Mosquito Noise

ByekaByeka Name changed from Freak83Toronto Join Date: 2003-03-13 Member: 14484Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Not everyone can hear it - can you?</div>The Mosquito noise is a high pitch sound that is undetectable to some and can be heard by others. Typically you lose the ability to hear higher pitched frequencies with age. It was originally used as a way to ward of teens and youth in Europe but then it was argued it went against Human Rights to do this.

I put together a series of 12 YouTube videos with the sound playing at increasingly higher pitches. I showed it to everyone at work and it was pretty interesting. Some could hear it almost to the end and one of my bosses couldn't even hear it at the lowest level (although it was irritating his wife as the video played).

Personally, I can hear it up to around 17 khz.

How far you can go before you stop hearing it?

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yzZhSxqLJQ0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yzZhSxqLJQ0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Comments

• That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    16 khz I can hear but it's subtle

in a high pitched annoying way
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited May 2012
    Okay, this confused me. I clicked the internal 'video link' annotation on the embedded Youtube and couldn't hear anything (for 12khz). Same for 14. Thought I was stone-deaf, but then I opened the video proper and I can hear it.

Why didn't you just make one long video with a gradual increase?

Anyway, here's my 'stats'. 28 years old (I think). I work around jet engines, afterburners, and gas turbine generators all day. I listen to my music full-blast in my car. However, I have annual hearing exams and they *claim* that I do extremely well. I'm dubious, though I've never seen the results.

I do have very mild tinnitus. When I'm in the soundproof booth, there's a ringing in my ears that is almost deafening, though when I'm out and about I don't notice it.

I'm turning my speakers all the way up, so let's do this.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LNjPmhbPc9I"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LNjPmhbPc9I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

<b>8-16khz</b>: Deafeningly loud. Ouch.

<b>17khz</b>: I hear a large change in pitch. However, it pitches <i>down</i> from 16khz. Still annoying. Is no longer annoying, and is much more subtle than previous tones, as are all the tones past this point.

<b>17.5khz</b>: Another shift in pitch down. Can still hear it, though it's no longer annoying.

<b>18khz</b>: Once again, the pitch shifts down. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be ultrahigh? Or are my ears only <i>mostly</i> damaged and parts of them still work great?

<b>19khz</b>: I don't know if I'm hearing the tone. I heard a small but distinct shift in pitch upwards, but not as much as previously. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

<b>20khz</b>: Nothing.

So, assuming that what I was hearing were indeed the tones, I'm honestly surprised. I don't know why I heard the pitch shift down, but that I did hear it shift at all means I heard something, I suppose. Maybe next time I'll ask the audiologist about it.

Or maybe I cheated by having my massive speaker system turned to full blast.
  • ByekaByeka Name changed from Freak83 Toronto Join Date: 2003-03-13 Member: 14484Members, Constellation
    Hey Temphage, here is my take on it.

First, there were a few reasons why I made a series of 12 videos rather than just one. From an SEO standpoint, I am more likely to be found on multiple videos with having keyphrases "Mosquito Noise 10 khz", "Mosquito Noise 12 khz" and so forth. I've also wanted to experiment with both annotations and having a YouTube series of videos. Since all the videos are also monetized, it gives more opportunities for Adsense revenue. Lastly, short 30 seconds clip seem more appealing to me than one long video clip of this. If you want to go check out a specific frequency, it is easy to pick the appropriate video. None of this would have been possible with just creating one video.

As far as the sounds go in the video, the volume does steadily seem to decrease with the higher pitch which is why I suggest in the upper-end videos to make sure your sound is turned up. How I made them was by taking a short 2-3 second clip of the sound and copy+pasting the middle portion of the track. I made sure to not copy+paste the beginning or end in order to ensure there were no fluctuations. What you are listening to is I guarantee, a steady sound in all of the videos. If you are detecting oddities I would suspect it either has to do with your speakers or the way your brain interprets the sound, however I am simply speculating.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2012
    My dad could hear the one at 12Khz (<age 50) at age 65

