Randoming Teams, preventing readyrooming

Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
<div class="IPBDescription">make them play or leave server!</div>A server side option to auto assign all ready roomers once the game is starting, and prevent readyrooming if readyrooming makes teams uneven would in my opinion instantly make the beta more playable.

Comments

• tux77tux77 Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152340Members
    Nice idea else stacking pro marines team like in ns1 will come ....
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    Ready room is a legitimate team and partying in the ready room while complaining about the game has been around since NS1.

It's been around since cavement played NS 1.0 on their stone desktops.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Perhaps ready room rave music that gets louder and louder the longer the game goes on... And then eventually, after a few minutes, switches to Justin Bieber... That should get everyone into the game fairly quick smart? Amirite guys?
  • MephitMephit Join Date: 2012-05-30 Member: 152747Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940536:date=May 31 2012, 08:39 PM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ May 31 2012, 08:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940536"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps ready room rave music that gets louder and louder the longer the game goes on... And then eventually, after a few minutes, switches to Justin Bieber... That should get everyone into the game fairly quick smart? Amirite guys?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Expanding your target audience to include teenaged girls. Now you're thinking, UWE!
  • Not FlayraNot Flayra Join Date: 2012-05-18 Member: 152282Members
    Pfft. Hugh, if we can't afford to license Back in Black or Thunderstruck to play while the exos are walking around, there's no way we're going to be able to pay the kind of money bowl-cut-boy's parents want. It might actually be cheaper to just ship a USB device required to play the game that will deliver a very painful electric shock to the user instead.

...actually, I've always wanted to be able to do that. Hmm.
  • AezayAezay Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15660Members
    edited May 2012
    I've often seen games start when most players are still in the ready room, perhaps the server should wait a little longer before letting such games commence. I'm not saying a game will put indefinitely on hold if the majority of people remain in the ready room, but instead adjust the start countdown timer according to how many percent are still in the ready room.

There is also the issue with afk people idling in the ready room, those should just be kicked. Such a feature could probably be added with a mod of some sort?

The ready room is a great feature of Natural Selection, it lets players have fun and talk across teams about the previous games. If such discussions take a minute or two, then so be it, it's what makes the NS community so strong.
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1940543:date=May 31 2012, 01:55 PM:name=Not Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Not Flayra @ May 31 2012, 01:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pfft. Hugh, if we can't afford to license Back in Black or Thunderstruck to play while the exos are walking around, there's no way we're going to be able to pay the kind of money bowl-cut-boy's parents want. It might actually be cheaper to just ship a USB device required to play the game that will deliver a very painful electric shock to the user instead.

...actually, I've always wanted to be able to do that. Hmm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What's the deal with remixes? There's thousands of remixes for Thunderstruck (some surprisingly good;) can't they just steal that and put it in the game? Or we can always blame the creator of the maps ready-room for the music put-in; saves UWE a little time before getting sued.
  • Not FlayraNot Flayra Join Date: 2012-05-18 Member: 152282Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1940572:date=May 31 2012, 01:40 PM:name=Banzai¥)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Banzai¥ @ May 31 2012, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940572"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's the deal with remixes? There's thousands of remixes for Thunderstruck (some surprisingly good;) can't they just steal that and put it in the game? Or we can always blame the creator of the maps ready-room for the music put-in; saves UWE a little time before getting sued.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Technically those remixes are illegal. If a map creator puts them in, then it's kind of on their head, and they're the ones open to being sued by everyone involved.
    Just because it's an original creative work doesn't mean that the source material was, and does not absolve that legal culpability; to use a remix, you need to get:
    -The remixer's permission as the performer
    -The original band's permission as the original performer
    -The writer/composer's permission
    -The original distributor/publisher's permission if copyright on the original performance used to make the remix applies

...and just the last three are expensive and time-consuming. Much less <i>tracking down</i> the remixer who usually is using a silly name with no real reliable registration body, but can still just pop up out of the woodwork X days/years later and provide the original files as proof that they are the performer of the new derivative work, and boom, lawsuit. It's why large movies either make their own remix in-house when there ARE such awesome community-produced pieces available, or (more commonly) just go with the stock song. It simplifies that whole sprawling, massive legal headache tremendously.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940558:date=May 31 2012, 07:18 PM:name=Aezay)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aezay @ May 31 2012, 07:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940558"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is also the issue with afk people idling in the ready room, those should just be kicked. Such a feature could probably be added with a mod of some sort?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Already done that, it'll show up once the new version is out of development-hell.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940536:date=May 31 2012, 10:39 AM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ May 31 2012, 10:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940536"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps ready room rave music that gets louder and louder the longer the game goes on... And then eventually, after a few minutes, switches to Justin Bieber... That should get everyone into the game fairly quick smart? Amirite guys?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

pmsl awesome idea :)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The ready room is a great feature of Natural Selection, it lets players have fun and talk across teams about the previous games. If such discussions take a minute or two, then so be it, it's what makes the NS community so strong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a good point, it helps people get better to talk about what happened in the game, and understand why a certain team lost, or were difficult to defeat.

