Drifters

RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited May 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Current Role</div>I think the drifter has taken a really great change for the better in its recent implementation, and compensates beautifully for the lack of hive sight when walking on infestation.

I have found myself popping out 3 at the beginning of games, and once I know where the marine start is I send them off to the other tech points or choke points to scout.

Enzyme is also a really great addition, I have found myself using it but with two downsides.

1. Not sure if it is visual to the marines, or whether the drifter becomes visible once cast (I am in two minds about this) but it does move when out of range... I think for it not to move when it is out of range would make it feel clunky, but there needs to be a 'range circle' so I know I can cast it safely without the drifter moving and becoming noticed.

2. Range is far too low, I think it could be doubled. I tend to stick drifters in spots where marines will not step or fire into. This means that it is slightly father back from the tech point than its range, and that tends to be where fights occur. (Around Extractors/Tech Points) This is debatable for reasons of balance.

The important point is though, as I start to use them I am increasingly more aware of them as a 'useable' unit. With the CRAG/SHIFT/SHADE I only ever tend to use them where they are placed - next to Tech Points/Harvesters. As you only use their abilities when you are being attacked, or near your hive, they sort of become under used and under valued.

Why not move these abilities to the drifter as well, as an extension of the structures? I think UMBRA/ENZYME/etc would be used more, as you have that dynamic ability to cast them anywhere on the map, and you would be more aware of the drifters value as NPC.

It might also aide in the end game, as you could use drifters to umbra/enzyme the marine's base, and I think it would make for some really interesting and tactical game play.

Comments

• ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    The reason for the drifters removal (the rant about it not tying in with the alien commanders "direct interaction" with the environment which Charlie found especially moving) still plagues even this new model. Having to move around a finicky little life form which dies from the slightest of touches is not what I would think being a cosmic gardener would involve. The enzyme ability should be given to mature cysts, and released in the surrounding area.

My opinion on the matter is; if it isn't a structure, the alien commander shouldn't have to interact with it.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    It's true the static umbra is not the most interesting thing ever.

But in general I don't like the idea of having mana based combat spells in game, it really smells like some kind of cheesy mmo.

I'd rather see the gorge get umbra and play like the defiler's dark-swarm, but that's always a problem with khamm/gorge so it's not really specific to the topic.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    My issue with static structures doing these jobs is that they never get used, because it does not allow for dynamic tactical deployment, or fluidity.

If you are attacking somewhere on the map, you have pre-planned so in your head. You communicate with your team and go about it.

For instance, whips and arcs ACTUALLY get used pro-actively. Whips less so because they are just a bit of a faff.. but I see more and more whip rushing.

If somewhere on the map is attacked, often you take time to react to this. Usually by this time the fight has occurred and ended. UMBRA sort of becomes useless, and I usually only see it being used when aliens are on the last hive and doing everything they can to prevent defeat.

Who uses the rupture ability on cysts for example? I try to, but because it is only ever used 'defensively' it is never really used. For instance, how many times have you ever had a cyst rupture on you? I don't think I can ever remember a time...

Essentially, locking these abilities to static structures with the speed the game runs at means the commander has to be in that area, aware of an impending attacking and that the marine also has to get close enough for these abilities to work. This also has to occur within the time frame of the attack. You basically need several factors to occur before they become useful.

Seems like a waste of some cool abilities. I guess I get tired of just plonking down structures and not really finding a great use for them. The whip is the only alien structure I 'enjoy' using because it is the complete opposite of the others.
    <!--quoteo(post=1938417:date=May 23 2012, 03:15 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ May 23 2012, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My issue with static structures doing these jobs is that they never get used, because it does not allow for dynamic tactical deployment, or fluidity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This doesn't sound like the alien commander to me. This sounds like the marine commander. Some people enjoy the fast paced gameplay that such an approach brings, I do not however, which is why I was excited by the approach the alien commander was meant to take, and why I enjoy playing alien commander now.

I see the marine commander as a low maintenance, high offence approach, while the alien commander is a high maintenance low offence approach. To me, the alien commander should care more about what he already has. If your minions happen to clear an area, you encroach into it, but you are never actively assaulting a location, as the marine commander does. This is why I dislike the idea of having any meaningful presence off infestation.

