40 fps.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    TF2 wouldn't run on a system like that, and it came out 2 years before 2009....and that was before its performance plummeted.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you buy a game that was sold as a completed product, or did you buy access to the engine test and alpha?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I bought the game because they dated it for "fall 2009", I didn't want to play alphas or betas.
    <!--quoteo(post=1945419:date=Jun 20 2012, 07:29 PM:name=longas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longas @ Jun 20 2012, 07:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought the game because they dated it for "fall 2009", I didn't want to play alphas or betas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you have any documentation to prove that? I can remember pretty far back, and I don't recall it ever being advertised as a full game guaranteed to come out in 2009.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you have any documentation to prove that? I can remember pretty far back, and I don't recall it ever being advertised as a full game guaranteed to come out in 2009.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The official teaser trailer from UWE. Min 1:00

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfjfBeC6tQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfjfBeC6tQ</a>
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1945421:date=Jun 20 2012, 07:36 PM:name=longas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longas @ Jun 20 2012, 07:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945421"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The official teaser trailer from UWE. Min 1:00

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfjfBeC6tQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfjfBeC6tQ</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I don't want to get into a big confrontation about this, but all it says is "FALL 2009". Do you have a receipt or anything that says 'full game to be released fall 2009'?
    People using release dates to trick people into buying things is pretty much older than the dinosaurs...it's basically a standard practice nowadays as far as video games go.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1945406:date=Jun 20 2012, 11:06 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ Jun 20 2012, 11:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2009 to 2012 is quite a long time<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In game design terms that is quite short actually :P
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I don't want to get into a big confrontation about this, but all it says is "FALL 2009". Do you have a receipt or anything that says 'full game to be released fall 2009'?
    People using release dates to trick people into buying things is pretty much older than the dinosaurs...it's basically a standard practice nowadays as far as video games go.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They dated the final game for 2009 and a lot of people bought it for that reason. If you dont believe me maybe someone who bought the game back in 2009 too could post here to tell that it's true, if it helps here you have an little excerpt from <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/article/62608/natural-selection-2-pre-orders" target="_blank">a old review about the game</a>:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Natural Selection 2's launch was once slated for fall 2009 but, having missed that, Cleveland recently told Shacknews that "we're only going to release when it's ready."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Anyway, I haven't created this topic to whine about the release date, I just wanted to know the state of the community/game.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Anyway, we shouldn't be beating a dead horse. If the devs could have released in 2009 they would have obviously, and afaik they apologised for not meeting that deadline and getting everyone's hopes up. Personally I pre-ordered the game in 2009 because I wanted to support UWE in the development of an epic sequel to a game I played FOR FREE for so many years. Whether the trailer then said Fall 2009 or Summer 2012, I would have pre-ordered it regardless. Though obviously I can imagine a lot of people wouldn't preorder a game if they knew it was only to come out 3 years later. It was unfortunate, though to be fair it was also stated by the developers back then that they were opening the pre-orders exceptionally early BECAUSE they needed the financial support to keep developing. (I.e most people who pre-ordered back then would have done so primarily to support UWE, because of their experience with NS 1, not because UWE was advertising their game's release all over the internet)
    <!--quoteo(post=1945427:date=Jun 20 2012, 11:50 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Jun 20 2012, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I don't want to get into a big confrontation about this, but all it says is "FALL 2009". Do you have a receipt or anything that says 'full game to be released fall 2009'?
    People using release dates to trick people into buying things is pretty much older than the dinosaurs...it's basically a standard practice nowadays as far as video games go.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Even when trying to weasel your way out of that date, it still took another year for the buyers to even recieve a completely non-functional alpha. There really isn't room for nuance here.
This discussion has been closed.