210 this week?

DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
<div class="IPBDescription">*wrings hands with excitement*</div>not rushing you guys at all, and of course you had e3 last week, but will 210 be going out this week? was hoping to see it before i go into work tomorrow, but thats prolly too quick. just heard about the new video options in the Q&A and im wondering when we were gonna be able to see it.

what else is going into 210 besides shotgun and lerk fixes ive heard about?

Comments

• cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    In the last playtester-match (announced on twitter) Hugh confirmed that energy will be removed and only pRes and tRes is used by comms!
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Que waiting on full servers *cough*
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    We're certainly aiming for a patch this week. The dropbox virus we got today really messed things up, and we're still dealing with getting sorted and setup again to continue programming and testing of 210.

--Cory
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942963:date=Jun 12 2012, 10:31 PM:name=crypt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crypt @ Jun 12 2012, 10:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In the last playtester-match (announced on twitter) Hugh confirmed that energy will be removed and only pRes and tRes is used by comms!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what, seriously??
  • MangoManMangoMan Join Date: 2003-12-28 Member: 24813Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942963:date=Jun 12 2012, 05:31 PM:name=crypt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crypt @ Jun 12 2012, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In the last playtester-match (announced on twitter) Hugh confirmed that energy will be removed and only pRes and tRes is used by comms!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ummm... I want my energy please....
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Removing energy will be good for the game. Energy breaks some basic mechanics at the moment. Things like medpack spam and cyst spam.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1942985:date=Jun 12 2012, 10:05 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jun 12 2012, 10:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Removing energy will be good for the game. Energy breaks some basic mechanics at the moment. Things like medpack spam and cyst spam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942985:date=Jun 12 2012, 09:05 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jun 12 2012, 09:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Removing energy will be good for the game. Energy breaks some basic mechanics at the moment. Things like medpack spam and cyst spam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this could, in theory, be fixed without dumping energy completely, but i agree with the move for simplification & having spammable items use the same resource pool as team structures.

will have to see if the bumped resource rate ends up leaving teams awash in tres too often. but that can be tweaked as well.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1942993:date=Jun 13 2012, 03:47 AM:name=jbaker8935)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jbaker8935 @ Jun 13 2012, 03:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942993"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->will have to see if the bumped resource rate ends up leaving teams awash in tres too often. but that can be tweaked as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If the costs are adjusted accordingly, it should not be a problem.
    Been waiting so long for energy to get removed. Good times are coming.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    edited June 2012
    if medpacks and ammo are going to cost TRes then say goodbye to any comms ever dropping them for marines unless they are swimming in tres, or you know the specific player asking is good and isn't just going to get killed 5 seconds later. ammo drops will need to give way more ammo aswell, like, totally refill a gun from 1 drop.

also, what about beacons and scans? are they going to be tres too?

if they're pres, you are never going to have enough res to do anything with, unless maybe the comm gets more res bleeding through than the rest of the team?
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1943002:date=Jun 12 2012, 09:17 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Jun 12 2012, 09:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Been waiting so long for energy to get removed. Good times are coming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1, good things finally coming down the pipe, good times are to be had.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    They are escalating through the game and making it better every build (209 was a fall but from 201-208 it has become better and better).
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1943013:date=Jun 13 2012, 07:20 AM:name=paradoxum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paradoxum @ Jun 13 2012, 07:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->also, what about beacons and scans? are they going to be tres too?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Everything that was energy is now tres.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1943013:date=Jun 13 2012, 06:20 AM:name=paradoxum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paradoxum @ Jun 13 2012, 06:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if medpacks and ammo are going to cost TRes then say goodbye to any comms ever dropping them for marines unless they are swimming in tres, or you know the specific player asking is good and isn't just going to get killed 5 seconds later. ammo drops will need to give way more ammo aswell, like, totally refill a gun from 1 drop.

also, what about beacons and scans? are they going to be tres too?

if they're pres, you are never going to have enough res to do anything with, unless maybe the comm gets more res bleeding through than the rest of the team?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wasn't a problem in NS1, which didn't even have the tres/pres distinction. No reason to believe it will be a problem now.

I think your crystal ball might be broken.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1943018:date=Jun 13 2012, 04:55 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jun 13 2012, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everything that was energy is now tres.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This will greatly impact alien expansion then as I assume this means cycsts will cost t-res.
    Cysts which are imperative to being able to build anything else costing T-res is going to mean aliens are going to struggle to expand.

Med packs and ammo I see as fair enough to make cost res (as it helps an individual) and it is not imperative to expanding.

To be fair to both sides if this is the intent the marine comm should have to expand out his Nano grid in order to expand.