Of course, such discussions could still be held once the next game had started, using text chat. I still think this is a good idea, many ns1 servers accomplished similar systems to this by using mods, and i felt that it improoved the quality of game on the servers.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If you prevent people from readyrooming they'll either
    1. Leave the server or
    2. Stay on the team and be useless (or worse, exploit/grief)

If teams become imbalanced during a game, the best response is for the game to end quickly and to start a new (balanced) match.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    edited May 2012
    The ready room should be a level from Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Eventually creepers appear and will chase you into one of the teams.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940586:date=May 31 2012, 12:13 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ May 31 2012, 12:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you prevent people from readyrooming they'll either
    1. Leave the server or
    2. Stay on the team and be useless (or worse, exploit/grief)

If teams become imbalanced during a game, the best response is for the game to end quickly and to start a new (balanced) match.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This isnt to force a team balance mid game, its to join everybody up at the start of a round, who hasnt allready teamed up by the start of the live round.

I would rather people leave, and let someone else come to fill the server, than sit in the readyroom, spamming j2 in console. Even now, there are often enough players to fill their spots.

As for greifers, so far ive only met one, and it did make me wish for a votekick command, but thats another thread.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    I think it should be a configurable option for the server, that a player must join a team within X minutes or be booted from the server - but not a mandatory thing.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    If you take away the ready room you might as well put in lame xbox style matchmaking.

Just leave it. It's good for the community.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    Readyrooming is fine, it allows people to end a game quickly so they can start another one. Like surrendering in LoL.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I saw some servers in NS1 have an autojoin teams option. So when the match started, it just added the rest of the players in readyroom to random teams, or kicked them if they were afk too long.

I guess since NS2 can be modded as well, the same kind of mods will happen again, and you can join servers that allow readyroom idling, or those that force you to play.

However if the team is losing, going readyroom to end it earlier to start a new game is in my option something that we should keep in the game.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1940025:date=May 30 2012, 02:34 PM:name=Hunter.S.T.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hunter.S.T. @ May 30 2012, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940025"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A server side option to auto assign all ready roomers once the game is starting, and prevent readyrooming if readyrooming makes teams uneven would in my opinion instantly make the beta more playable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like that idea!
    Also, if the players are actually AFK for a long time they should be put back to the readyroom I guess?
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I agree the ready-room could be improved a lot. By adding some interactive entities it could be transformed into a real in-game matchmaking system.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to point out that you already have a match making system in game. It's called the ready room. I think you should make better use of it before implementing an additional system.

For example having a 1-2 minutes warm-up/discussion time before the game starts, waiting for players to join the team (display something is the ready room to make people join). When the game starts players left in ready room auto-join. Make everything configurable (times, ...) by servers admin, and add something to deal with the afk's.

After the game everybody go back to ready room to celebrate, put a holographic screen showing some replays of the game (you already have the game recorder), or some stupid achievements, a gorge Piñata, I don't know.

Flat text is so web 2.0.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • UlmontUlmont Join Date: 2011-10-02 Member: 125211Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I'd personally like to see a slightly more forgiving system.

What I'd like to see happen:

[Mapload]

Tex pop-up on screen counts down to game start. Players have a certain amount of time (say, up until 30 secs after game-start) to join a team, or they'll be auto assigned
    BUT
    Players can choose 'J3' in console (or something along that line), which allows them to chill in ready-room and go spectator at any time, but prevents them from joining a team for say... 10 minutes.

Players can leave their team to go to the ready room, so long as their team has a certain percentage of the enemy team's players. (80% maybe) This allows players to hop out if they want (I usually go RR just before shutting down the game), but prevents teams from becoming too imbalanced. Adding a forfeit vote would be nice, too.
    Players who RR to go afk can set an afk timer so they don't get booted, but timer is limited, and if they exceed timer, they'll get booted.
    Players who take no action in-game for say... 5 mins are kick to rr, and after another few minutes kicked from game.
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    edited June 2012
    Holy ###### it's fine the way it is.

If people get forced into it they will get angry and go find a different server without it. Readyrooming is fine and in all the years of NS1 it wasn't a problem. Allowing people to stay in the readyroom has provided for some incredibly hilarious experiences, and your reasons for wanting to implement team-forcing are shoddy at best.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1940558:date=May 31 2012, 09:18 PM:name=Aezay)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aezay @ May 31 2012, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940558"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've often seen games start when most players are still in the ready room, perhaps the server should wait a little longer before letting such games commence. I'm not saying a game will put indefinitely on hold if the majority of people remain in the ready room, but instead adjust the start countdown timer according to how many percent are still in the ready room.

There is also the issue with afk people idling in the ready room, those should just be kicked. Such a feature could probably be added with a mod of some sort?

The ready room is a great feature of Natural Selection, it lets players have fun and talk across teams about the previous games. If such discussions take a minute or two, then so be it, it's what makes the NS community so strong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^THIS! The solution sounds good too.

Oh and I can't see, why nobody understands that forcing auto-team-joins is a VERY bad idea. A player that idles in the ready room may be a wasted server slot. But a player that idles on a team in a running game, because he was auto joined while taking a shat can ruin the whole game for that team.
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it should go the other way around. Make the server admins be able to set an amount of players in the game, and the same or more as the total players for the server. With this you can join a "full" server and spectate or hang out in the ready room! Like the idea of a warmup before the game starts, or timer based on % of filled teams.

(And j3 or F3 should be join random, not ready room, that's already on rr or F4 :D)