mines

c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
<div class="IPBDescription">need a change</div>i think the mines as they actually are need to be changed

the explosion-delay is making them much weaker than they used to be

a fast lifeform can blow a lot up without getting hurt much

the explosion-delay missing its goal imo, which makes them pretty weak compared to their costs

Comments

• RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    Mines mess with the way an enemy can move during a fight and/or soften them up. They're fairly expensive, but they can be of great help to hold a position early in the match. They also help prevent ambushes and occasionally skulks sneaking into your base.
  • c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1936179:date=May 14 2012, 10:21 AM:name=Rover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rover @ May 14 2012, 10:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mines mess with the way an enemy can move during a fight and/or soften them up. They're fairly expensive, but they can be of great help to hold a position early in the match. They also help prevent ambushes and occasionally skulks sneaking into your base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

with leap you can blow up a lot of mines, as a skulk, without dying.
    and even if you die, there are no Res For Kill like @ns1 you get paid back

so the cost/use -factor is horrible!

why should i spend my res on them? just to weaken unwarily lifeforms during a fight?

and asmovement and gameplay physics improve, they probably are going to become worse :/
  • haprohapro Join Date: 2012-03-27 Member: 149492Members
    Mines can be game-changing if used effectively in the first 8 minutes or so. Their usefulness declines with time. I think that's how it should be.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>c0ke:</b></u>

Fades need to take full damage from mines otherwise I think they're fine right now with the 3 other classes having a way to deal with them

Although Stomp killing the mines instead of disabling them does get honorable mention

If a Onos is dumb enough to walk over a huge group of mines I'd say the Marines deserve that kill
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    Mines seems to be thrown in the game for fun factor because from my experience they have never changed the tide of a game. Only thing I can think them to be useful for is covering phase gates / observatories / powernodes early game... and that is if your team can't shoot and etc.

1 lerk or team player skulk will destroy those mines in short notice anyway.

Mines are more of an annoyance than anything else. I'm not saying they are completely useless but I would rather spend that 10 tres and 15 pres on something more useful in the long run (Or short run).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I tend to agree with what has been said here, I mean they are only tier 0 tech. There isn't a reason why they should be able to take out a tier2 or 3 life form... Although 20 mines on a doorway with an Onos trying to escape and neglecting to spot em is something to behold :P
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    Mines also suffer from being the only weapon in the game that is essentially pres to use at 5 pres per mine. The hydra used to be the mines equivalent.
    Mines are also pretty much worthless once fades are out.

I wouldn't mind seeing them changed similar to the hydra. Spend 15 res and you can only place 3 mines at a time, but its reusable. It wouldn't change much in the early game, except teams wouldn't be able to mass spam them (probably a good thing). It would reward players for staying alive, and they would actually be somewhat useful mid to late game.
  • c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1936224:date=May 14 2012, 02:22 PM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ May 14 2012, 02:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mines also suffer from being the only weapon in the game that is essentially pres to use at 5 pres per mine. The hydra used to be the mines equivalent.
    Mines are also pretty much worthless once fades are out.

I wouldn't mind seeing them changed similar to the hydra. Spend 15 res and you can only place 3 mines at a time, but its reusable. It wouldn't change much in the early game, except teams wouldn't be able to mass spam them (probably a good thing). It would reward players for staying alive, and they would actually be somewhat useful mid to late game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

good point and comparison with the hydra-model here. it makes sense and could actually work out

i just wonder if there also is a way to buff mines lategame, SGs also do not lose their worth that massivly over time and do not cost much more. the marine's upgrades are significantly involved here so what if upgrades would also affect the mines in some way? (e.g. shorten the timer, more damage, or other minor buffs?)
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    Sounds nice. Maybe an own costly upgrade for the mines in the advanced armory or proto lab. (To make sure it is a late-game upgrade.)
    That will change the mines to laser-grid-mines or something.

Effect: The armor, damage and activation range of new placed mines is drastically increased but only damage the one target that sets them of. (They launch a projectile that flies into the alien and explodes in the body.)

This way they are less useful against groups of skulks (to not further weaken the skulk in late-game) but more useful against higher lifeforms. And it adds one more upgrade choice for the marines in late game.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited May 2012
    What if they caused a somewhat distorted visual/audio effect for an alien that survived a blast?
    Im not talking anything major like disabling movement speed, just something minor to make mines more of a 'battle aid'

and honestly i dont think any form of life fiction or real would be quite 100% after being next to a blast like that :/
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1936231:date=May 14 2012, 03:26 PM:name=c0ke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (c0ke @ May 14 2012, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->good point and comparison with the hydra-model here. it makes sense and could actually work out

i just wonder if there also is a way to buff mines lategame, SGs also do not lose their worth that massivly over time and do not cost much more. the marine's upgrades are significantly involved here so what if upgrades would also affect the mines in some way? (e.g. shorten the timer, more damage, or other minor buffs?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Add a mine upgrade at the advanced armory for 5-10 res. A problem with mines late game is that they are easily taken out without dealing damage en masse by blink, shadowstep and stomp (not to mention lerks and gorges taking them out at range). Of course, if they were reusable like I mentioned, it would lessen the sting of losing them so easily. However the upgrade could prevent mines from detonating when they detect it was a fade blinking/SSing, and won't detonate with stomp but are disabled momentarily like buildings. Call the upgrade "smart mines" or something similar. Add in a minor damage buff with the upgrade for good measure.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think mines should be more like structures then 'exploding mines'.

I.e. Instead of exploding, they contain an electrical charge. When an alien runs over it, they discharge - and then have to re-charge. During this period, an alien (if it has not died) can then munch it until it is destroyed.