Otherwise we are simply gimping the aliens early game expansion/options (which is their only path normally to victory as longer games generally go marines way).
    Cysts are not exactly tough to take down and if unconnected larger patches die off (perhaps wasting 15-20 cysts..or maybe double that in res).
    If a khamm is low on res this would be a knockout blow that the marines could easily push for early in game (simply camp the room outside of alien spawn killing cysts and crippling the alien tech).

I can only say I hope that cysts are not included in this or that aliens are now able to build off infestation otherwise we have sent the aliens into a gunfight with knives.
    Otherwise we will need to have a power socket/repair costing 10-15 T-res to balance the expansion costs for both sides (which with the alien being energy based previously was not an issue).
    We cant have the marines able to expand where ever they want with no costs beyond structures and the other side only able to build on areas of infestation which for say vent from data would cost be about 7-10 cysts (assuming 1 res min per cys as to not have decimal res) this is a very costly expansion.
    It will cost a bucket load of res to cover a map (~200+) with cysts which is needed particularly late in game when the marines have been whittled into their spawn.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1943013:date=Jun 13 2012, 01:20 AM:name=paradoxum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paradoxum @ Jun 13 2012, 01:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->also, what about beacons and scans? are they going to be tres too?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That must not be the case. It could also come for free with a cooldown or a local energy-pool that isn't shared with other abilitys.

I say instead of theorycrafting lets just wait and see how everything will be implemented.
  • meb3meb3 Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106078Members
    have they removed the power nodes and/or resource towers yet

because they should do that in the next build
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1943028:date=Jun 13 2012, 09:20 AM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Jun 13 2012, 09:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cysts are not exactly tough to take down and if unconnected larger patches die off (perhaps wasting 15-20 cysts..or maybe double that in res).
    If a khamm is low on res this would be a knockout blow that the marines could easily push for early in game (simply camp the room outside of alien spawn killing cysts and crippling the alien tech).

I can only say I hope that cysts are not included in this or that aliens are now able to build off infestation otherwise we have sent the aliens into a gunfight with knives.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sorry but you're so wrong. Even with one hive you're able to spam cysts faster than a marine or two can destroy them.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I look forward to testing out the new features. Mainly the balancing of lerk and shotgun will add more fun to the early/mid games, and the energy changes sounds like a good idea as well.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1943043:date=Jun 13 2012, 11:12 AM:name=Zeikko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeikko @ Jun 13 2012, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sorry but you're so wrong. Even with one hive you're able to spam cysts faster than a marine or two can destroy them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cysts are pointless and should just be removed, though. Make alien structures require drifters like they used to, but let them be droppable anywhere. DI can then grow automatically between the structure and the nearest hive.

Would help a lot with performance too, as cysts are one of the main culprits behind poor late game server/client performance.
    <!--quoteo(post=1943047:date=Jun 13 2012, 06:31 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Jun 13 2012, 06:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943047"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cysts are pointless and should just be removed, though. Make alien structures require drifters like they used to, but let them be droppable anywhere. DI can then grow automatically between the structure and the nearest hive.

Would help a lot with performance too, as cysts are one of the main culprits behind poor late game server/client performance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think cysts have any chance of being removed this late in development and this is the best alternative. I think cysts can perform a very useful tres sink and tertiary target for marines. Of course balance needs to be achieved with them. The cost needs to be large enough so they are not spammable, but not so much that cysts become primary targets.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1943047:date=Jun 13 2012, 08:31 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Jun 13 2012, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943047"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cysts are pointless and should just be removed, though. Make alien structures require drifters like they used to, but let them be droppable anywhere. DI can then grow automatically between the structure and the nearest hive.

Would help a lot with performance too, as cysts are one of the main culprits behind poor late game server/client performance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's no inherent reason for Cysts to cause bad performance, they're a static structure. I'm sure that they won't be a problem by 1.0.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1943055:date=Jun 13 2012, 01:13 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Jun 13 2012, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's no inherent reason for Cysts to cause bad performance, they're a static structure. I'm sure that they won't be a problem by 1.0.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could it be the algorithm that calculates cyst connectivity all the time? Nevertheless it has been obvious for a long time that Cyst spam causes huge performance dips. I am not sure if it is still the case in the latest builds. Whatever it is i'm sure the code can be optimized instead of removing the cysts. Removing cysts because of gameplay is totally another discussion though.
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1943052:date=Jun 13 2012, 12:07 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jun 13 2012, 12:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943052"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe, maybe not. I don't think cysts have any chance of being removed this late in development and this is the best alternative. I think cysts can perform a very useful tres sink and tertiary target for marines. Of course balance needs to be achieved with them. The cost needs to be large enough so they are not spammable, but not so much that cysts become primary targets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aliens don't need tres sinks simply for the sake of being tres sinks. You can achieve the same goal by decreasing the rate of tres production from harvesters. Marines certainly don't need "tertiary targets". Attacking static objects is one of the most boring tasks in this game and when you combine that with the relatively poor return from killing a cyst, it really becomes a chore.

