Regarding score

DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I don't really use twitter besides reading updates on stuff, but I did want to put my opinion on it somewhere.

Score is fine being in the game, and I agree that it's an FPS staple. The solution is really simple - get rid of the popups upon scoring points. Leave it as something that only shows up on the scoreboard when you hit tab.

Most other FPS don't have popups to show how many points you just earned. Counter-Strike, Unreal Tournament, or even TF2 where you have varying point amounts per action don't show a number whenever you score. It's generally assumed a kill = one point, and anything beyond that is gravy. I think that will work just fine here.

Comments

• cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    edited May 2012
    Actually i find it quite helpful and rewarding, as it tells you how many points you got for a certain action (killing power node, destroying rt, getting power node up, points for each life form). Since it's not a standard fps and you get different amount of points for different actions.
  • Tool8Tool8 Join Date: 2012-01-01 Member: 139405Members
    To me the "popups" after kills are very rewarding and satisfying.
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    Agreed, I like it. Though there could be an option to turn it off for those like the OP that don't want it.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Agreed, text points popping on screen are really cheap.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i agree that the text indicator feels a little cheesy but there needs to be some sort of visual kill indicator. i use the point display to determine when to stop shooting.
    Sound and death animation maybe ?
  • Forever_rustyForever_rusty Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151314Members
    People like points so much that they ll just sit there humping useless powernodes to get that 15 points and be useless to their team, at least try to balance the point system so that people get incentive to do something helpful. I dont think killing a cyst is has useful as killing a skulk.

anyway, I dont really care about point either, but I'm pretty sure newer players play by them and it makes them useless in pub games.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I actually like them because they are very useful for kill detection. In the middle of fight, when the server is tanking and your FPS is dropping, the +X is generally much more responsive and visible than the player death/structure destruction animation or the top right kill stats in telling you that the player/structure is dead.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1939079:date=May 26 2012, 07:36 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ May 26 2012, 07:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agreed, text points popping on screen are really cheap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I like the text as it makes it easy to tell when you get a kill. I don't really care much about score, but I think the current system works fine. Please don't do a TF2 and remove the k:d from the scoreboard!
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Points provide an incentive to do 'good' and help out in a way other people might not. As long they are actually distributed in a decent way, it helps the game play and gives newbies an idea what to do.

Not having that people will most lilkely focus on killing (as they are used to K/D mattering the most in games) instead of doing crucial work like taking down harvesters.

So, in order to get a good point system the current one could be sightly tweaked to display people who are working on the team much better. This includes:
    <ul><li>Rewarding points for healing/building as gorge</li><li>Rewarding points based on damage and amount built</li><li>Basing the reward for powernodes on the amount of buildings unpowered upon destruction (No points for powernode without buildings, 1 Point for one powering an extractor, much more points for node powering IPs)</li><li>Rewarding following orders</li><li>Killing Cysts sightly rebalanced (higher reward if you cut a huge chain off)</li></ul>

Maybe some more tweaks I can't renember right now
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    When I first started playing, I thought that I was earning resources, not points, on kills. I don't think the point system adds any extra value, so it can easily be discarded.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    The suggestion retweeted (use the TF2 scoreboard/points system) is really good. The current system is really wrong in a number of ways. Obviously, it's a placeholder/work in progress, so that's understandable, but there are already people who think building robo factories is more important than combat because they get more vaguely-defined 'score' for it.
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    Whilst this forum might be full of more enlightened players, there are quite a few fpsers out there who live by the score board - so anything to get them following orders early on is a good thing.

For the same reason kills and deaths should be invisible otherwise players can start trying to top the board when they should be supporting the team more generally (especially lerks spiking when the should be gasing to help cover skulks).
  • World ConstructWorld Construct Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149616Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939185:date=May 26 2012, 09:13 PM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ May 26 2012, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When I first started playing, I thought that I was earning resources, not points, on kills. I don't think the point system adds any extra value, so it can easily be discarded.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This was my experience as well, and it took many games before I realized that I was not earning resources for simple things like destroying power nodes. This also changes the player's strategy dramatically. I think the point pop-ups are unintuitive. In most action based video games anything that pops up on the screen should be important such as health lost, damage done, status changed, etc. A pop-up for score works great in arcade style games, but it is distracting from what the player should be focusing on in a team game.

Rather than discard it entirely, I would also rather see a Team Fortress 2 styled scoreboard.
  • =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i don`t now but are players runing out of complain seriously the points are fine, maybe some adjusting on how much point fore some Actions/kill :)
  • Not FlayraNot Flayra Join Date: 2012-05-18 Member: 152282Members
    Personally, I like the removal of <i>public</i> K/D, a la TF2. It stops 'leet' players from bragging or putting down teammates who might have been performing duties that were more helpful to winning the round than just shooting at things. It should be a visible component of your personal overall score (again, as TF2) but not visible to the team at large (only score), so if someone is being an asshat, you can always just lie about your K:D, and call them a liar. It should also only be a very minor component of overall score.

