Unstick function

Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
<div class="IPBDescription">would instantly make beta more playable</div>A function for unstyicking characters, would instantly make the beta more playable.

Comments

• tux77tux77 Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152340Members
    There was a old function that was /stuck worked very nice but it seem doesnt work on ns2.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    Type <i>kill</i> in the console.
  • StarFlyStarFly Join Date: 2012-04-27 Member: 151158Members
    It's pretty awesome if you type /kill as Onos [NOT]
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Fixing the stuck issues would be a better fix, but yeah a /stuck command like NS 1.0x when the player collision hulls were screwed up and the Fade randomly teleported inside walls would be nice. It seems NS2 is ironically suffering from the same Fade in wall issues :P
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Map geometry is really bad in areas. Most notably around stairs and also random/complex floor geometry.

I evolved in cart tunnels the other day, and somehow got stuck between the floor beams.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    A lot of props have already been disabled from the collision mesh and replaced by using invisible geometry in problem areas like the tram line on tram and stairs have been changed into slopes. Not only because of stuck issues, but snagging issues for the Skulky and his wallhopping speed loss due to those.

It might be an idea to go over the areas a few more times to see if there are more areas like this (which there probably are :P)
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1940066:date=May 30 2012, 12:36 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ May 30 2012, 12:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I evolved in cart tunnels the other day, and somehow got stuck between the floor beams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's where I usually run into problems of this type ... after choosing a clever area to evolve.
    I remember the /stuck command ... man i am OLD
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    I'll look into it, the NS1 stuck-command was primitive, it shouldn't be hard to reproduce in NS2.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    edited May 2012
    im always getting stuck in tram repair room as gorge..when i try to walk through the gap between the computer console and the column .. i manage that every time....
    every day, i always forget about that map bug
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Also, its useful to annotate the specific locations you get stuck. For example, when I get stuck as skulk while spawning from an egg, I type: "Annotate got stuck while spawning from an egg here" into the console. Make sure to give enough info about what side you were and what you were doing so that it can be replicated.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited May 2012
    @player,
    you could do something like:

player:SetOrigin( player:GetOrigin()+ Vector(0, 1.5, 0))

Maybe randomize x, y or z from Vector you add, and maybe set a timer so the command couldn't be used too often.
    Oh and I think it have to be checked is there's a wall above you or you can stuck out if the lvl.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    My /stuck command when Gorge is firing a Hydra at my feet!
  • olisisolisis Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12944Members
    edited May 2012
    Not to derail but is /kill not working in the new patch? I just got out of a game where I belly-slid into a stalagmite near cave hive and /kill did absolutely nothing.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1940331:date=May 31 2012, 03:10 PM:name=olisis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (olisis @ May 31 2012, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940331"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to derail but is /kill not working in the new patch? I just got out of a game where I belly-slid into a stalagmite near cave hive and /kill did absolutely nothing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The command is just kill, without the slash :).
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To keep the goal of the beta, this new "stuck" command should not only free you if you are really stuck, it should also note your position and send it to a tracer for the specific mappers. It's the best way to fix map-bugs when every beta-player can report these.
    edited May 2012
    The annotation system could be used for that:

Got stuck here as >insert class here<

<i>Come to think of it and completely off topic... Heat maps for combat action and perhaps it could be used for stuck issues as well</i>
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1940390:date=May 31 2012, 01:49 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ May 31 2012, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The annotation system could be used for that:

Got stuck here as >insert class here<

<i>Come to think of it and completely off topic... Heat maps for combat action and perhaps it could be used for stuck issues as well</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sadly nobody knows how to use the annotation system. At least the ones I have asked on the servers I played. So nobody uses it. Why not make it automatic on the stuck command? The data of which lifeform you are can be added automatic too.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Yea that sounds nice, but it's probably a very bad idea. I'm thinking abuse here, some tard going about spamming the stuck-command everywhere. I've always considered the annotation-command (and the endgame-statistics) to be very abuse-prone, being a direct line to the developers which can easily be manipulated. I don't think we've seen any such grief yet, but nonetheless a worstcase-scenario should be considered. I'll make it dump the info in the server-log, so server-admins can be copy-paste it into a map's thread for the author's benefit.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    I was gorge and fighting in the little hallway between logistics and shipping in tram and got stuck between some whips and a Craig. I had moved in and out of that area several times to heal them, suddenly I was stuck. I couldn’t even turn around. I had to rr. This morning I started a game to double check the position and couldn’t get into the command chair. The binding was correct.
  • -Azona--Azona- Join Date: 2012-04-07 Member: 150074Members
    edited May 2012
    should make it so you can always jump, I mostly get stuck on most stupid places where you should not go stuck, little rock or little differents in the floor.. realy stupid places.

I think its more of engine issue, never got these stuck issues with other engines, even though seem stuck you could jump out of them, as soon you get stuck here for what for reason you also cant jump or what ever.

Removing obsticals and make invisible walls into the maps is sure a temp sollution but if not fixing it in the engine you keep getting issues and every map made need to have invisible walls that makes non logical behavior in combat.

For example, stairways with open steps, you should able to shoot skulk or alien true it, but you cant because of invisible walls.

Need fix it in the engine, not every map maker will go make invisible walls every where, you got this nice looking map, but in fact its flat and square because have cut off every corner with invisible walls to prevent you get stuck.

But could use becon like ability you can use when get stuck, once every xx minute, and get back to you hive or comm station, ofc you could use it to get to your hive fast but put it on 15 min CD or once per round so if you abuse it and get stuck after it you have to die.
  • pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940024:date=May 30 2012, 06:32 AM:name=Hunter.S.T.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hunter.S.T. @ May 30 2012, 06:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940024"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A function for unstyicking characters, would instantly make the beta more playable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have been relentlessly scouring over the current maps finding areas where players get stuck. I have reported numerous areas. I am confident that by V1.0 90 percent of the places players get stuck in will be resolved. I do also like the /stuck command that others have mentioned.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    I can't remember the last time I got stuck before 209. Now it happens at least a couple times per match when I spawn as an alien.