I could hear the 17Khz (<age 24) at age 30

Interactive videos > one big video in any case Byeka both in interactivity and SEO indeed! :)
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It might only be because of the ###### headphones I'm wearing, but as long as I kept turning the volume up I could hear it all the way to 22khz, albeit faintly. But the volume did seem to "drop" very sharply at 17khz, and I thought that was my limit at first.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1940076:date=May 30 2012, 05:03 PM:name=Byeka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Byeka @ May 30 2012, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940076"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since all the videos are also monetized, it gives more opportunities for Adsense revenue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So you basically just made this post to get money. Do people running AdBlock get you hits? I hope not you giant wankpot.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->None of this would have been possible with just creating one video.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you don't know what the hell you're doing, sure. Intra-video annotations are easy and possible and plenty of people make 'main menus' for their videos using them.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I heard something up to 21kHz, although I had to gradually increase the volume. Either my hearing is ###### fantastic for a 30 year old, or I'm doing something wrong. But 22kHz was completely silent, so I guess I was doing it right?
  • ByekaByeka Name changed from Freak83 Toronto Join Date: 2003-03-13 Member: 14484Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1940208:date=May 30 2012, 06:06 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ May 30 2012, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940208"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you basically just made this post to get money. Do people running AdBlock get you hits? I hope not you giant wankpot.

If you don't know what the hell you're doing, sure. Intra-video annotations are easy and possible and plenty of people make 'main menus' for their videos using them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I made this post because I made something I'm proud of and wanted to show it off. I do that with all of my videos and creations whether they are adsense'd or not. Check my previous posts and threads I've started. But why wouldn't you put ads on your YouTube videos if you can? Well actually, about half of mine are adsensed the other half aren't. They've earned me a grand total of $2 since I've been running the program for over a year so clearly I made this post to become filthy rich. No, as I said, I made something I think is cool and want to show it off and see what other people think.

I'm actually amazed you can read my response, pull that out and insult me based on it. Oh well, you obviously don't get out much.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    edited May 2012
    Woohoo I can hear 22khz still. Kinda amazing to me since I've been around high powered rifles, motorcycles, and drag cars all my life and I'm relatively deaf.

Also, some speakers can't go up to that high of a pitch, keep that in mind. Most will stop around 20-21khz. Also, it sounds more like a sine wave @ whateverKHz than a mosquito.
    <!--quoteo(post=1940233:date=May 31 2012, 12:56 AM:name=Byeka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Byeka @ May 31 2012, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940233"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm actually amazed you can read my response, pull that out and insult me based on it. Oh well, you obviously don't get out much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    He is Temphage. You may know him as Uranium, the name he used to use. He can and will insult you based on pretty much anything. I think most of us have just grown used to it or something.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I could hear 16, but not 17. I'm 26.

Bear in mind there's a limit to what your audio system can produce. The highest note you hear might just be the highest note your sound system can produce.

--Scythe--
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    Your first video only has one Hertz range. You should have had the one that goes from 12-20, linked instead.

I can hear 20kHz, its faint but it's there. Age 34, but that is probably because of the fact I had to have adult ear infection tubes in my ears when I was a kid.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4G60hM1W_mk"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4G60hM1W_mk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • A_Boojum_SnarkA_Boojum_Snark Join Date: 2003-09-07 Member: 20628Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940366:date=May 31 2012, 04:00 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ May 31 2012, 04:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bear in mind there's a limit to what your audio system can produce. The highest note you hear might just be the highest note your sound system can produce.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is what I was going to post. My desktop speakers couldn't do 14k, they are old and I have no idea what they are rated for, but they were free and sound decent. When I put my headphones on I could hear up through 17k, but I recall the package stating their response range only went up to 18k (and that's probably a stretch, not typical of production run or something). Most people won't have any idea what their system can reproduce, and unless everyone is listening with the same speakers, it isn't very useful for comparison.

I also find it funny this is called a mosquito noise... since it isn't really anything like them. In my experience with the damnable things they are much lower pitched with an extremely obvious buzzing tone rather than a sine tone.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    Ok firstly you can't really run the test on your own. You need to do it with several other age brackets standing by. Cos as your cranking the volume going I can hear it faintly the 5 year old would be standing next to you hand over ears going what's the sound make it stop.

My first encounter with high frequency sounds was back in high school. Students like me when digital cell phones came out would get the ultra sonic ringers. Which worked far better than vibrate. Teacher would still hear a phone on vibrate. Or on low volume but with the ultra sonic ringer they were oblivious.

I couldn't hear them even at 16, I got gun shy ears from firing a .444 marlin at age 7. Aka bfg the kind of civilian gun that puts a tiny hole on the way in but looks like some one opened up a umbrella inside something on the way out.

Teachers were oblivious to this until a uni student on placement was a teaching assistant. People got busted bad. It was one think to have your phone ring in class. And ignore it turn it off. Or get it taken off you for the class but to be busted with a ultra sonic ringer, while your texting away. Yeah that got people sent to the princibles office.