One of the biggest problems in NS2 design right now, at least the way I see it, is the lack of KISS.

<!--quoteo(post=1943055:date=Jun 13 2012, 12:13 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Jun 13 2012, 12:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's no inherent reason for Cysts to cause bad performance, they're a static structure. I'm sure that they won't be a problem by 1.0.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's no inherent reason why a game with NS2's level of graphics should require a 4.7GHz CPU to even get a stable 30 fps during late game, yet it still does. I don't share your (blind) optimism with regards to performance improvements.
    <!--quoteo(post=1943058:date=Jun 13 2012, 07:34 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Jun 13 2012, 07:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens don't need tres sinks simply for the sake of being tres sinks. You can achieve the same goal by decreasing the rate of tres production from harvesters. Marines certainly don't need "tertiary targets". Attacking static objects is one of the most boring tasks in this game and when you combine that with the relatively poor return from killing a cyst, it really becomes a chore.

One of the biggest problems in NS2 design right now, at least the way I see it, is the lack of KISS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cysts are pretty simple. Regardless of whether they are good or not, we've got cysts and this is probably the best way to make them helpful to gameplay (or the least harmful for people who don't like cysts).
    When you're keeping features for no other reason than to keep them, to the point where you're trying to invent a purpose for them, you're cluttering up the gameplay. Any feature that isn't in some way essential to gameplay, should be mercilessly cut out of the game.

The best way to create open, enjoyable gameplay is to cut everything to the bone. As counter-intuitive as that may seem, less really is more in this case.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1943047:date=Jun 13 2012, 06:31 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Jun 13 2012, 06:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943047"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cysts are pointless and should just be removed, though. Make alien structures require drifters like they used to, but let them be droppable anywhere. DI can then grow automatically between the structure and the nearest hive.

I agree that Cyst currently add more visual effects to than game play value. It puts restrictions on alien play eg: you can't drop a forward shade anywhere. Less room for aggressive and creative play.
    Whether there are ways to improve on that is another story.

<!--quoteo(post=1943058:date=Jun 13 2012, 07:34 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Jun 13 2012, 07:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens don't need tres sinks simply for the sake of being tres sinks. You can achieve the same goal by decreasing the rate of tres production from harvesters. Marines certainly don't need "tertiary targets". Attacking static objects is one of the most boring tasks in this game and when you combine that with the relatively poor return from killing a cyst, it really becomes a chore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I also agree that killing cysts feels like a chore, having to kill each and every single cyst on the way gets old very quick. However this might be fixed if braking the cyst chain would be more effective.
    I also agree with: ,,Aliens don't need tres sinks simply for the sake of being tres sinks." This fits both teams and both resources types.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think that the Cysts helps explain the infestation/creep, and it does so in an intuitive way. It's easy for a new player to visually see and understand that infestation comes from cysts, and for a marine player killing them stops and eventually kills infestation. And I really like the way infestation is right now, it's a clear visual way of see who controls a territory, it adds a very special mood to the game, that is unique.

I understand the performance concerns, and while it might be boring to kill them, it's just one of those jobs, that needs to be done for the team. Building structures is also boring, same is welding. However with all of these, it's quite clear that if noone does it, you will most likely lose in the end.

I'm up for changing and modifying the idea, but I feel it's a good concept at the core. I still think we should atleast play a few rounds of 210 before we start changing the new cysts :)
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1943043:date=Jun 13 2012, 09:12 PM:name=Zeikko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeikko @ Jun 13 2012, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sorry but you're so wrong. Even with one hive you're able to spam cysts faster than a marine or two can destroy them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How am I wrong in saying that making cysts cost t-res will cripple aliens?

How does cyst not having a cost actually impact the balance of the game?

For aliens to build they need cysts to get them there, as such there has to be a level of spamabilitiy in cysts as otherwise it will cost 15 res to get to a res tower just to be able to build it.

This has the potential to cripple any alien advance.
    With the marine comm able to ping the entire map he can send his marines to take out cysts in particular areas and prevent the aliens expanding to get res towers or any map control at all.
    Mean while he could have 1 marine off building and locking down the rest of the map, aliens wont be able to lock down or try to hold the marines out of parts of the map as they will be too busy trying to keep cysts alive to save res.
    A cyst is a lot weaker than a Res tower, take out a cyst with 4 swipes of your axe...cut off connection...res tower will die over time.
    Any attempt to reconnect will cost more res and make any upgrades such as Leap, blink, stomp etc harder for the aliens to get.