<!--quoteo(post=1938417:date=May 23 2012, 03:15 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ May 23 2012, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who uses the rupture ability on cysts for example? I try to, but because it is only ever used 'defensively' it is never really used. For instance, how many times have you ever had a cyst rupture on you? I don't think I can ever remember a time...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The rupture ability is just so bad right now. Why do you want a mature cyst? To get the rupture ability. What does the rupture ability do? Destroys the mature cyst.
    What...
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    One thing that might be neat is when you choose a hive type it unlocks an ability specifically of that hive type on the drifter. So if you say go crag hive your drifter gains the ability to use umbra, or if you go shade it gains phantasm or something. (not sure on the shift as I haven't seen all the abilities) The structures themselves retain 2 abilities each rather than 3. One baseline ability and one mature ability. Something like this would promote more drifter use and create more of that trade off they are looking for with hive energy. The scouting ability of the drifter alone makes them worth it, especially since infestation doesn't grant hivesight but I still see pub comms not taking advantage of them (resulting in ninja phase gates every which way).

One problem with this is that if the 3 drifter abilities it gains aren't balanced well this could cause the aliens to become even more locked into crag hive first (as umbra is amazing).
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see the marine commander as a low maintenance, high offence approach, while the alien commander is a high maintenance low offence approach. To me, the alien commander should care more about what he already has. If your minions happen to clear an area, you encroach into it, but you are never actively assaulting a location, as the marine commander does. This is why I dislike the idea of having any meaningful presence off infestation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Didn't Charlie say this was his route? So it is hard to argue with that. My only thought is that this would really give the alien comm that support ability that perhaps it lacks.

I understand that it is more asymmetric, but perhaps the alien comm is too disconnected from the life forms?

I think the drifter sort of works in this aspect, because of its weakness. As you are either:

1. Using it to scout.

2. Supporting, not actively attacking.

You couldn't take a drifter into a room in its current state like you can an ARC.

Also, I don't think it would be fast paced because the drifter sort of sits there and gets used when cloaked. They always get shot to pieces if you try to run them in somewhere.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1938412:date=May 23 2012, 02:02 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ May 23 2012, 02:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The enzyme ability should be given to mature cysts, and released in the surrounding area.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Costing tres? Otherwise marines'll be fighting their way to the hives through a constant cloud of enzymes..
    <!--quoteo(post=1938425:date=May 23 2012, 03:32 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ May 23 2012, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938425"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Didn't Charlie say this was his route? So it is hard to argue with that. My only thought is that this would really give the alien comm that support ability that perhaps it lacks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1938426:date=May 23 2012, 03:34 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 23 2012, 03:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Costing tres? Otherwise marines'll be fighting their way to the hives through a constant cloud of enzymes..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Both of these kind of support the way I see the dynamic between marines and aliens in conflict.

The alien commander has little to no ability to support isolated players. However, he should have the ability to massively support players when they are in alien controlled locations. Fighting an alien on infestation should be suicide. A marine should not be able to simply take a shotgun and walk into the alien hive, killing everything along his path. There should be an invisible (though aesthetically visible) front line of sorts, between the infested areas, and the powered areas. Each team trying to push into the others territory. Marines venturing onto alien infestation should be quickly overpowered and dispatched. Aliens venturing out of infested areas should find themselves unsupported and weak. Conflicts in no man's land should be even, but essentially obsolete in terms of the bigger picture.

It seems to me that a lot of elements currently in the game <i>support</i> this kind of dynamic, but in its absence, they become misshapen mechanics that serve to annoy players more than anything else. ARC trains which simply roll through everything in their path, only to deploy right next to the hive and destroy it. Onos who leave their hive, run through marine controlled areas, directly to marine spawn and destroy the power node. These things should require possession to move reliably, rather than just having free reign over the entire map.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    The problem with that approach is that it makes games very hard to end, for marines in this case, as they would need overwhelming power and support to get through a more or less constantly buffed alien team. And you can't get that without teams being stacked.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    An even greater problem is that it creates static, boring games. This is exactly the reason why infestation hivesight was removed.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    edited May 2012
    I feel like drifters complicate the alien commander's role in the game.

The wonderful thing about an RTS with real players as units is not having to micro manage units. When abilities like enzyme and umbra are tied to structures for their use, it drags that micro managing back in. You're forced to act through the crags and drifters, instead of simply acting.

The marine commander can drop heath and ammo out of thin air, so why not allow the alien comm to use abilities like enzyme wherever they want on the map? Or limit it to infestation, even.

Researching the abilities through structures is good policy, but when those abilities are allowed only with those structures it limits their usability and ultimately they get forgotten.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1938412:date=May 23 2012, 03:02 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ May 23 2012, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The reason for the drifters removal (the rant about it not tying in with the alien commanders "direct interaction" with the environment which Charlie found especially moving) still plagues even this new model. Having to move around a finicky little life form which dies from the slightest of touches is not what I would think being a cosmic gardener would involve. The enzyme ability should be given to mature cysts, and released in the surrounding area.

My opinion on the matter is; if it isn't a structure, the alien commander shouldn't have to interact with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
    very well said