This would mean that aliens couldn't just destroy at will, and would actually provide greater use as more permanent (but less lethal) defensive structures.

I have always said there needs to be two types of defensive structures, and I stick by that still.

Something less lethal with a short range (so aliens can pass through an area easily) that can be used for protecting buildings, weakens life forms and allows marines to mop up when there is a threat in the base.

Something extremely lethal that essentially blocks off map routes to the aliens. Because really the alien team is about damage per second, and the fact they can keep throwing themselves at points on the map due to their speed. This would prevent that and force them to play the marine game.
  • =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    well mines have never been fun in game and never gonna be!!!! and the mines is good now,, if you lose 50% of your health by leep over a mine that is bad in combat and you will properly gonna end up dead,, they are good to defend early structures fore skulk. i dont se have player miss this :)
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    Mines are for traps. If you're not into making traps you shouldn't buy mines. A concentrated blast of 3 mines can kill a fade if you wittle its health down a bit and lure it into the mines. Just make sure you body block him from shadowstepping the mines. Also works well for killing greedy lerks and large groups of skulks if you suicide into the middle of them and lay a bunch of mines. They have enough use. However, I really don't think that Onos stomp needs to destroy them, but that's a whole other redundant subject.
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1936388:date=May 15 2012, 10:33 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ May 15 2012, 10:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936388"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think mines should be more like structures then 'exploding mines'.

I.e. Instead of exploding, they contain an electrical charge. When an alien runs over it, they discharge - and then have to re-charge. During this period, an alien (if it has not died) can then munch it until it is destroyed.

This would mean that aliens couldn't just destroy at will, and would actually provide greater use as more permanent (but less lethal) defensive structures.

I have always said there needs to be two types of defensive structures, and I stick by that still.

Something less lethal with a short range (so aliens can pass through an area easily) that can be used for protecting buildings, weakens life forms and allows marines to mop up when there is a threat in the base.

Something extremely lethal that essentially blocks off map routes to the aliens. Because really the alien team is about damage per second, and the fact they can keep throwing themselves at points on the map due to their speed. This would prevent that and force them to play the marine game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like the idea mine itself being permanent. Although I would still make mines reusable much like the hydra...(<i>since they are "nano-constructed" or some fluff</i>).

Since they can still be destroyed, it would still make them the only pres to use ability (much like the hydra use to be) if they weren't reusable.

If reusable, I would give them 2 modes (by rmb clicking like the pistol). One is the one-time explosion (like we have now), but make it less lethal since they are reusable...and since really we should always promote player combat over defensive structure kills. In other mode, the mines emit a constant AoE electrical DoT. It doesn't do crazy damage and it shouldn't stack, but its enough so that a skulk and even a fade cannot afford to stay there very long. Destroying the mine while in this mode detonates it. It would essentially mimic electrify from NS1, since it would be used to defend structures more than anything.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1936172:date=May 14 2012, 04:59 PM:name=c0ke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (c0ke @ May 14 2012, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think the mines as they actually are need to be changed

the explosion-delay is making them much weaker than they used to be

a fast lifeform can blow a lot up without getting hurt much

the explosion-delay missing its goal imo, which makes them pretty weak compared to their costs<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    agreed! has been bugging me too
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    Has anyone mentioned that they're really hard to see with the new skin? because they are.
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    approves of mines the way they are
  • LankaLanka Join Date: 2012-04-26 Member: 151106Members
    Even later-game upgrade that would hide mines from Aliens' heatvision would be improvement. They'd be harder to snipe/bile out when they don't glow orange on black bg but still visible without the vision - unless you manage to actually hide them behind corner or in ceiling etc.

That with little improvement to what the mine does when fade dashes through it. Perhaps it should just ignore fades? I mean, you can still snipe them out but 1 fade couldn't just laade-daa dash through whole area and blow up dozens of mines..

Currently they have limited end-game use when put above doorways to blow up Lerks or luring Fade/Onos in trap but they are so damn visible with the alienvision that it's very hard to conceal them to be any useful.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1938811:date=May 25 2012, 02:47 AM:name=FrankerZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FrankerZ @ May 25 2012, 02:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->approves of mines the way they are<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^this. They work well for what there needed for. Skulks , and dumb lerks. It's all about placement.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    They work well early game.

Late game they are more a signal to me ... like an alarm.
  • RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1938881:date=May 25 2012, 07:58 AM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ May 25 2012, 07:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They work well early game.

Late game they are more a signal to me ... like an alarm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's a lot of res to waste for one time use alarm switches.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    I still get killed by mines all the time as a skulk. I think they're fine the way they are.
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    Mines are good if you actually place them in clever spots. If you put them out in the open no ###### they are gonna get destroyed. But putting them on the sides of pillars or doorways where aliens frequently travel through many times they aren't easily spotted and can do quite a bit of damage if you have enough.

If you are just going to load up on them to put on the ground then, you really shouldn't be wasting res on them
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    If this game wasn't silly, spending 15 pres to kill a skulk and wound a lerk would never be practical!
    edited May 2012
    I dont think anyone is denying that they are effective early game against skulks, late game you are just wasting res. Sure you can get that sneaky lerk or fade kill, but those are exceptions. Plus, its not exactly awesome, skill based gameplay insta-killing players with defensive structures. I'd rather see less lethal but reusable mines. Ensure that players need to follow up to take full advantage of it. Once exos comes around, I suspect few marine players will bother with mines past the first 5 minutes...and even then its doubtful. 15 pres for only 3 limited use mines...again, its the only weapon/ability in the game thats pres to use.
  • StarFlyStarFly Join Date: 2012-04-27 Member: 151158Members
    You should be able to build mines on structures.(or on marines as suicideunit :)