If you have a iOS device you can grab apps like dog whistle and so on. The iOS device speakers tend to hit all the right freqz, the dog might go a little crazy, but it's a good way to test if it's working. Yeah once your past a certain age your can still hear it faintly.. ESP if cranked up. But the dog will be going stupid.

Most often if you get a ringing in your ear due to some sort of impact or industrial sound. That is your ear drum. Deleting your ability to hear that freqz ever again. Sort of imagine a hundred thousand tiny crystal wine glass in your ear. If certain freq is played loud enough or long enough. And it shatters one of them glasses. Your ear cant ever hear that glass vibrate again as its shattered into pieces. Also as time goes on you take a few knocks around the head, age, move from house to house a few glasses get broken. Rarely your big thick scotch glass or coffee mug gets broken, which is audio in the normal audiable range.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    That was highly informative NEX9, but now I'm sad that I won't hear some things ever again. Or rather wouldn't be able to even if I did.
    That's ok I can make you feel dirty, ashamed, worthless and insignificant, by telling you your mind makes up rainbows. But it's not my source, I can link it but having trouble finding it. Browny points to the one that does. Should have the link by tomorrow.
    <!--quoteo(post=1941258:date=Jun 3 2012, 06:16 PM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NEX9 @ Jun 3 2012, 06:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can make you feel dirty, ashamed, worthless and insignificant<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Someone is projecting.
    edited June 2012
    Na I am just a realist, futurist, marksist, with poor gramma and spelling
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    You know rainbows are real right.
    oh here i forgot about this.

<a href="http://travismccrea.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/judgement.jpg" target="_blank">http://travismccrea.com/wp-content/uploads...5/judgement.jpg</a>
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1941200:date=Jun 3 2012, 12:45 AM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NEX9 @ Jun 3 2012, 12:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941200"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most often if you get a ringing in your ear due to some sort of impact or industrial sound. That is your ear drum. Deleting your ability to hear that freqz ever again. Sort of imagine a hundred thousand tiny crystal wine glass in your ear. If certain freq is played loud enough or long enough. And it shatters one of them glasses. Your ear cant ever hear that glass vibrate again as its shattered into pieces. Also as time goes on you take a few knocks around the head, age, move from house to house a few glasses get broken. Rarely your big thick scotch glass or coffee mug gets broken, which is audio in the normal audiable range.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Both high impact and continual droning noises will wear out your hearing. One as you mentioned due to blowing parts out. But most of us will lose hearing more from constant droning noises that wear our systems down over time continually.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    I am 20 years old. I can hear 19 sightly at 20 I can bearly hear it at all with my sound full and after that I can here nothing at all

Edit:
    <!--quoteo(post=1940059:date=May 30 2012, 05:17 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ May 30 2012, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, this confused me. I clicked the internal 'video link' annotation on the embedded Youtube and couldn't hear anything (for 12khz). Same for 14. Thought I was stone-deaf, but then I opened the video proper and I can hear it.

Why didn't you just make one long video with a gradual increase?

Anyway, here's my 'stats'. 28 years old (I think). I work around jet engines, afterburners, and gas turbine generators all day. I listen to my music full-blast in my car. However, I have annual hearing exams and they *claim* that I do extremely well. I'm dubious, though I've never seen the results.

I do have very mild tinnitus. When I'm in the soundproof booth, there's a ringing in my ears that is almost deafening, though when I'm out and about I don't notice it.

I'm turning my speakers all the way up, so let's do this.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LNjPmhbPc9I"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LNjPmhbPc9I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On this video I cannot here 19 but on the one at the start of the topic I can
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    46 here - I can only hear up to 14 khz.

Interesting thing with head phones, After some tests I realize I can only hear 14khz in my left ear.

Stupid good for nothing right ear.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969140:date=Aug 31 2012, 05:15 AM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NEX9 @ Aug 31 2012, 05:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969140"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oh here i forgot about this.

<a href="http://travismccrea.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/judgement.jpg" target="_blank">http://travismccrea.com/wp-content/uploads...5/judgement.jpg</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1969585:date=Sep 1 2012, 06:17 AM:name=TinCan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TinCan @ Sep 1 2012, 06:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->46 here - I can only hear up to 14 khz.

Interesting thing with head phones, After some tests I realize I can only hear 14khz in my left ear.

Stupid good for nothing right ear.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah stupid right ear, It should go get it's self sorted. Right ears, sheesh, who needs them