[Project] Gorge Plush Dolls

StopSpazzingStopSpazzing Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42529Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Cute & Chubby Gorge Plush Dolls</div>Original post: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118047&view=findpost&p=1931200" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1931200</a>

Currently looking in the cost of making plush dolls of a gorge. Minimum required to order is 1000 dolls. Have already send them a request with the size included in the original post, but can email them and change the size if needed. Wanted to see what size people would think would be a good size. Will this be a chubby alien that sits on your computer desk to motivate you to support the team? Or a large chubby, stuffed animal that is a size of an average cat to scare people with or a conversation starter, esp. if left in full view in your car.

Any ideas or suggestions? Please bear in mind if the price is too much, not going to waste anyone's time.

Comments

• SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    I think it should be maybe the size of a cat. That would be decent because then you can cuddle with it! hahaha, but in all seriousness, probably the size of a cat would be good because it can function both way. I'm overjoyed to see you puting this process into motion. Are you making a basecamp? But man, 1,000 pre-orders might be tough to fill.
  • StopSpazzingStopSpazzing Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42529Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1931229:date=Apr 28 2012, 10:42 AM:name=SkymanderX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SkymanderX @ Apr 28 2012, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it should be maybe the size of a cat. That would be decent because then you can cuddle with it! hahaha, but in all seriousness, probably the size of a cat would be good because it can function both way. I'm overjoyed to see you puting this process into motion. Are you making a basecamp? But man, 1,000 pre-orders might be tough to fill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do not need a Basecamp, just wanted to promote this idea.

That's exactly what I'm worried about. Currently looking at prices, hoping they wont be too high...I'll start small, calculate the cost of shipping each unit and get an overall price. I'm not looking to make any money, but want to be fully reimbursed for the cost of paying for creating and shipping them...so will be completely even cost wise. I really want one for myself too as I'm sure they will be super soft and cuddly. =)
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited April 2012
    I think that I would love it if the belly was just big enough to be used as a pillow/headrest, so about the size of a small cat.

Keep in mind that the Gorge's high spine and low belly make its overall shape ellipsoid bordering on spherical, though. A skinny Gorge would still be nice, but it just wouldn't be the little piggy we've all grown accustomed to.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    hahaha, indeed. I'd myself by one, but i'm sure you don't want to end up with 900 gorge plusies. I'd go insane! Looking to hear how the prices are going to turn out.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    If the non-existent budget allows it, make it the Onos' statue sized and a squeeze toy! Squeeze to open the Gorge's mouth to simulate his signature taunt!
    Let's not get crazy here Psiwarp. Making a plushie with sounds is a different ballpark, with different costs and different standards of quality control.

I think we should stick to the basic stuffing, personally. Try to keep it small...etc.
  • RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    There are companies with a 600 toy min...Not that that's any better lol

And UWE might want 100 or two for when they go to events like PAX. As long as you pitch it to them in a... Convincing way
  • Angry Hillbilly 2Angry Hillbilly 2 Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149741Members
    edited April 2012
    I think there are 2 major critera in design of it:

1. Does it look enough like a gorge but still look cute enough to hug. This thing is (as seen also by concept art as well) something that spends its life spitting goo and vomiting up new life forms :P
    2. Is it big enough to hug comftably. Small is good en all but the major selling point of it is its "adorableness" to put it in a word. And as humans we have a natrual drawing to hug and connect with things we find "cute"..etc (e.g. cats which i agree is a good size). Too small and its just a nick nack that gets forgotten too big vice versa.

The chubbyness is definatly gonna have to be maintained. Thats one of the major asthetics that makes it seem cute. :)
  • AlchemyAlchemy Join Date: 2005-02-08 Member: 40330Members
    Once you know pricing and delivery costs you could use kickstarter to get commitment before ordering the require volume.

I want one.
  • StopSpazzingStopSpazzing Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42529Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1931348:date=Apr 28 2012, 04:44 PM:name=Alchemy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alchemy @ Apr 28 2012, 04:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Once you know pricing and delivery costs you could use kickstarter to get commitment before ordering the require volume.

I want one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And this is exactly what I will be doing.

Going to ask for larger size too to see diff in prices...I think the size of a small cat...hold on (measures cat) 14in long and 7 fat.
    Comparing it to the actual model, 2x1 width/height won't be enough. You'll need approximately 8x5 proportions to go from snout to bum and from spine to feet.

I'd like to see if 16" by 10" is economically feasible, myself.
  • Angry Hillbilly 2Angry Hillbilly 2 Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149741Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931412:date=Apr 29 2012, 07:31 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Apr 29 2012, 07:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Comparing it to the actual model, 2x1 width/height won't be enough. You'll need approximately 8x5 proportions to go from snout to bum and from spine to feet.

I'd like to see if 16" by 10" is economically feasible, myself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 yea 16" by 10" if possible i think would really make it :) but if not economic then of course no
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I'd prefer a small one you could sit in the palm of your hand.

Smaller = cheaper to make, cheaper to ship, quality will look better than larger ones
    With small ones though, you need much finer stitching/assembly to get the same details on it, and you need to make the materials sturdier so that they keep their details with time.

I'm not saying it would be more expensive, but I don't think there's a constant cost/size ratio independent of detail.
    OK guys, they finally replied.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thank you for contacting customplush.com.

Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co. is a full spectrum manufacturer of plush toys and other promotional items. I can see from your inquiry that you are interested in obtaining information on having your product made by our company.

I am happy to help in any way I can. First, please note we do have a Minimum Order Quantity of 1,000 units but can range higher based on design. Any plush that requires sound will have a minimum order quantity of 10,000 units..

Please note that all of our quotes are *ALL INCLUSIVE* unless told otherwise. Your quote will include the following;
    -project manager
    -plush unit
    -shipping
    -testing to ASTM standards
    -sewn in label
    -hang tag

Also I would like to offer you placement of your item on our website, www.stuffedanimals.com if you choose to move forward into production with our company. This gets your design in front of over 100,000 customer per month! Please let me know if this is something you might be interested in.

In order to give you the most accurate *ALL INCLUSIVE* quote I will need the following information;
    -specific project dimensions
    -project name
    -quantity you would like to be quoted on
    -delivery location

Once the above information is received I will be able to supply you with our best estimate price quote.

At Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Company we are always looking to better ourselves. Please tell me how you heard about us. If you searched us on the internet, please provide us with what key words you used to find us.

Please contact me with any questions.

I look forward to working with you on your project.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So i need an exact drawing of a gorge and the sizes of each of its parts, measurements and all.
    <!--quoteo(post=1933082:date=May 3 2012, 09:15 AM:name=StopSpazzing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StopSpazzing @ May 3 2012, 09:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OK guys, they finally replied.

So i need an exact drawing of a gorge and the sizes of each of its parts, measurements and all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Opening the Gorge in a model viewer would probably get you the most exact measurements possible.

I stick by my 16"x10" recommendation for the overall scaling, but that's really just an opinion.
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2012
    There would also need to be someone who can make a cute drawing of what the plush Gorge would look like. Something close to what the in-game version looks like as well as a simplistic cartoony look (as another poster said; make the goo-spitting and spewing life into something 'adorable.') I personally would like to see patches of slime on the Gorge plush and maybe a mini-Hydra plush for a pricier version (say it has a pocket on its underside that you can take it out from.)
    edited May 2012
    Why not just port over a 6-part cubic set of images from the Gorge model viewer?
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1933137:date=May 3 2012, 12:17 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ May 3 2012, 12:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not just port over a 6-part cubic set of images from the Gorge model viewer?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They can; I'm just saying Spazzing might want a cartoon-like drawing as well to show what the actual plush would want to be looked like (Or maybe customplush designs one themselves.)
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    I will totally buy one. It will hang out in my living room on the couch, so couch pillow sized would be ideal. I'd pay up to $50 but other plushies that size seem to be around $25-30. I'd happily pay a premium if I knew some money was going to UWE and if the design is really high quality.
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd want one too. I would like it to be sized big enough for pillow use. I'm thinking it would be more loosely stuffed, or it wouldn't be nice to use as a pillow. This form would make it not suitable to stand as a kind of statue though, more like lying down belly-slide style if you put it down.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    I too have wanted a true plush gorge for a while

and 16x10 '' seems about right

the biggest sticking points are going to be a) getting the orders filled and b) you not getting sued by UWE for using their content even thou you are just breaking even c) making sure it's quality

(IIRC these were the sticking points last time a serious gorge plush discussion went on it was sometime around 2.2 ? )

Also if this goes further, someone ask KylieGirl if she can do a quick mock up / sketch she is fantastic at drawing gorges (and cute gorges) and her drawing has improved amazingly. Also she is super NSPlayer so it shouldn't be too hard to get her to kick down
    By the way this is all awesome and all but how are things on the distrabution side? Buying the first 1000 is fine but who is going to mail the things to orders...etc. Because i know the UWE office have said many times the reason merchandise doesnt exist yet is because they dont want to be at the post office 24/7 and wrapping t-shirts n gifts...etc when they have a game to develop. :/
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1934376:date=May 8 2012, 03:06 AM:name=Angry Hillbilly 2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angry Hillbilly 2 @ May 8 2012, 03:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934376"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By the way this is all awesome and all but how are things on the distrabution side? Buying the first 1000 is fine but who is going to mail the things to orders...etc. Because i know the UWE office have said many times the reason merchandise doesnt exist yet is because they dont want to be at the post office 24/7 and wrapping t-shirts n gifts...etc when they have a game to develop. :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lets find the cost of the dolls first. I need exact sizing of the gorge...length of: scales on back, overall size, head size, mouth size, roundness of its chubby belly, etc. If i could get a cartoon drawing...would through out some suggestions and go from there. :)
    Any new news on this?
  • rhgunmastarhgunmasta Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63262Members
    ok i definitely want one of these, and will there be a little pocket on his belly so i can put a glowstick in and give him his glowing belly?
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Well if they wanted to outsource for the distribution of these babies, I'm game.. I've got business in promotional products.. T-shirts.. mugs.. you name it. It could even be plushs.

So UWE if you want to outsource for promotional products like this, I'm your man.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Would be a very good idea to get this cleared through UWE first before making arrangements. I know one of our PT's attempted to get things together for a plush, but something happened.
  • Death_by_bulletsDeath_by_bullets Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27336Members
    Personally I would love an NS2 T-Shirt...