I would also accede that people score-obsessed are also not too useful; I'd set a timer (five minutes or so, based on PT experimentation) so that the points gained by building a structure are nullified if that structure is destroyed, or recycled while under attack in that period. Alternately, only have it occur if they die while building it. The score-obsessed would be more interested in ensuring that they and their pet structure would stay alive for that (insert reasonable timeframe here) minute period, rather than copping out of a firefight to grab extra points. That or do not grant points for building while an enemy is within X meters (though that would potentially penalize guerrilla phase gates.. anyone building one of those would likely already be win-oriented, rather than pointless e-***** point gathering anyway).
  • World ConstructWorld Construct Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149616Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939216:date=May 27 2012, 12:29 AM:name=Not Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Not Flayra @ May 27 2012, 12:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939216"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally, I like the removal of <i>public</i> K/D, a la TF2. It stops 'leet' players from bragging or putting down teammates who might have been performing duties that were more helpful to winning the round than just shooting at things. It should be a visible component of your personal overall score (again, as TF2) but not visible to the team at large (only score), so if someone is being an asshat, you can always just lie about your K:D, and call them a liar. It should also only be a very minor component of overall score.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This has probably been one of the few reasons that I have ever stayed with TF2 or been able to truly enjoy it. Players can insult each other, but they cannot cite the K:D as a fact that the object of their derision is a bad player. Players must rely on the in-game scoring system to evaluate each other beyond what they see occur in-game.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1939220:date=May 27 2012, 06:52 AM:name=World Construct)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (World Construct @ May 27 2012, 06:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This has probably been one of the few reasons that I have ever stayed with TF2 or been able to truly enjoy it. Players can insult each other, but they cannot cite the K:D as a fact that the object of their derision is a bad player. Players must rely on the in-game scoring system to evaluate each other beyond what they see occur in-game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you are decent you'll get top score all the time anyway :P Oh and dominate about 6 people and dominations are visble (allbeit showing a bugged number last time I played..)
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    In an teambased game like ns2, a KDR is a nogo.
    I saw it in BFBC2: You have hordes of snipers and they do nothing for winning the round, only sitting in bushes and trying to get an good KDR.

A rework of the rewardsystem would be cool.
    Chewing on an extrator to 3% HP and someone pass by then, bite it 1 time and get all the points is not very motivating.
    And assistpoints for lerk and gorge are missing.

I like it how Team Fortress handles this.
  • StarFlyStarFly Join Date: 2012-04-27 Member: 151158Members
    edited May 2012
    And i want points or destroying mines --> More teamwork
    Change The points for killing cysts to 2-3points

and i want a worldwide scoreboard for More Motivation.But only on UWE Servers
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939171:date=May 27 2012, 12:44 AM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ May 27 2012, 12:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please don't do a TF2 and remove the k:d from the scoreboard!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Things like removing k:d from the scoreboard is everything I hate about modern games in a nutshell. Instead of focusing on creating a satisfying gameplay experience, they waste time trying to re-invent the genre, typically by claiming they want to make it accessible for a wider range of players. This mostly just amounts to dumbing down the game in a vain attempt to make it more appealing to players who don't really want to play competitive multiplayer games in the first place -- all the while alienating their core audience, the hardcore FPS players.

NS1 even tried a modified version of k:d removal (teams couldn't see the other team's k:d) in version 1.0, but fortunately the devs had the foresight to remove that limitation for version 2.0. Implementing a TF2 style scoreboard would just be repeating that mistake -- something which has happened too often during the NS2 beta already.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    As a player, I quite like monitoring the scores of my team to see how well I'm doing. Call me old-fashioned but the idea of scoring is something I've always associated with games, anyway.

As a clan-leader, I would find a detailed scoring system quite useful when assessing candidates. K:D happens to be the most important factor that I consider so it would be a shame to lose it from that perspective.
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1939266:date=May 27 2012, 01:14 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ May 27 2012, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Things like removing k:d from the scoreboard is everything I hate about modern games in a nutshell. Instead of focusing on creating a satisfying gameplay experience, they waste time trying to re-invent the genre, typically by claiming they want to make it accessible for a wider range of players. This mostly just amounts to dumbing down the game in a vain attempt to make it more appealing to players who don't really want to play competitive multiplayer games in the first place -- all the while alienating their core audience, the hardcore FPS players.

NS1 even tried a modified version of k:d removal (teams couldn't see the other team's k:d) in version 1.0, but fortunately the devs had the foresight to remove that limitation for version 2.0. Implementing a TF2 style scoreboard would just be repeating that mistake -- something which has happened too often during the NS2 beta already.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 and especially "something which has happened too often during the NS2 beta already."
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I don't even understand how removing K:D from the scoreboard would make the game any more accessible. I think the ns2 community has a stick up their ass about K:D for some reason. Last week a guy posts a thread saying post some of your best scores and 20 people jump down his neck saying "k:d doesn't mean anything!! I got 0-20 and we won!". Those types of threads are just for fun, if you don't want to participate then don't but I don't understand all the hostility. I've seen threads like that for other games going into 100 pages as people post their best scores and banter with each other.

Personally I think k:d is one of the core things I associate with a good fps. I've always loved comparing k:d and stats and getting good scores when I'm playing well. To me, "score" like in tf2 is meaningless. I much prefer it as it is now, score being separate from k:d if it's going to be included.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    You guys are forgetting that the NS2 community is afraid of KDR as a concept, because it doesn't show off how good everyone is at making hydras and hiding the whole game!
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1939300:date=May 27 2012, 04:54 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 27 2012, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939300"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys are forgetting that the NS2 community is afraid of KDR as a concept, because it doesn't show off how good everyone is at making hydras and hiding the whole game!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bull.

We're afraid of it, because it is without a shade of doubt, the #1 stat. Everyone knows it. That's why, when people like internetexplorer here, post threads to diss people dissing KDR, they turn into flamefests.

KDR makes bad teamplay enough AS IT IS. KDR is a good stat and should be used BUT THAT'S IT. It doesn't need people promoting it. At all. Zero. Nada. Zip.
    There is a fundamental problem with trying to assign <i>quantitative</i> scores in games, like "this action reward X points, this action Y points".

The only way it can succeed, is if the game is very simple and the dev's can "figure it out" completely. This should, hopefully, be impossible with ns2.

So what we get is score that don't reflect correctly the meaning of their actions to the players.

I think having non-quantitative scores would be better, that is +1 for any action (killing skulk, killing onos or hive = +1). Also not in the center of the screen...
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I could live without any scores at all.